Hot!Yet Another Food truck build!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 12
Author
BTM676
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 202
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/09 22:02:36 (permalink)
I havent done any of the plumbing yet for the waste tank or the fresh water tank but I'm sure it will work fine. Nothing is level in PA so i'm sure its going to drain fine. hahaha I'm going to use the 1 1/4 inch fill hole as a drain. Ill post pictures thats the next thing i'm working on is the plumbing.
marco226
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/12 07:35:16 (permalink)
mike,
are you going to do the fire supprestion system yourself.
or are you going to have someone do it.
what a good time to call you.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/12 11:09:22 (permalink)
Yeah call! I'm free monday, tuesday, wednesday all day. As for the fire supprestion system I made room for it in the truck if my insurance company wants me to have one but if i dont need it I'm not putting one in right now. I dont have the money for it, its on my wish list. I'm going to have 2 very large K class fire extinguishers for now.
PurpleCheetah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/20 17:20:20 (permalink)
Hi BMT,
Enjoying your thread I have a question about the framing you used will this work as well for framing?  BAB You can answer this for me as well so feel free to chime in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N...1-X-3-/110641026780?pt

The problem I am going to have is my roof is Fiberglass so I am thinking of running the framing in the opposite direction so I have something to hook the new framing onto what do you guys think about that?

I plan to attach the framing tube by rivet then insulate with Pink B., plywood, and combo frp and alum walls. will the rivets hold I do not want to have welding done, if I can avoid it.

BTM676

Ok I have 16ft 1985 P30 Chevy Step van. I've been working on making it a food truck for the past 3 months. There was nothing in the truck structurally besides one beam on either side and no interior wall. The bumper is was 8 inch kidney bumper, which I removed and built a 18 inch wide platform bumper made from 4 inch aluminum channel to hold the 100lb propane tanks. Ive just got done framing the inside of the truck with 2 inch by 1 inch aluminum rectangular tubing. Yes, it was alot of money but I want max strength, small dimensions also keeping it light weight. The beams are spaced 12 inch apart, as well as, welded to the body of the truck. Welding was over kill but I just dont want to have to worry about....ever. I used 2 inch foam insulation between the beams.
I'm going to try to post pre-built pictures and as well as the current build pics. I might need help with that cause I'm new to this site.

BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/20 23:53:30 (permalink)
PurpleCheetah

Hi BMT,
Enjoying your thread I have a question about the framing you used will this work as well for framing?  BAB You can answer this for me as well so feel free to chime in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N...1-X-3-/110641026780?pt

The problem I am going to have is my roof is Fiberglass so I am thinking of running the framing in the opposite direction so I have something to hook the new framing onto what do you guys think about that?

I plan to attach the framing tube by rivet then insulate with Pink B., plywood, and combo frp and alum walls. will the rivets hold I do not want to have welding done, if I can avoid it.

BTM676

Ok I have 16ft 1985 P30 Chevy Step van. I've been working on making it a food truck for the past 3 months. There was nothing in the truck structurally besides one beam on either side and no interior wall. The bumper is was 8 inch kidney bumper, which I removed and built a 18 inch wide platform bumper made from 4 inch aluminum channel to hold the 100lb propane tanks. Ive just got done framing the inside of the truck with 2 inch by 1 inch aluminum rectangular tubing. Yes, it was alot of money but I want max strength, small dimensions also keeping it light weight. The beams are spaced 12 inch apart, as well as, welded to the body of the truck. Welding was over kill but I just dont want to have to worry about....ever. I used 2 inch foam insulation between the beams.
I'm going to try to post pre-built pictures and as well as the current build pics. I might need help with that cause I'm new to this site.

Hey purple cheetah,

1). That tubing will totally work. I sure the wall thickness is 1/8 which is good. Attaching the beams to the wall w/ rivets is the best way. I used rivets in my truck before i welded to hold the beams in place. I only welded it because my uncle has a welder thats the only reason. I used 1/4 by 1/2 long inch rivets they hold great!!! As for buying aluminum try a local metal wholesaler, cause they have beams in long lengths.  One 1X2 beams 25 feet long tube cost about $60.
2). Post a picture of your roof and truck so we can see what your dealing with.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/21 00:23:20 (permalink)
My two week update... lol

