Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego

Author
slackademic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2005/08/12 15:13:43 (permalink)

Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego

I have been here for almost a year now, and don't have a good sense on what the best Mexican joints are. Does anyone have recommendations? I have heard that El Zarape in Univ. Heights is good, but I haven't made it over there yet. Any info is much appreciated!

26 Replies Related Threads

Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/12 16:25:43 (permalink)
    El Sol on University Avenue at Alabama Street.
    Rex Who is No longer in very expensive San Diego.
    trudyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/17 03:17:04 (permalink)
    El Indio.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/17 12:15:33 (permalink)
    We just went to surf taco in mission bay it was good & cheep.
    we liked it alot and the folks are nice!
    hockeyinsd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/19 15:35:52 (permalink)
    I'll break them down into 2 categories:

Sit down/Table Service:
    Las Olas in Cardiff
    El Callejon in Encinitas & Vista
    Fidel's in Solana Beach & Carlsbad

Counter/Hole in the Wall/Etc.:
    Juanita's in Encinitas
    Robertos (locations in Encinitas, Solana Beach, etc)
    Mexico Viejo in Encinitas
    Filibertos in Encinitas (but for some reason is waaay better at 2AM than normal times)
    Las Cuatro Milpas in Barrio Logan
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/19 20:55:27 (permalink)
    I like Olinda's on San Diego Ave, just up the hill from the Old Town Mexican.
    TecateTom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/21 00:08:57 (permalink)
    So Rex- where did you go to escape the high prices in San Diego? Can a San Diegan be happy in another part of the country after having lived in paradise?
    siouxbea
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/08/29 13:09:48 (permalink)
    30 year residents: our favorite sit-down is by far Tony's Jacal in Eden Gardens, just up the street from the Del Mar racetrack. Prepare to wait and don't miss the chile rellenos - decadent!
    lisam
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/10/19 20:21:22 (permalink)
    The only place that I go to is Fidel's in Solana Beach. Their food is excellent and the service is really fast. It's definitely worth the wait.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/10/22 22:17:37 (permalink)
    My favorite Mexican in San Diego??----Maria Palenzuelos!!! She was a med student that lived next door to us in Married Student Housing when my wife was grad school at UCSD!---(now she's DR maria!!!)---and COULD SHE COOK!!!!! She really did serve the vest Mexican i ate the---outside of few places south of the border that is!
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/22 00:06:03 (permalink)
    We went to Las Olas in Cardiff for Lobsters .....They were great.

It had been a long time since I had been there and the dinner was wonderful. Our party of 6 were all very happy (it might have had something to do with the Margaritas!)_
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/23 17:07:23 (permalink)
    For real authentic Mexican tacos try Mama Testa's in the Hillcrest area. Byt living here for over 35 years, I have found my favorite places to be some places in Old Town that are now gone (because the CA State Parks was duped into a proposal by Delaware North that they could make more money, so Bazaar Del Mundo was closed and with it went Casa de Pico and Casa de Bandini). Casa Guadalahara, Alphonso's, Old Town Mexican, Fidel's, Tony's Jacal, and Miguel's Cocina in Coronado are good. For good (and inexpensive) pork carnitas try Porkyland in Barrio Lagon and La Jolla.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/23 17:25:35 (permalink)
    I haven't been to San Diego in a while, but am sad to hear that the Bazaar Del Mundo has closed, as well as the Casa De Bandini. We had some great margaritas there, and watched some Mexican Dancing on Sundays, too. The Old Town Mexican used to have women out front patting out torillas, and their Carnitas were very good. What is in Old Town now?
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/24 10:51:38 (permalink)
    Old Town is part State Park, part retail/commercial, part offices, hotels, and residential.
    The State Park owns the old hotel and stables and the "square" at the North end of the Old Town strip. Over 30 years ago the State Park was in shambles and a local entrepreneur, Diane Powers, bid on the site to renovate it and she created The Bazaar Del Mundo and added restraurants and shops. She added lucious vegitation and landscaping that made the place colorful and bright and felt like a Mexican Hacienda. There were Forklorico dancers, strolling Mariachi's and othe events sponsored by Bazaaer Del Mundo. Most San Dieagns loved the place going there for happy hour for chips and margaritas, or delighting visiting guests after a day at Sea World or the Zoo. SO although it was a "tourist place" it was a resonable and pleasant place to spend an afternoon strolling or an evening of sharing Mexican food and colorful frutiy drinks.

Politics took play when Californians decided to recall Govenor Grey Davis. He stuffed commitees with friends and fired old time enemies as the recall gained momentum. He also was lobbied by Delaware North to take of the Old Town State Park concession. Delaware North also does Yellowstone and other "theme related" places and pays the parks a percentage of profits.

Well there must have been some political hanky pancky or just money envolved because although Bazaar Del Mundo made the most money in the California Parks system, Delaware North proposed they could make even more. DIane Powers had invested millions of dolars and decades to build her enterprise. A court battle, public appeals all failed and the Bazaar empited out and closed eveything.

