Hot!Your Favorite Highways and Roads

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/03 11:31:01 (permalink)
I don't like doing ANYTHING on the road in Northern VA during rush hour, especially navigating the Beltway.
The bad part is rush hour in DC is ALL THE TIME!
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/03 11:51:01 (permalink)
I-4 and I-275 interchange is a real beauty. Watch out for pickup trucks with gun racks and hotheaded commuters with a grudge. There is ALWAYS construction going on.

Anyway, here is a nice link that will describe some of the favorite highways discussed here.

http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/scenicdrives/
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/03 12:14:41 (permalink)
In the SF Bay Area, You have to include the East end of the Bay Bridge :> I-80, commuters from Sacramento on west, > Ca24 all of Contra Costa and Mt. Diablo, >I-880, everything from Modesto and Livermore, Fremont, Hayward all meet and form a roadblock at the east end of the Bay Bridge.
Since that's the tollbooth side, the backups
are always there. It's just how big and how long.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 618
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/03 12:15:30 (permalink)

Two more tricky exits:

I-40 and I-65 in Nashville: If you're heading north from 65,
you must get in the left lane fast because the next split is less
than a quarter-mile away

I-75 and I-475 in downtown Toledo: Right lane for northbound
travel is a must: the closer you get to that split, the more you
feel squeezed and there's not much you can do as far as a quick
lane change
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/03 22:34:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

In the SF Bay Area, You have to include the East end of the Bay Bridge :> I-80, commuters from Sacramento on west, > Ca24 all of Contra Costa and Mt. Diablo, >I-880, everything from Modesto and Livermore, Fremont, Hayward all meet and form a roadblock at the east end of the Bay Bridge.
Since that's the tollbooth side, the backups
are always there. It's just how big and how long.

Hey, I did this daily from 1982 through '89 (when the Cypress structure fell down, fortunately not with me on it--came home early to see the World Series game) and periodically since. Coming from the south, if you want to cross the bridge, just stay in the left lane. Otherwise, if you want to go north on 80, good luck!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4091
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/07 14:23:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

quote:

Congrats, Bill! My fave has to be HWY 1 between Morro Bay and Big Sur.. so beautiful I don't even think about food while I'm driving it... (that's the ONLY time you will hear me say something that blasphemous....hehe)

Well, Jennifer-----let me disagree a little. I love that stretch-----in fact all of Highway 1. I agree that that stretch is extra-special though. What I disagree with though------there is some great food along the highway. Several good places in Morro Bay----Roses Landing, Windows on the Water come to mind------a fantastic place in Cambria for ribs and tri-tip with huge outdoor BBQ's called the Main Street Grill. Across from Big Sur there is the Fernwood Bar/Redwood Grill----good eats and drinks when you want a break from camping. So-----you can drive and enjoy the food!

Ed,
sadly, Rose's my fave place in MB, is no more! they tore it down to build something else.. best garlic fries and best calamari anywhere!
Haven't been to windows yet.. I love Robin's in Cambria, will have to try Main Street when I'm there next..thanks for the tips!

No more Roses? Bummer! Yes, those garlic fries were definitely worth the extra buck!
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/07 14:45:56 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Congrats, Bill! My fave has to be HWY 1 between Morro Bay and Big Sur.. so beautiful I don't even think about food while I'm driving it... (that's the ONLY time you will hear me say something that blasphemous....hehe)

Well, Jennifer-----let me disagree a little. I love that stretch-----in fact all of Highway 1. I agree that that stretch is extra-special though. What I disagree with though------there is some great food along the highway. Several good places in Morro Bay----Roses Landing, Windows on the Water come to mind------a fantastic place in Cambria for ribs and tri-tip with huge outdoor BBQ's called the Main Street Grill. Across from Big Sur there is the Fernwood Bar/Redwood Grill----good eats and drinks when you want a break from camping. So-----you can drive and enjoy the food!

