The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Yet Another Food truck build!

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 12, messages 1 to 30 of 347
BTM676

• Total Posts: 202
Yet Another Food truck build! Thu, 12/29/11 8:19 PM (permalink)

Ok I have 16ft 1985 P30 Chevy Step van. I've been working on making it a food truck for the past 3 months. There was nothing in the truck structurally besides one beam on either side and no interior wall. The bumper is was 8 inch kidney bumper, which I removed and built a 18 inch wide platform bumper made from 4 inch aluminum channel to hold the 100lb propane tanks. Ive just got done framing the inside of the truck with 2 inch by 1 inch aluminum rectangular tubing. Yes, it was alot of money but I want max strength, small dimensions also keeping it light weight. The beams are spaced 12 inch apart, as well as, welded to the body of the truck. Welding was over kill but I just dont want to have to worry about....ever. I used 2 inch foam insulation between the beams.
I'm going to try to post pre-built pictures and as well as the current build pics. I might need help with that cause I'm new to this site.

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Fri, 12/30/11 1:26 AM (permalink)
    I figured I'd post where I got some of my supplies online. I got both my water tanks 21gal and 30gal from randpcarriages.com. I also got my surface mount DOT LED backup and tail lights from there as well. Everything from the tanks to the lights were very reasonable if not the best price I found. And that company is very well respected and shippments go out the next day. They have tons for stuff. As for the metals, I got them from a local metal supply wholesaler (Nivert). I got Nuts, bolts and rivets and some tools from Homedepot, Harbor freight, and fastenal.

Barbeque barn

• Total Posts: 187
      Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Fri, 12/30/11 8:07 AM (permalink)
      I don't think welding the beams to the truck was a great idea as the trucks body flex so much when driving down the road it will brake the welds. When they manufacture the van they use a double sided tape and stick the ribs in to allow the body to flex and rivet the top to the roof stringer. The 100 Lb propane tank riding on the aluminum will not be structurally sound if it get to bouncing and road vibration. Use a 1' rubber mat under the tank. Just some thought.

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Fri, 12/30/11 10:28 AM (permalink)
        The rubber mat is a great idea. Thanks. Today we are making the bracket to strap the tank to the truck. That bracket will be made out of steel. The bracket we make will be bolt through the aluminum back wall and fish plated with 1/4 inch steel plate. As for the welding, I only welded the side wall to the beams and the interior wall. I never welded the the beams to the roof.
        P.S. Pictures are coming.

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
          Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sat, 01/7/12 9:20 PM (permalink)
          hell !!...lets see some pics !
          you need to burn up about 25 more posts to have pic rights..... or you could message myself or a couple others on here and we would be glad to go ahead and get them up for you....
          when i started reading your post, i thought i was reading something i wrote, lol...thats the same exact way i plan on building my walls.... and im using 1x2 aluminum channel as well, and 2" pink board, lol.......
          and yes...i plan on stitch welding the channel to the walls also, and leaving a 1/2" gap at the bottom, and about a 4" gap at top (i have rounded roof corners on my ol' girl, and plan on using that space for wire runs and plumbing, and then just building a "space filler" to finish the wall off....

i am very interested in your build, and cant wait to see what you have done, and are doing !

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sat, 01/7/12 9:24 PM (permalink)
            and yes, i have to highly recommend randpcarriages.com
            they have been nothing but awesome every time i deal with them ! :)

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sat, 01/7/12 9:43 PM (permalink)
              hahaha you know what backalleyburger I was thinking about just burning up posts on here. I sent DrBBQ my pictures threw email but i guess that message went to spam. Hey you send me your email threw a private message and I'll send you the pictures tonight.

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sat, 01/7/12 9:44 PM (permalink)
                I mean can* you send me your email threw a private message and I'll send you the pictures tonight threw email. I'm burning up posts now.

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sat, 01/7/12 9:54 PM (permalink)
                  So what i got done from 12/30/11 till now. I made the bracket for the propane tank. Now just have to paint it. I insulated the whole truck besides the floor and ceiling. I'm almost done with putting up plywood on the walls. The plywood is to support the FRP board. I used 5/32 plywood. It was cheap about $10 a sheet and its pretty tough. I'm using #10x1'' flat head screws to hold the plywood to the beams and countersinked the holes.

