Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2008/09/16 01:00:07 (permalink)

Your Favorite Discontinued Beer.

Dearfolk,
Why am I sitting here thinking about Blind Man Ale? That was made here in the mid-1990's by a brewery (Blind Man Ales, natch!) that was described by a visitor as "the second most primitive brewery in the world; the most primitive is in Burkina Faso."
Following introduction of their idiotically hoppy, cask-conditioned flagship product, production was expanded first to Blind Man India Brown Ale ("Think Newcastle on steroids," one reviewer wrote) and then to Blind Man Espresso Stout. The first batch of draught Espresso Stout contained enough coffee that after drinking 4 pints of it in 5 hours, I was rendered nearly permanently sleepless: my mother noted my room light burning at 7:00 A. M., peeked in to find me reading, and commented "You tell John [Gayer, the brewer] that I said to include some decaffinated coffee in there!" He did in subsequent batches, and I was no longer guilty of sleep deprivation.
If the company had been capitalized better, it would surely still be in business. An amazing rattling bottling line (fresh from the Biscoe, North Carolina Coca-Cola plant) did help matters, but there was no quality control to speak of, and some batches didn't turn out as well as others.
Many beer lovers in these parts regret the all-too-soon passing of Blind Man; there is still Blind Man signage in The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club in Atlanta; Barley's in Asheville, N. C.; and Nick's Deli in Clemson, S. C.
Now -- do any of you have an out-of-production brew memory to share here? Now's the time!
A Wee Bit Thirstily, Ort. Carlton in Joyful Athens, Georgia.

149 Replies Related Threads

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/16 23:06:51 (permalink)
    Esslinger, as well as Rhinegold, although I hear that the latter has been resurected, although I have not been able to locate it in the Delmarva area. Anybody know anything?
    CLVdog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/16 23:46:36 (permalink)
    Horlachers from Allentown Pa. Back in the mid 70s they brewed a "Perfection Beer" that was out of this world at $8.00 a case.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 08:43:26 (permalink)
    Iron City Golden Lager. Very similar to Sam Adams.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 08:44:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phildelmar

Esslinger, as well as Rhinegold, although I hear that the latter has been resurected, although I have not been able to locate it in the Delmarva area. Anybody know anything?

They revived Rheingold around 2000. I think it was actually a relative of the original owners who did so. It was okay, but rather pricey. I would keep some around for my Dad, who was always a fan of the original. It then disappeared again a few years later, I recall reading someone had bought it, and planned to sell nationwide, but not sure if that ever happened or will ever happen.
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 08:47:05 (permalink)
    quote:

Rheingold was "revived" a couple of times, but seems to have disappeared again. The last attempt (by an outfit called "DrinksAmerica" that also sold brands "endorsed" by Willie Nelson and Donald Trump) the beer - in a clear bottle- was sold as "less calories than Corona". http://www.drinksamericas.com/brands.cfm/brands/59860

An earlier attempt at reviving Rheingold was headed by a former SoBe executive, Norman Snyder, who now head up the High Falls Brewery in Rochester, NY (formerly Genesee).

Esslinger, on the other hand, was a minor brand of Rheingold itself, after the Philly brewery closed. (If I recall my "east coast minor beer brand" history correctly) when Rheingold itself closed (late 1970's), most of the brands were picked up by Schmidt's, a few went to Ortlieb's (both Philadelphia breweries) yet the Esslinger brand wond up at The Lion (Wilkes-Barre) where the ownership of the name is probably still resides. Sorta doubt it's still being marketed, tho'- altho' a few of those old Lion brands still exist.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 23:15:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jesskidden
    quote:
    ...the Esslinger brand wound up at The Lion (Wilkes-Barre) where the ownership of the name is probably still resides. Sorta doubt it's still being marketed, tho'- altho' a few of those old Lion brands still exist.