Ed,
sadly, Rose's my fave place in MB, is no more! they tore it down to build something else.. best garlic fries and best calamari anywhere!
Haven't been to windows yet.. I love Robin's in Cambria, will have to try Main Street when I'm there next..thanks for the tips!

No more Roses? Bummer! Yes, those garlic fries were definitely worth the extra buck!

My husband and I went to Morro for Valentine's Day, told him I was taking him for the best garlic fries he's ever had, drove down the street to find an empty lot where Rose's used to be!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7058
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/07 14:54:19 (permalink)
My favorite highway is the Dalton Highway. 414 miles on a gravel road UP to Deadhorse and the Arctic Ocean and 414 miles back DOWN. That is one heck of a trip!
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/07 16:12:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

My favorite highway is the Dalton Highway. 414 miles on a gravel road UP to Deadhorse and the Arctic Ocean and 414 miles back DOWN. That is one heck of a trip!

That is the trip that my husband wanted to make. Unfortuately, poor health became an issue for him and he was never able to do it. (he had to make due with a couple of Alaskan cruises) but I will do it sometime in his memory.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/07 23:49:00 (permalink)
quote:

Haven't done that but I did once rent a car in Valdez and drive north as far as I had time for--didn't make it to Fairbanks but saw a lot of the country in between--->awesome!

It was kind of a personal quest. I've been to the South Pole and, although I knew I couldn't actually get to the North Pole, I've tried to get as close as I could on two continents (in Alaska and in Norway).
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/08 00:01:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

That is the trip that my husband wanted to make. Unfortuately, poor health became an issue for him and he was never able to do it. (he had to make due with a couple of Alaskan cruises) but I will do it sometime in his memory.

Here's another trip you might consider: ViaRail, the Canadian passenger railroad, has a spur that runs to Churchill on Hudson's Bay which you catch in Winnepeg (after transferring from "The Canadian" coming either from Vancouver or Toronto). The big thing in Churchill, aside from seeing Hudson's Bay, is polar bears. That's where they come out on the ice and even into town. Also, to quote ViaRail:

Churchill, lying at the northern tip of Manitoba on the shore of the vast inland sea known as Hudson Bay, has an extreme northern climate. Hemmed by the Canadian Shield, a rocky region that is rich in minerals of every kind, this is Canada's Far North at its most intense (the cold and the length of winters) and at its most beautiful (icy landscapes and northern lights).

http://www.viarail.com/trains/en_trai_prai_wich.html
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/08 06:46:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

The Sundancer has to include the Cherohala Skyway. It is a new road and the Sundancer had the opportunity to be on the pole position when it opened. It is a non commercial road that crosses the mountain from Tellico, TN to Robbinsville, NC passing Joyce Kilmer Park (I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree".

I have made this drive many times and most recently with "The Mayor" and his wonderful wife "Janet". There are many pullovers with unbelieveable vistas and many balds. Perhaps "The Mayor" will post some photos of the wild azeleas.

If you are a motorcycle fan, you can drive from Robbinsville, NC to Fontana, NC where you can ride the tail of the dragon which is the most famous motorcycle drive in the USA with better than 300 curves in just a few miles. Many fresh buyers of crouch rockets which become instanteously mediocre riders have met their waterloo on this famous stretch. This can be viewed at a motorcycle graveyard at the end of the tail of the dragon.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
http://www.telliquah.com/skyway.htm

I rode the Cherohala earlier this year and found it enjoyable (now I just need to find a good place to eat around there - any suggestions?)

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a real favorite of mine - maybe I get there at just the right times, but I've always found it pleasantly traffic-free (never having gone on a nice autumn weekend).
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/08 07:17:41 (permalink)
Vince: There is a real neat BBQ place at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway in Tellico. It is right on the river and is elevated where the view of the river is great and the food is wonderful. I took the Mayor and his wife there but they were closed. It is only open on Weekends. It is pretty.

