Hot!Your Favorite Highways and Roads

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 04:56:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

My favorite interstate is I-84 from The Dalles, Oregon to Troutdale, Oregon. You cut through the Cascade Mountains, you are almost always in sight of mountains and river, you go past tall waterfalls, a native American burial ground and windsurfers.
Don't forget passing Stonehenge.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 10:13:26 (permalink)
I just showed a friend this road on the way back from Redding a couple of weeks ago.
California route 263 goes from Yreka north to Ca. 96, the Klamath River Highway. It follows the Shasta River & Yreka Creek through it's canyons, complete with WPA bridges and rockwork for about 10 miles before ending at the junction of I-5 and the start of 96. I-5 now goes up and over the Mountain as you head north out of Yreka, but this original portion of US99 didn't get destroyed in the process, as it winds around and through, rather than over the mountain. It comes up right behind the Klamath River rest stop, northernmost one on I 5 in Ca.
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway96.htm
96 is wonderful too, but you end up even more in the middle of nowhere, so you have to take a journey on it, not just a trip.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 12:24:51 (permalink)
Great pictures on that website, Bill. All we get here is an eye full of corn.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 12:31:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

I just showed a friend this road on the way back from Redding a couple of weeks ago.Ca. route 263 goes from Yreka north to Ca. 96, the Klamath River Highway. It follows the Shasta River through it's canyons, complete with WPA bridges and rockwork for abput 10 miles before ending at the junction of I-5 and the start of 96. I-5 now goes up and over the Mountain as you head north out of Yreka, but this original portion of US99 didn't get destroyed in the process, as it winds around and through, rather than over the mountain. It comes up right behind the Klamath River Reststop, northernmost one on I 5.
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway96.htm
96 is wonderful too, but you end up even more in the middle of nowhere, so you have to take a journey on it, not just a trip.

Interesting, I was going to include Mattole Road, the Lost Coast Highway, on my list, and it was embedded in this website. That is an incredibly, albiet obscure road, that I would recommend to anyone with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It's not completely unimproved, but very rough. But very much worth it as well.

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/MattoleRd.htm
keef richards
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 20:59:19 (permalink)
my best is the road to hana maui hawaii. i think this qualifies because there is a route #. this has to be thee worst highway for driving(winding roads on a 1 lane highway for about 25 miles) yet it is the most scenic drive you can take. plus a place that i think may qualify for roadfood momma's fish house. they list the specials as the fish, the fisherman who caught and where it was caught that morning. it looks like a tiki bar and it is right on the water very casual but has a touch of class.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/26 21:24:59 (permalink)
A very up-and-coming nightmare is Rt 17 in New York,which is known (facetiously these days)as 'The Quickway'. Imagine a 'expressway' that was built piecemeil fashion throughout the 50's and 60's...definitely NOT to Interstate standards: some fairly tight curves for an expressway, odd rises and hills, lots of closely spaced exits with VERY short on/off ramps/speed up lanes..PLUS traffic that must be at 150% capacity at times....Orange County NY is one of the fastest growing counties in the northeast...just ask Benzee, Seafarer John, or any of a number of the locals that are here....
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/28 07:19:12 (permalink)
Three favorite roads, off the top of my head ...
Beartooth Hwy. (212) between Red Lodge and Cooke City Montana
Sewrd Highway, Alaska
Hwy 12,Bryce Canyon National Park to Capitol Reef National park, Utah
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/28 18:58:06 (permalink)
We love the Peak to Peak Highway in Colorado. The drive from Estes Park to Nederlands is amazing. The Old Taos Highway is a favorite. Just this summer we drove Highway 61 along the Mississippi River ( Thanks, Wandering Jew) from St. Paul to Interstate 90. It was so beautiful. It has been added to our favorites list. And Highway 94 in Missouri along the Katy Trail is wonderful. Lots of wineries and little towns.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/28 19:15:14 (permalink)
This is a neat thread and it makes me realize how many roads in the USA that I have missed. I have drive extensively in all 50 states and there are so many roads yet to go. I want to do them all before I pass on.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
queenb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2005/08/29 04:00:43 (permalink)
I almost forgot the historic road the runs through the Columbia Gorge on the Oregon side!Old Highway 30, I think.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 10:54:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by queenb

I almost forgot the historic road the runs through the Columbia Gorge on the Oregon side!Old Highway 30, I think.