Dearfolk,
    A guy in Copper Creek Brewing (our ten-star local brewpub) summed it up very well a few weeks ago when he said "Stegmaier is an old fart's beer." He then took a deep swig of one of Matt's good draught brews and added "And I'm a young fart, but if it's good enough for my grandpa, it's good enough for me... when I'm home, I'll drink Steg until there isn't any more Steg to drink. Grandpa's been drinking it since repeal. Besides, Yuengling doesn't NEED my money!" -- I think he's from Pittston; he's down here in grad school.
    The last time I was in Wilkes-Barre (September 2001), Steg was only sold thereabouts VERY cheaply in returnable 16-ounce bottles. It was also available on draught at a few old-time taverns.
    Nobody in W-B had heard of Gibbons, but it was always more a Scranton beer than a W-B one. And I don't think they make Bartels anymore, unless it's sold in Edwardsville and noplace else (which IS possible).
    Gee, I wonder if there's any such thing as a Stegmaier t-shirt....
    Roaming Wyomingly, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Groovy Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 23:23:35 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    How about THE ORIGINAL Ballantine India Pale Ale, when it was brewed in Newark... held in wood for NINE months (in vats that were cooped for Col. John N. Cummings' Ale Brewery in 1805!), contained a proud 67 units of bitterness, and came in green returnables?
    After P. Ballantine & Sons closed in 1972, brewing was transferred to the Narragansett facility in Cranston, R. I. The brew tasted almost exactly the same; nobody had fiddled with the formula as late as 1979, when I refound it in Washington, D. C.
    After Narragansett closed circa. 1984, brewing was transferred elsewhere and the product began its inevitable decline. It's still a pretty heady brew, but no longer is it necessary to chew it.
    Nobody anywhere is attempting a similar product, or that I have ever been able to find out about. Too bad; it remains my standard by which all I. P. A.'s are judged. Hey, if it wouldn't survive a trip across the equator and around the cape and chugging across the open ocean to India from England, it isn't India Pale Ale!
    Bittersweetly Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Well-Brewed Athens, Georgia.
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 23:39:01 (permalink)
    Interesting stuff. As I posted on another thread I guess it would be Ringnes Special. I used to get this in 70's while living in Denver. I always look for it when traveling but I think it's gone for good.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/17 23:55:22 (permalink)
    Ort, I don't know if are stating that Ballantine I.P.A. is still being brewed. The only Ballantine product I know of still being produced is the XXX ale in the green bottles and cans. It is found in nearly every beer distributor for miles around the original Newark, NJ brewery, and sold at the going rate for a 24 pack. However, the 40 ounce bottle is also found in NY Metro area delis in the "bad" part of town (average price, $2.50), right next to the Colt45 and the Bada$$ malt liquors. XXX is still a good brew if it was not subjected to temperature abuse. Pabst owns the brand; last I heard it was being contract brewed by Miller/Coors in Trenton, OH.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 01:08:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC
    Ort, I don't know if are stating that Ballantine I.P.A. is still being brewed. The only Ballantine product I know of still being produced is the XXX ale in the green bottles and cans. It is found in nearly every beer distributor for miles around the original Newark, NJ brewery, and sold at the going rate for a 24 pack. However, the 40 ounce bottle is also found in NY Metro area delis in the "bad" part of town (average price, $2.50), right next to the Colt45 and the Bada$$ malt liquors. XXX is still a good brew if it was not subjected to temperature abuse. Pabst owns the brand; last I heard it was being contract brewed by Miller/Coors in Trenton, OH.

DavidNYC,
    Thanks for the info! -- The Ohio-brewed Ballantine I. P. A. is sold in Kentucky, among other states (probably Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio). The product, last time I tried it, had no "woody" flavor (it wasn't being oak-aged) and possessed about 35 to 40 bitterness units... still quite bitter, but nowhere near as intense as was previously.
    I wonder if Pabst is still making either Pabst Old Tankard Ale or Andeker... now THOSE were a couple of good beers, folks. Andeker may still make its appearance in Milwaukee... can anyone substantiate?
    Slightly Thirstily, Ort. Carlton in Can't Buy 'Em Here Athens, Georgia.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 01:44:19 (permalink)
    http://www.epinions.com/fddk-review-5F43-114DBB21-39C65A35-prod3