So hood system is installed and works. Came out great if i must say so myself.
Dry fitted all plumbing under the sinks didnt glue anything yet cause want to put the FRP board up first. 
Went to lowes today and hit a major score on the FRP. They had 4 pieces that were "dirty" so they gave them to me for 1/2 price. lol So from $33 bucks to $17 i totally jumped on that. Got lucky. So for the next week i'll be finishing the walls and I'll have photos by next monday.
PurpleCheetah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/21 02:18:34 (permalink)
Here you go
Thanks again for the post Chefbubba, I don't want to crowd ur Thread I actually Have a thread on page 9 or 10 that I started. Thank you for the answer I'll continue to follow.

marco226
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/22 19:36:19 (permalink)
mike check out mobilefoodnews.com

Inkys
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/24 05:32:42 (permalink)
Some one mentioned waste water smell.  it got me to wondering... How do you prevent waste tank smell from coming up sink drain?
Do you clean and sanitize regularly?
I'm going to sell coffee, How do you keep fresh water tank clean so it doesn't affect taste?

Thanks for any suggestions

Inkys
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/24 05:37:11 (permalink)
Here's a dumb question... I've been catching up on these posts and asked a few questions, and then closed my browser and can't find them. Most forums have a link to list your own posts, but I don't see one on here
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/24 10:11:00 (permalink)
Inkys

Some one mentioned waste water smell.  it got me to wondering... How do you prevent waste tank smell from coming up sink drain?
Do you clean and sanitize regularly?
I'm going to sell coffee, How do you keep fresh water tank clean so it doesn't affect taste?

Thanks for any suggestions

When i dry fitted the plumbing of my sinks i have 2 "P-traps" and 1 check valve (backflow preventer) I have a "P-trap" under the hand sink and one after the 3 bay sink right before the check valve. All three will help prevent the smell. But think of what your going to put in the sink before you wash anything dont dump food and alot of oils down and you will not have to much of a problem. You can also use the drain plugs to block the smell. But the most important smell preventer of all is a great smelling soap!!! haha I have pictures coming of the plumbing I'm putting up the FRB panels first.

BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/24 10:19:29 (permalink)
Inkys

Here's a dumb question... I've been catching up on these posts and asked a few questions, and then closed my browser and can't find them. Most forums have a link to list your own posts, but I don't see one on here

There is a user control panel and forum menu at the top of each page you enter on this site. check around up there.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 19:40:20 (permalink)
" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 19:44:11 (permalink)
All the FRP panels are up on the walls. The fresh water tank is plumbed and ready to for Pex to the sinks/pump. The door is covered with FRP and diamond aluminum kick plate. Push door to get into the cab. The ceiling is insulated with 1 inch form. Will cover it with FRP.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 19:47:42 (permalink)
" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 19:49:59 (permalink)
All the plumbing is just dry fitted. Everything is numbered and marked so i know where is goes. lol I have to drill a hole in the floor to connect the waste tank. I still have to run pex line, hot water tank, wires and pump.
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 20:29:03 (permalink)
Looking good...
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 20:46:26 (permalink)
BTM676

All the plumbing is just dry fitted. Everything is numbered and marked so i know where is goes. lol I have to drill a hole in the floor to connect the waste tank. I still have to run pex line, hot water tank, wires and pump.

I have to ask where do you live (what part of the country) and I ask because if your in a cold winter area be careful when you drill your walls or floor. Winter weather will play hell with your smallest miscue on the holes. You will be shocked at how much cold air will leak thru the edges of plumbing holes and around dirty water outlets. Not to mention bugs fly's and gnats. 

And this is not directed at you (BTM) but I hope all these projects with under belly grey water tanks are in a warm climate because they will freeze and then back up if they have winters like we have in Illinois. This winter is (was) the mildest winter I have experienced in a bunch of years and we still had our supply line freeze up twice and our grey water drain line ruptured and now needs replaced.  And both are wrapped in heat tape.  Nothing in my mind is more miserable than laying on cold asphalt with a heat gun trying to thaw lines. It sucks big time. LOL I know I have done that several times.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 20:54:06 (permalink)
BTM676
" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />" _mce_src="http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/null" />

What is the line coming out of the top of your water tank?  Is that your supply line? And what is the small line on the water tank top? And one other question is that your service window? If so isn't the fender well going to keep you a long way back from your service window?
jack
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 21:11:49 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

BTM676

I have to ask where do you live (what part of the country) and I ask because if your in a cold winter area be careful when you drill your walls or floor. Winter weather will play hell with your smallest miscue on the holes. You will be shocked at how much cold air will leak thru the edges of plumbing holes and around dirty water outlets. Not to mention bugs fly's and gnats. 

