Your Favorite Discontinued Beer.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 12:33:26 (permalink)
Calgary - not sure if it is discontinued but I haven't seen it around for a long time now.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 12:43:25 (permalink)
1. Primo from Hawaii. I understand it may have been brought back by Miller? Or perhaps it enjoyed a short lived ressurection.
2. Fallstaff, St. Louis
3. Van Merit...in college we bought it for .99/six pak
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 12:46:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Do they still advertise, "Have a Gansett"?

I have seen no ads, except point of sale ads in the store. Sorry for the late reply
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 14:11:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

It's not as you say; Beer Advocate has IC Golden Lager as a "B", Sam Adams Boston Lager as a "B+". IIRC correctly, and I very well may not, the recipe for Sam Adams was derived from the recipe for IC Golden Lager.

That Beer Advocate rating for IC Golden Lager is based on one review!

Other reviews have been less generous.

Posting from work, I don't always check as deliberately as I should! I just saw the number and moved on. Still, I remember it as a good beer for its time (late 80s). When I moved to NE PA, I brought two cases with me.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 15:29:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca
Posting from work, I don't always check as deliberately as I should! I just saw the number and moved on. Still, I remember it as a good beer for its time (late 80s). When I moved to NE PA, I brought two cases with me.

I happen to like several IC's brew, and my friends in western PA always make fun of me for this!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 19:50:37 (permalink)
Narragansett is distributed by a marketing company in Rhode Island:
http://www.narragansettbeer.com
The Narragansett beer is now brewed by High Falls in Rochester, NY. Tastes a lot like Genny (a High Falls brand) to me.

Primo was resurrected by Pabst Brewing:
http://www.thatsprimo.com
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8496
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 19:59:57 (permalink)
Schlitz is back!!!My favorite Milwaukee beer back in the day-dont know who is making it, but it tastes the same to me!
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 20:55:37 (permalink)
Ann, if you are talking about the original formula Schlitz sold in bottles, Pabst is having it contract by Miller/Coors in Eden, NC. Reviews I have seen indicate Pabst got the taste right.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/22 21:02:06 (permalink)
Hopefully, the same can be done for some other great old brands
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/23 08:51:48 (permalink)
David...thanks for the link. I guess its back full force in Hawaii. Hope it gets to the mainland. BKK
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/23 14:36:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jesskidden

Anheuser-Busch imports Tiger Beer, but don't know where they distribute it. http://www.anheuser-busch.com/BeerVerified.html Page down half way or so to "Imports" (you'll have to go through their age check first)........

The strange thing about Hamm's is that it was a Pabst owned brand for a few decades, after Pabst bought Olympia. Then, when Stroh folded in 1999, Pabst and Miller divided up the Stroh-owned brands (which by then also included the many old Heileman labels). Pabst took the majority of them, Miller just a few - most notably Henry Weinhard and Mickey's Malt Liquor- AND confusingly, Miller also wound up with the Pabst-owned brand, Hamm's.

Never did read a explanation on why that was, save for maybe Miller (strong in the mid-West) wanted another "discount" brand (altho' there were a bunch of Heileman brands that would have fit, as well)? As you note, they do seem to be ignoring the brand, letting it slowly die, according even to this fan site:
http://www.hammsclub.com/LocateHamms.htm

jesskidden ...you are the David McCullough of brewery history!
Thanx so much for the tip on Tiger beer ... that was the one!
dews
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/28 12:43:04 (permalink)
I have the luck to get Hamms at the local Hy-Vee in council bluffs ia still tastes great on hot days, reminds me of bailing hay on the farm back in mi. We would get the "thin beer " for hot days working outside
cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1630
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/30 10:15:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Schlitz is back!!!My favorite Milwaukee beer back in the day-dont know who is making it, but it tastes the same to me!

That brings me back to my college days in the NYC area! (When the legal drinking age was 18.)
My favorite was Schlitz on draft, for .25 a glass.

At that same time, Ballatine IPA was one of the few bottle-beers that McSorley's was selling. I think the only other one was Guiness.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/30 10:45:20 (permalink)
Hey get your cold beer! Hey get your Ballantine

Even though its still made its not the real thing;though the old Newark brewery went out long before I was of drinking age , my grandfather was a driver for Ballantine.
A few times he brought the big truck down our street and I was able to get in ( much to the envy of the other kids)...he would then take me on some rounds, and at every tavern I was given a big soda drink and some snacks while the delivery took place- what good memories! Also I rememeber how Ballantine gave out turkeys to employees on Thanksgiving- good old time company...side note: later my grandfather ( who never drank)told me that employees at the brewery had beer breaks during the day and could drink as much as they could handle- sounds like such a happy place!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/30 10:57:13 (permalink)
So many of the old labels bought by new breweries don't remotely taste like what once was...it's almost a sin to give them an old distinguished brand!!
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/30 11:18:35 (permalink)

Burger Beer
Hudepohl (sp?)

