Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat

Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
2014/03/11 16:44:46 (permalink)

Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat

http://www.slate.com/arti...nly_one_meat_what.html

When you understand the rules they made, not too bad...

Quibbles:   Like New York for hot dogs, but as usual, they forget there is someplace beyond NYC. What makes New York STATE as a whole the dog capital of the world, it is the idea that you can travel along the Thruway upstate between each of the major cities, and each city has its own amazing local hot dog  packer  - the troika of Buffalo(Sahlens), Rochester(Zweigles) and Syracuse (Hofmanns) alone could stake NY's claim to hot dog immortality. Not to mention the dozens of towns that have their own version of Texas Weiners/chili dogs. etc. 

Kansas for burnt ends? Maybe - but you don't have to make excuses for it by citing Oklahoma Joe's

Discuss away!

29 Replies Related Threads

jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1365
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 17:12:18 (permalink)
    Their selection of Lamb Fries for Kentucky is farsical. You probably see them more in Western Kentucky, but in the rest of the state, you'd probably have to go to over 100 restaurants before you'd find one serving Lamb Fries. Even in Western Kentucky, they wouldn't be the dominant meat served at any restaurants. BBQ mutton, maybe, but not Lamb Fries.

BTW, Slate couldn't even have an article about meat without interjecting their politics. Take a look at their spiel on Alaska. 
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3567
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 17:57:20 (permalink)
    It seems odd to me that I've lived in Michigan my entire life and have never eaten, nor even heard of, a Dinty Moore sandwich. Reubens yes, all the time. But this weird concoction with lettuce, tomato and Russian dressing? No.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 18:11:08 (permalink)
    Meatballs as Minnesota's "meat"? 

I've only lived here since 1999, but I've only seen meatballs in Italian restaurants.  They can be really good, too, but hardly "Minnesotan," which is what this article seems to suggest.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 18:55:35 (permalink)
    Rumaki, They are referring to Swedish meatballs as they specifically mentioned IKEA. No, it is not common but they assume everyone in Minnesota is of Scandinavian extraction nevermind German is actually more dominant. Since it is a meat site, walleye doesn't count. However, if you ever go up to the North Shore you might want to stop in Beaver Bay at the Lemon Wolf Cafe where they serve "Authentic Swedish Meatballs." But I recommend the local caught herring. http://www.lemonwolfcafe.com/menu.html
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 18:57:27 (permalink)
    Bizarre!
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1745
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 20:09:09 (permalink)
    Fair for what it is, I guess..for the states I have lived in, but limiting it to red meats cuts out some all-time greats (like what's in my name sake).and the folks in Maine..maybe Mass...and CT would be screaming about their lobster rolls.

Although, I'd throw DE's scrapple back up to PA since I live on the line and know few PA/Dutch types South of me but a whole lot North of me
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 20:27:51 (permalink)
    When it says kielbasa is the meat for Ohio because it's popular in Cleveland proves that idiots came up with this bit of ridiculousness.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7058
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 20:47:17 (permalink)
    Totally agree with caribou for Alaska!  The only thing better is moose, but you have to hunt that yourself!!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 20:52:00 (permalink)
    Tofu as the "meat" for California? Morons!!!!!
    Tri tip roast would be my choice---e.g. Santa Maria Tri Tip Barbecue----truly CA!

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 21:17:13 (permalink)
    Maryland...............................corned ham???    Sorry, but it is called "stuffed ham" and is  only found in Southern Maryland. My daughter in law and I recently ate at a place that had the best stuffed ham that we have ever tasted!  We bought 5 pounds of it to bring home with us.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/11 22:29:33 (permalink)
    Greymo-
    Really?  Can I ask for details about this stuffed ham place?  I love the stuff!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 01:44:25 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4236
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 08:46:34 (permalink)
    EdSails

Tofu as the "meat" for California? Morons!!!!!
    Tri tip roast would be my choice---e.g. Santa Maria Tri Tip Barbecue----truly CA!

