Hot!Yesterday was National Left-handers Day!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
2013/08/14 10:33:36 (permalink)

Yesterday was National Left-handers Day!

(Evidently, as a 'lefty', I'm so right-brained that I missed it).

How many of my fellow RF'ers are also fellow lefties?

Here's a cool test to see whether you are right-brained or left-brained:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/11/are-you-a-left-brain-or-right-brain-thinker-this-image-can-tell-you/

Which way does the lady spin for you?

30 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 10:45:19 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5018
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 11:00:41 (permalink)
    I'm a natural lefty but I golf and first batted right-handed because of how I was taught and the equipment I was given.  Around age 10 I taught myself to bat left-handed.

No one ever tried to correct me, not even the nuns in grade school.  In fact, I even had a pair of "Lefty" brand scissors in my supply box.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 11:38:46 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

It started out counterclockwise and then changed to clockwise.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 11:42:24 (permalink)
    Same thing for me with golf and baseball. 

Hitting 'off-handed' actually gives one more power in baseball and more power and control in golf.  In fact, that's why Phil Mickelson plays left-handed and why Mickey Mantle's longest HR were from the left side.

Here's a golf tip that really helped me as a lefty playing right:  (only) on putts <10', try "left hand low" (cross-handed).  It's a bit uncomfortable at first, but now the six footers are rolling in like a "pro's"!

After I got used to 'adapting' to RH scissors, yet still cutting with my left, I never could get left-handed scissors to work in my left hand!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 11:44:58 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

MetroplexJim

It started out counterclockwise and then changed to clockwise.

Same for me, but after a 1/2 turn counter-clockwise she started spinning clockwise both consistently and at an increasing speed.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6340
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 11:48:23 (permalink)
    I'm a lefty but batted and golfed right handed. In little league I could not pick up the ball batting left handed and struck out almost all the time. An opposing team coach suggested I try right handed. I did about mid season and never struck out again. So, when I got older my swing was adapted from the right and I took up golf that way.

I write, draw and throw left handed. I'm of the age when schools forced everyone to write right handed. I thwarted them. I was so good left handed in writing and art that my first grade teacher was smart enough to leave me alone.

With the advent of the computer I took to the mouse with my left hand on the Apple Mac computer. Maybe because early on I drew a lot on the computer. At work on the Windows PC computers for some reason I started using my right hand with the two button mouse. I'm not sure how that came about other than I was on an inferior OS.   I don't use a mouse anymore but transferred most of my track pad computer use on laptops to my my right hand.

Now on the iPad I tap a lot with my right hand but draw with my left. I've gotten more ambidextrous over the years but still can't write and draw right handed. I've always been a 10 fingered both hands touch typist.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5018
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 11:51:34 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

After I got used to 'adapting' to RH scissors, yet still cutting with my left, I never could get left-handed scissors to work in my left hand!
    When I use scissors I pull with my thumb and push with my fingers to simulate the natural action of the right hand, which makes using those d*mn ergonomic scissors a real pain!

And of course, trying to fill out a bank slip with those pens short-chained for righties requires taking up the whole counter!
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/08/14 11:53:22
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3470
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 12:30:26 (permalink)
    I'm ambidextrous, although I naturally write with my left hand and there are a select few things I have to use one or the other hand to do (bowl with my right, using a kitchen knife with my right, throw darts with my left). Virtually everything, though, I use whichever hand is more convenient at the time. Works out well if I'm carrying something or have hurt myself somehow. I can write with my right hand if I have to, but instead of the handwriting everyone has come to know and love it looks like a second-grader wrote it.

The lady starts counter-clockwise, then changes to clockwise, for me.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2013/08/14 12:31:33
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 12:48:07 (permalink)
    When I was a kid my baseball hero was Mel Ott, and he was a lefty. So naturally I would always bat left -- even kicking my right foot up at the start of my swing to step into the pitch just like Mel. That is most likely the reason I was such a lousy baseball player. See, I'm righthanded.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6340
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 13:08:35 (permalink)
    I handle the BBQ grill spatula with my left hand.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 13:09:23 (permalink)
    felix4067

I'm ambidextrous, although I naturally write with my left hand and there are a select few things I have to use one or the other hand to do (bowl with my right, using a kitchen knife with my right, throw darts with my left). Virtually everything, though, I use whichever hand is more convenient at the time. Works out well if I'm carrying something or have hurt myself somehow. I can write with my right hand if I have to, but instead of the handwriting everyone has come to know and love it looks like a second-grader wrote it.

The lady starts counter-clockwise, then changes to clockwise, for me.

I'm guessing, sine we all grew up in and live in a world built for "righties", that most lefties are to one dregree or another more ambidextrous than the 'standard' right-hander. 

As a result, I played handball at a level far greater than my 'natural athleticism'.  The same was true in tennis where I developed a killer backhand from having it hit at so regularily by RHers' forehands.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 13:13:41 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

When I was a kid my baseball hero was Mel Ott, and he was a lefty. So naturally I would always bat left -- even kicking my right foot up at the start of my swing to step into the pitch just like Mel. That is most likely the reason I was such a lousy baseball player. See, I'm righthanded.

You would have been better served to have been a Yankee fan and emulating Joltin' Joe!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 13:25:17 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Michael Hoffman

You would have been better served to have been a Yankee fan and emulating Joltin' Joe!

I would sooner die than be a Yankees fan.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3470
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 13:31:24 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

I'm guessing, sine we all grew up in and live in a world built for "righties", that most lefties are to one dregree or another more ambidextrous than the 'standard' right-hander. 

