The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations!

drchanterelle

• Total Posts: 95
Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sat, 11/29/03 1:39 PM (permalink)
OK, if no one else is going to do it, I will. Anyone want to share your family's favorite dishes using leftover turkey? At my house, when we get tired of Thanksgiving re-dos, our favorite leftover dish is some sort of curried turkey with raisins and apples. Then maybe a big pan of baked turkey enchaladas, followed by cold turkey salad. We're not big on turkey soup, 'cause by the time that time rolls around, we are really sick of the taste of turkey, and there's no room in the freezer anymore.

How about your's? jm

Sundancer7

RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sat, 11/29/03 2:13 PM (permalink)
    I know this ain't that great, but I did turkey tamales using matzo meal, green chiles and other exotic spices. Actually I was pretty pleased. I made about 3 dozen and had them for lunch today along with a neat turkey chili.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
      RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sat, 11/29/03 5:33 PM (permalink)
      Three "gotta haves":

1. My wife, Vickie, is the originator of this. At the end of Thanksgiving dinner, she makes a "casserole" dinner of leftovers for us to have the next day we're all home (she's a nurse, and works evenings). She takes a large Corningware casserole dish and layers the mashed potatoes thickly on the bottom (real mashed potatoes, not "whipped" spuds; redskins with the skins on, hand-mashed with butter and cream). Then she covers the top with slices of leftover turkey. Finally, she covers the whole mess with leftover gravy. Put the whole mess, covered, in a cold oven then set at 350 degrees. Peas (or this year, green beans) are warmed separately. I must admit I looked askance at this the first time she did it--but it's great! And the turkey, if it tended to dryness, absorbs moisture and rehydrates.

2. Leftover Thanksgiving gumbo. Gumbo made with a dark roux, the "holy trinity", turkey or other poultry stock, andouille, etc. I make about a couple of gallons.

3. Turkey salad. Big cubes of turkey, dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, and good mayonnaise (homemade if you can), mixed with celery and shallots, served on a bed of shredded lettuce with hardboiled eggs, olives, slivered red bell peppers (roasted, even), red onion slices (soaked in iced water for an hour to cut the bite), shredded carrot . . . or whatever you want! If you've got fresh parsley, so much the better.

I gotta go put #1 in the oven.....

Texicana

• Total Posts: 185
        RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sat, 11/29/03 8:11 PM (permalink)
        Turkey tetrazzini in my household.

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
          RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sat, 11/29/03 9:52 PM (permalink)
          I posted this under "Ways to cook the bird", but I'll repost here.

Here are my mom's two leftover-turkey recipes:

Everything Turkey Casserole

Turkey
          Stuffing
          Mashed sweet potatoes
          Cranberry Relish
          Gravy

There are no measurements in this recipe. It's a matter of layering the ingredients in a casserole, using either the stuffing or sweet potatoes as the base. Then pile on the other leftovers, topping it all with gravy and baking at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

Turkey Cashew Casserole

1/4 cup chopped onion
          1 1/2 cups diced celery
          2 tablespoons butter
          1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
          1/2 cup light cream
          1/3 cup turkey broth
          2 cups cooked turkey, diced
          1/4 pound salted cashews
          1 large can Chinese noodles (those little crunchy ones)

Saute onion and celery in butter. Mix with other ingredients, reserving half the noodles, and pour into large buttered casserole. Top with remaining noodles and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or untl bubbly and brown. Serves 4-6.

marberthenad

• Total Posts: 509
            RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sun, 11/30/03 12:44 AM (permalink)
            Turkey Milkshake

marberthenad

• Total Posts: 509
              RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sun, 11/30/03 12:45 AM (permalink)
              Just kidding