Tofu is indeed the 'meat' of California. 

It matters not what the 38,000,000 sheeple like to eat; their ruling elite will determine what is good for them and - more importantly - pleasing to the Earth Mother, Godess Gaia. 

The rig you illustrate - and the formerly farting cow on it - are egregious carbon polluters that are very displeasing to the Official Deity of Cali and the ruling elite who channel Her. 

Enjoy the tri-tip while it is still permitted! 
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/03/12 08:47:47
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 09:43:50 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Greymo-
    Really?  Can I ask for details about this stuffed ham place?  I love the stuff!

This us the place!  It is a real Roadfood Adventure.  The place was filled with "locals" eating many different things but we had our mind set on  only one thing and that was stuffed ham sandwiches.
    I am certain that I have eaten at all the restaurants in southern Maryland that serve stuffed ham and this was, indeed the very best.

http://www.wjdent.com/
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 10:06:34 (permalink)
    Greymo-
    That place looks wonderful!  I will definitely be visiting it soon.  Thanks so much!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 12:11:04 (permalink)
    Great!  Be sure to bring a small cooler with you.  I know that you will love the place.  Oh by the way, I see that they have some reviews on TripAdvisor.   I am sure that you will like it well enough and consider a great Roadfood  and maybe post a review on this site for everyone to see.
    post edited by Greymo - 2014/03/12 12:50:07
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 12:31:46 (permalink)
    Neither I nor my mother have ever heard of the "famous" Michigan Dinty Moore sandwich. Neither of us have ever heard of putting lettuce, tomato and Russian dressing on a corned beef sandwich, although we do more often than not eat corned beef on rye. I was curious, and put it to a vote. Absolutely not one of my friends or family, all of whom have lived in Michigan for most if not all of our lives, NOT ONE PERSON has ever heard of this "famous" Michigan sandwich, and we certainly have never eaten one.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 12:39:39 (permalink)
    First of all, everyone knows the meat of Michigan is muskrat. And when it comes to putting lettuce and tomato on a corned beef sandwich you have to go to the Holiday Inn Elk River in Charleston, West Virginia. That's where I was served a "kosher corned beef sandwich" on white bread with mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 12:47:24 (permalink)
    As an extremely objective traveler:
    Put me in the "yes" category for Tofu in California (at least Southern California). Although EliseT mentioned it, ground beef for tacos could apply to Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, and for burgers, to the 49 other states.

Also a big "yes "YES" for Meatballs in Minnesota. I found Swedish Meatballs to be on just about every oher menu on my last visit in 2010.

Hot weiners for Rhode Island???? Really???? Seriously??? Ground beef  would even be more appropriate considering the prolific burger culture here.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 12:47:40 (permalink)
    I can't help wondering whether the Dinty Moore sandwich, a Detroit specialty of corned beef and cole slaw, might have something to do with hockey goaltender Dinty Moore.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 13:11:16 (permalink)
    Ah, now it makes sense. This supposedly famous sandwich is served only in Detroit. Because as we all know, much like all of New York is only NYC and all of Illinois is only Chicago, all of Michigan is only Detroit.

Idiots.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 13:12:51 (permalink)
    Greymo

Great!  Be sure to bring a small cooler with you.  I know that you will love the place.  Oh by the way, I see that they have some reviews on TripAdvisor.   I am sure that you will like it well enough and consider a great Roadfood  and maybe post a review on this site for everyone to see.

The only place I have enjoyed stuffed ham was at St. Mary's Landing, which no doubt you have been to before.  I am eager try it in sandwich form. 

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 13:34:03 (permalink)
    Also a big "yes "YES" for Meatballs in Minnesota. I found Swedish Meatballs to be on just about every oher menu on my last visit in 2010.

