Ya got a daily routine?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2013/09/27 12:09:51 (permalink)

Ya got a daily routine?

How about sharing it...Mine revolves around the restaurant, wake up, do my bathroom routine, toast, coffee read 2 newspapers, walk my dogs, come here, do the register and books, listen to employee problems, interact with customers, go somewhere else for lunch, half the time, go home, read for 2 hours, back here till around 7, home, a few vodka cranrasberrys watching some tv, sleep by 9:30...boring! 
PS. Post here when appropriate!

16 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3497
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 12:29:09 (permalink)
    Routine? What's that? There is literally not an hour of day or night when I have not had to begin work or when I have not ended work. The only time I have anything resembling a routine is if I have a day off: Get up about 11am, catch up on stuff online for a couple of hours, eat lunch, either housework or reading for a while depending on what needs to be done, dinner at 6pm while watching the news, then reading/working online/making jewelry in the evening (if I don't go out, which I usually do on Monday or Tuesday) until I go to sleep generally around 4am.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6801
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 12:34:45 (permalink)
    After nearly 30 years in the restaurant biz here's my routine now:  get up when I want, shower when I want, get dressed when I want, have lunch when I want, do whatever I want to all afternoon and evening.  Dinner around 8:30-9:00.  Watch what I want on TV, go to bed when I want.  I guess it's called "retirement" and it suits me just fine!! 
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 12:40:22 (permalink)
    5:45am  -wake up
    6am    -log in to work. (I work from home)
    8:15am   -take a break and do school/daycare run
    8:45  - go to gym
    9:30 log back into work
    Noon - lunch break
    3pm - done with work - go pick up kids

rest of the day is wide open but always ends with 10-10:30pm bedtime
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18426
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 12:55:43 (permalink)
    lleechef

I guess it's called "retirement" and it suits me just fine!! 

Retirement? That explains a lot.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13493
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 13:45:55 (permalink)
    Quite frankly for some retirement sucks and I happened to be one of them.  I am 72 and I still work after retiring twice and I may retire a  third time.  I realize some may enjoy just doing nothing but that does not work for me.  I have been semi retired since 2005 and I still rise at 4:00AM and my morning routine is still the same.  I just took another consulting job and it appears that I will be working for another few years. 

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2390
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 14:13:37 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

lleechef

I guess it's called "retirement" and it suits me just fine!! 

Retirement? That explains a lot.

And she could go to Alaska when she want's..........then your back to eating Chef Boyardee Ravioli, four way if you like...........

I think the post count has doubled since Chewy came back. I missed all the non food related posts in a food related site.........it's more like Dear Abby

The only Routine I will have, will be when I die. I figure I'm not going to bath, eat, or travel as much then.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 18:15:42 (permalink)
    I never said I do nothing.......I do a lot, every day.  But at least now I have a life.  For 30 years it was get up, go to the restaurant, work 12-14 hours a day, go home, go to sleep.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Over and over and over.  No social life, no lunches or dinners out, no drinks with friends, everything is closed at 1AM when I got home from work so nothing to do and even if there was, I was too tired, one day off a week.  Never had a weekend off or a holiday off.  Now I do! 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 18:33:31 (permalink)
    Wake Up
    Bathroom Routine
    Dressed
    Out the Door
    Tinker / Work / Play / Shop
    Afternoon to the office
    Work / Post / Research
    Home
    Dinner
    TV
    Sleep

Repeat - Repeat - Repeat...
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 18:39:24 (permalink)
    lleechef

I never said I do nothing.......I do a lot, every day.  But at least now I have a life.  For 30 years it was get up, go to the restaurant, work 12-14 hours a day, go home, go to sleep.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Over and over and over.  No social life, no lunches or dinners out, no drinks with friends, everything is closed at 1AM when I got home from work so nothing to do and even if there was, I was too tired, one day off a week.  Never had a weekend off or a holiday off.  Now I do! 