As a result, I played handball at a level far greater than my 'natural athleticism'.  The same was true in tennis where I developed a killer backhand from having it hit at so regularily by RHers' forehands.

True enough. I just know it has fascinated more than one doctor (and the majority of my co-workers) when I switch hands arbitrarily depending on what I'm doing or if one of my hands gets tired. I guess more accurately I should say I'm mixed-handed, since I can't do everything with either hand equally well.
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 15:27:06 (permalink)
    Left handed.  I once worked in a four person department and we were all left handed.  We could go out to lunch and sit around a small table and no one got their eye poked by someone else's elbow.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 16:41:44 (permalink)
    I'm left-handed. My brother & one sister are...as well.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 17:22:07 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

I'm left-handed. My brother & one sister are...as well.

How sinister.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1637
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 21:12:34 (permalink)
    Well, I started out lefty (one bros is..one sister ain't. other bros is righty, but now a quad so tends to use his left more).  Burnt my hand really badly when I was 4. Bandages for almost a year.  It's about the time when you learn to draw, letters etc. So.today I'm not only old and ugly, I'm confused.  Write right handed, throw left handed.  If I put my hands together, as in prayer, left thumb is on top(supposedly another test).  Never did learn to type!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 22:34:09 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Michael, did you know that Mel Ott hit 83 career home runs against the Pittsburgh Pirates, more than any other player in MLB history?

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 22:38:37 (permalink)
    The nuns weren't allowed to smack me around...so I got to stay sinister.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/14 22:42:01 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Michael Hoffman

Michael, did you know that Mel Ott hit 83 career home runs against the Pittsburgh Pirates, more than any other player in MLB history?

No, I did not. But what else could be expected from my hero. When I was a little boy - starting at 4 years old -- I was Mel Ott's dog. OK. I was actually my father's dog, but as he hunted with Mel Ott, and they needed a dog to go after the rails they shot along the Housatonic River, I was Mel Ott's dog, too.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/15 02:10:58 (permalink)
    " />I'm Left handed and No-Brained!" />
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/15 08:25:18 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Michael Hoffman

Now I know why the Pirates erected that 20' screen in short right in Forbes Field!  Ott was known as the "King of the Short Porch" in the Polo Grounds and in the vast Forbes the only "cheap HR" prior to the screen was the 300' foul pole in right.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/15 08:35:57 (permalink)
    Foodbme

" />I'm Left handed and No-Brained!" />

So, the girl twirled in both directions?  There is a link in the article that explains the "implications" of that.

BTW:  Mrs. Metro also sees the girl spinning in both directions.  She says that is the natural ressult of learning to read right-to-left, then emigrating to the U.S. for her graduate education and having to learn how to read left-to-right.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/15 08:45:45 (permalink)
    It started out clockwise, switched to counter-clockwise and then alternated back and forth.  Not sure what that means.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/08/15 09:06:49 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

It started out clockwise, switched to counter-clockwise and then alternated back and forth.  Not sure what that means.

I think that means you should eat out more often and travel more.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/09/29 21:16:03 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
       Time to confess. I too am left-handed. I bat right, pitch either way (poorly), and brush my teeth right-handed. But I can't write right-handed for the life of me.
          Sinisterially, Ort. Carlton in Oft-Backwards Athens, Georgia.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/09/30 10:48:30 (permalink)
    Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
      Time to confess. I too am left-handed. I bat right, pitch either way (poorly), and brush my teeth right-handed. But I can't write right-handed for the life of me.
         Sinisterially, Ort. Carlton in Oft-Backwards Athens, Georgia.

Since a number of us above have referred to being "sinister" I have a professorial urge to explain to those who are so unfortunate as not to have had two years of Latin required for graduation from high school.

In Latin, the word for left is sinister; the word for right is dexter.  Of course we all know the common English meanings of 'sinister' and 'dexterous'.  Requiring Latin facilitated (quite literally!) the acquisition of advanced English vocabulary, complex structure, and made it a snap to learn the other Romance languages.

As an educator one of my great frustrations is the tragic lack of vocabulary and language skills among the modern products of our public schools.  As an wxample, not 1 in 50 can define properly the meaning of 'frontier'; most all simply babble something about Captain Kirk or 'cowboys & indians'!  

My reading of written assignments reveals extensive use of pidgins and only simple tenses.  I'd pass dead away if ever I saw the proper use of the past perfect or imperfect; if ever I should see the subjuctive out of one of these creatures I would expect a stampede of admissions counselors from Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford coming for the kid!

Presently, we spend more per pupil on public education than every country save for Switzerland and we are told we don't spend enough.  Now the push is giving each student a Wi-Fi enabled laptop for classroom use.  

Frankly, it was bad enough when the Columbine tragedy somehow bestowed upon students 'the right' to carry cell-phones; now, however - to borrow from my 'limited to 140 character unfortunates': IMHO, giving them machines like these, enabled by Wi-Fi, is like giving them an M-16 to trim their toenails.  The inevitable result is a bloody mess.

How can today's teachers possiblt compete for the classroom attention of students with Wi-Fi enabled I-Phones and MacBooks?  Tragic, but true; they simply cannot.  And, the Road to Hell is paved with ... ?  The Rubicon is crossed; alia iacta est

Sorry for the rant, but I am left-handed, right-brained, and truly sad. 

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Yesterday was National Left-handers Day! 2013/09/30 17:28:01 (permalink)
    I'm left handed and proud of it!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1