York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA

Author
jkealey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/05/18 15:34:58 (permalink)

York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA

Will be traveling from York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana with an overnight in Springfield, Ohio then traveling on to Nashville, Tennessee then back to York, PA with a overnight in Kingsport, Tennessee.  

Springfield, Ohio - 1 night
Bloomington, Indiana - 2 nights
Nashville, Tennessee - 2 nights
Kingsport, Tennessee - 1 night

Any recommendations for great Roadfood spots would be appreciated.  I am already planning stops at Young's Dairy in Yellow Springs, Ohio; Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, Kentucky; and 24 Crows in Flint Hill, VA

7 Replies Related Threads

phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/18 16:00:32 (permalink)
    I recently made the trip from Philly to Bloomington, IN. Page 2 from this thread has the report:

http://www.roadfood.com/F...ntucky-m675572-p2.aspx

I highly recommend stopping at Henry's ( http://www.roadfood.com/R...nt/Overview/544/henrys ), just west of Columbus, OH, for pie. It was a borderline life-altering experience for me. Nothing right in Bloomington blew me away on this last trip. But previously, on another trip, I was very impressed with Hinkle's Hamburgers, which is on the outskirts of town. You should also take the half-hour or so drive up to Mooresville, just southwest of Indy, to hit Gray Bros. Cafeteria ( http://www.roadfood.com/R...ray-brothers-cafeteria ).

Oh ... and if you're going to be in Bloomington on a Saturday, they have an outdoor farmers' market right in the center of town in the morning-afternoon. We stopped by there and found a couple interesting items, including tamales and barbecue.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2012/05/18 16:06:37
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/21 13:24:51 (permalink)
    While in Bloomington I would highly recommend a stop at Nick's English Hut on Kirkton just two blocks from the IU campus, they get their beef and pork products from local farms and make great hamburgers.  If you have time in Bloomington make sure you wander around the campus.  It has some truly beautiful architecture.

Sixteen miles north of Bloomington is Nashville, Its a cute, artsy area with lots of shops and little restaruants.  If you need a snack the Jack & Jill Nut Shop on the main drag roasts fresh nuts on the premise and makes outstanding candies.

There is a famous sandwich being made in Gnawbone which is 4-5 miles east on Nashville on 46 at the Gnaw Bone gas station right next to Pat's Gnaw Bone Sorghum Mill.  The sandwich (which is reputedly great) is a breaded pork tenderloin.  Pat's make some wonderful fresh bread there and sells all kinds of funky stuff.

I posted a little trip log on this forum that talks about some of these stops.  Just look back a page or so and you can see them.

Please be sure to update us on how your trip went and any great food finds you might come across.

Safe travels
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/21 13:44:14 (permalink)
    If you;ve a craving for pie you ought to try Henry's outside West Jefferson, about 20-25 miles east of Springfield on U.S. 40.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/544-544/henrys

Get off I-70 West at Ohio Route 29 and go left (South) to U.S. 40. (Less than a mile) Turn right (West) and Henry's will be down the road a little and on your left.

FYI: You can continue west on 40 right into downtown Springfield.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/21 13:59:12 (permalink)
    Rocky Enfield
    There is a famous sandwich being made in Gnawbone which is 4-5 miles east on Nashville on 46 at the Gnaw Bone gas station right next to Pat's Gnaw Bone Sorghum Mill.  The sandwich (which is reputedly great) is a breaded pork tenderloin.  Pat's make some wonderful fresh bread there and sells all kinds of funky stuff.

Unfortunately, Gnaw Bone Food and Fuel, the place referred to above, has gone out of business. The gentleman who ran the place and made the pork sandwiches apparently decided to call it quits. I had the good fortune of having one of those sandwiches before they closed down.
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/21 17:44:09 (permalink)
    Unless he closed it in the last 4 weeks it was open under the original owner when I was there in April.  He reacquired the gas station back in 2010/11 and is serving his original recipe breaded pork tenderloin.  Just not open on Sundays.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/21 18:55:56 (permalink)
    Wow. Thanks for the correction! I remember reading that he had closed the place a while back, but I hadn't seen anything about it reopening.

That's one more place to add to the list for the next trip out to Bloomington.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2012/05/21 18:57:09
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:York, PA to Bloomington, Indiana to Nashville, Tennessee to York, PA 2012/05/21 23:01:04 (permalink)
    It is now known as Gnaw Mart. See my postings under the Pork Tenderloins thread.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1