Schaefer is still around,bottled by Pabst...but a mear shadow of the beer to have "when you're having more than one"...like Reingold, and Ballantine, and even Pabst...those classic brands just ain't what they used to be!!!!
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 06:13:43 (permalink)
    Some years back I belonged to one of those beer of the month clubs where they sent you 2 six packs of microbrews every month. If you liked a particular beer, you could order it from the club. I received a beer called Coho Pacific Light from a brewery in Oregon. This was not light in the sense of "lite" beer, but a golden Canadian style ale that was just delicious. I ordered more. Then it was discontinued. Why the brewery stopped making it, I don't know. I called and they said they replaced it with something similar. I tried it, and it wasn't nearly as good.
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 06:39:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    How about THE ORIGINAL Ballantine India Pale Ale, when it was brewed in Newark... held in wood for NINE months

Yeah, the original version of Ballantine India Pale Ale from P. Ballantine and Sons, Newark, NJ would be mine, as well. (And, if I can't get that, the Falstaff/Narrangansett late 1970's version will do in a pinch...).

The post-Repeal version of Ballantine IPA (the brewery was sold at the end of Prohibition) was "aged in the wood for one-year" (as was their shorter-lived "Brown Stout"). See the early ad here- http://pballantineandsons.googlepages.com/alecomesback3

quote:

(in vats that were cooped for Col. John N. Cummings' Ale Brewery in 1805!)

Wow. I have never heard that claim. Ballantine built a new ale brewery on the Passaic River ("Front St., foot of Fulton" was the long time address) a few years after taking over the Cummings' facility. That brewery was enlarged several times over the years, until it had a capacity of over 100,000 barrels. One would think the Cummings' tanks would have been quite small for such production levels.

The Ale brewery was closed a few years before Prohibition, and all brewing was done at the Lager Brewery (Ferry St. in the Ironbound) after that, and the new owners continued running that brewery after Repeal, until the doubled it's size by buying the neighboring Feiganspan brewery in the '40's.

quote:

After P. Ballantine & Sons closed in 1972, brewing was transferred to the Narragansett facility in Cranston, R. I. The brew tasted almost exactly the same; nobody had fiddled with the formula as late as 1979, when I refound it in Washington, D. C.
    After Narragansett closed circa. 1984, brewing was transferred elsewhere and the product began its inevitable decline. It's still a pretty heady brew, but no longer is it necessary to chew it.

Most accounts have Falstaff tinkering with the recipes of both XXX and IPA in the decade or so the products were at Cranston. Aging time for the IPA was dropped to "4 or 5 months", with IBU's at 45 and ABV 7.5%. Cranston closed in 1981-2, and once transferred to Fort Wayne, the IPA did continue to slid down in quality.

Ft. Wayne closed in the early '90's, and production was transferred to the Pabst Milwaukee plant (the parent company of Falstaff, the S & P Corp., had purchased Pabst in the 1980's). When Pabst Milwaukee closed (1996, IIRC), the IPA disappeared from the market. While at Milwaukee, however, Pabst *did* resurrect it's own "Old Tankard Ale" which they compared to BIPA (it certainly wasn't similar in the 1970's- when it was a typical US "blonde ale") and one supposes it WAS the same beer (or a blend).

quote:

Nobody anywhere is attempting a similar product, or that I have ever been able to find out about. Too bad; it remains my standard by which all I. P. A.'s are judged.

Certainly, today, few brewers are going to age a beer for a year (they'd rather sell it first and have the consumer cellar them) but the beers that remind me most of BIPA are Sierra-Nevada's Celebration Ale and Bigfoot Barleywine. (S-N apparently uses a yeast derived from the Ballantine strain, according to brewing urban legend). I usually do a "Half and Half" in the winter when both are available- which brings the ABV to a similar level.
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 06:52:21 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC
    Ort, I don't know if are stating that Ballantine I.P.A. is still being brewed. The only Ballantine product I know of still being produced is the XXX ale in the green bottles and cans.