Delaware North, in an attempt to return the site to it's "original 1860' California era" tore out all the vegitation (ferns, palms, bouganvalia...just say nice tropical plants), they tore out the Spansih water fountains, removed spanish tile and painted bland colors over all the colorful things that were there. They changed the restaurants to names lie Jolly Boy and Cosmopolitan and serve boring bland meals that are suppose to reflect the era. Instead of real Mariachies, there's fake Calvary and other uniformed characters, ala Disneyland that well be glad to share with you what this was during "it's era." Which by the way is very boring. A dusty, scary frontier town with hourse stables and a run down hotel that served as a brothel. Trades like ironsmith, horse shoeing, and repaing the wheels and stocking the provisions for people passing through. Although perhaps authentic, it's not as nice as a good Mexican meal sitting by a babbling fountain outdoors and listenting to Mariachi music while sipping on a Margarita.

In a local cartoon it showed the waiter trying to serve "authentic goats milk" as a replacement for the Margariats once famous here.

Thsi is a really event for San Diego. When you have a place where both tourists and locals love to go and frequently make freidns with those dining around them, its a rare place. San Diego mourns and misses Bazaar Del Mundo... we suspect Delware North will never make it nearly as popular.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/24 12:06:05 (permalink)
    I'm really sorry to hear about Bazaar Del Mundo. I once interviewed with Diane Powers for a position managing one of her restaurants. I didn't get the job, but what a classy lady.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/24 12:09:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I'm really sorry to hear about Bazaar Del Mundo. I once interviewed with Diane Powers for a position managing one of her restaurants. I didn't get the job, but what a classy lady.

Poverty, you amaze me. I think you have worked everywhere!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/27 16:00:05 (permalink)
    Alfonso's, in La Jolla. No, it's not remotely "authentic," (menu is composed of Yanqui favorites like quesedillas & burritos) but I've been going there for over 20 years and its held up well. Fabulous salsa that I've not seen replicated elsewhere.

Margaritas are a little sweet for my taste, but then, so are all restaurant margaritas.
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/27 22:59:05 (permalink)
    I have family that lives in SD. The best Mexican place I've ever been to is La Nena's in Chula Vista. They have this chicken soup called pollo de calda that's better than any Jewish chicken soup I've had. Also, a great taco chain that originated in Tijuana is Taco Gordo; every type of taco-- lengua, carnita, cecina, chorizo, etc. These are the best of the best, places where Mexicans around the border go to.
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2005/11/28 15:16:23 (permalink)
    rjb, I agree about Alphonss's. I used to go there often and did like their salsa and appetizers. Lately I don't go because it's gotten very expensive and it's really crowded in "the Prospect Street" area of La Jolla. For tourists, it all right. But as a local I find myself going to La Jolla forPorkeyLand more than the fine restaurants. Alphonso's charges $19.00 (maybe more now) for a carne asada plaza.

There a web site called Local Wally maintained by a local San Dieagan... he makes some good (I agree on most) recmmendations on local places to eat and very entertaining if you or someone you know are planning a trip to San Diego....

http://www.localwally.com/

astampfel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/03/20 15:24:55 (permalink)
    There is this counter place in Coronado, off the main drag, about 5th street. It is a one story whie building with a screen door. I think all it says is, "Mexican Food". Everything there is great, inexpensive, and HUGE!!! Everytime I go there, I eat until I can't take it anymore (at least until I gain 10 pounds).
    purplesalsa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/03/30 15:09:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by slackademic

I have been here for almost a year now, and don't have a good sense on what the best Mexican joints are. Does anyone have recommendations? I have heard that El Zarape in Univ. Heights is good, but I haven't made it over there yet. Any info is much appreciated!

There are a lot of good places but my favorite has always been Tony's Jacal in Del Mar. It's family owned business that's been there for over 50 years. Very very good.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/03/30 15:33:30 (permalink)
    Since I live in North County, that's where my recomendations happen to be.
    Fiesta Mexicana, Oceanside
    Pollos Maria, Oceanside and Carlsbad
    Anita's, Both locations in Oceanside
    Fidels Norte, Carlsbad
    Doatsie
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1117
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/06/20 15:07:52 (permalink)
    I lived in San Diego for 12 years and go back occasionally for visits. My favorite all time mexican restaurant is Jalisco on Palm Avenue in Imperial Beach. I now live in Texas and while there are some wonderful mexican restaurants here and San Antonio, my heart is in San Diego. I used to get up early on Saturday and along with several freinds would go eat menudo. My wife refused to accompany us as did the other wives. I have yet to find some goodmenudo here. Another specialty in San Deigo's flavor of mexican food is carne asada. Hard to find here.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/06/20 16:08:54 (permalink)
    Ah but Brisketboy you can get Migas and I can't. Doatsie
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1117
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/07/05 15:22:42 (permalink)
    You're right Doatsie. I never had migas till I got here and now I can't live without them. Incidentally, if you're ever in Point Loma on Rosecranz and harbor Drive there is a place called Santana's. That's a burrito to die for. Just up the road is Casa de Loma also outstanding.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/07/06 11:45:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions! Doatsie
    LinnyG
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Your Favorite Mexican in San Diego 2007/07/29 22:03:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by slackademic

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1