I just had the pleasure of driving this road a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and it makes my best scenic drives list, hands down.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 12:05:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
Originally posted by queenb

I just had the pleasure of driving this road a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and it makes my best scenic drives list, hands down.

I drove the interstate from Portland to Spokane. I stayed in the gorge well past the Dallas. Great drive. I will drive it again next week.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 496
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 12:17:18 (permalink)
Hi I am with ChezKatie. Any highway that runs along the coast! I am always at my happiest
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 16:36:12 (permalink)
My favorite highways in the USA center around historic routes discovered by and made famous by our predecessors, beginning with the Lewis and Clark Expedition at the beginning of the 1800's. That century is my favorite, do believe I came along a bit late for the action and my calling. I've motorcycled and explored many of the courageous explorations and developments opening the western frontier. In addition to the Lewis and Clark successful venture, I've done and studied the Santa Fe Trail, the Pony Express Trail, Chisholm Trail, followed the adventures recorded by the Mountain Men in the Rockies admiring their grit and determination in the fur trading business. I've attended a couple of their "Rendevous's". I always felt welcome even though I wore black leather and rode an IRON horse.
The construction of the transcontinental railroad, its route, is close to the tops of my favorite routes to have ridden and studied. There's been many more. Oh, The Natchez Trace is another historic run.I've ridden the "Trail of Tears" as well as the relocation of our Navajo brothers.

Bottom line, I've had a great ride exploring our Country, our struggles, heartaches as well as our many successes.
Ole Rouxdog
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7280
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 17:19:00 (permalink)
The Alcan! All the way from Anchorage, through Alaska, through all of Canada and down to Montana......on the way to California. On the way back....the Alaska Marine Highway System. Otherwise known as the ferry! Awesome and we didn't have to drive! We got on at Prince Rupert, Canada. Trip took 4 days, with a stop in Ketchikan (nothing there), Juneau (cool town) and Yakutat (didn't even get off the boat).

Hey, Rouxdog, I even visited Ft. Clatsop while in Oregon (not far from Astoria) which was the end of the line for Lewis and Clark. Apparently they spent the winter there. Very interesting area.

Another good ride is Going to the Sun Highway through Glacier National Park.

The trip from Anchorage to Valdez is also very beautiful, with the Montgomery Glacier coming right down to the road, Bridal Veil Falls and the spectacular Thompson Pass.

I think I've chiseled it down to about 5 states I've not driven through.
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 18:14:10 (permalink)
Yep, Ileechef, the expedition did bed down for the winter at their thrown together Ft. Clatsop or was it named Ft. Clapsot. Please forgive me, but the truth is the truth. Remarkable expedidition, only lost (died) one the entire trip, that occurred somewhat early on the trip, along the Mo. River in Nebraska as I recall. He has been since presumed dead due to appendicitus.
I still want to do the ALCAN! If I'm fortunate to do so, it'll be in my pickup, not a top a two wheeler.
Ole Rouxdog
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 21:07:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

Yep, Ileechef, the expedition did bed down for the winter at their thrown together Ft. Clatsop or was it named Ft. Clapsot. Please forgive me, but the truth is the truth. Remarkable expedidition, only lost (died) one the entire trip, that occurred somewhat early on the trip, along the Mo. River in Nebraska as I recall. He has been since presumed dead due to appendicitus.
I still want to do the ALCAN! If I'm fortunate to do so, it'll be in my pickup, not a top a two wheeler.
Ole Rouxdog

his namesake
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/04 22:24:30 (permalink)
Last month we drove US 50 from Fairfax, VA to Chilicothe, OH. Quite a rugged trip through the eastern part of West Virginia. Where did we stop. A Dairy Queen of all places.
Mack184
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/05 07:38:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

A very up-and-coming nightmare is Rt 17 in New York,which is known (facetiously these days)as 'The Quickway'. Imagine a 'expressway' that was built piecemeil fashion throughout the 50's and 60's...definitely NOT to Interstate standards: some fairly tight curves for an expressway, odd rises and hills, lots of closely spaced exits with VERY short on/off ramps/speed up lanes..PLUS traffic that must be at 150% capacity at times....Orange County NY is one of the fastest growing counties in the northeast...just ask Benzee, Seafarer John, or any of a number of the locals that are here....