-- The Ohio-brewed Ballantine I. P. A. is sold in Kentucky, among other states (probably Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio). The product, last time I tried it, had no "woody" flavor (it wasn't being oak-aged) and possessed about 35 to 40 bitterness units... still quite bitter, but nowhere near as intense as was previously.

As David notes, I, too, think you're confusing the XXX Ale with the IPA. IPA disappeared with the closing of the Pabst Milwaukee plant (as noted above). Pabst moved Ballantine XXX Ale production several times after that as it closed it's own breweries and bought most of the Stroh-Heileman brands.

As stated above, the XXX Ale is brewed by Miller (at different time in Ohio or North Carolina- which can easily be determined by the code stamped on the neck of the bottles or bottom of the cans). According to Pabst's own website (since changed, and no longer contains a distribution search feature or even LISTS Ballantine Ale as a product!), the Ale is pretty much a Northeast only product these days. (It was once a national brand, even tho' P. Ballantine & Sons was a single site brewer.)

The current Pabst CEO had mentioned "reviving" the Ballantine ales in an industry interview a little over a year ago (altho' he gets a lot of facts wrong in http://www.beverageworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&Itemid=127&id=6242). Unfortunately, they seemed to have gone with the current slow roll-out of the reborn "1960's formula" of Schlitz, instead.
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 07:11:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CLVdog

Horlachers from Allentown Pa. Back in the mid 70s they brewed a "Perfection Beer" that was out of this world at $8.00 a case.

Ah, yes, Holacher's Perfection was some very nice stuff. I only found it a few times (IIRC, it came in a plain unmarked white case, 24 loose bottles and I used to search the dusty corners of those PA distributors for it...). Supposedly a "reborn" post-Repeal version of a popular pre-Prohibition beer. I've put some of my beer research and website on "hold" (broken scanner and Google apparently switching it's website to a different style) but here's the stuff I *did* collect on Perfection.

http://jesskidden.googlepages.com/holacher%27s9montholdperfectionbeer

Certainly, being aged for 9 months at the time (mid-1970's) made it unique in the US at the time, since, as noted in my other posts above, the only other "long aged" beer of the era, Ballantine India Pale Ale, had been reduced to a 4-5 month period.
    ChefShan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 07:29:10 (permalink)
    What happened to good ol' Busch Light? I don't drink but my husband does. He drinks Busch Light. Now, please noone take this the wrong way but I always feel a little "Jerry Springerish" walking through the store with a 30pk of Busch Light.
    wmceaton
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 07:41:50 (permalink)
    Two that come to mind would be Tuborg & Falstaff Dark.

I also remember Genny 12 Horse Ale as being very good.

Whitbred is a great ale from the UK, but I dont think you can get it around the Boston area anymore...too bad i thought that was a great beer
    sftreat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 07:44:06 (permalink)
    Nattie Bo! (oh yeah)
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 07:48:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChefShan

What happened to good ol' Busch Light?

Huh? What happened to it? It was the 8th most popular beer in the US last year, with 2.7% of the market, selling over 5 and 1/2 million barrels of beer.* Sorta doubt Anheuser Busch would discontinue such a brand- maybe it's just sold out before your husband gets to the store? .

*http://www.beverageworld.com/special_reports/State-Industry-2008.pdf
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 08:01:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wmceaton

I also remember Genny 12 Horse Ale as being very good.

Genesee played around with the recipe for 12 Horse Ale a lot over the years. I used to love it when it was available only in long neck "deposit" bottles or kegs (I never saw it on the retail shelves, but since I had a NY state retail beer license, I ordered it direct from the distributor for personal use. It came in regular "Genesee Beer" shells). The ale was very similar to UK ales (albeit a bit "lighter" and less hoppy).