At the terminal point of the skyway in Robbinsville, The Mayor, Janet and myself had lunch at what was suppose to be a BBQ place but we got burgers and they were super. I hope "The Mayor" can recall the name.

I enjoy this thread as I truly love to explore new highways and food adventures. This ties both together. BlueMaxx would truly like this thread.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/08 07:38:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

Here's another trip you might consider: ViaRail, the Canadian passenger railroad, has a spur that runs to Churchill on Hudson's Bay which you catch in Winnepeg (after transferring from "The Canadian" coming either from Vancouver or Toronto). The big thing in Churchill, aside from seeing Hudson's Bay, is polar bears. That's where they come out on the ice and even into town. Also, to quote ViaRail:

Churchill, lying at the northern tip of Manitoba on the shore of the vast inland sea known as Hudson Bay, has an extreme northern climate. Hemmed by the Canadian Shield, a rocky region that is rich in minerals of every kind, this is Canada's Far North at its most intense (the cold and the length of winters) and at its most beautiful (icy landscapes and northern lights).

http://www.viarail.com/trains/en_trai_prai_wich.html

We did that very trip one time and it was terrific.........not much Roadfood but we had a fantastic adventure.
syrup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/08 12:15:50 (permalink)
Highway 97 from roughly Oakridge Oregon to Klamath Falls Oregon.
I never drove it but the Bus ride was incredibly senic, (Greyhound now longer does that route having timmed back rural service for more than a decade.) In terms of roadfood there are probally only two or three place to eat along the whole route.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/08 13:16:19 (permalink)
I guess my favorite would be I-88, Schenectady to Binghamton. You've got Topps diner in suburban Schenectady, the Unidilla Diner in the town of the same name and in Binghamton you've got the Spot Diner and the Red Robin Diner among others; not to mention some pretty nice secenry along the way. Of course Cooperstown with its museums isn't too far from an exit either. And the traffic isn't all that heavy. Watch out for the Oneonta PD on patrol between the three exits for that small city though!

Wally
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/19 00:23:38 (permalink)
I love roads and find them truly fascinating; where they go, the places they run, the people and shops along the way. I have too many faves to list. I'd like to write a travel book about the following roads, a partial list.
US 27. from Mich to Miami, FL
US 127 goes pretty much the same place
US 41 and 42
US 61 down through the Delta
Hwy 52, 70, run east & west
Hwy 1 and A1A up and down FL
Goes on & on

carl reitz
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/20 17:22:10 (permalink)
Travelling between SF and Anaheim (well, you all know where we're going!), I really don't mind I-5. North of the Grapevine, I enjoy looking at the valley on the one side, which reminds me of Illinois, where I grew up, and the coastal mountains on the other, reminding me of where I live now. Harris Ranch near Coalinga has good food.

Of course, California Route 1 is devastating, but let's add Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park as well as the road to Mount Evans, west of Denver. That road tops out well over 14,000 feet. You'll enjoy I-15 just south of St. George, Utah. The entire Utah length of I-40 is beautiful, and has Mom's Cafe in Salinas, which we loved this June. If only I-40 in Utah was properly maintained!

Even Illinois has some beautiful spots, including near and in Galena, but what's not to be missed is the Illinois River Road from Nauvoo, Illinois (try the Hotel Nauvoo) to opposite Keokuk IA.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/20 17:33:07 (permalink)
quote:

Least fave? 99 for sure!

When you say 99, are you refering to the Ridge Route in California? If so, I'll agree. I twice delivered babies alongside the road on 99. The second time for a woman whose mother kept whacking me on the back with an umbrella.
Burp!
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/20 22:29:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Here's another one (for those with good lungs only--current and former smokers advised against it): the Tioga Road, Highway 120, between Manteca and Lee Vining, CA. This road crosses Yosemite National Park and goes through Tioga Pass at 9945 ft. It is only open in summer--snowed under the drifts in winter. But it is beautiful and there are plenty of places to stop and picnic in alpine meadows or next to crystal alpine lakes.

