Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/02/20 16:45:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Rick F.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Maynerd

But... the deli meats at Central Market are fantastic.
Central Market where?

I think they are a division of H.E.B, so mainly in larger Texas cities; Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Ft. Worth.
http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp

I agree. Boars Head has some really good products.

I think that Central Market (San Antonio) carries another favorite sausage, cold cut line of products of mine by Karl Ehmer.

http://www.karlehmer.com/
dallasfoodie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/02/29 21:26:29 (permalink)
Yes, I think Boar's head is the best. Trouble is that I am now reluctant to buy any more sliced meats that are done at the Deli.
I became very ill from sliced meat two times in one year; both times from Whole Foods deli case. I usually only buy vacuum packed stuff now. If anyone knows a place in Dallas Metroplex to get sliced Boar's head stuff and you know it's clean and fresh, I'd like to know.
forurlungsonly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/02/29 23:10:58 (permalink)
For anyone familiar with Hannaford supermarkets, found in New York, Massachusetts, a few other states, they have what I believe is an exclusive brand, Williams(of Vermont, I think). They make a garlic and herb turkey that is fantastic. Smells very strong but tastes incredible!
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/03/18 20:46:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Yes, Dietz and Watson are very popular in the Mid Atlantic area.

I've always found it interesting that many hoagie shops in Philly identify whose salami or mortadella thay are using, and some will use meats from 3 or 4 purveyors on the same sandwich.

Dietz & Watson for me followed by Boar's HEad in a close 2nd.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/03/18 22:07:13 (permalink)
I just bought some Boar's Head Cajun turkey breast. My, my, they do things right!
icogitate
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/01 23:47:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

There are innumerable varieties and brands of cold cuts, but I think nothing compares to Boar's head. If I may swipe something Redtressed posted in another thread: "Woe to those who don't have Boars Head availiable to them. One of the few, and I mean FEW brands recommended by the American Heart Association and the American Diabetic Association, yet so tasty and just better than what you can get at most supermarket delis. It's only availiable two places here, both sandwich joints. I convinced one to start selling by the pound and carrying the extensive line, they did under reservation, and now have the best deli business in the area. Kudos for Boars Head from me."

Still, with all the varieties they offer, I love the combo of the basic Deluxe Ham and Double Gloucester Cheese. What's your favorite brand and cut?
icogitate
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/03 02:35:11 (permalink)
what are the criterion for choosing the CHOICEST TOP ROUND( i guess it goes by LONDON BROIL as well) COLD CUTS?

Does the meat have to look fuchsia? When I buy BOAR'S HEAD or DIETZ & WATSON at my local super market it usually has shed that clear fuchsia color and is more on the brown side of things. Do you think I should seek a speciality butcher for my cold cuts?

thanks
icogitate
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/08 15:31:49 (permalink)
Give me a Honey Baked Ham sandwich or Carnegie Deli pastrami on rye. It's a tie. I can't choose.
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/08 16:02:35 (permalink)
Speaking of Kieibasa, look at the following web site for the best I have ever had.
http://www.bluesealkielbasa.com/
Grampy
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/08 16:04:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sagud

Speaking of Kieibasa, look at the following web site for the best I have ever had.

Right in nearby Chicopee Mass. We don't have much BBQ, but we do have kielbasa!
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/09 09:22:44 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sagud

Right in nearby Chicopee Mass. We don't have much BBQ, but we do have kielbasa!
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/10 10:49:52 (permalink)
I finally found some Boar's Head in the midwest. A couple of the "Baker's" supermarkets in Omaha have started carrying the full line. Great stuff!

