Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors.

Author
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
2011/05/12 19:41:53 (permalink)

Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors.

http://consumerist.com/20...ew-in-n-out-opens.html

28 Replies Related Threads

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/12 22:46:34 (permalink)
    That picture was in the Dallas Morning News today.  It said she and her father waited in line for "nearly 14 hours."  I thought it meant she was first in line, but now that I reread it there is no mention of that.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4219
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/13 07:50:17 (permalink)
    In-N-Out has done a masterful launch here in the DFW "Metroplex".  As the former owner of a fast-food franchise, I am impressed. 

• Just to make sure that their supply chain is both efficient and quality-controlled they established a distribution center here in DFW before even beginning construction of their first two stores in Allen and Frisco (ultra-clean, ultra-safe, fast-growing suburbs of Dallas).

• They are paying a minimum starting wage of $10/hr. to assure that they will be able to "skim the cream" of the fast-food labor pool.

• As you only get one chance to make a first impression, they have opened both locations with "all-star" crews flown in from Cali. 

• They have no present need to advertise because they have gotten loads of "free media" in the papers, T.V. and radio. 

• Their prices (do a freeze frame on the video above) seem to undercut the two Five Guys in the same market by at least 40%!

Mrs. Metro and I will be (trying to do) lunch there tomorrow if there is no more than a 10 minute wait and I will definitely be back to report on the food (and how it compares to the "Guys").
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/05/13 07:53:02
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/13 08:25:00 (permalink)
    I'm envious.  Too bad it's such a long drive for me!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/13 11:16:36 (permalink)
    In and Out was always on the top of the list for my HS and Jr College students looking for jobs (while still in school). As Jim pointed out they paid above the minimum and even offered benefits to the part-time workers (10 years ago). While some of the 'slackers' amongst the students didn't say much, the majority of the kids liked the 'crew-team' organization at the local stores. These used an incentive program for the crews to increase productivity. Kind of a primitive form of profit sharing...and it seemed to work .
      I hope the franchisees keep the SoCal standards and make a good living in Texas !
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/13 13:00:00 (permalink)
    According to today's paper Heart Attack Grill is also opening in Dallas this week.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/13 15:34:15 (permalink)
    I have visited the in and out many times over the years while we are racing in Pomona with NHRA.  There was one close to the hotel and the burgers we OK.  Nothing special but when we leave the races late with a bit of beverages, we were hungry for some grease and they did the job.  Al advised me of another place close by that was outstanding and I believe it was Farmers something.  In and out is OK but I certainly would not stand in line for one of whatever they have.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/14 07:11:15 (permalink)
    Sounds like In n Out is expanding.  Any plans to move farther east from Texas?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/14 10:56:57 (permalink)
    Since they now have a distribution center in DFW I would guess that they are looking at a 250 mile radius.  That would include Tulsa, OKC, Houston, San Antonio, & Austin: 20,000,000 population.  As they are a "family firm" that will take them more than a few years to digest - especially if they intend to keep the firm quality control that has brought them such success in Cali. 

250 miles East of DFW barely includes Texarkana.  If I had to guess, their next distribution center would probably be on the I-95 corridor of the Eastern Seaboard somewhere between DC and Philly.  Because of taxes, I'd guess Wilmington, DE.  After that, probably Orlando or Cairo, IL. 
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/14 19:13:23 (permalink)
    I am soooo jealous!!! I hope Metroplex Jim is right about his Orlando prediction. 
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    HDtravlr1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/15 02:49:18 (permalink)
    I am hoping on a Tulsa location!
    Just ate at the Las Vegas location on Flamingo Thursday. It was packed and great fast food.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/15 10:39:08 (permalink)
    In N Out, may do it better than the other burger chains, but thats about it. I expected thicker burgers with a good quality taste, what I got was a thin burger that was just a burger. I ordered mine Double Double animal style, My burger was good, not great, the two other burgers that were just burger & bun, onions and ketchup were dry, and IMHO just like any other burger chain. I can get better quality at my locally owner burger joint. I think most people don't want to talk about the Chain, that would be "not" fitting in to the burger hype movement.............pnwc
    post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/05/15 13:34:03
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/15 12:52:00 (permalink)
    I found the burger that I had at In-N-Out to be pretty ordinary. The veggies were fresh, and the burgers are grilled on a flat-top when you order them, which is better than the national chains. I don't remember the pricing, but I'd prefer a burger from In-N-Out then from McWendyKing. The fries were definitely mealy and inferior.

Huntington Beach In-N-Out

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/15 15:59:53 (permalink)
    We just tried to go to the Allen location at 2:30 Sunday afternoon (usually a very slow time for fast food).  Cars were lined up 1/2 mile in both directions for drive-thru and people parking across a six lane road formed a crowd of at least 100 milling about in front of the store waiting to get in.  So, we'll wait a while to give it a try. 
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/16 08:58:03 (permalink)
    This is sounding like a repeat of "Sonic Comes to New Jersey", when for weeks there were traffic jams (and occasional fights, it's New Jersey) around the two that opened. And unlike what I read above, from what I heard Sonic didn't do anything to smooth the introduction to the area. 

