Yakitori recipes

Author
Meaniejr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/12/20 12:16:51 (permalink)

Yakitori recipes

Hi there, I'm desperately seeking a yakitori recipe. I'm looking for the one the you would find on any Chinese buffet rest. The ones they have there appear redish/pink and are very good. I'm making it this weekend and I'm trying very hard to find the recipe.

Can anyone help??

5 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Yakitori recipes 2006/12/20 12:39:14 (permalink)

We enjoyed YakiTori purchased from street vendors for a very small fee during my service time on Hokkaido, Northern Japan. It would be considered Fair or Finger food here.At just a few cents per skewer, we would buy a dozen or so and eat them as we wandered around town in our off-duty time. It does go great with Beer!

Yakitori

Making Yakitori (Tare)
    Ingredients:(make 4 servings)

2 chicken breasts
    1 medium leek
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp sake
    3 tbsp mirin
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    A good Teriyaki sauce can be substituted for the sauce ingredients listed here (except the Sake)
    *Bamboo skewers (soaked in water to prevent burning)

How to Cook:

Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
    Cut the leek into 1 inch lengths Skewer the chicken and leek pieces in alternating order.
    Mix sugar, sake, mirin, and soy sauce in a bowl.
    Grill the skewered chicken over hot coals, basting with teriyaki sauce until the chicken is cooked.

GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Yakitori recipes 2006/12/20 18:42:29 (permalink)
    If you're talking about the red bbq pork you find in Chinese restaurants, you're probably talking about char siu bbq pork, rather than yakatori, which is Japanese.

Google around and you'll find many recipes. Here's one; it would be easy to adapt to bamboo skewers:

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/pork/r/charsiu.htm
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Yakitori recipes 2006/12/20 18:57:18 (permalink)

Gordon, A lot of the Chinese Buffets have skewers of rubber chicken as one of the menu items. I believe they are baked not grilled. They are usually quite dry and very chewy.

The real YakiTori (Japanese) is grilled and dipped into the Teriyaki-like sauce before and after the grilling. Why anyone would want to duplicate the crummy chicken found on the buffets is beyond me?
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Yakitori recipes 2006/12/23 08:33:03 (permalink)
    Yakitori basically means grilled chicken or grilled fowl. I had whole sparrows w/ a skewer shoved up them and them grilled put in front of me one day in Yakitori bar in Iwakuni Japan to see if I would eat it. Not gutted, head on and only lightly grilled...I ate only one. Turns out the sparrows eat the rice crop so the farmers started netting the sparrows and eating them. Now very expensive.

The original question is just a bit off. Yakitori is a Japanese bar food not something red on a Chinese buffet. Do a Google search for yakitori recipe...but it won't come out red.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: Yakitori recipes 2006/12/23 09:47:34 (permalink)
    I do think that the OP meant the skewered chicken on a stick found on a lot of Chinese buffets. What we jokingly call rat on a stick.

I'd say marinate chicken chunks for a couple hours in teriyaki sauce, skewer onto soaked bamboo skewers and grill over a hot fire for a few minutes.

My Costco doesn't carry teriyaki sauce but they do carry the very good Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce. Some Costco's do carry the Yoshida teriyaki.

I used to make my own teriyaki but soon found I could buy the excellent Yoshida sauce cheaper.

MikeS.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1