Yodels>Ho Ho's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Eatallday
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
2007/09/10 19:53:02 (permalink)

Yodels>Ho Ho's

For some reason most of my life i've always dismissed the Yodel and went for the Ho Ho... since Ho Ho's were so common and could be found anywhere while Yodels while still at most supermarkets are a little more obscure. But for the last 5 months we been carrying all the drakes snacks at my work and i been consuming the majority of the yodels. Well today the hostess guy came in and put the products right up next to the drake's so i had to see for myself which one reigned supreme. 1st up the yodel, dark ganache outside coating, very good chocolate, the cake was dense and enjoyable, creme was tasty. next up the ho ho...while a ho ho is bigger in size this is definately the case of quality over quantity. the coating on the outside is lighter, more of a milky preservative taste. the cake is a lot more fluffy, light, airy some words to describe it. the creme is alright but creme's least important part to me anyway. Yodel wins in a landslide. what do u guys think?

40 Replies Related Threads

divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/10 20:02:55 (permalink)
    It is my dream to deep fry a hoho (like a twinkie or oreo). There. I admitted it. Now, I guess I will have to try a yodel first to make sure I batter the right cake.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/10 23:09:40 (permalink)
    Both Yodel and HoHo, just like the Ring Ding and Ding Dong (fka King Don, and Big Wheel because of legal issues with Ring Ding). Now they're all the same company, and in the NY area, the Ding Dongs (and I think the HoHo's) are actually made at the Drake bakery! But they are so different, and the Drake's were always more unique and with a better consistency and taste. Sadly, they never went national like Hostess, and even under the ownership, IBC has pulled Drakes out of places like Florida!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/11 00:01:52 (permalink)
    my favorite nowadays is a "whoopie pie", mostly found in the Amish country !
    choc cake saucer with a creamy whipped center...

yum!
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/11 01:06:22 (permalink)
    I've always been a Devil Dog man.
    frogger67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/13 14:13:01 (permalink)
    Yodels over Ho Hos....Devil Dogs over Suzy-Qs.....Ring Dings over Big Wheels (or Ding Dongs, whatever they call them now)....Yankee Doodles over Hostess Cupcakes.

Drakes rules. Too bad all we have in our area are the Drakes Fruit Pies, FunnyBones (my least favorite) and Devil Dogs. But three is better than none.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/13 14:16:30 (permalink)
    What's a funny bone? Also, the postings in tehis thread keep making me smile. The names...it's like falling into a Suess story.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/13 14:30:51 (permalink)
    These were all rare and special treats when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I was the only one who liked Funny Bones the best. When I could get 'em, I went for the full decadence.

The Funny Bone, as I recall, was chocolate cake (I think with the Yodel frosting) with a sweet peanut butter filling. Definitely sweet enough to send most mortals into a 24-hour coma.

Hostess had more and better advertising. Drake's cakes ruled for taste.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/13 15:33:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

yum!

Yes indeed. When it comes to food, sometimes I really miss living on the East Coast. The Whoppie Pie is one more example that of the 50 states, Pennsylvania takes honors when it comes to unique cuisine by region. There are just some things you can't find anywhere else, and whoopie pie is one of them.
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/13 16:09:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Eatallday

For some reason most of my life i've always dismissed the Yodel and went for the Ho Ho... since Ho Ho's were so common and could be found anywhere while Yodels while still at most supermarkets are a little more obscure. But for the last 5 months we been carrying all the drakes snacks at my work and i been consuming the majority of the yodels. Well today the hostess guy came in and put the products right up next to the drake's so i had to see for myself which one reigned supreme. 1st up the yodel, dark ganache outside coating, very good chocolate, the cake was dense and enjoyable, creme was tasty. next up the ho ho...while a ho ho is bigger in size this is definately the case of quality over quantity. the coating on the outside is lighter, more of a milky preservative taste. the cake is a lot more fluffy, light, airy some words to describe it. the creme is alright but creme's least important part to me anyway. Yodel wins in a landslide. what do u guys think?

Yes, I've always preferred Yodels to HoHos. I do think though, that the taste has changed over the years. I hadn't eaten those snacks for many years and when I tasted them again they seemed not as chocolatey and sweet. Funny Bones tasted awful as well as Ring Dings. Devil Dogs are about the same.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/13 21:13:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by frogger67

Yodels over Ho Hos....Devil Dogs over Suzy-Qs.....Ring Dings over Big Wheels (or Ding Dongs, whatever they call them now)....Yankee Doodles over Hostess Cupcakes.

