Your Favorite Discontinued Beer.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/11 20:09:21 (permalink)
<<I don't think theres a business anywhere where they allow drinking on the premesis anymore.>>

I think the last may have been Straub Brewery in St. Mary's PA. One of the very few "old school" small local breweries (as opposed to Micro Breweries) left in the US. I seem to recall reading that the beer limit was reduced to 2 per day and then discontinued altogether maybe 10 years ago.

When I was there in the 80's, visitors could walk right in (i.e. no long boring tour) and help themselves to free beer in the tap room. That's probably not true any longer either.
Bigapetite
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/11 20:13:17 (permalink)
Not sure if it has been discontinued but I certainly haven't seen it in years.
Ringnes which was produced in Norway but I think bottled here.

Come to think of it, to all the people I have mentioned it to,it seems that no one even else even heard of it.
Anybody else remember this brew?
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/11 21:31:06 (permalink)
Ringnes was always carried by the old Sloan's supermarket chain in NYC. Someone over at Chowhound says the last US Fed label approval was in 2002. Apparently, no one is importing it into the USA at this time. It is still a huge seller in Norway.
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/11 21:37:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

<<I don't think theres a business anywhere where they allow drinking on the premesis anymore.>>

I think the last may have been Straub Brewery in St. Mary's PA. One of the very few "old school" small local breweries (as opposed to Micro Breweries) left in the US. I seem to recall reading that the beer limit was reduced to 2 per day and then discontinued altogether maybe 10 years ago.

When I was there in the 80's, visitors could walk right in (i.e. no long boring tour) and help themselves to free beer in the tap room. That's probably not true any longer either.

According to the Straub website, the free beer is still available:
http://www.straubbeer.com/brewery.htm
The last time I was there was in 2006. I had them fill my trunk with all the beer they could get in. Then, I walked into the office to buy some mugs. On the way out, I started to pour beer, but got too much beer foam. One of the executives helped me pour the beer. There is no such thing as free; they ask you to clean your glass when you are finished.
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/12 07:32:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

I have not been able to find Stroh's for a very long time. If anyone knows if it is still made I'd certainly like to hear about it

As "David NYC" notes, Stroh's is still brewed, by Miller, marketed by Pabst and is still widely distributed. Certainly, one would think that Ohio would still be a major market for them, being next door to it's original Michigan home. I'd suspect that Miller's Ohio brewery is probably one of it's brewing sites. An "8" in the last digit of the Miller's two line date code (stamped on bottle necks or can bottoms) would be a beer from Trenton, Ohio.

One reason you might miss Stroh's is that at some point they switched to a predominantly blue colored label/can, from the classic red. Certainly doesn't look like Stroh's.

Also, the beer is no longer "fire brewed", coming from Miller plants, so be prepared to be disappointed. Stroh was very proud of it's "fire brewing" technique -which entailed heating the brewing kettle with gas flames rather than a heat-jacketed brew kettle. They claimed the "hot spots" created a bit of carmelization of the brew, giving the beer a unique taste.

When they first expanded beyond their home brewery in Detroit by buying the Schaefer brewery in eastern PA (now home to Boston Beer Co.'s Samuel Adams) they spent a lot of money and PR on converting that brewhouse to "fire brewing". Can't recall if they also did it to all they Schlitz breweries they bought a few years later, tho', so I'm not sure when the "fire brewing" stopped.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/15 08:47:52 (permalink)
Is lowenbrau still around?
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/15 09:06:56 (permalink)
In Germany!!!!
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/15 10:29:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

Is lowenbrau still around?

The German Lowenbrau brewery was purchased by their Munich neighbor, Spaten in 1997 (they also brew Franziskener). A few years later, Miller lost the contract to use the name "Lowenbrau", and Labatt picked it up in 1999, supplying a Canadian, contract-brewed version to the US market that was supposedly the "original recipe" (unlike Miller's adjunct brew).

The Labatt-brewed Lowenbrau only lasted a few years, and today the US market is supplied with German brewed Lowenbrau again. Since InBev bought Spaten-Lowenbrau in 2004, Lowenbrau is now imported by Anheuser-Busch's subsidiary, the Import Brands Alliance- along with the other big German import in the US, Beck's (also owned by InBev).

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1860
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/10/15 11:03:07 (permalink)
I miss the hefeweizen from Stone City Brewery, Solon, IA. Nice nice Hefe. But mostly because it was a smalltown local brewery, for the locals, by a local. My hometown. Sadly, lasted only about 3 years. Microbrewery's turn over as fast as resturaunts.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/09 06:53:01 (permalink)
I haven't seen Stroh's in years...are they still around?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/10 10:54:53 (permalink)
Back in the mid '80s Walter Brewing of Eau Claire WI brewed "Eau Claire All Malt Beer" (I'm pretty sure that was the name) and it was excellent. Unfortunately there was a quality control slipup at the brewery, some bad batches went out, and the resultant negative word-of-mouth killed it.