In the early 80's, they revamped the label, expanded distribution but changed the ale to an imitation Canadian golden ale. Very disappointing, after the excitement of finding it on the shelf in "throw-away" bottles. After Genesee bought Koch, they seemed to put more effort into the Black Horse Ale brand they acquired but, eventually, both ales were dropped. Nowadays, most of their effort is going into the many Dundee beers and ales.

quote:

Whitbred is a great ale from the UK, but I dont think you can get it around the Boston area anymore...too bad i thought that was a great beer

Whitbread Ale is now contract-brewed in Cincinnati at the Boston Beer Company's brewery there (they took over the contract, after they bought the brewery from the owners of Hudepohl-Schoenling). Don't know the distribution area of Whitbread, but the sister brand- also contracted by BBC- Mackeson Stout, (one of the world's classic sweet stouts) is pretty well distributed. The brand is owned by InBev, so one wonders if they might move the contract to an A-B brewery at some point in the future when the dust settles from the take-over.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 09:40:51 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    quote:
    ...the Esslinger brand wound up at The Lion (Wilkes-Barre) where the ownership of the name is probably still resides. Sorta doubt it's still being marketed, tho'- altho' a few of those old Lion brands still exist.

Dearfolk,
    A guy in Copper Creek Brewing (our ten-star local brewpub) summed it up very well a few weeks ago when he said "Stegmaier is an old fart's beer." He then took a deep swig of one of Matt's good draught brews and added "And I'm a young fart, but if it's good enough for my grandpa, it's good enough for me... when I'm home, I'll drink Steg until there isn't any more Steg to drink. Grandpa's been drinking it since repeal. Besides, Yuengling doesn't NEED my money!" -- I think he's from Pittston; he's down here in grad school.
    The last time I was in Wilkes-Barre (September 2001), Steg was only sold thereabouts VERY cheaply in returnable 16-ounce bottles. It was also available on draught at a few old-time taverns.
    Nobody in W-B had heard of Gibbons, but it was always more a Scranton beer than a W-B one. And I don't think they make Bartels anymore, unless it's sold in Edwardsville and noplace else (which IS possible).
    Gee, I wonder if there's any such thing as a Stegmaier t-shirt....
    Roaming Wyomingly, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Groovy Athens, Georgia.

Ort, you certainly know your Wyomingvalleyania!

The brew your friend was probably drinking was Stegmaier Gold Medal, their traditional Americal lager. But Stegmaier also produces some excellent beers: Stegmaier 150, an all-malt lager (previously formulated as Stegmaier 1857 Lager); Stegmaier Porter, a Pennsylvania style using 4 different malts; and true Oktoberfest, Bock, and Wheat beers. Additionally they brew the Pocono series of beers, and Olde Philadelphia sodas, including the original Prohibition recipe Lion Root Beer!

The Lion Brewery is a Wilkes-Barre landmark, part of the local skyline visible from the North Cross Valley Expressway. In an area where treasures can be hard to come by, The Lion is a gem.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18430
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 12:23:44 (permalink)
    The one I miss most is Hull's beer. It was brewed in my home town of New Haven, Connecticut, and it was the first beer I ever drank. I had a relative who worked there and he'd being quarts of it to my father, who'd always give me a glass when I was a little kid.

I spent one summer delivering Ballantine beer for the distributor in Hamden, Connecticut, and the driver's room had a refrigerator filled with bottled beer and ale, including both Pale Ale and a dark ale. There were two refrigerated kegs, also. One with beer and the other with ale. After a day's work we could sit around the driver's room and drink as much as we wanted. We'd also take a half case of warm beer with us up front in the trucks and occasionally swap a warm beer out with a customer for a cold one while delivering.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1978
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 15:38:10 (permalink)
    Narragansett is being made again by a new company, after being gone for years. We drank it in college because it was cheap (not cheapest, but cheap). Nastyrancet as we called it, wasn't bad. Last weekend we took my daughter back to her college which will remain nameless. A case of 'Gansett (empty) was spread around the parking lot. College kids claim to be green, but college cleaning crews dread Monday morning. 'Gansett isn't cheap today, being priced above standards like Bud, or Coors. I'm surprised that college kids are willing to spend the $$$$, and more surprised that they didn't return the bottles for deposit.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1978
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 15:39:48 (permalink)
    As for the beer I miss, it is San Miguel (Phillipines) in the painted bottles. The stuff they import is junk.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18430
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 15:40:19 (permalink)
    Do they still advertise, "Have a Gansett"?
    ChefShan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 21:08:18 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by ChefShan

What happened to good ol' Busch Light?