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sat, 01/7/12 10:21 PM (permalink)
                    On wednesday I'm making a trip into China town in NYC to got look at a 3 bay sink and hand sink. I'm also going to see what equipment they have and at what price. The sink I'm going to look at is 36 long 18.5 inches wide. The bowl depth is 14 inches the sink is 12x12. Its not a drop-in sink. I dont know if drop-in sinks are better or worst. Whats your opinion???

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:20 AM (permalink)
                      ok, got your pics, will start posting them now...good looking truck !
                      im partial to a drop in, but i have to have a 12" drainboard on each end so its going to take up space no matter what, lol....
                      heres the first.....

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:21 AM (permalink)

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:22 AM (permalink)

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:24 AM (permalink)

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:25 AM (permalink)
                              there ya go man....
                              if for any reason you decide to get rid of the "kurbmaster" emblem on the grill let me know...... those things are like trying to find hens teeth !!

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:32 AM (permalink)
                                i notice your studs look like they go all the way to the lip that supports the ends of the roof rafters......did you angle cut the studs to fit flat...... it looks like we have the exact same truck except mine is SRW and a bit shorter....the same, just different, lol

i would love some close ups of where you met the wall studs up to the ceiling, and your welds, i haven't spent too much time figuring mine out yet, but my preliminary thoughts were i would need to leave about a 4" gap

did you have any problem with warping or wrinkling of the walls where the welds are ?  
                                <message edited by BackAlleyBurger on Sun, 01/8/12 1:43 AM>

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                  oohh i see, three pics up, angle cuts....sweet..... now i really have to rethink what i was going to do, lol

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                    Thanks for posting them for me! I'm going to ask the state about the drain board on the sink. I really really hope i dont need one. lol

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 9:47 AM (permalink)
                                      As for the studs I used 1x2 rectangular tube. I riveted each beam with 4 rivets in place before i welded. I used a contour gauge to find the shape of the rounded ceiling part. Then just cut the shape with the portable bandsaw. BEST TOOL!!! Got it from harbor freight. Jig saw worked too. I'll send you pictures of close ups. As for the electric and plumbing I'm just going to expose it.

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                        Oh! I was really worried about shrinking and wrinkling the walls when welding BUT.... It nothing happened. Welded fine no burn holes nothing. I say that cause i predrill holes and cut plywood before i welded cause i was waiting for the welder. and every piece fit fine and all the screws matched up. The paint of the truck did burn tho. Nothing a little sanding and bondo won't fix.  

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                          i have no paint to worry about !!, lol
                                          first thing that has worked for the better since i started this !
                                          i never even thought about a contour gauge to make those cuts, i think i will go that route, and go all the way to the lip for ceiling.....

glad to hear about the welds..... i didnt think it would be too much doing a stitch weld every 12 inches or so.... i have had way too many busy bodies telling me im going to warp the hell out of my walls from the heat, so glad to see/hear some real world experience on that :)

my biggest problem is the 100 or so holes in my walls, from where various shelves, etc... were just through bolted over the years.... talk about wanting to smack someone !!  i have an idea for them....what do you think about this??.....

clean inside of wall very well, them cut out quarter sized little squares from some of that stainless tape(the really good permanent stuff) and cover the holes from the inside............ then go around from the outside with some 5200 series 3M marine adhesive sealant (5200 is the stuff boaters use when they never want something to come off ever again, lol) (4200 is basically the same, but will let you remove previously caulked stuff)......
                                          anyway...go around and put a little dollop into each of the holes, and use a small plastic spatula to basically spackle the holes...... then a little light sanding, maybe a little dolphin glaze...prime and paint....

after extensive research on the matter of filling holes like i have, i have pretty much come to the conclusion that welding is out of question without tons of grinding and a lot of body work, because welding them up WILL warp and wrinkle the walls at each location.....
                                          the stainless tape is really just a "bottom" for the hole, to give the sealant something to work against..... i dunno, thats my next step so i will try a couple of different things and see what seems to work best....