Brad
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/10 18:18:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

I haven't seen Stroh's in years...are they still around?
I posted some information on page 3 of this thread right under your question. Also, jesskidden posted detailed information about Stroh's on October 12th that appears here on page 4.
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/11 08:59:36 (permalink)
According to a presumably accurate Wikipedia entry, that 1970s favorite of mine (having a mystique similar to Coors for us east of the Rockies--it was very hard to get) Olympia beer at the end of its life (1896--2003) was owned by Miller who closed it down on July 1, 2003, claiming it too small a brewery to be profitable.

Apparently Clint Eastwood was a major Olympia fan, having featured it in "product placement" mode in several of his movies.

It was a good beer--crisp, not bitter, good flavor. I miss it.
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/11 12:47:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tfrielin

According to a presumably accurate Wikipedia entry, that 1970s favorite of mine (having a mystique similar to Coors for us east of the Rockies--it was very hard to get) Olympia beer at the end of its life (1896--2003) was owned by Miller who closed it down on July 1, 2003, claiming it too small a brewery to be profitable.

Pabst bought the Olympia brand and their Tumwater, WA brewery back in the early 1980's. Olympia at the time had taken steps to become a national brewer by buying Hamm and Lone Star. Pabst would later sell the Tumwater brewery in 1999 to Miller as they proceeded to get out of the brewing industry- becoming what they themselves have termed a "virtual brewery"- by having all their brands contract brewed (mostly by Miller).

But Pabst still markets Olympia beer, tho', like most of their brands, it's probably only available in certain parts of the country. (Looks like Pabst recently changed their website and no longer lists all their brands and their distribution areas - that company's lack of sense is quite amazing.)
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/11 13:43:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jesskidden
But Pabst still markets Olympia beer, tho', like most of their brands, it's probably only available in certain parts of the country. (Looks like Pabst recently changed their website and no longer lists all their brands and their distribution areas - that company's lack of sense is quite amazing.)
Pabst must have taken umbrage at me calling them a brewer of zombie beer brands. So, they started buying a bunch of new URL's for a lot of individual brands, and seem to be adding more as time goes by. They redirected pabst.com to pabstblueribbon.com. Then, I found this:
"Effective November 1, 2008, the www.pabst.com address will no longer be the home of the Pabst Brewing Company corporate site. Access to Point-of-Sale, Repack, EFT/Invoicing, and Virtual Brewery Systems will be through the below link:"
http://www.pabstbrewingco.com/distributors

If you click on the "Our Portfolio" tab you get links to these new web sites, which seem to have distributor locators. These web sites also have those same bull****e addresses you see on the bottles and cans. It makes it look like a lot of independent breweries. Olympia has new a page up already:
http://www.olympia-beer.com/

They probably weren't even imbibing when they thought of this brilliant scheme.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/11 13:52:47 (permalink)
And the brewery still sits vacant and decaying in Tumwater, WA. And the community of Olympia workers and the jobs are still gone. As our remaining auto makers sink toward bankruptcy, I hope we will re-think our business values because the ones we've clung to haven't been very valuable at all.
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/11 18:30:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

quote:
Originally posted by jesskidden
Pabst must have taken umbrage at me calling them a brewer of zombie beer brands.

You ain't the only one. I've been b*tching about the "S&P Corporation" (the former name of the parent company that took over Pabst in the '80's) since they started screwing with the Ballantine ales and closing Falstaff's breweries. (I did really like the short-lived Ballantine Brewers Gold Ale, circa 1980 tho'.)

quote:
quote:

. So, they started buying a bunch of new URL's for a lot of individual brands, and seem to be adding more as time goes by. They redirected pabst.com to pabstblueribbon.com. Then, I found this:
"Effective November 1, 2008, the www.pabst.com address will no longer be the home of the Pabst Brewing Company corporate site.

Yeah, I figured that's what they did, but a quick Google for "Pabst Brewing Company" didn't turn up anything that looked official for me. Their website's been something of a joke for the last few designs. They've often gotten Ballantine Ale and Ballantine Beer confused (that's the case now, again, I see) and for a time, about 2 versions ago, they misspelled "Schaefer" as "Schaeffer".

A quick look at some of the "History" section for the individual brands and it appears as if they've simply swiped most of the info from Wikipedia (which is notoriously incomplete and inaccurate for most every beer/brewery I've looked up).

