Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 1:41 PM (permalink)
Now, now, seafarer john, considering that you have been labeled a "thread killer" don't you think it impolitic of you to be keeping the newly-named thread alive?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 1:45 PM (permalink)
    The word cocktails comes to mind.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
      RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 1:47 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The word cocktails comes to mind.

Ok how is that I changed it again....Russ

seafarer john

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 1:47 PM (permalink)
        Just part of my contrarian nature - some of which i learned from Hoffman.

And, Russ, you've got it just about right - too bad you didn't think of that way back when...

Cheers, John

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
          RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 1:52 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Russ Jackson

What should I name this thread. Drinks that are not Martinis in Martini glasses that you like from establishments or at home that are called Martinis but not really Martinis?
          ...Russ
          They are called, appropriately enough, Cocktails.
          The Martini is just that even though it is deemed a cocktail.

David O.

seafarer john

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 1:57 PM (permalink)
            Michael, I guess it's just part of my contrarian nature to enjoy baiting the bear in his den.

Russ, you've got it just about right- too bad you didn't think of that way back when. And Russ, I hope nothing I said interferes with your enjoyment of your favorite drink. "Drink what you like, and like what you drink" is my motto.

Cheers, John

seafarer john

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:02 PM (permalink)
              Sorry about the duplication, sometimes this imac throws me a curve - i thought the first one had failed to post...

Cheers, John

Russ Jackson

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:02 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by seafarer john

Michael, I guess it's just part of my contrarian nature to enjoy baiting the bear in his den.

Russ, you've got it just about right- too bad you didn't think of that way back when. And Russ, I hope nothing I said interferes with your enjoyment of your favorite drink. "Drink what you like, and like what you drink" is my motto.

Cheers, John

It was all in good fun and enjoy the Humor. Michael is always informative and enjoyable. I personally agree with him on this one. All my comments were tounge in cheek. I was chuckling the whole time...Russ

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                  RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:11 PM (permalink)
                  the only inspiration I ever got out of a Martini was the desire to obtain sobriety.........!
                  many years ago the Martini was my choice of "weapon of mass destruction" and my favorite way of eating juniper berries

Russ Jackson

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:14 PM (permalink)
                    Michael try this Martini Inspired Drink
                    Blueberry Martini Jelly Shots

Ingredients

10 1/2 ounces Stoli (Stolichnaya) Blueberry vodka

2 ounces simple syrup

14 sheets of gelatin

About 35 fresh blueberries

Directions

Off heat, combine vodka and simple syrup in a small saucepan.

Add the gelatin sheets one at a time to vodka mixture, breaking up sheets if necessary so that they can be completely submerged.

Allow gelatin to sit in vodka mixture until it is soft and pliable, 5-10 minutes.

When gelatin is soft, heat saucepan over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved and incorporated into vodka mixture, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Check contents of pan; if there are any flecks of gelatin that have not dissolved, strain the mixture to remove any solid particles. Place a blueberry in the bottom of each individual cocktail mold, and carefully pour vodka mixture into each mold. Refrigerate molds until set, preferably overnight. These cocktails will keep, refrigerated, for as long as two days.

......Russ

RedJim64

• Total Posts: 128
                      RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:21 PM (permalink)
                      Dry Gin Martini - up;
                      Stirred, not shaken.
                      NO FRUIT!

MiamiDon

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:26 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Davydd

quote:

quote:

A Martini is made with gin, a bit of vermouth and an olive, although a twist of lemon peel is allowed instead of an olive. Anything else is something else.

The thread killers have shown up and voiced their opinions as to violating the Prized Martini. Today the Martini has errupted into a phenomenon unto itself with bars dedicated to its many variations. Gin and Vodka have changed to accomidate the new awarness of this great drink. I changed the name of the thread to appease the purists. Personally I dont think the new variations disrespect the great drink but honor it. The Cosmopoliton, The Gibson, The Dirty Martini,The Saketini, Etc all pay tribute to the original and in may ways brought a great drink to a new generation....Russ

Good. Now you can discuss drink variations. Calling all the different concoctions Martinis to me is the same as globbing on extra garbage plate ingredients on a classic Margherita pizza or putting fruit in beers. To me that is no appreciation of the basic classic, original taste. I'm not against variations but when you change something or create something new, call it something else lest you destroy the appreciation of the original.

It's worse than that. It is as if one put a blueberry covered pastry in a pizza box and declared it to be a pizza because the container is a pizza box.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                          RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:42 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

Ingredients

2 ounces simple syrup

14 sheets of gelatin

Directions

Add the gelatin sheets one at a time to vodka mixture, breaking up sheets if necessary so that they can be completely submerged.

Allow gelatin to sit in vodka mixture until it is soft and pliable, 5-10 minutes.

When gelatin is soft, heat saucepan over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved and incorporated into vodka mixture, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Check contents of pan; if there are any flecks of gelatin that have not dissolved, strain the mixture to remove any solid particles. Place a blueberry in the bottom of each individual cocktail mold, and carefully pour vodka mixture into each mold. Refrigerate molds until set, preferably overnight. These cocktails will keep, refrigerated, for as long as two days.