The "Boar's Head" web site doesn't show who carries it, but I called, got the distributor's number, and found that I could satisfy my hunger even before I head to Massachusetts in August for my next project.
hotdogger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/06/14 03:11:33 (permalink)
Boar's Head is my favorite cold cut brand and in the NYC area they seem to have cornered the market. I remember a 'Hansel and Gretel' brand of cold cuts at delis but I don't see them around anymore. The only other brand of cold cuts at delis I can think of is Thumann's.
nklhd
Junior Burger
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/07/02 13:08:53 (permalink)
Forget Boar's Head, Schwind's Pork Store on Rte 46 in Rockaway NJ has simply the best German coldcuts in the tri-state area. Try 'em and you will never eat Boar's Head again!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18664
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/07/06 13:45:42 (permalink)
quote:

The Cajun Turkey is also quite good.

And, yes, sliced thin! The deli paople think I'm a mad man when bark that I want it all sliced thin. I can never understand when people ask for it on two or three.

I finally found some Boar's Head Cajun turkey. Oh, my! That stuff is great. I bought a half pound of it this afternoon, sliced very thin, and most of it didn't make it home. Thanks for that tip.
Grampy
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/07/06 14:01:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

The Cajun Turkey is also quite good.

And, yes, sliced thin! The deli paople think I'm a mad man when bark that I want it all sliced thin. I can never understand when people ask for it on two or three.

I finally found some Boar's Head Cajun turkey. Oh, my! That stuff is great. I bought a half pound of it this afternoon, sliced very thin, and most of it didn't make it home. Thanks for that tip.

I hadn't had any for a while, but there was half a pound of it in the fridge today. The missus must have known something was in the air!
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/07/06 14:52:08 (permalink)
While living in the NYC area I never opted for Boars Head cold cut etc. products since they were 2nd(IMHO)rate as compared to products made by Forest Pork Store, Morschers, Karl Ehmer etc.. in the Ridgewood NY area.

But since moving to the west I find it necessary to purchase Boars Head products in my town unless I am in the mood to drive a couple of hours to the Phoenix, AZ(one way)area to go to the Best of Europe Polish Sausage store. They beat Boars Head by a country mile.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18664
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/07/06 15:20:30 (permalink)
Well, if you ever swing by Old Saybrook, Connecticut, stop in at Walt's. Their kilebasa beats Boar's Head, too.
Grampy
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/07/06 15:25:13 (permalink)
In the end, nothing beats locally made, handcrafted products, but I must applaud Boar's Head for its national consistency. We have great kielbasa here, but before Boar's Head, most cold cuts were hardly worth the bother.
Adrianne
Junior Burger
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/08/17 21:21:24 (permalink)
Dietz is by far my favorite, after i learned that Boar's Head is mostly private labeled by other companies, plus the fact that they use MSG in their roast beef. Dietz makes all of their deli meats in house and they are more reasonably priced.
mttbrn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/08/27 16:57:57 (permalink)
Boar's Head is freaking horrible!!! Okay, not HORRIBLE but totally unremarkable. Yet still you see those signs proclaiming "we serve only boars head cold cuts". I mean who cares? I'm not a fan of that sliced turkey roll crap OR Black Forest Ham though. When I want Roast Beef I'd prefer that the place have an actual roast not some phoney log o' beef. Give me Gallo brand salame (can you get this outside CA?) or good ol' Oscar Meyer bologna any day!
cocacolakid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/09/04 06:02:36 (permalink)
There is a small deli in the Chicago area that carries Boar's Head. It's in Westmont, I don't know the name of the place, I've only been there a couple of times. They make sandwiches and I think you can buy the Boar's Head meats by the pound.

It's tucked into a little mall just barely West of the Route 83 interchange on the North side of Ogden avenue. The mall also has a dvd store that was the largest laserdisc store in the area for about 15 years, if you know where that is. I believe their sign just says "Deli"
DerangedMetsFan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/09/12 10:46:06 (permalink)
Boar's Head, Karl Ehmer and Thumann's are my favorites. I love the Karl Ehmer's deli on South Ocean Avenue in Patchogue, NY....they pile the meat on.