That is the *(^%**^ about life in the restaurant biz.
    Work late, too wired to sleep, so finally get to sleep about 5 or 6 am only to sleep a couple hours and right back into it.

Friends not understanding how a person could "sleep ALL day".  I finally got to the point of disconnecting my phone while I was home.

I do miss it at times, there is NOTHING like the adrenaline rush of a busy kitchen, back against the wall, neck deep in the weeds, sweat pouring out your body, the feel of the heat on your face from the salamander or the steam table in front of you, or the smell of burnt hair when grabbing something across the saute line.

Ahh but you can only live on adrenaline/booze and restaurant food so long
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13493
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 18:54:31 (permalink)
    lleechef

Lisa:  That is the most boring of life.  I cannot think of anything worse than that.  I am glad you got a life now.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

pnwchef
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 19:30:22 (permalink)
    lleechef

All that, and you loved it...............It's in your Blood and soul, the worst job you will ever love..........I don't miss it either, but, I loved it when I was doing it. I was good at it, I loved the rush and the high of doing something good...............
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3497
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 22:00:53 (permalink)
    That's one of the reasons why stagehands and people who work in restaurants/bars tend to hang together...same goofy hours and lack of social life.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/27 23:21:49 (permalink)
    pnwchef

lleechef

All that, and you loved it...............It's in your Blood and soul, the worst job you will ever love..........I don't miss it either, but, I loved it when I was doing it. I was good at it, I loved the rush and the high of doing something good...............

I loved it.  I was married to it.  It was my life.  Nothing mattered but my career so there was no time for a marriage or kids.  I had several goals as a chef and obtained them all.  4 1/2 stars out of 5 in the Boston Globe in a review....  it was wonderful.  But 30 years later I don't want to work 100 hours a week, and eat, sleep and think.......menus, specials, restaurant and more restaurant.  I paid my dues.  Now I don't know how I had time to work........but at least now I have a life and do things on MY schedule.
    All you chefs out there know exactly what I'm talking about.

pnwchef
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/28 09:11:49 (permalink)
    lleechef

pnwchef

lleechef

I loved it.  I was married to it.  It was my life.  Nothing mattered but my career so there was no time for a marriage or kids.  I had several goals as a chef and obtained them all.  4 1/2 stars out of 5 in the Boston Globe in a review....  it was wonderful.  But 30 years later I don't want to work 100 hours a week, and eat, sleep and think.......menus, specials, restaurant and more restaurant.  I paid my dues.  Now I don't know how I had time to work........but at least now I have a life and do things on MY schedule.
    All you chefs out there know exactly what I'm talking about.

Lisa, give it your all, or bust..........I did that for the first 20 yrs, Hotels, private clubs and Restaurants. Then I got in Hospitals and Contract feeding. The last 15 years I had my own Food Service Management company, it gave me the chance to do everything I loved to do,  and still have a life. There were times I still had to eat, drink and sleep the job, but that was fun, knowing it wasn't forever. I wanted my cake and eat it too. Looking back, what I really loved about this business was, self-satisfaction.........I look back, from starting as a catering steward in Hawaii, to being a Chef/business owner, I have no regrets........it was a good ride....Bill

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/28 10:46:06 (permalink)
    Bill, you are right about the self-satisfaction.  I often went out on a limb......like seeing whole hybrid striped bass being unloaded at my fish purveyor while waiting for my order.  I said, I'll take a dozen.  Got to the restaurant and the guys said, "What the hell are we gonna do with those?"  I said, "We're gonna score them and grill them whole with olive oil and fresh herbs, like on the Riviera."  (It was summer.)  And if we don't sell them, we'll eat them ourselves.  Sold out in 30 minutes.  The feeling was, YEAH!  WE DID IT!  Yep, I had a good ride too.......but it's a younger person's gig!
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Ya got a daily routine? 2013/09/29 12:54:04 (permalink)
    My life is routine....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1