C'mon, it's Sonic and In-N-Out. It's Texas and New Jersey. Both states have plenty of places as good or better for the same type of food.

Reminds me of what Yogi Berra once said, "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded."

senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/18 04:13:21 (permalink)

I am from Memphis Tn. Back in the early 1980's, my best friend from high school was from California and unfortunately came to Memphis because his father got a transfer to a better job. He had an "In and Out" T-shirt, and I really liked the design and wanted one.

I lived in Las Vegas (again unfortunately) in the early 1990's and they opened an In and Out there, and the reason I went there to get a T-shirt. Had the food, it was OK, kind of like the picture on top. Don't get me wrong, it was good for what it was, but not spectacular. You can only do so much with a hamburger, what lies is the quality fo the meat. I lived in Vegas for 20 months, and I think this is the only time I ever went there.

My fast food place in Vegas was Carl's Juniors. That place was the bomb. The only thing that suked about the one close to my house was that it was very, very slow. Carls' Junior Teryaki Pineapple Chicken Sandwich put anything else to shame and misery. It just took forever to get because the place was understaffed and not many people were willing to work hard for minimum wage. $10 USD an hour is not a lot of money, but it is enough to live in Texas, this and of itself is enough to patronize this place when a fast food meal is in order.
    post edited by senor boogie woogie - 2011/05/18 04:17:04
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/18 08:20:18 (permalink)
    I remember when you could not make a trip out west without bringing back a case of Coors, because it was unavailable east of the Mississippi.  People craved it and raved about how good it was.  As soon as it was available everywhere it soon lost it's appeal.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/18 15:11:28 (permalink)
    A look back in my own history-
    For many years (in the 80's and early 90's) there was only one INnOut in our community. It was at the I-15 Interchange, surrounded by BK, Carl's Jr, and a large Conveniece store Gas stop that had a Popeyes Chicken stand inside.  If I wanted a quick lunch I would make the appropriate turns that put me in the IN N Out drive-thru line...but if it was long, I could jog to the right and do the Popeyes drive-thru without re-entering the mess of traffic out front.  Many were the times that my Burger lunch changed to Spicy Chicken to avoid a long wait at the In n Out !!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/19 18:51:01 (permalink)
    carlton pierre

I remember when you could not make a trip out west without bringing back a case of Coors, because it was unavailable east of the Mississippi.  People craved it and raved about how good it was.  As soon as it was available everywhere it soon lost it's appeal.

Clearly, you speak for yourself!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/20 15:20:48 (permalink)
    carlton pierre

As witnessed in the original Smokey & the Bandit!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/20 17:01:00 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

carlton pierre

I recall the same thing. in the mid 70's I had a freind bring me back a case of Coors.  At that time it was delicious and unusual.  Today it is not unique.  I enjoyed it at that time and I shared it with some friends.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/21 10:44:43 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

MetroplexJim

carlton pierre

I recall the same thing. in the mid 70's I had a freind bring me back a case of Coors.  At that time it was delicious and unusual.  Today it is not unique.  I enjoyed it at that time and I shared it with some friends.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Had the same thing happen to me in Charlottesville when I was a grad student.  Then, there was a rumor that Coors had discovered a water source in the Shanandoah Valley that was as good as their Golden, CO source. 

After 30 years, the long-rumored brewery finally opened in 2007 as "MillerCoors".  That kinda took the edge off - like, remembering the famous "high beams" poster of the 1970's, finally gatting a date with Farah in 2007!

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/21 10:50:14 (permalink)
    Day 10 now and the long lines are still there.  They must be doing in excess of $25,000/day!  (The average McD's does $5,000).
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/21 18:16:06 (permalink)
    After parking across a six lane street, risking my life getting across, and waiting in line, then waiting for my order (a "double double", animal-style fries, and a medium drink = $8.71) for a total of 45 minutes I finally bit the burger. 

And, it was very good!

The tomatos actually had taste, the lettuce was hand-leafed and crisp, and the beef was freshly pattied and of excellent quality.  Needless to say, their burger beats the pants off King McWendy's.

Their fries were fresh-cut, twice fried, and had an excellent potato taste.  The "animal style" on the fries more than doubled their price ($1.40 became $3.30).  $$$-aside, I think I would have enjoyed them more "plain", adding my own pepper and ketchup.  And, my bill will be reduced to $6.65.

Their service line (still staffed with "all-stars" from Cali) was amazing, pumping out 4 - 5 orders per minute.  My prior guesstimate of their daily gross was pretty much spot-on.  An amazing money machine!