For instance, for the Oly listing they actually get the (admittedly confused) 3 way deal between Olympia-Pabst-Heileman in the early '80's wrong and claim that Pabst bought Heileman in 1983(!).

"The Schmidt Family elected to sell to G. Heileman Brewing Company in 1982 and Heileman's was subsequently purchased by Pabst in 1983."

(It was actually the other way around, with Heileman buying Pabst, keeping a few breweries [Blitz-Winhard, Pabst, GA, etc] and a few brands [Henry Weinhard, Lone Star, etc] and, to keep ahead of the Anti-Trust Feds, spinning off a "new" weakened Pabst that was later bought by Kalmanovitz's S&P [at the time, General/Falstaff/Pearl].)

The "Ballantine Ale" History Page http://www.ballantineale.com/history/ seems to be pretty much an edited version of a copy/paste from the fine Ballantine Ale page on the Falstaff beer fan website http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/ballantine_ale.htm
David_NYC
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/11 21:49:36 (permalink)
Wow, Pabst hired a klepto web design company. But I suspect the sad truth of the matter is that Pabst headquarters no longer themselves know the real history of their brands because of all the changes. Files get lost in transit or just outright stolen by disgruntled employees as work centers keep re-locating.
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/12 09:09:03 (permalink)
quote:

Wow, Pabst hired a klepto web design company. But I suspect the sad truth of the matter is that Pabst headquarters no longer themselves know the real history of their brands because of all the changes. Files get lost in transit or just outright stolen by disgruntled employees as work centers keep re-locating.

I've always figured the Pabst sites were done by slacker-age interns who are "paid" with out-of-date 30 packs of Blue Ribbon.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/12 09:43:14 (permalink)
Back about 11-13 years ago I knew a guy who knew a guy who could get Ballantine Ale in 16-oz. cans for $5/case. Never knew how the connections worked and didn't think it wise to ask.

Brad
tusti
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/30 11:55:31 (permalink)
Back in the 50s in St. Louis if it wasn't "Bud" it probably would have been Falstaff or Griesedeck Bros., both of which were spin-offs (I think) from the old Lemp Brewery.

Then at the bottom of the heap, there was 905 Beer. This stuff was truly skunk XXXX in a can. I was in the National Guard at the time and one of our first sergeants bought enough cases of this stuff to totally fill up the back of a duce and a half truck. The idea was that his troops wouldn't run out of beer during their summer camp stay up in Minn. He sold us the crap for 10 cents a can and I'm very sure he made a handsome profit for himself.
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/30 12:17:33 (permalink)

Don't forget the novelty "Billy Beer" during the Carter administration. Urban lore suggested that it tasted of peanuts.

Of course a steady diet of Lowenbrau and corn nuts kept us going for our late night college-age exploits!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/11/30 13:47:38 (permalink)
I drank a Billy Beer. I took one for the can collection. It did not taste like peanuts. It just tasted like cheap beer.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/12/25 08:14:27 (permalink)
I can remember sitting at the cincinnati reds games and drinking a Hudepohl.

post edited by porkchopexpress - 2008/12/25 08:15:46
Pogo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/12/25 16:51:20 (permalink)
I miss Pabst Blue Ribbon Bock. It used to come out each spring. Last one I had was in the 70's.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2009/01/02 13:43:31 (permalink)
David_NYC

Coors Gold, now called Extra Gold Lager, is still sold in the NYC Metro area in 30 packs for about $13 at the discount beer distributors

I really like that beer... I've only found it in a package store in Williamsport, PA, I pick a 30 pack or 2 up when I'm down there. I can't even find regular Coors here in central NY.

The only beer I remember drinking that seems to be gone is Red White and Blue... of course, I was underage the last time I had it (1986 or 87).
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2009/01/02 14:23:34 (permalink)
Gold seems to be still availablre in the Delmarva area as well.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2009/01/04 10:52:52 (permalink)
It's still made but no longer imported into the USA.  Prior to the brewery being bought out by SAB Miller in 2002, Geneva International in Illinois used to import the beer brewed by Velkopopovicky of the Czech Republic. Did I mention the name?  It's called Kozel of course!  

There used to be a beer called Kozel (John Kozel) that was brewed in Washington DC and unrelated to the Czech beer of today, but that's another story.

http://www.kozel.cz/en/homepage.html

post edited by kozel - 2009/01/04 11:13:39
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2320
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2009/01/09 23:03:24 (permalink)
This one hasn't been discontinued, but last week at the Stone brewery in SoCal., I had a pint of oaked Arrogant Bastard.  I shoulda had two.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2009/01/20 04:25:24 (permalink)
arrogant bastard is excellent stuff. we used to only find it in bottles, but there's a local pizza place that has it on tap now :)
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1