Both Cincinnati beers.

Stroh's is that gone?
Olympia? A 1970s rival to Coors back in the day both were pearls of great price to anyone east of the Rockies
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/30 15:15:57 (permalink)
Though Ballantine ALE is still produced, Ballantine LAGER BEER is not. I tried to find out a few years ago when production of the beer ceased, but could not fix the date. It was brewed in a few places after Newark closed down.

Stroh is currently one of Pabst's brands:
http://www.strohbeer.com
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/30 18:00:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

Though Ballantine ALE is still produced, Ballantine LAGER BEER is not. I tried to find out a few years ago when production of the beer ceased, but could not fix the date. It was brewed in a few places after Newark closed down.

Yeah, tho' Falstaff put some effort into Ballantine XXX Ale, they let the lager die a long, slow death. It quickly became an "economy" brand (unlike the ale) and was even brewed by Falstaff's "sister" breweries, General and, IIRC, Pearl, as well.

I'd guess it disappeared around the time that the last Falstaff brewery closed (Ft. Wayne- in 1990) and Pabst (by then also owned by S&P, the owner of Falstaff/General/Pearl) started brewing the Ballantine Ales (dropping the IPA when Pabst's Milwaukee brewery closed in '96). It is possible that Ballantine Beer continued to be brewed at the Pearl brewery in Texas or the Pabst Tumwater, WA brewery, but it was certainly long gone from it home market of New Jersey-NYC metro area by then.

David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/01 22:17:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

So many of the old labels bought by new breweries don't remotely taste like what once was...it's almost a sin to give them an old distinguished brand!!

Lee,
Since we are in the same general necks of the woods, were you referring to all those Northeast brands that all wound up being owned by Pabst, or others not sold around here?

In my early years, I saw the following breweries around here fold: Rheingold (Liebmann), Schaefer (Brooklyn, then Lehigh Valley), Pabst Newark, Schlitz Brooklyn, Rupert Yorkville, NYC (Knickerbocker), Ballantine Newark, Schmidt Philadelphia, Piels Brooklyn et. al. Consolidation brought a few new brands into town: Stroh (brewed at Schaefer Lehigh Valley), Mickey's, Haffenreffer, Colt 45, St. Ides, Falstaff, Old Milwaukee, Champale, Carling Black Label, Blatz (sporadically), Hamm's.

Presently, Pabst sells the following one-time massive sellers around here: Schlitz cans (not the resurrected good stuff), Piels, Schaefer, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schmidt's. To my taste buds (and to Lee's, apparently,) none taste the same as when they were brewed in NY/NJ/PA.

Has anyone been able to document if and when the formulas of these beers were changed to reduce brewing costs?
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/02 08:25:03 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Has anyone been able to document if and when the formulas of these beers were changed to reduce brewing costs?

Perhaps the best article I've seen, with quotes from brewmasters, on the changes in recipe and techniques a brand has gone through as it bounced from brewery to brewery is this one about the Ballantine ales (XXX and IPA): The Late, Great Ballantine http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_13_51/ai_63841298/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

I think it's safe to assume that similar- probably worse - things happened to the original formulas of beers like Schaefer, Piels, Schmidt's, etc. (Indeed, the Schmidt's of Phila. brand was purchased by Heileman in the 1980's. Heileman had previously purchased the Schmidt Brewery of St. Paul, MN., and eventually "merged" the two brands [marketing region, labeling, etc], so it's safe to say one of the Schmidt(s) beers isn't original.)

I think ANY talk of "original formula" by most any brewery has to be taken with a grain of salt- well, grain of malted barley, maybe. Given that beer is brewed from agricultural products that vary greatly from year to year (starch content of barley, sugar content of adjuncts, bitterness levels of hops, new hop variations, etc.) for a brewery to make a consistent product from year to year (and, these sorts of beers certainly prize "consistency" over any concept of yearly "vintages"), they HAVE to adjust the recipe. Many of the "old line" breweries also tended to prefer to use the same yeast for all their beers (laziness? Fear of cross-contamination?) which probably also explains why many US porters and ales were bottom fermented in the pre-craft age. I doubt that Schaefer maintained Piels' yeast strain much less Miller uses the original strains for all those 30+ Pabst labels they brew today.

When a brewer says "original recipe", one has to assume the recipe looks something like this: "Mix a quantity of malted barley with water, cook a cereal grain or syrup. Mix together. Add hops or hop extract. Add yeast."

Take for instance Jim Koch's claim that his Boston Lager is brewed using his great-grandfather's pre-Prohibition recipe. In more forthcoming interviews, it's been freely admitted that the (in)famous "brewing consultant", Joseph Owades, had to "tweak" that recipe because of vast difference in barley yields and hop varieties today compared to a century ago (He also adding dry-hopping and krausening to the process).

