Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18954
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 13:41:24 (permalink)
Now, now, seafarer john, considering that you have been labeled a "thread killer" don't you think it impolitic of you to be keeping the newly-named thread alive?
#31
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18954
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 13:45:01 (permalink)
The word cocktails comes to mind.
#32
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 13:47:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The word cocktails comes to mind.


Ok how is that I changed it again....Russ
#33
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 13:47:24 (permalink)
Just part of my contrarian nature - some of which i learned from Hoffman.

And, Russ, you've got it just about right - too bad you didn't think of that way back when...

Cheers, John
#34
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
  • Joined: 2005/08/28 21:21:00
  • Location: Surprise, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 13:52:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

What should I name this thread. Drinks that are not Martinis in Martini glasses that you like from establishments or at home that are called Martinis but not really Martinis?
...Russ
They are called, appropriately enough, Cocktails.
The Martini is just that even though it is deemed a cocktail.

David O.
#35
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 13:57:03 (permalink)
Michael, I guess it's just part of my contrarian nature to enjoy baiting the bear in his den.

Russ, you've got it just about right- too bad you didn't think of that way back when. And Russ, I hope nothing I said interferes with your enjoyment of your favorite drink. "Drink what you like, and like what you drink" is my motto.

Cheers, John
#36
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:02:18 (permalink)
Sorry about the duplication, sometimes this imac throws me a curve - i thought the first one had failed to post...

Cheers, John
#37
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:02:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Michael, I guess it's just part of my contrarian nature to enjoy baiting the bear in his den.

Russ, you've got it just about right- too bad you didn't think of that way back when. And Russ, I hope nothing I said interferes with your enjoyment of your favorite drink. "Drink what you like, and like what you drink" is my motto.

Cheers, John


It was all in good fun and enjoy the Humor. Michael is always informative and enjoyable. I personally agree with him on this one. All my comments were tounge in cheek. I was chuckling the whole time...Russ
#38
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1688
  • Joined: 2004/02/12 00:12:00
  • Location: San Jose, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:11:56 (permalink)
the only inspiration I ever got out of a Martini was the desire to obtain sobriety.........!
many years ago the Martini was my choice of "weapon of mass destruction" and my favorite way of eating juniper berries
#39
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:14:07 (permalink)
Michael try this Martini Inspired Drink
Blueberry Martini Jelly Shots


Ingredients

10 1/2 ounces Stoli (Stolichnaya) Blueberry vodka

2 ounces simple syrup

14 sheets of gelatin

About 35 fresh blueberries

Directions

Off heat, combine vodka and simple syrup in a small saucepan.

Add the gelatin sheets one at a time to vodka mixture, breaking up sheets if necessary so that they can be completely submerged.

Allow gelatin to sit in vodka mixture until it is soft and pliable, 5-10 minutes.

When gelatin is soft, heat saucepan over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved and incorporated into vodka mixture, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Check contents of pan; if there are any flecks of gelatin that have not dissolved, strain the mixture to remove any solid particles. Place a blueberry in the bottom of each individual cocktail mold, and carefully pour vodka mixture into each mold. Refrigerate molds until set, preferably overnight. These cocktails will keep, refrigerated, for as long as two days.


......Russ
#40
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Joined: 2005/08/27 15:22:00
  • Location: Detroit, MI
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:21:49 (permalink)
Dry Gin Martini - up;
Stirred, not shaken.
NO FRUIT!
#41
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
  • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
  • Location: Miami, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:26:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

A Martini is made with gin, a bit of vermouth and an olive, although a twist of lemon peel is allowed instead of an olive. Anything else is something else.


The thread killers have shown up and voiced their opinions as to violating the Prized Martini. Today the Martini has errupted into a phenomenon unto itself with bars dedicated to its many variations. Gin and Vodka have changed to accomidate the new awarness of this great drink. I changed the name of the thread to appease the purists. Personally I dont think the new variations disrespect the great drink but honor it. The Cosmopoliton, The Gibson, The Dirty Martini,The Saketini, Etc all pay tribute to the original and in may ways brought a great drink to a new generation....Russ

Good. Now you can discuss drink variations. Calling all the different concoctions Martinis to me is the same as globbing on extra garbage plate ingredients on a classic Margherita pizza or putting fruit in beers. To me that is no appreciation of the basic classic, original taste. I'm not against variations but when you change something or create something new, call it something else lest you destroy the appreciation of the original.