And this is not directed at you (BTM) but I hope all these projects with under belly grey water tanks are in a warm climate because they will freeze and then back up if they have winters like we have in Illinois. This winter is (was) the mildest winter I have experienced in a bunch of years and we still had our supply line freeze up twice and our grey water drain line ruptured and now needs replaced.  And both are wrapped in heat tape.  Nothing in my mind is more miserable than laying on cold asphalt with a heat gun trying to thaw lines. It sucks big time. LOL I know I have done that several times.

I live in Pennsylvania. Weather is major issue up here. We just got snow/freezing rain today. lol I really dont plan on running this truck in the winter. The roads up here are crap. The worst in the country. I will take your advice cause you know way more then i do.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 21:19:56 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

BTM676

What is the line coming out of the top of your water tank?  Is that your supply line? And what is the small line on the water tank top? And one other question is that your service window? If so isn't the fender well going to keep you a long way back from your service window?
jack

The large hose is the fill hose 1-1/4 inch. The small tube is the vent. The tank is sitting on the wheel well. And yes thats my service window. I am back from the window about 18 inches. I will have a cutting board that will come out flush with the wheel well depth. You wont be able to see the tank.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 21:36:57 (permalink)
Well my first thought was reaching the customers for money and change purposes. But then I thought I have a counter in between my window and myself. So thats cool.  I do a drive up service and very little walk up business and about 30% of my customers are unable to drive a car well enough to get even close to my window. So I end up fighting that every day. But I'm betting my counter is deeper than 18 inches so you should be good to go. And I'm glad to hear your not going to have to fight the winter weather. Truthfully I'm about to head in that direction myself.If it weren't for my employees I would have not been open this winter.

There is nothing better than the excitement of building your own truck or trailer and seeing it come together. Looks like you have it under control. Good Job. 
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 21:41:28 (permalink)
One other thought I have read a bunch of post on different sites about how happy people were when their favorite food vendor reopened in the spring and the tremendous amount of $$$$ the vendors did when they re-open each year. Sounds good.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/02/29 21:54:13 (permalink)
Thank you for the comments. I welcome everyone of them, good and bad. It will only make me that much better. But as for the weather, yeah i mean the winter is to much up here. It might not be worth the drive in the snow for just selling 5 burgers. lol
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/03/01 01:36:15 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ
If it weren't for my employees I would have not been open this winter.

I heard that!
DWags541
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/03/01 01:49:38 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ
What is the line coming out of the top of your water tank?  Is that your supply line? And what is the small line on the water tank top?

Venting your freshwater tank is very important to relieve the tank of air as you fill it up with water.
Additionally, I think its essential to think about a larger overflow measure. Say you are filling your tank up via hose, and you got it connected from the outside (presumably). How do you know when the tank is full? If you step inside to monitor it and it gets close to full, even if you are late to shutting off the hose, you won't have pressured water shooting out of your vent. If you have an overflow coming out of one of the top exits, you can route it back outside, or to your greywater system.
Anyway, this is all off the cuff, but rooted in experiences I've had overfilling my tanks.

BTM,  did you consider mounting your tanks under your rig? Right when I got mine, I looked underneath and noticed there was space enough for a 35 (fresh) and 40 gallon tank (grey) on each side. I like your interior mount, but I can't help but think that space is ideal for food storage or other things you don't wanna put outside or under the truck.
DWags541
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/03/01 01:51:05 (permalink)
BTM,
Great job on your sinks and hood. And your FRP as well. I recently got acquainted with FPR when I installed it in my commissary.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/03/01 11:00:34 (permalink)
Thanks I did think about mounting the tanks under the truck. The tank just fit nicely on the wheel well. adn it was earlier to mount it there. I still have space on the well for storage i'll probably use that area for soaps and paper goods.
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/03/01 11:05:38 (permalink)
DWags541

BTM,
Great job on your sinks and hood. And your FRP as well. I recently got acquainted with FPR when I installed it in my commissary.

Thanks for the comments. I hated cutting the FRP but a fine tooth saw blade worked great. And screw safety glasses you need a face sheld. The rivets worked great, so did the glue. A gallon of glue is on sale at lowes for 16.97 better then 20.97 at home depot. lol
mofood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
Re:Yet Another Food truck build! 2012/03/01 13:35:13 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

BTM676
  And both are wrapped in heat tape. 

Can you elaborate on the heat tape? Is this the low voltage stick on heaters you are talking about? I've been looking into this a little. I'd love to know what you use.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 12
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1