Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT

Author
Hotdog-Gal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
Flagged as Spam (1)
2009/05/24 19:30:32 (permalink)

Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT

I just visited a small new market in  Meriden, CT that carries Thumanns.  He has Thumanns deli meat and cheese.  He did not have hotdogs because he said being in CT people want Hummel and Mucke's.  He said he would be glad to order them for me anytime I want.  I'm thrilled.

17 Replies Related Threads

John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2334
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/25 07:48:51 (permalink)
    That's good news hot dog gal. I live where Thumann's hot dogs are available and had one yesterday next to a Sahlen's and Hartmann's. I liked the Thumann's best although the other 2 were very good.

If you order Thumann's, let me suggest that you order the beef/pork grillers in the blue and white package. These are closer in flavor (but better in my opinion) than Mucke's and Hummel's. Thumann's also makes an all beef dog as well as a special dog for deep frying.

The beef dog and the griller are available in stores, but the deep fry dog is not. This is the same dog served at Rutt's Hut, Hiram's, Libby's, and many other north jersey places. When I wanted some of these, I had to have a pizzeria owner who uses Thumann's coldcuts order some for me.

It's good that some people will do this. Many deli's, pizzerias, and restaurants use Thumann's meats, which in my opinion are better than Boars Head. They get them from an independant Thumann's distributor. All you have to do is ask the owner or manager of the establishment to order some hot dogs from the distributor.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/25 08:13:50 (permalink)
    I also like Thuman's meats better than Boar's Head. I also hate the fact that Boar's Head like to monopolize when someone carries their meats. I can't buy cold cuts in two of my local grocery stores because all they offer is BH. I do love Thuman's dogs, though.  Their beef/pork grillers are great. I also just recently tried Schaller & Weber's natural casing weiners. They were good too.
    Beverly K
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/25 09:22:23 (permalink)
    I with you on the BH thing. I lived in central FL for three years and I would wonder whether BH owned the delis at Publix!

Here in PA, at Giant, we carry alot of BH product, but not as much as prviously. In the past couple of weeks, the deli has begun dropping many of the slow sellers and replacing them with a Giant-branded product.

I have never tasted Thumann's, but another brand I like which is carried by some of the Weis Markets is Deitz & Watson. I hear alot of people say that it is much better than BH.
    John Fox
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/25 11:04:25 (permalink)
    I know of 2 people who worked for Boars Head and Thumann's. Both said Thumann's is better. Everything is made on premise while Boars Head contracts out a lot of products.
    John63
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/25 14:45:14 (permalink)
    John Fox

I know of 2 people who worked for Boars Head and Thumann's. Both said Thumann's is better. Everything is made on premise while Boars Head contracts out a lot of products.

This is true. I work at a cheese company in Moonachie. And we do a lot of work for Boars head. Including smoked cheese and grated cheese in deli cups. We used to do more work for them but the cheese business is very competitive and the economy does'nt help either
    Beverly K
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/25 14:59:03 (permalink)
    From what I am led to believe, BH is ONLY a distributor.

When I lived in FL and there was a recall of their deli turkey breast, the memo came from Cargill in Texas. I remember it hanging on the bulletin board, in the back of the deli.
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/29 16:36:26 (permalink)
    What is the name of the store?
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/29 16:55:45 (permalink)
    Gee ANOTHER "flagged" msg, man somebody REALLY needs thier Eagle Scout badge.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/29 17:13:32 (permalink)
    I LOVE Thumann's hot dogs in the natural casing. I go nuts when I'm out of them because Hirsch's Meat Market is about 20 miles from me. Try Thumann's pork breakfast sausage links. They are to die for!
    If you'll email Thumann's at their website, they'll give you the number to the distributor in your area and then you can find out who stocks what. That's what I had to do here in Dallas.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/29 19:19:23 (permalink)
    Beverly K

From what I am led to believe, BH is ONLY a distributor.

When I lived in FL and there was a recall of their deli turkey breast, the memo came from Cargill in Texas. I remember it hanging on the bulletin board, in the back of the deli.

BH does have a number of manufacturing plants around the country, including turkey plants. They also re-sell a lot made by other manufactureres. It is really hard to tell today what they make and what they buy.
    Hotdog-Gal
    Junior Burger
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/05/29 22:42:54 (permalink)
    Hey.  What's up with my message being 'flagged as inappropriate'?

The name of the store is Meriden Supermarket.  They are on Hall Avenue (right off of Broad Street/aka route 5) in Meriden, CT.

Boy, everyone here was right on about Thumann's cold cuts being better that Boars Head.  I tried a few and they are indeed better.  Never thought I'd find that.  I am so sold on Thumann's!  I put an order in for a 5 lb box of pork/beef dogs with natural casings.  Can't wait.
    jonsull
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/06/01 13:02:58 (permalink)
    Thanks hot dog Gal......................how much would you need to get for him to order them for you?  I'd order a 5 lb box if i need to.
    Hotdog-Gal
    Junior Burger
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/06/01 17:54:05 (permalink)

I'm not sure what the minimum would be.  He was not sure if they came in a 3lb or 5lb box.  He called today and said they would be in tomorrow.  I use a reynolds food sealer that is terrific.  I'll seal some and keep them in the fridge and seal the rest and freeze them.  So the Mucke's/Thumann's taste test is on for tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/06/01 17:57:22 (permalink)

Be sure to post some "Taste Test Photos"
    John Fox
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/06/01 19:03:56 (permalink)
    Have fun with your taste test. When I was in Connecticut a few years ago to visit my daughter at school, I stopped at a supermarket to buy a few loose hot dogs to take home. I compared Grote & Weigel, Hummel's, Mucke's, Deutschmacher, and Kayem's. The Grote & Weigel frank was bad so it was discarded. Deutschmacher (which may now be made by Kayem), Kayem, and Mucke's were very similar. All great and I preferred them to Hummels. By the slimmest of margins, I picked Mucke's. I think it's my favorite Connecticut frank.

Mucke's and Thumann's are 2 of the finest franks in the area. Thumann's is distinctive and I can definitely pick it out blindfolded. It's my favorite beef/pork frank. Depending on your own personal taste, I'm sure you will prefer one to another.

I'll be waiting with interest to see how you liked them.
    Hotdog-Gal
    Junior Burger
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/06/02 21:06:40 (permalink)
    And the winner is....Thumann's.  Fox knows his dogs!  Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Thumann's has a smoky flavor that Mucke's doesn't which added a little kick.  I liked it.  I steamed them and had Nathan's hot dog mustard and onions on them.  I did a blind taste test with a friend and she picked the Thumann's.  Also more of a snap than the other CT dogs.
    These did come packaged in blue and white pkgs and were approx. 2+ lbs per package.  Each package was approx 11 bucks. I noticed he had 3 more packages in the case and he also had about 4 smaller pkgs of the skinless Thumann's.  Maybe he wants to see how they sell. So in answer to jonsull, you can buy a 2 lb minimum.
    I also agree with John that for here in CT, Mucke's is the best. 
    Now I hope this guy stays in business...not a good time to be opening a new market.
    John Fox
    Re:Yippee! Found Thumanns in CT 2009/06/03 06:24:30 (permalink)
    Hot Dog Gal,

Thumann's (and Mucke's) in my opinion are so much better on a grill or griddle. Try them that way next time!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1