Welcome to Texas and the Big D!
    trzhotel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/25 17:13:14 (permalink)
    a former California resident, says, "pinch me, it just doesn't feel real," as she reaches for a napkin to dry her eyes.

http://eater.com/archives...ngs-woman-to-tears.php
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/26 07:40:03 (permalink)
    As promised, I finally waited the 45 minutes necessary to get my food mid-sfternoon last Saturday.  West has at last come to meat East!  Mrs. Metro and I happen to be lucky enough now to have two Five Guys and two In-N-Outs within 10 miles of our home in McKinney, TX, birthplace and burial ground of Haystacks Calhoun!  If only Haystacks could have lived to see this ... 

MiamiDon's Photo

VS.

Presentation:
    After having discovered their first store - a now-closed walk-up with no seating in the Westmont Shopping Center in Arlington, VA, I have been a Five Guys customer since the Reagan Administration.  Their quality, reasonably-priced food then overcame my objections of blaring music, no seating, and sh*tty "presentation".  Since, the music has been toned down, they now provide seating, but their presentation is still sh*tty - especially as one can see above vis a vis In-N-Out .  When they were only a walk-up I could see putting everything in a poke as I had to take it to my car to eat.  Why they have not evolved beyond that is beyond me.  Mrs. Metro, who does not allow condiment bottles on our dinner table (ketchup, steak sauce, salsa, etc. are served in minature pitchers or small ramekins with tiny spoons) is absolutely horrified by the "pokes".

Another thing I hate about Five Guys presentation is that my burger looks like this on their prep table: 

And 20 seconds later when I take it out of the steaming poke 'o fries and unwrap the foil, it looks like this: 

This gives me PSTD-type flashbacks of trying to keep the grease away from my Charvet tie when eating such in my Euro-Coupe!  I am seriously tempted to take my own plate when I next go.  In-N-Out wins presentation hands down and six ways from Sunday!

The meat:
    Both use excellent quality fresh, hand pattied beef.  As neither wants a salmonellosis scandal, both source their own beef and cook it "well done".  As Five Guys's patties are 65% larger than INO's (3.3 oz. vs. 2 oz.), Five Guys is the jucier, tastier finished product.

The bun:
    In keeping with the tradition of their first store which was located next to their bun supplier, Brenner's Bakery, the Guys use a substantial sesame seeded bun while INO's is closer to a Wal-Mary "Great Value" bun.  That said, Five Guys bun had better be substantial in order to survive the abuse it undergoes with their above-mentioned (and illustrated) sh*tty presentation!

The toppings:
    Both are fresh and top-notch, but the Guys have a far greater variety (A-1, sauteed shrooms, etc., etc.) which they apply at no extra charge.  (Nothing is "free", however, see pricing & value below).

The fries:
    You tell me:  
                                          Five Guys (this photo illustrates less than half their "small" portion)                                                                               

vs.

INO

Both cut their own fries fresh in-house, blanch them, then fry them to finish right before serving.  INO peels their potatos, the Guys do not and also cut a larger fry and serve a MUCH larger portion.  The Guys fry in peanut oil, INO uses vegetable oil.  The Guys' fries have a definite potato taste; INO's are kind of mealy.  The "fry contest" is in fact "no contest".  And the Guys even provide malt vinegar!                                                                               

Price, FYI:
    INO Double Double w/cheese, L/T/P/Sauce (4 oz. beef): $3.75 (and looks very pretty when served!)
    Five Guys "regular" w/cheese and "you name it toppings" (6.6 oz. beef): $5.69
    Five Guys "small burger" w/cheese and "you name it toppings" (3.3 oz beef): $3.75
    INO Fries Regular: $1.75
    INO Fries "animal-style" - regular size w/ sauteed onions & burger sauce: $3.30 (served w/ fork, thank you)
    Five Guys "Small": $2.79 (more than twice the serving as INO, and malt vinegar is available!)

Bottom Line:
    Both places beat the living snot out of McWendyKing and are excellent exemplars of American Entrepreneurship.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/05/26 10:24:57 (permalink)
    I don't think either one "hand patties" their ground beef.
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/06/01 18:44:46 (permalink)
    And 20 seconds later when I take it out of the steaming poke 'o fries and unwrap the foil, it looks like this: 

Actually, this hamburger looks delicious. Oil, grease, meat, cheese,bacon and onion all fused together.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday the first In-N-Out Burger join in Texas opened its doors. 2011/06/02 08:15:10 (permalink)
    senor boogie woogie

Actually, this hamburger looks delicious. Oil, grease, meat, cheese,bacon and onion all fused together.

As Yoda might say:  "Delicious it is.  Pretty it is not".

We also "eat" with our eyes!

And, I HATE SOGGY BREAD! 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/12/18 09:05:52
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1