Route 17 is only known as the "Quickway" from Sullivan County and south. Go north and west of that thru the Southern Tier and no one will know what you are talking about. The other oddity that you forgot to mention is that in several different places on 17 there are actual stop lights. Always an interesting surprise.
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/05 08:24:43 (permalink)
Very thoughtful and interesting thread. So many great places to look forward to. Thanks, everyone.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/05 09:35:51 (permalink)
Between Louisville and Cincinnati (outskirts) US 42 follows the Ohio River bank most of the way. Towns like Carrollton and 'Rabbit Hash' give a peek at life on the river from generations ago.
More to come
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/05 10:14:54 (permalink)
One road that I particularly enjoyed for its beauty is WA-155, both north and south of Grand Coulee Dam in Washington State.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/05 18:07:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTHere's another trip you might consider: ViaRail, the Canadian passenger railroad, has a spur that runs to Churchill on Hudson's Bay which you catch in Winnepeg (after transferring from "The Canadian" coming either from Vancouver or Toronto). The big thing in Churchill, aside from seeing Hudson's Bay, is polar bears. That's where they come out on the ice and even into town. Also, to quote ViaRail:

Churchill, lying at the northern tip of Manitoba on the shore of the vast inland sea known as Hudson Bay, has an extreme northern climate. Hemmed by the Canadian Shield, a rocky region that is rich in minerals of every kind, this is Canada's Far North at its most intense (the cold and the length of winters) and at its most beautiful (icy landscapes and northern lights).

http://www.viarail.com/trains/en_trai_prai_wich.html
I took a trip to Sacramento (from Milwaukee, WI via Chicago, and I didn't know about Lou Mitchell's at the time) on Amtrak ten years ago and I only have two words about rail travel: NEVER AGAIN!!! Not being able to leave the train, so any pictures I took had that damn window glare on them was enough. I missed out on some killer photos and leg stretches because, even though the train stopped for an hour once, I couldn't get off for five minutes. On top of that, I missed my entire first day back to work off my vacation because the train got stuck behind a disabled freighter and I couldn't call my boss to tell him about it, so I got into a TON of trouble when I did get back to work.

Bring the Metra to Milwaukee!!!!

My least favorite is a no brainer, the Illinois Tollway. My most favorite is 41 from Indiana through Wisconsin (that's Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, folks), but that's due to change because they're talking about widening it through Kenosha County, WI, and taking out the Brat Stop, Mars Cheese Castle, and some other fun stops along the way. What will be saved is Vuk's House of Harley. I wonder why?

A nod for WI state highway 32, up the coast of Lake Michigan, going to some good motels in Kenosha County and some killer roadfood jernts, too. If it didn't go through so much industrial land, it'd be the vote getter.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 10:08:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mack184

quote:

Route 17 is only known as the "Quickway" from Sullivan County and south. Go north and west of that thru the Southern Tier and no one will know what you are talking about. The other oddity that you forgot to mention is that in several different places on 17 there are actual stop lights. Always an interesting surprise.

There is only one traffic light left on 17 : the ubiquitous 'Exit 98' at Parksville. which finally looks like they have a plan to replace...
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 10:55:13 (permalink)
quote:

There is only one traffic light left on 17 : the ubiquitous 'Exit 98' at Parksville. which finally looks like they have a plan to replace...

Is that right? I remember about 3 years ago driving up to Batavia NY via Northern NJ, taking the 'Southern Tier Expressway' or Rt 17, through Elmira, and there were 2 traffic signals. I guess that stretch may bypass Elmira now?
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 15:22:46 (permalink)
U.S. 231, It currently runs for 912 miles from St. John, Indiana to the Gulf of Mexico in downtown Panama City, Florida.

or

U.S. 31 used to reach from Mackinaw City, MI (Mackinac Bridge) to the Gulf of Mexico in Mobile, AL

Both of these routes are a great drive, you get to see some of the real rural areas of MI, IN, KY, TN, AL, FL.

I have driven portions of 231 North to South, but never the entire route at once.