Huh? What happened to it? It was the 8th most popular beer in the US last year, with 2.7% of the market, selling over 5 and 1/2 million barrels of beer.* Sorta doubt Anheuser Busch would discontinue such a brand- maybe it's just sold out before your husband gets to the store? .

*http://www.beverageworld.com/special_reports/State-Industry-2008.pdf

Boy, do I feel like as a double s When I made the comment I did I thought the topic said discounted beer. Here, it says discontinued LOL, I hope you get a good laugh out of my jackassary LOL
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 22:37:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    quote:
    Dearfolk, How about THE ORIGINAL Ballantine India Pale Ale, when it was brewed in Newark... held in wood for NINE months
    quote:
    (in vats that were cooped for Col. John N. Cummings' Ale Brewery in 1805!)

Wow. I have never heard that claim. Ballantine built a new ale brewery on the Passaic River ("Front St., foot of Fulton" was the long time address) a few years after taking over the Cummings' facility. That brewery was enlarged several times over the years, until it had a capacity of over 100,000 barrels. One would think the Cummings' tanks would have been quite small for such production levels.

Jess,
    Apparently the Cummings vats were only used to make the India Pale Ale. They must have transferred them when the new plant was opened.
    I sure wish I had been alive while the Ballantine Brown Stout was on the market. Oh, well... at least I can find SweetWater Exodus Porter at several locations about town, and Copper Creek Brewing usually has either a Porter or a Stout on most of the time.
    One thing I know: I'm glad to live today instead of 1937 or so. There are more and better brews to choose from locally than there were then, although wouldn't it be fun to go back in time just long enough to sample some of those departed locals that are remembered fondly by locals... like Kaier's of Mahanoy City, PA.; Potosi from Potosi, WI.; Progress from Oklahoma City; and even relatively recent beer-disappearances like Charge! from Huntington, W. V.; Hull's Export from New Haven, CT.; and Brew 102 from Los Angeles.
    Makes me thirsty just thinking about it.
    Prositingly Prosefully, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 22:52:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CLVdog

CLVdog,
    "Perfection: The Beer The World Awaited." -- I saw an old ad hanging on a distributor's wall in Tamaqua, PA. that extolled that sales message. It must have been some SUBLIME stuff.
    Horlacher (the samples I had were from 1975 or 1976) was a mighty fine local beer. My Geology 125 lab instructor was a guy named Carl Brennan from Allentown, and he brought me some fresh samples of all their available products... regular Horlacher, Imperial Pilsner (really excellent), and Brew II "Second To None", which was on the way to being a well-crafted malt liquor style. I longed to motor up to Allentown to see the place, but -- alas -- it closed before I could manage to make it. Drat; I would have filled up Henry (my 1972 Dodge Dart) with the stuff and brought it back to Georgia!
    Somewhere, though, I have one of their 85th. Anniversary cans, and a gorgeous work of art it remains. Here's to Horlacher Brewing, the pride of Gordon Street!
    Nux Besser, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Groovy Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Yeah, I know I stole Neuweiler's slogan... hell, they were right down the street....
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your Favorite Discontinued Beer. 2008/09/18 23:03:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Two that come to mind would be Tuborg & Falstaff Dark.

wmceaton,
    How well I remember drinking both Tuborg Gold and Tuborg Dark here. They came to us from the old National Brewing plant in Phoenix (Carling had bought it) that made A-1 Beer for their home market.
    Both those brews had the pronounced "woody" taste that I have loved and failed to find lately, unless sampling from a cask of ale held on wood for a special occasion.
    Thanks for the memory.
    Suddenly Unsudsily, Ort. Carlton in The Beer Mecca That Is Athens, Georgia.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1