WJ: Seriously? Where do you eat in MInnesota?  Maybe it is true "outstate," as Davydd suggests, but honestly, I've never seen Swedish meatballs on a menu in the Twin Cities, either in Roadfood places or elsewhere.

You can buy them at the food shop inside Ingebretsen's, but that isn't a restaurant.  https://www.ingebretsens.com/about/ourstore
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 14:31:37 (permalink)
    rumaki

Also a big "yes "YES" for Meatballs in Minnesota. I found Swedish Meatballs to be on just about every oher menu on my last visit in 2010.

WJ: Seriously? Where do you eat in MInnesota?  Maybe it is true "outstate," as Davydd suggests, but honestly, I've never seen Swedish meatballs on a menu in the Twin Cities, either in Roadfood places or elsewhere.

You can buy them at the food shop inside Ingebretsen's, but that isn't a restaurant.  https://www.ingebretsens.com/about/ourstore

They were all over the place...
    Carol's Restaurant had them (they were in one of the older Pre Bruce Bilmes Website Roadfood books. I didn't get them though. Other places that had them although I didn't go were  Davydd's Victoria Station, Taste of Scandinavia, Hazel's etc.
    I had a list but thrw it out I ended up getting them at Northern Lights Cafe in Beaver Bay classically served with boiled potatos, lefse and lingonberries- these are some places I remember off hand- It's true, mostly in the suburbs but I remember several places in Minneapolis and St Paul too they are still alive and still kicking... I do believe that Tavern on Grand has them on the menu now too
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/03/12 14:56:39
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 17:29:14 (permalink)

This is the only Dinty Moore I've ever seen and it's from  Hormel. The Beef Stew was their original product introduced in 1935, however, they are now making other products under the Dinty Moore Brand.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 17:35:49 (permalink)
    A LITTLE HISTORY RELATED TO DINTY MOORE & CORNED BEEF"
    "Dinty Moore was the name of a tavern owner in the 1910s comic strip "Bringing Up Father."
    The lead character in the strip was Jiggs, an Irish immigrant. Dinty served corned beef and cabbage to Jiggs (in addition to an adult beverage).
    The comic's author was George McManus and he got his inspiration for Dinty from a real-life New York restaurant owner named James Moore.
    James was no dummy, so he capitalized on the popularity of the strip by changing his name to Dinty and opening a chain of diners. His specialty was corned beef, not the beef stew we endured. And he didn't start the line of Dinty Moore canned products available today.
    Hormel Foods licensed the name and introduced the beef stew in 1935 -- they did use Jiggs in the advertising (the comic strip was still on the funnies page then).
    Dinty Moore remains the best-selling canned beef stew in America today.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/12 19:18:52 (permalink)
    Brining Up Father is no longer around? Terrible news. Maggie must finally have caused Jiggs to leave. Well, Jiggs was loaded, so I guess he could afford to take off. But what makes you think the Dinty Moore sandwich in Detroit has anything to do with the comic strip or the stew (which I love, especially with my confetti dumplings)? It is Detroit. Detroit is big on hockey, and Dinty Moore was a great hockey player, and even has a goaltender award named for him.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/13 02:33:14 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Brining Up Father is no longer around? Terrible news. Maggie must finally have caused Jiggs to leave. Well, Jiggs was loaded, so I guess he could afford to take off. But what makes you think the Dinty Moore sandwich in Detroit has anything to do with the comic strip or the stew (which I love, especially with my confetti dumplings)? It is Detroit. Detroit is big on hockey, and Dinty Moore was a great hockey player, and even has a goaltender award named for him.

Since the Dinty Moore I mentioned had a connection to Corned Beef, I thought perhaps that could have been the basis of the connection to the Detroit Sandwich. Who knows????
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/03/13 02:34:29
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Yet Another 'Best by State' article: United States of Meat 2014/03/16 20:32:59 (permalink)
    I think it should be pork roll but I gladly take coppa for New Jersey over Italian sausage.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1