Once you reach the interesection of Highway 395 at Lee Vining, there are several options. You will be at the shores of Mono lake which itself is worth the trip for its amazing mineral formations and unusual wildlife (brine shrimp and so on). My preference is to go north, toward Lake Tahoe and Carson City, NV where you can connect with Highway 50 for the return trip (or a side trip to the gambling dens in Stateline). Or, for more high country scenery (Sonora Pass, el 9624), you can make a left at Highway 108 and recross the Sierra ending up pretty much where you started.

As a former Yosemite resident I can vouch for these scenic drives. US 395 from Bishop north to Carson City is a great drive (the fall colors can really be spectacular).

Also, if one is driving in the morning in the area, there is a great breakfast place just outside the Yosemite east gate (on the left if one is driving east). Good camping & (from what I've heard) fishing.

Another great highway that's more or less in the area is Hwy 49 north to Jackson, Ca., then east on Hwy 88 until you hit Carson City. Absolutely gorgeous country, with less buses filled with tourons to deal with.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2004/09/20 22:57:03 (permalink)
Michael G
You mean I-70 in Eastern Utah rather than I-40, right?
I love the 15 in the Virgin River Gorge. AND the 70 in that empty quarter of Utah is stunning. For a short detour. Rt 6 in Colorado goes up and over Loveland Pass, going around the Eisenhower Tunnel, There are a couple of neat pull-offs at the summit to allow you to catch your breathe at 12,000 ft. In Utah US 89 near the Big Rock Candy Mountain is a great ride, especially in Spring or Fall after the tourists go home.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 12:05:21 (permalink)
Well, with so many new folks hangin' around, I thought maybe they have some new favorites to add to this list.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 13:58:57 (permalink)
One of my favorite motorcycle rides---from my Brothers in laws place in Portola Vally on the peninsula south of SanFrancisco---straight up the hills to 9 where ther is a great breakfast place whose name escapes me and who lot is FULL of bike of all kinds on the weekends--and then south on 9 in the mtns through the Bog Trees to Felton and down to Santa Cruz and lunch-seafood on the peir or what ever--then up the coast back to "the city" on rte one-up past Davenport and the elephant seals and then up to Half Moon bay and finally back to the city and though golden gate park to a friends and dinner in the city! Great day on a BSA 650!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 14:47:14 (permalink)

In going back over the posts on this thread I noted that the West and the East seem to be the areas of choice with the Middle America not receiving much attention. Allow me to add a few to my list from last year.
I agree with Carlton about TN 100 now that we have wandered it a few times. I have yet to do an end-to-end of the Natchez Trace Parkway, but we are considering that for part of the Fall Gulf Coast trip.
Door County Wisconsin and the Lighthouses along the Lakes form another scenic ride worth some time.

To go back to the original post that commented on U S Hwy 50...I have done almost ALL of U S Highway 60 from Norfolk,Virginia to Los Angeles,CA and have found it to be an amazing cross section of America. Some of the High points (no pun)...Williamsburg,VA, The beauty of Hawks Nest, West Virginia- CoalMine villages in WV and Eastern Kentucky need to be seen to understand the life of the folks in those remote areas.The Horse Farms west of Lexington,KY remind us of European estates from another era. In the same area visit the Bourbon distilleries for an interesting side-bar of a unique product. US 60 will put you within sight of the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro,KY, a Mecca to the Mayor and his Family! Further West U S 60 will take you into the Ozarks to the Branson area, and in front of the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo,TX. US 60 runs beside the TransCon line of the old Santa Fe RR, now the BNSF so driving it will have you honking the horn and waving to the train crews like you did when you were a kid (or at least I did!!) If you haven't driven 60 in N Mexico and AZ, do it in the Fall or Winter and enjoy the solitude that only US 50 in Nevada can match.