Drakes rules. Too bad all we have in our area are the Drakes Fruit Pies, FunnyBones (my least favorite) and Devil Dogs. But three is better than none.
    You're lucky you have them at all in VA. They were never big down there, and the last I had heard, even the DC-Baltimore area distibutor had folded. So who's distributing them now? IBC? (Are they sold with the Hostess products, delivered in the same truck like they are in NY?)
    frogger67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/14 10:49:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Eric B

quote:

You're lucky you have them at all in VA. They were never big down there, and the last I had heard, even the DC-Baltimore area distibutor had folded. So who's distributing them now? IBC? (Are they sold with the Hostess products, delivered in the same truck like they are in NY?)

Not sure who distributes them, but they sporadically show up in supermarkets around here--Giant and Safeway mostly but sometimes Shoppers Food Warehouse.
    There is a Wegman's about 30 minutes away and since that's a NY based food store, maybe they have more Drakes?
    Yankeesfan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/15 19:40:20 (permalink)
    When I was little my mother would buy Devil Dogs every week. We would ask her to please buy Ring Dings or Yodels or whatever else was around, but it was ALWAYS Devil Dogs. So while I'm sure they are delicious I have a bit of an aversion to them now.

On a related note, this is sad: my local 7-11 just stopped selling Zingers. Alas ...
    janifer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/21 08:09:01 (permalink)
    Drakes has had a presence in the Florida Panhandle for about 15 years, though never the full selection that my friends from NJ grew up with.

I loved Ho-Ho's and when I moved from NE Ohio 30 years ago my Mom would mail them to me. Hostess products finally showed up here about 10 years after I did and I was thrilled at the prospect of Ho-Ho's whenever I wanted them ... but they had changed. The cake was thin and dry and the choco coating had a plastic quality to it. Oh well.

I've never tried Yodels but I'll look to see if they're available and give them a try.
    Yankeesfan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/09/25 12:39:34 (permalink)
    Janifer, I also have tried an occasional Ho-Ho and found it disappointing; was never sure whether I was just remembering it incorrectly or if it had changed. So you've answered that question.

Now this is seriously distressing: it appears that ALL of the 7-11s in my area have stopped selling Zingers!!!
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/10/25 19:40:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Not sure who distributes them, but they sporadically show up in supermarkets around here--Giant and Safeway mostly but sometimes Shoppers Food Warehouse.
    There is a Wegman's about 30 minutes away and since that's a NY based food store, maybe they have more Drakes?

Wegman's? Never heard of that store. Can't be from NYC; might it be western NY State or something? Or a regional store chain owned by a company based in NY?
    quote:
    Originally posted by janifer

Drakes has had a presence in the Florida Panhandle for about 15 years, though never the full selection that my friends from NJ grew up with.
    Are the STILL there? I had heard they were pulled out of Florida. At least in the Orlando area, they were all gone two years ago.
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/10/26 15:03:19 (permalink)
    Ho-Hos used to be better than Ding Dongs when they first came out. Now I like Ding Dongs better. I don't think we can get Yodels here. We can get Little Debbie Swiss Rolls though, but I haven't tried them.
    MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/10/27 19:11:13 (permalink)
    Yodels, no question about it! At least, that's my fond memory of them from the early 90s--have not seen them here (Colorado) since then. Even then, it was only ONE store selling them. When I was a kid in the 60s back east, Drakes products were everywhere.

Funnybones were a little too sweet for my taste, which is why I like Yodels--they were closer to being "rich" than "sweet", at least in comparison with other kiddie snacks.

But what I really, really miss are Drakes cookie packs. Six (?) large, thin, slightly spicy CHEWY oatmeal cookies, mmmmm. The sugar cookies were yummy, too.
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/10/27 20:00:50 (permalink)
    You can throw Little Debbies into the mix there. I think they all taste the same. Funny Bones are the best!
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/01 21:40:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MissJohnnycakes

Yodels, no question about it! At least, that's my fond memory of them from the early 90s--have not seen them here (Colorado) since then. Even then, it was only ONE store selling them. When I was a kid in the 60s back east, Drakes products were everywhere.
    Maybe that was the same expansion that took them out to California in '89? Out there, it was Von's supermarkets that were distributing them.

But in '89, when I was in Denver, you all had Break Cakes, with the choc. vanilla, strawberry Shake Cakes. Now, how did you like THOSE?
    Sure wish they were still around, and would come here to NY!
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/01 21:59:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

yum!

Yes indeed. When it comes to food, sometimes I really miss living on the East Coast. The Whoppie Pie is one more example that of the 50 states, Pennsylvania takes honors when it comes to unique cuisine by region. There are just some things you can't find anywhere else, and whoopie pie is one of them.

WHO WHOA WHOA WHOA! HOLD ON THERE COWGIRL/BOY!!!!!!
    Whoopie Pies are QUITE common in the Boston area. In fact I thought they originated here! I'll have to check that. In any case the best ones IMHO (I have tested MANY) are by Steve's Snacks in Maine (I meant to write down the town, Oskegan or something?). They have a website but it isn't running full speed yet. Thick, rich, large and perfect - for me. YUM!!!!!!!