I'm also glad almost every supermarket in the NY area sells Boar's Head, very delicious.
DerangedMetsFan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/09/12 10:53:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hotdogger

Boar's Head is my favorite cold cut brand and in the NYC area they seem to have cornered the market. I remember a 'Hansel and Gretel' brand of cold cuts at delis but I don't see them around anymore. The only other brand of cold cuts at delis I can think of is Thumann's.

I believe the Hansel and Gretel brand is still around. I think I see them at Compare Foods. Compare has 14 locations, 5 in Nassau Co. (3 in Freeport, 1 each in Hicksville and Farmingdale), 6 in Suffolk Co. (Two Brentwood, 1 in Farmingville, 1 in Central Islip, 1 in Bay Shore and 1 in Wyandanch), plus two in Bridgeport, CT and one in Providence, RI
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/09/12 12:15:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mttbrn

Boar's Head is freaking horrible!!! Okay, not HORRIBLE but totally unremarkable. Yet still you see those signs proclaiming "we serve only boars head cold cuts". I mean who cares? I'm not a fan of that sliced turkey roll crap OR Black Forest Ham though. When I want Roast Beef I'd prefer that the place have an actual roast not some phoney log o' beef. Give me Gallo brand salame (can you get this outside CA?) or good ol' Oscar Meyer bologna any day!

They don't make "turkey roll" or "log o' beef"...just the real stuff. I think you are confusing them with another brand.
Grampy
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/09/12 12:45:13 (permalink)
I see Boar's Head as a standard of continued quality. How many times have we said that some things just don't taste the way they did when we were young? We know that our tastes change and develop, but most processed foods have also changed -- for the worst. The McDonald's I grew up with in the 60s was not the same as the McDonald's I gave up eating in the 80s, but the Boar's Head ham sandwich I had for lunch was every bit as good as the ones I had as a nipper. That we still respect good food is evidenced by our search for great Roadfood haunts when eating out, and our buying the best meat, baked goods, and produce when eating at home. As to that wall of packaged Oscar Mayer bologna in every supermarket...
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/09/13 10:22:45 (permalink)
I really do like Crown Bologna, but I remember back in the 60's and 70's my Dad used to go to the local distributors and buy a roll of bologna-he always called in Sack bologna. It came in a White burlap type bag and we could slice it to the thickness that we wanted. That was really good bologna-I haven't had any in years that tasted as good as that. I don't guess that that kind is available any more.
EJsMom
Junior Burger
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/10/21 15:47:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

I would like to echo the sentiments for the Black Forest Turkey and the Maple Glazed turkey. I also like the Cracked Pepper Mill Turkey. They are all so good and moist that you don't need a whole heap of condiments to make the sandwich have a little taste. Here in Florida, Boar's Head is available at all Publix supermarkets, but also at a local gourmet deli called Petty's. They are actually even cheaper than the supermarket on most items. I do look forward to getting back to Long Island where every Mom and Pop deli from Baldwin to Port Jefferson sells Boar's Head. Not every meal in NY has to be expensive!

Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. I have been looking for a good meat market for some time. I am sick to death of the same old boring meat that Winn Dixie and WalMart have to offer. As soon as I read your post, I located and went to Petty's. What a wonderful shop. The meat is amazing. I will say that they didn't really have a huge selection of cold cuts available today though...Anyway, thanks for the tip.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2004/10/21 20:10:39 (permalink)
I didn't realize Boar's Head was so highly regarded. it's readily available in Knoxville I just didn't know it was so special.

carl reitz
kelehr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Your Favorite Cold Cuts - Boar's Head? 2005/07/12 01:26:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adrianne

Dietz is by far my favorite, after i learned that Boar's Head is mostly private labeled by other companies, plus the fact that they use MSG in their roast beef. Dietz makes all of their deli meats in house and they are more reasonably priced.

Actually, Boars Head has 5 plants & they make 95% of their products. Some of the dry cured Italian products ie Prosciutto di Parma are made to their specs.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1