I have driven portions of 31 North to South, but never the entire route at once.

I have found some great places to eat along these routes in about every state it runs through.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 15:31:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Between Louisville and Cincinnati (outskirts) US 42 follows the Ohio River bank most of the way. Towns like Carrollton and 'Rabbit Hash' give a peek at life on the river from generations ago.
More to come

Ahhhh Rabbit Hash, a town where you can call the mayor a "DOG" and get away with it. (Rabbit Hash's elected mayor is a dog.) They even have a pet Pot Bellied Pig that roams the town.
[url='http://www.rabbithashusa.com/']Rabbit Hash[/url]

[url='http://www.rabbithash.com/']Rabbit Hash General Store[/url]

Mack184
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 15:53:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:

Is that right? I remember about 3 years ago driving up to Batavia NY via Northern NJ, taking the 'Southern Tier Expressway' or Rt 17, through Elmira, and there were 2 traffic signals. I guess that stretch may bypass Elmira now?

As far as I know the Elmira/Horseheads lights are still there.
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 16:03:54 (permalink)
In the Tehachapi mountains north of Los Angeles is the Caliente-Bodfish Road, which runs for about 35 miles from Lake Isabella through some absolutely lovely rural areas down to highway 58, west of the town of Tehachapi. During May the hills in the area turn purple with a wildflower they call "farewell to spring", but which is also known as speckled Clarkia. There isn't a pretty drive in California (during the right season).
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Your Favorite Highways and Roads 2007/06/06 16:40:05 (permalink)
One of the reasons we love the Louisville area is that "Rush Hour" is just that. The freeways into the city seem to be crowded and 'bumper to bumper' for an hour and a half so in the morning (7:00 to 8:30am-roughly))and from 4pm to 5:30pm in the evening for the 'going home' crowd. Most other times we can get to the airport, which is halfway across the city in 30 minutes from home...and I am 4 miles from the I-64 freeway interchange.

I did have to crawl along a road from the town out towards our home today at about 10 miles an hour...following a large John Deere Tractor with a mowing machine attached. He had no place to pull over, so I just putt-putted behind him for a couple of miles.

Now looking at the SoCal Freeways. When I visited my Mother in Laguna Hills (near the 5 and 405 interchange in SoCal) I would have to leave before 3 pm if I took my truck, or I could count on a 2-3 hour ride (90 miles) on the 5, 91 and 15 to get home. I usually rode my motorcycle on those day-trips so that by lane-splitting (legal in CA) I could work my way thru the stalled traffic on all three of those freeways and make it home is less than an hour and a half.

CATO...
On my Motorcycle I came over the top of a grade just east of that Caliente intersection with Hiway 58 one summer evening, to find that one of the thousands of double dump truck load of tomatoes that are hauled every year from the Imperial Valley to the Processing Plants near Modesto (dare I say, Ketchup Making??), had overturned on the road and spread a layer of tomatoes all over the road for a quarter mile or so. I slowed down in time, but the spattered tomaoes not only got all over me and my bike, but they burned on the pipes and were harder than hell to clean off when I got to my destination and had time to try to clean it up. PLUS the roadway was slicker than Goose-'Stuff' . I was lucky and stayed upright, but I will never forget that experience!

Back to the Beautiful rides-

Try U S 95 from Payette ID to New Meadows, and ID 55 from Boise to New Meadows, then U S 95 north thru Riggens to Grangeville to Lewiston, ID. Absolutely unbelieveable rides thru the mountains and beside white-water streams for mile after mile.

Then go east on US 12 over LoLo Pass to Missoula MT and return south on US 93 and ID 28 to Idaho Falls.

For a different sort of 'Moonscape' Take US 20 from Idaho Falls to Boise and stop along the way at the Craters of the Moon. I sure am glad Lewis and Clark didn't see that area on their trip west. I would bet they would have turned around and headed home. What a major difference from the mountains and rivers of the nearby Bitteroots.

Another Gem. US 550 from Montrose to Durango Colorado. Called the Million Dollar Highway, which in today's economy doesn't mean much, but this is a "spectacular" ride. Don't forget to try the " Serious Texas BBQ on the northern edge of Durango. Downright good BBQ to finish up a great scenic ride.

More to follow!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1