Up in New England I have to add Rt 2 in Western Mass. The old Mohawk Trail still holds some of the great fall beauty that made it famous a generation ago.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 15:23:09 (permalink)
The Great River Road has always been one of my favorites. Also, anyone of a number of county roads going through northern Wisconsin. Several in the Shennadoah Valley come to mind, don't remember the #'s.

After most days in Chicago driving, my favorite piece of road is my driveway.
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 16:11:13 (permalink)
Route 1, North out of Portland, Maine.

Route 66 in New Mexico.

Highway 40 in Maryland.

Any Highway in the Shenandoah Valley.

Highway 30 (Lincoln Highway) in Pennsylvania.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 18:38:01 (permalink)
While these may not be highways 2 of my more favorite stretches would be Lake Shore Drive in Chicago & Riverside Drive in Memphis.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/25 18:48:26 (permalink)
Some of my favorites:

1) Pacific Coast Highway from Point Reyes all the way up to Leggett, where the road ends at the Standish-Hickey State Park. This one really can’t be topped. Going on US 101 up to Arcata and the Avenue of the Giants through Redwood State Park earns honorable mention. Then spend the night in Ferndale, my absolute favorite small town on the planet.
2) Nebraska Route 2, through the Sandhills, the North Central-Northwest section of the state.
3) Here in New Mexico, Route 15 from Silver City, north to the Gila Cliff Dwellings.
4) The Blue Grass Parkway, between Lexington and Elizabethtown Kentucky.
5) National Forest Route 50, from St Maries to Avery Idaho, is incredible. It parallels the St Joe River. Montana Route 471, from Thompson Falls, to the Idaho State Line, is in close proximity, another breathtaking road.
6) Route 1, east of Ellsworth Maine, to Machias, West Quoddy Head, and Calais.
7) Route 542 in Washington State, from Bellingham as it ascends to Mount Baker.
8) The Hana Highway in Maui Hawaii.
9) Vermont Route 100, north of Shelburne.
10) New Jersey, Stokes State Forest, from the PA-NJ bridge in Milford PA down to the Delaware Water Gap, through Stokes State Forest.

Best Interstates:

1) I- 90, east of Spokane, through Coeur D’Alene, then to Missoula Montana, is awesome. It transitions from temporal humid into arid as you traverse the Montana-Idaho border.
2) I- 93, though Franconia Notch New Hampshire.
3) I-70 through the Colorado Rockies, particularly around the Eisenhower Tunnel.
4) I-89 from White River Junction VT up to Stowe.
5) I-8, in California, as you climb through the Sierras, from the Imperial Valley, to San Diego, is awesome, with the rock formations on the lee side of the mountains.

Worst Highways (mostly interstates)

1) US 1 in New Jersey, from Jersey City to Trenton, is the worst highway in the history of the United States. The pits. Nothing can really top this road for ugliness, and traffic.
2) The New Jersey Turnpike, which parallels US 1, would have to garner honorable mention.
3) The Garden State Parkway in New Jersey, from the Bergen tolls south to the Asbury Park tolls. Horrible.
4) I-95, from the NYC line, up into New Haven, and points just east, is a perpetual traffic jam with ongoing construction.
5) The Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago
6) I-5 from San Diego up to Oceanside.
7) I-4 from Daytona to Tampa Florida.
8) The Scuyhkill Expressway in Philadelphia.
9) I-84 from Danbury to Hartford Connecticut.
10) Route 4, 17, in Bergen County New Jersey, and Route 18 in New Brunswick New Jersey.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 00:29:29 (permalink)
My favorite interstate is I-84 from The Dalles, Oregon to Troutdale, Oregon. You cut through the Cascade Mountains, you are almost always in sight of mountains and river, you go past tall waterfalls, a native American burial ground and windsurfers.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 04:54:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

5) I-8, in California, as you climb through the Sierras, from the Imperial Valley, to San Diego, is awesome, with the rock formations on the lee side of the mountains.

Those are NOT the Sierras.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1