It's worse than that. It is as if one put a blueberry covered pastry in a pizza box and declared it to be a pizza because the container is a pizza box." />

#42
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
  • Joined: 2004/03/10 23:51:00
  • Location: the 262
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:42:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Michael try this Martini Inspired Drink

Blueberry Martini Jelly Shots


Ingredients

10 1/2 ounces Stoli (Stolichnaya) Blueberry vodka

2 ounces simple syrup

14 sheets of gelatin

About 35 fresh blueberries

Directions

Off heat, combine vodka and simple syrup in a small saucepan.

Add the gelatin sheets one at a time to vodka mixture, breaking up sheets if necessary so that they can be completely submerged.

Allow gelatin to sit in vodka mixture until it is soft and pliable, 5-10 minutes.

When gelatin is soft, heat saucepan over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved and incorporated into vodka mixture, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Check contents of pan; if there are any flecks of gelatin that have not dissolved, strain the mixture to remove any solid particles. Place a blueberry in the bottom of each individual cocktail mold, and carefully pour vodka mixture into each mold. Refrigerate molds until set, preferably overnight. These cocktails will keep, refrigerated, for as long as two days.


......Russ



My birthday is coming & blueberries are my favorite. Where do I find gelatin sheets? Cocktail molds? Are these just like normal jello shots? Squeeze, suck & swallow?
#43
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 14:48:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stricken_detective

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Michael try this Martini Inspired Drink

Blueberry Martini Jelly Shots


Ingredients

10 1/2 ounces Stoli (Stolichnaya) Blueberry vodka

2 ounces simple syrup

14 sheets of gelatin

About 35 fresh blueberries

Directions

Off heat, combine vodka and simple syrup in a small saucepan.

Add the gelatin sheets one at a time to vodka mixture, breaking up sheets if necessary so that they can be completely submerged.

Allow gelatin to sit in vodka mixture until it is soft and pliable, 5-10 minutes.

When gelatin is soft, heat saucepan over low heat, stirring, until gelatin is dissolved and incorporated into vodka mixture, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Check contents of pan; if there are any flecks of gelatin that have not dissolved, strain the mixture to remove any solid particles. Place a blueberry in the bottom of each individual cocktail mold, and carefully pour vodka mixture into each mold. Refrigerate molds until set, preferably overnight. These cocktails will keep, refrigerated, for as long as two days.


......Russ



My birthday is coming & blueberries are my favorite. Where do I find gelatin sheets? Cocktail molds? Are these just like normal jello shots? Squeeze, suck & swallow?


http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_7197238

...Russ
#44
bigbear
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
  • Joined: 2003/02/03 08:12:00
  • Location: The Villages, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 15:10:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Gibson, but you can't find good cocktail onions any more in a salt brine rather than vinegar.


Try Aunt Nellies whole Holland Style Onions.
http://consumer.senecafoods.com/product/prodoverview.cfm

I have a jar of them in my hand right now.
Onions,Water,Sugar,Salt,and Citric Acid
...Russ

I might be wrong (frequently am), but these "holland style" onions are not meant to be put in cocktails. They're better suited for a chicken pot pie.
#45
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18954
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: online
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 16:16:09 (permalink)
Thanks, Russ, but I'll pass on a blueberry whatever.
#46
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Joined: 2003/03/24 18:58:00
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 16:44:08 (permalink)
You don't need gelatin sheets or fancy molds. Just use unflavored powdered Gelatin and pour it into an ice cube tray- or, if like us, you threw out all the ice cube trays when you bought a new refrigerator a few years ago, buy some of those little one or two once paper cups. An egg carton lined with saran also works, I'm told. I got the recipe I use for Jelloshots right off these Roadfood forums a couple of years ago.