(BTW I almost started a thread on whoopie pies recently, in fact I searched every spelling of the word and came up with nuthin', good ole search function, hmmmm.)
    cecif
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/01 22:03:02 (permalink)
    I forgot to stay on topic and add that I am a Ho-Ho fan. But I have only had a Yodel once and forget what it was like...

According to Wikipedia (yes I know not the be all end all but still...) whoopie pie origins are uncertain but they are common in PA and New England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopie_pie

The article is wrong when it says they are available at Quincy Market in Boston and fails to mention any place else - we (Boston area) have them at almost every bakery around and most supermarkets as well. Very common. I like mine with the thicker more sugary, less fluffy, filling.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/02 13:08:09 (permalink)
    Ye gods, Ding Dongs! Is there any snackcake that's better? Just the scent of a Ding Dong, just out of the package, is enough for my eyes to roll back in their sockets...
    cecif
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/02 13:49:20 (permalink)
    I can never decide when faced with that choice: Ding Dong or Ho Ho...!!!!!!!

MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/12 22:38:50 (permalink)
    Eric B,

I have not eaten Break Cakes, unless they are a line from Little Debbie's. Every Little Debbie item I've tried was way too sweet for my tastes.

There was a website specializing in niche food items. Many of the nostagia-inducing foods mentioned in this bbs were available from them. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company!!!!! If I do, I'll post it in Roadfood for sure.
    MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/12 22:45:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

WHO WHOA WHOA WHOA! HOLD ON THERE COWGIRL/BOY!!!!!!
    Whoopie Pies are QUITE common in the Boston area. In fact I thought they originated here! I'll have to check that. In any case the best ones IMHO (I have tested MANY) are by Steve's Snacks in Maine (I meant to write down the town, Oskegan or something?). They have a website but it isn't running full speed yet. Thick, rich, large and perfect - for me. YUM!!!!!!!

(BTW I almost started a thread on whoopie pies recently, in fact I searched every spelling of the word and came up with nuthin', good ole search function, hmmmm.)

If they're not a New England specialty, they sure aren't a national one! They don't seem to sell them in the west. I just returned from a trip to Massachusetts (where I grew up). Stopped in a "village store" in East Orleans and was in whoopie pie heaven. They had *fresh* PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIES! They also had Steve's Snacks ones, which I did not try because their homemade pumpkin ones were so good that when I returned the next day, I had to get another one! By the way, the Steve's whoopie pies were noticeably smaller than these unnamed pumpkin whoopies. But Steve's had a maple nut flavor that I wish I'd bought for later consumption.
    cecif
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/13 08:49:30 (permalink)
    MissJohnnycakes, any chance the place in Orleans where you had the whoopie pies was "Hot Chocolate Sparrow"?? BTW Steve's Snacks pies are sometimes smaller than other brands but they are far better quality cake & filling than most, IMHO. Pumpkin sounds yummy btw.

mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/13 09:04:20 (permalink)
    Wow! Living in Dallas, the Hostess stuff is in competition with Mrs. Bairds- there are no Drakes Cakes in Big D.
    Since we are originally from upstate NY, Drakes ruled at home, as far as we were concerned. I'm not that big on chocolate but my spouse is...personally, I loved the cinnamon crumb cake snack- boy that was good with a cuppa!
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/14 11:01:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MissJohnnycakes

Eric B,

I have not eaten Break Cakes, unless they are a line from Little Debbie's. Every Little Debbie item I've tried was way too sweet for my tastes.

There was a website specializing in niche food items. Many of the nostagia-inducing foods mentioned in this bbs were available from them. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company!!!!! If I do, I'll post it in Roadfood for sure.
    Break's was by RAINBO Bread (Campbell Taggart, now Earth Grains). I first saw them in San Antonio (Bread label was COLONIAL; and that's where I first saw Mrs. Baird's as well, which is now tied in with national Hispanic snack brands Bimbo and Marinelas). I also saw the Rainbo Breaks at a truck stop on I5 between LA and San Francisco, though those cities themselves did not seem to have them. (SF had the Kilpatrick label bread, though). Now, though Earth Grains is still around it appears the cake label as well as all the old bread labels seem to be discontinued.
    MissJohnnycakes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's 2007/11/14 20:23:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

MissJohnnycakes, any chance the place in Orleans where you had the whoopie pies was "Hot Chocolate Sparrow"?? BTW Steve's Snacks pies are sometimes smaller than other brands but they are far better quality cake & filling than most, IMHO. Pumpkin sounds yummy btw.

No, the store that sold the homemade pumpkin whoopie pies was the East Orleans Village Store, or something to that effect. It is on the way to Nauset (town) beach. I did go to the Sparrow, though, for ice cream (Richardson's maple nut). I already miss the great food in Mass. *sigh*
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1