Yet another "study"

Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
2004/12/14 19:36:55 (permalink)

Yet another "study"

For some reason; not suprising to me.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&ncid=716&e=8&u=/ap/20041214/ap_on_he_me/immigrants__obesity

18 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 09:16:26 (permalink)
    I saw it in this mornings paper. They wonder why readership is down.,,,,,,,,,
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 09:48:06 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know how much time they spent around border towns like Matamoros or Juarez, but there seems to be no lack of obesity, smoking etc.. amongst those citizens...
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 10:34:38 (permalink)
    Yeah, let's blame everything "American" for another group of people becoming fat or smoking. What it boils down to is people come to America for the freedom to make choices - but their "choices" aren't very good. This article is precisely what makes the point that it is our own choices that make us into what we are. Another stupid liberal article promoting the "nanny" state, they're trying to "over-protect" everyone w/ more government. You know, drugs are legal in the Netherlands, however, the drug abuse rate is extremely low there. Could it be because people make the right choices?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 11:22:43 (permalink)
    Actually this is not a surprise---its been known for a long time that 2nd generation asian americans are taller-----why---more calcium in thier diet---milk and cheese---bigger bones---its noit surprising that when you move to qa country that has the largest food supply in the world and ready acces to almost anything that can be raised or grown--folks eat more! no big deal---got nothing to do with LIBERALS!--btw- Oneiron---did you bother to ask the folks that made this report if they WERE liberals or did you just decide that on your own!!
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 11:27:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Another stupid liberal article promoting the "nanny" state

Say what? Facts are facts, and the JAMA is hardly a 'liberal' publication.

Dino
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 11:32:14 (permalink)
    AS a mattewr of fadct MOST research today is federally funded one way or another and that means odds are good that the Bush administraion and the republican congress funded this!
    Oneiron339
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 15:39:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

AS a mattewr of fadct MOST research today is federally funded one way or another and that means odds are good that the Bush administraion and the republican congress funded this!

Now only if YOU had read the article, you would have noticed that the research was funded by the AMA, not any administration or party-majority congress to which you referred. But I digress.
    My point is if YOU read the headline, it states, "If You Move to America, You Might Get Fat", only solidifies my contention that everything negative is attributed to America, rather than the freedom of choice people have. And as we all know, recent attempts to restrict these freedoms are occurring i.e., food police, cigarette police, etc. And usually following right behind these are the liberal notions of more "government" to protect us from ourselves. It seems some folks don't liked to be tagged as "liberal." Oh, I'm sorry, that was you.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 16:35:55 (permalink)
    OneIron----do you REALY believe that the AMA is liberal organization!!!!!!!???????? And do you really belive that the folks who did this research wrote that headline????? Do you really beleive that the folks at Yahoo news reported this the way the researchers meant it to be used? and do you really believe that folks that want to tell what i can do in bed,who i can do it with, what i can teach my kids, what my daughter can do with her own b reproduvtive system, and what my children should be taught about religion are NOT creating big government???? Last i check we now have a MUCH bigger govt then we did 5 yrs ago!Oh well---then go right ahead! I have tried to shut up and stay out of this fray but im sorry----i still believe this is NOT the place for this--and i really like the original purpose of this site and dont want to upset folks but i really am tired of watching folks like meowzart haveing to defend herself from baseless accusations and listen to pontifications from folks with no more right to do so then i have. I truly hope i can sometime enjoy being here again but for now--im probably gonna get myself in trouble and dont know if i will be able to. Have a good time in your little world!
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 18:05:43 (permalink)
    Be that as it may, Tiki, you're still expected to make the journey to Hays' Smokehouse, for the next meeting of the West Tennessee Glee Club.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 18:34:51 (permalink)
    quote:

OneIron----do you REALY believe that the AMA is liberal organization!!!!!!!???????? And do you really belive that the folks who did this research wrote that headline????? Do you really beleive that the folks at Yahoo news reported this the way the researchers meant it to be used? and do you really believe that folks that want to tell what i can do in bed,who i can do it with, what i can teach my kids, what my daughter can do with her own b reproduvtive system, and what my children should be taught about religion are NOT creating big government???? Last i check we now have a MUCH bigger govt then we did 5 yrs ago!Oh well---then go right ahead! I have tried to shut up and stay out of this fray but im sorry----i still believe this is NOT the place for this--and i really like the original purpose of this site and dont want to upset folks but i really am tired of watching folks like meowzart haveing to defend herself from baseless accusations and listen to pontifications from folks with no more right to do so then i have. I truly hope i can sometime enjoy being here again but for now--im probably gonna get myself in trouble and dont know if i will be able to. Have a good time in your little world!