......Russ

My birthday is coming & blueberries are my favorite. Where do I find gelatin sheets? Cocktail molds? Are these just like normal jello shots? Squeeze, suck & swallow?

Russ Jackson

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 2:48 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by stricken_detective

quote:

Ingredients

2 ounces simple syrup

14 sheets of gelatin

Directions

......Russ

My birthday is coming & blueberries are my favorite. Where do I find gelatin sheets? Cocktail molds? Are these just like normal jello shots? Squeeze, suck & swallow?

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_7197238

...Russ

bigbear

• Total Posts: 59
                              RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 3:10 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

quote:
                              Originally posted by kozel

Gibson, but you can't find good cocktail onions any more in a salt brine rather than vinegar.

Try Aunt Nellies whole Holland Style Onions.
                              http://consumer.senecafoods.com/product/prodoverview.cfm

I have a jar of them in my hand right now.
                              Onions,Water,Sugar,Salt,and Citric Acid
                              ...Russ

I might be wrong (frequently am), but these "holland style" onions are not meant to be put in cocktails. They're better suited for a chicken pot pie.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks, Russ, but I'll pass on a blueberry whatever.

seafarer john

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                  You don't need gelatin sheets or fancy molds. Just use unflavored powdered Gelatin and pour it into an ice cube tray- or, if like us, you threw out all the ice cube trays when you bought a new refrigerator a few years ago, buy some of those little one or two once paper cups. An egg carton lined with saran also works, I'm told. I got the recipe I use for Jelloshots right off these Roadfood forums a couple of years ago.

Cheers, John

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
                                    RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                    This gin, http://plymouthgin.com/
                                    A breath of great vermouth.
                                    One onion.

Russ Jackson

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

Thanks, Russ, but I'll pass on a blueberry whatever.

I will also Michael.
                                      ...Russ

Russ Jackson

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                        I just made 2 Martini Inspired Drinks

7 oz Bombay Saphire
                                        8 peppercorns crushed with mortar and pestal
                                        1 Pinch dried crushed Jalapeno flakes from Penzey's
                                        I let it sit for 1 1/2 hours
                                        Then ran it thru a coffee filter

Then into the shaker with a small splash Vermouth
                                        Good bite good pepper taste good drink...Russ

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                                          RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                          My favorite Martini-inspired drink is: a second Martini. Sometimes I'm inspired to have 2 or 3 more.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                            RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                            my local upscale mexican place makes something they call a CosmoRita... gold tequila, cranberry juice, Sprite, and a floater of Chambord in a glass with a pink sugared rim... a real girl drink but I love it!

MiamiDon

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by stricken_detective

Squeeze, suck & swallow?

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                                RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Jennifer_4

... a real girl drink but I love it!

Jennifer your not a real girl???

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                                                  RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by jman

quote:

quote:

A Martini is made with gin, a bit of vermouth and an olive, although a twist of lemon peel is allowed instead of an olive. Anything else is something else.
                                                  Michael said it before I could - bless him...

Cheres, John

All things evolve just like the Martini.
                                                  Hey guys there are entire bars out there serving drinks called Martinis in hundreds of different forms.
                                                  Put the mouse down mix one or two up relax and have a good time.
                                                  ....Russ

That's like asking for a 7&7 and then telling the bartender to make it with rum and coke.

Similiar to the mixed drink---Perrier & Water!

swirsk53

RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                                    If at home, a big glass with lots of ice, lots of Grey Goose and take a whole fresh lime and squeeze til nothing else comes out of the limes. Drink it.

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                                                      • Location: Northern California
                                                      RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                                      So Swirsk - your variation on a Martini is something that is absolutely nothing like a Martini as far as the ingredients and preperation. I guess the "drink it" part is the connection.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                                        RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 10:12 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by sizz

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Jennifer_4

... a real girl drink but I love it!

Jennifer your not a real girl???

Indeed I am! (Just ask Ed Sails and MikeS).. I just meant that sometimes "girl drinks" are not seen as "real" cocktails because they are overly sweet and fruity... my sentence should have perhaps read "not a "respectable, traditional" cocktail, but I still love it!"

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                          • Location: Athens, GA
                                                          RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 10:47 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Suggesting otherwise is the same as saying that a beer is a roasted pepper after it evolves.

Michael,
                                                          But I did know someone who homebrewed a beer using Grape-Nuts(R) (well, the Kroger clone) as an adjunct. It tasted pretty good, too. I didn't try it with red peppers, though.
                                                          Buffeted (But Not By Blustery Winds), Ort. Carlton in That Limitless Human Cafeteria Line That Is Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                            • Location: Athens, GA
                                                            RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink Sun, 04/6/08 10:52 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            quote:
                                                            The Saketini

Dearfolk,
                                                            Oh, for heaven's sake!
                                                            Hokkaidon't have to drink one.
                                                            Nagasaki-To-Me, Ort. Carlton in Sapphoro-My-Strength Athens, Georgia.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com