Another example being Anheuser-Busch's recent admittance that the IBU's of Budweiser (long claimed to the same recipe as the 1870's) has been constantly sliding lower in the past few decades.

With beers like the vast Pabst collection, sold at discount rates, it's probably even worse as far as "authenticity" goes. Before they even got under the Pabst umbrella, they'd been "dumbed down" by the original and/or previous owners. The east coast beers, in particular, (especially the so-called "Bushwick Pilsners") were traditionally heavier than the Mid-Western "national brands" (Bud, Schlitz, Pabst) and as the latter "invaded" their region, and they lost market share to those "modern" beers, they often changed their recipes to a "lighter" version. Unfortunately, they often only lost their loyal customers, rather than win back any of the folks who'd abandoned them in the first place.

quote:

quote:

Consolidation brought a few new brands into town:, Champale

Champale! Odd to see that one on the list. Actually, it was a somewhat local brand, originating in Trenton, NJ. (They also had a 'sister' brew called "Champ Ale", tho' I never saw it.) The brewery in Trenton (which over the years went by several names, and once brewed "Trent Ale") was owned by the Hertzberg's, father and son, who also owned the Old Dutch brewery in Brooklyn and the Metropolitan Brewing Company of Manhattan in the post-Pro era. Other famous brands of their's included Copenhagen Castle which survived into the 1970's (tho' it was rare even in NJ) and they were one of several US brewers who brewed and marketed "Black Horse Ale" (formerly a Canadian brand).
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/02 08:57:16 (permalink)
Facinating reading,jesskidden...I guess we who remember fondly old beers should give up hope of our tastebuds being reunited with those tastes of yesteryear...
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/02 13:06:52 (permalink)
I used to really enjoy Pabst Blue Ribbon's premium brand, Andekker, so vastly superior to Michelob
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/02 13:35:32 (permalink)
Wow...i had forgotten about Andekker...it was good!!!!
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/02 13:38:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by californyguy

... my grandfather ( who never drank)told me that employees at the brewery had beer breaks during the day and could drink as much as they could handle- sounds like such a happy place!

definitely a happy place. I don't think theres a business anywhere where they allow drinking on the premesis anymore.
Heck, there's hardly even a bar anymore where you can actually say to the bartender "what can I buy ya?" and he/she will have a drink with you.

When I lived around Nashville for a bit in the 1970's, to make some extra cash I and a friend delivered the Nashville Banner newspaper. When we would go to the depot which was a double-wide trailer in downtown Nashville to pick up our load of papers, they always had a half barrel of beer on tap sitting out on the front porch in a little refrigerator with a tap sticking out of it. There was a shoebox next to it, a stack of cups, and a sign that said "25 cents per cup - honor system". I think the keg was usually Pearl Beer.
iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/05 04:10:41 (permalink)
Back in the mid-90's, Lone Star started brewing a bock beer to compete with Shiner Bock. It was less expensive than Shiner and I thought it had a better taste. They don't make it anymore.

Also, there was a small brewery in Austin at that time called Balcones Fault that made some very good beers, but it's gone now too.

Some others that I remember from my college days: Busch Draft, Coors Gold, and Brown Derby. They were all very cheap at the time (about 4 or 5 dollars a 12-pack). Brown Derby may still be around, but I haven't seen it here in Oklahoma for a long time.
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/05 12:35:20 (permalink)
Coors Gold, now called Extra Gold Lager, is still sold in the NYC Metro area in 30 packs for about $13 at the discount beer distributors
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/06 12:09:46 (permalink)
Another fine beer usually only found on Puerto Rico as well as NY, Philly, Chicago and other cities with large Puerto Rican populations was Corona Beer which had nothing to do with the Mexican brand. Nowadays the former Corono beer brewery in Myaguez is being used by Bacardi to produce the former Cuban brand of beer, Hatuey which is better than when it was brewed in Bacardi's Bahamas brewery when it was first launched in the US
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/07 19:23:23 (permalink)
One beer that is still made but hard to find is Labatt 50 Ale. It is still brewed in Canada...but I am having a hard time finding it in the Boston area.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/10 23:52:34 (permalink)
I have not been able to find Stroh's for a very long time. If anyone knows if it is still made I'd certainly like to hear about it
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/11 13:08:55 (permalink)
Stroh's is now a Pabst brand, contract brewed by Miller et. al. You can find it in about half the NYC supermarkets, where it sits along with the other budget beers. It still is more "hoppy" than other Pabst zombie brands, but doesn't taste as good as the stuff I bought in Detroit back in the day. In recent years, I have seen it in CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, OH, MI, and WI.
There is a distributor locator on the Stroh's web site:
http://www.strohbeer.com/locator/
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1