Cheers, John


#47
brickie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Joined: 2007/03/08 11:34:00
  • Location: sterling, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 17:05:15 (permalink)
This gin, http://plymouthgin.com/
A breath of great vermouth.
One onion.
#48
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 17:06:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Thanks, Russ, but I'll pass on a blueberry whatever.


I will also Michael.
...Russ
#49
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 18:15:04 (permalink)
I just made 2 Martini Inspired Drinks

7 oz Bombay Saphire
8 peppercorns crushed with mortar and pestal
1 Pinch dried crushed Jalapeno flakes from Penzey's
I let it sit for 1 1/2 hours
Then ran it thru a coffee filter

Then into the shaker with a small splash Vermouth
Good bite good pepper taste good drink...Russ
#50
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Joined: 2006/07/03 13:14:00
  • Location: Northern California
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 18:28:21 (permalink)
My favorite Martini-inspired drink is: a second Martini. Sometimes I'm inspired to have 2 or 3 more.
#51
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
  • Joined: 2000/09/19 04:01:00
  • Location: Fresno, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 18:28:31 (permalink)
my local upscale mexican place makes something they call a CosmoRita... gold tequila, cranberry juice, Sprite, and a floater of Chambord in a glass with a pink sugared rim... a real girl drink but I love it!
#52
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
  • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
  • Location: Miami, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 18:43:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stricken_detective


Squeeze, suck & swallow?



#53
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1688
  • Joined: 2004/02/12 00:12:00
  • Location: San Jose, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 19:04:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

... a real girl drink but I love it!

Jennifer your not a real girl???
#54
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10409
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 19:44:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jman

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

A Martini is made with gin, a bit of vermouth and an olive, although a twist of lemon peel is allowed instead of an olive. Anything else is something else.
Michael said it before I could - bless him...

Cheres, John


All things evolve just like the Martini.
Hey guys there are entire bars out there serving drinks called Martinis in hundreds of different forms.
Put the mouse down mix one or two up relax and have a good time.
....Russ







That's like asking for a 7&7 and then telling the bartender to make it with rum and coke.



Similiar to the mixed drink---Perrier & Water!
#55
swirsk53
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Joined: 2006/06/05 11:06:00
  • Location: chappaqua, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 19:57:08 (permalink)
If at home, a big glass with lots of ice, lots of Grey Goose and take a whole fresh lime and squeeze til nothing else comes out of the limes. Drink it.
#56
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
  • Joined: 2006/07/03 13:14:00
  • Location: Northern California
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 21:37:28 (permalink)
So Swirsk - your variation on a Martini is something that is absolutely nothing like a Martini as far as the ingredients and preperation. I guess the "drink it" part is the connection.
#57
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
  • Joined: 2000/09/19 04:01:00
  • Location: Fresno, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 22:12:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

... a real girl drink but I love it!

Jennifer your not a real girl???


Indeed I am! (Just ask Ed Sails and MikeS).. I just meant that sometimes "girl drinks" are not seen as "real" cocktails because they are overly sweet and fruity... my sentence should have perhaps read "not a "respectable, traditional" cocktail, but I still love it!"
#58
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
  • Location: Athens, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 22:47:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
Suggesting otherwise is the same as saying that a beer is a roasted pepper after it evolves.


Michael,
But I did know someone who homebrewed a beer using Grape-Nuts(R) (well, the Kroger clone) as an adjunct. It tasted pretty good, too. I didn't try it with red peppers, though.
Buffeted (But Not By Blustery Winds), Ort. Carlton in That Limitless Human Cafeteria Line That Is Athens, Georgia.
#59
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
  • Joined: 2003/04/09 22:48:00
  • Location: Athens, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: Your Favorite Martini Inspired Drink 2008/04/06 22:52:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
The Saketini


Dearfolk,
Oh, for heaven's sake!
Hokkaidon't have to drink one.
Nagasaki-To-Me, Ort. Carlton in Sapphoro-My-Strength Athens, Georgia.
#60
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1