now to go find a step bit so i can mount the clearance lights :)

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                            i really should find a job doing stuff like this.......lol, i dont know if i am any good at it or just think i am, but i really enjoy doing stuff like this.....

not that i didnt think anyone would have a hard time figuring what i was talking about, lol.... i just love making diagrams, so here it is :)

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                              i think also mounting the pink board before filling in the holes with the sealant would be a good idea...... just in case the stainless tape isnt as permanent as i think it is, lol

body filler would have a tendency to shrink away from the edges of the hole and possibly crack in a case like this.... vibrations from the road, and the truck itself would almost surely cause it to loosen up and show through the paint on outside (think "nail pop" in new sheet rock work)....
                                              the permanent adhesive sealant will actually stay bonded to all edges and areas of the hole, wont shrink, is immune to vibration, and actually gets stronger as it ages..... so on paper anyway, it seems like the perfect material to tackle this aspect of the project with........ unless someone knows different, and if so, please chime in and school me!
                                              <message edited by BackAlleyBurger on Sun, 01/8/12 5:58 PM>

BackAlleyBurger

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Sun, 01/8/12 6:02 PM (permalink)
                                                lol, ooops...... i forgot i was in your thread....

BTM676

Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Mon, 01/9/12 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                                  I'm not going to lie, I filled my holes with weld, but I also only had about 20 holes. lol It worked out great tho. I filled them in from the inside and then sanded the outside. The small pin holes in the weld i'm going to use fine bondo to make a flush finish. I'll take pictures of the filled holes and when there sanded. I'll send you the pictures tomorrow night.

BTM676

• Location: Newfoundland, PA
                                                    Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Mon, 01/9/12 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                                    Oh I never heard of the 3m 5200. But i bet it would work great! I just dont know anything about it or worked with it to know. I'm not going to lie i do like the diagrams. haha Where did you get the adhesive from?

BackAlleyBurger

• Location: FAYETTEVILLE, NC
                                                      Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Mon, 01/9/12 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                                      any boating store worth its weight will have a few tubes of it..... and for the "aluminum colored" body caulking, go to a larger roofing/industrial supplier.... that stuff is nice for filling in the gaps between body panels and takes paint great !!

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                                        • Location: Springfield, IL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Mon, 01/9/12 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                                        Great pictures and great threads both of them. Anyone in the future that buys a truck is going to get fantastic advice and pictures. Speaking of pictures how deep / thick is the space between the inner wall and the outside skin, on a standard truck if there is such a thing?

I have plywood on my inner walls and was thinking of drilling small holes in the plywood and using the squirt in insulation triple expandable foam to insulate the walls. The plywood is pop riveted to the wall studs and I have two concerns.
                                                        Triple Expanding Foam 20oz

Is there a chance the foam will cause a hydraulic action and force movement in the inner/plywood wall or outer wall? I don't want to take the plywood down it was done by a professional customizing company that builds trucks to order, for contractors.

Jack
                                                        <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Mon, 01/9/12 10:10 AM>

BTM676

• Location: Newfoundland, PA
                                                          Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Mon, 01/9/12 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                                          I know that my outer wall is 1/8 thick. I would say that standard metal thickness for the truck. The beams in each truck vary. I know my ceiling wall beams are 1 and 1/2 inch. I dont think that the foam will bow the outer wall. What is the thickness of the plywood? Today I'm going to make something up with scrap metal and try it out with the 5/32 plywood (less then a 1/4 inch) I have. I'll drill a hole and use the foam to see what happens. I'll cut it in half and post a picture.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                                            • Joined: 10/11/2004
                                                            • Location: Springfield, IL
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Yet Another Food truck build! Mon, 01/9/12 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                                            An experiment would be greatly appreciated, and pictures are always a great addition. I'm not sure how thick my plywood is, and I'm off today but I'll go over and measure it. One thing I do know it's a very good grade plywood (oak) with one finished side. I'll take some pictures and post those this evening also.
                                                            Thanks
                                                            Jack

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 12, messages 1 to 30 of 347

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com