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
                RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Mon, 12/1/03 2:06 PM (permalink)
                I made turkey pot pies Saturday night. Sauteed onion and garlic. Microwaved 2 carrots, 1/4 lb. of frozen peas, 2 potatoes chunked and mixed them all into 4 cups chopped turkey (I used both white and dark-----seemed to work well). Made a gravy out of a can of evaporated milk and a can of chicken broth, simmered them with 2 bay leaves, celery salt, white pepper and a pinch of mace. Thickened it with a few spoons of cornstarch in a little white wine. Mixed it all together and put it in my french onion soup bowls. Covered it with your choice of dough(I just made a basic butter pie crust but you can use biscuit dough or a puff-pastry top too. Baked omn a baking sheet to catch overflow at 350 degrees till golden brown. Everyone was full and happy!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                  RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Mon, 12/1/03 3:44 PM (permalink)
                  It's probably too late for leftovers, but we like to chop turkey meat in some gravy and serve over waffles for post-holiday usage. Also, boil the carcass w/ onion, celery, carrot and make a good broth. With the strained broth make turkey corn soup with chopped turkey, celery, noodles, and hard-boiled eggs.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                    RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Mon, 12/1/03 4:02 PM (permalink)
                    Here's another thread with some leftover ideas:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1972

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                      RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Mon, 12/1/03 4:05 PM (permalink)
                      If you still have anything left, make a stock from the bones as the basis for a hot & sour soup, using shredded turkey at the last minute. Most leftovers recipes are still to bird-related and very western. Try a warming Oriental twist.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                        RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sun, 12/7/03 9:29 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Grampy

If you still have anything left, make a stock from the bones as the basis for a hot & sour soup, using shredded turkey at the last minute.

Yesterday I made a turkey & rice soup that I'm very very proud of. Using the leftover turkey wings from thanksgiving (and it was a smoked turkey, which resulted in a delicious soup), mushrooms, parsley, onion, black pepper and finally, rice. My kids had seconds and thirds. That's a measure of cooking success, in my eyes!

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                          RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sun, 12/7/03 1:05 PM (permalink)
                          I have been working so much the past week, our turkey has been sitting, nicely wrapped in the back of the fridge until last night. I pulled the meat, chopped some for turkey pot pie with a crust of cream biscuits. I bagged the rest for future use. Tetrazini is also a fav in our house. We use the recipe from the 100 ways to cook chicken book.

After picking the bird I boiled the carcass with onions, celery, thyme garlic, salt and pepper corns for soup stock. There was a little bit of cornbread stuffing clung to the ribs which gave the stock a thick cloudy look. I think I'm turning it into a mexican bean soup with a little jalepeno, and fried corn tortilla stip noodles, ( and maybe a dolip of sour cream).

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                            RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sun, 12/7/03 2:38 PM (permalink)
                            A Kentucky Hot Brown is a fine way to use the leftover turkey's white meat. The dish was created by a chef at the former Brown Hotel in Louisville and is popular year round in Kentucky. Many of Kentucky's better restaurants have it on the menu.

Basically, slices of turkey meat (or turkey and country ham) are placed on slices of toasted white bread. A cheese sauce is then generously poured over this and it is broiled a bit. It's made as an individual dish in restaurants and is often served with 2 slices of just fried breakfast bacon crisscrossed on top and a slice or two of ripe tomato. The tomato is sometimes broiled too.

A family member adapted the recipe for the day after Thanksgiving. For a family meal, she made the Kentucky Hot Brown in a large baking pan. It was always sensational, because her sauces were so good (she was the food editor at a major southern daily).

I regret that I don't have the classic recipe here to share, but the cookbooks that have it are loaned out. I remember using the one in Out of Kentucky Kitchens by Marion Flexner (c1949).

I phoned a friend and learned the recipe is on pages 31-32, under "Brown Hotel Sandwich Specials". Specifically, the dish is titled Brown Sandwich "Hot". I guess the popular names, "Hot Brown" or "Kentucky Hot Brown" had not yet caught on.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Your Best Turkey Leftover Creations! Sun, 12/7/03 4:45 PM (permalink)
                              Turkey Ala King... Over fresh made biscuts... mmmmmmmm....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com