This article was published by the Associated Press (AP), not YAHOO!!!
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 18:41:18 (permalink)
    OK, enough America bashing. From what I have seen, we are one of the most smoke-free societies in the world. Have you ever seen how much the Japanese or French smoke cigarettes. Most Roadfooders only smoke their pork or briskit... just kidding. But honestly, I think the smoking rate is so much higher in most other countries. So we have lots of personal transportation and poor food habits leading to more weight, but so do many other nations. When's the last time you saw a skinny sumo wrestler?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 20:15:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

This article was published by the Associated Press (AP), not YAHOO!!!

WHOEVER--my point is that the JEADLINES are ALWAYS written by some esitor whose job it is to get yu to mread it and has NOTHING in commen with the intent of the folks that actually DID the reserch---inthis case it was more then like for medical purposes evidently
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/15 20:17:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Be that as it may, Tiki, you're still expected to make the journey to Hays' Smokehouse, for the next meeting of the West Tennessee Glee Club.

Looking forward to it!!!!
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/16 07:42:17 (permalink)
    "Trends in obesity among immigrants may reflect acculturation and adoption of the U.S. lifestyle, such as increased sedentary behavior and poor dietary patterns," they wrote. "They may also be a response to the physical environment of the United States, with increased availability of calorically dense foods and higher reliance on labor-saving technologies."

Well, yeah. Let's look for the moment at the fact that many immigrants are also poor, at least in the first generation. In this country, unlike others, the cheapest food - fast food, processed sugar, and fat - is also the least healthy and the most calorically dense as they put it. Plus, ARGUABLY, it tastes good (but let's not get into that here). Why is fast food cheap? Because among other things, McDonald's etc. take advantage of a very low minimum wage. That's the government, folks. Throw in the fact that low wages mean many immigrants have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to get by and they don't really have time to cook healthily for their families. Again, with no time to cook, fast food is darned appealing.

Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/19 16:29:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

OK, enough America bashing. From what I have seen, we are one of the most smoke-free societies in the world. Have you ever seen how much the Japanese or French smoke cigarettes. Most Roadfooders only smoke their pork or briskit... just kidding. But honestly, I think the smoking rate is so much higher in most other countries.

Some public health types say we're getting the better of the deal.

From today's New York Times:

"OBESITY is considered a major public health problem today, but a number of scientists are coming to see it as a comparative blessing, given the alternative. These public heath experts believe, in effect, that America may have traded smoking - a truly lethal habit - for the lesser deadliness of eating too much."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/weekinreview/19kola.html

Perhaps government policy discouraging smoking has led individuals to make better choices?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/19 16:40:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hiram Callahan

quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

OK, enough America bashing. From what I have seen, we are one of the most smoke-free societies in the world. Have you ever seen how much the Japanese or French smoke cigarettes. Most Roadfooders only smoke their pork or briskit... just kidding. But honestly, I think the smoking rate is so much higher in most other countries.

Some public health types say we're getting the better of the deal.

From today's New York Times:

"OBESITY is considered a major public health problem today, but a number of scientists are coming to see it as a comparative blessing, given the alternative. These public heath experts believe, in effect, that America may have traded smoking - a truly lethal habit - for the lesser deadliness of eating too much."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/weekinreview/19kola.html

Perhaps government policy discouraging smoking has led individuals to make better choices?

Yeah, BUT... Nevermind. Headin' out for my Hardee's quadrouple mega cheeseburger as we speak. (With extra bacon & mayo, of course ;)

not...
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/23 05:00:52 (permalink)
    One iron, simmer down. The truth is not liberal or conservative, it is the truth. People do get fatter when they come to America. They also have a lot more freedom which I think is a good thing
    Oneiron339
    RE: Yet another "study" 2004/12/23 08:31:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

One iron, simmer down. The truth is not liberal or conservative, it is the truth. People do get fatter when they come to America. They also have a lot more freedom which I think is a good thing

That was my point, the freedom issue, not the fact that people get fat. The other thing was the fact that the result of this was that somehow, somewhere the fat police (read: government)were going to seize this and make it a cause celebre to restrict freedoms as they have many times in the past. BTW, judging by the tone of some of the posts compared to mine, there needs to others "simmering down."
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1