Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your Favorite Peanut Butter

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 66
FoodDude

• Total Posts: 27
Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 8:30 PM (permalink)
Debate time everybody. What type of peanut butter do you like? Smooth, crunchy, all natural? What is your favorite brand? And what do you like to make? PB&J, a fluffernutter, an Elvis special (with bananas), or just as is?

Me, I like smooth peanut butter as I find crunchy gets into my teeth. Also I find my favorite brand is Jif with Kraft peanut butter a close second (they're only avaliable in Canada). I cant say that Im sold on Skippy. I also find that peanut butter by itself on whole grain bread is the best way to enjoy it. I've tried a fluffernutter before but while good I found it to be a little over the top.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 9:07 PM (permalink)
    JIF, extra crunchy, my fave commercial PB.

I also like the all natural butters, almond, and cashew.

Both with jams made by Sundancer's mom, Mamaw Smith.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
      RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 9:12 PM (permalink)
      JIF creamy, on white bread with either blueberry jam or peach preserves. A cold glass of milk on the side.

Dennis in Cary

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17796
        RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
        It's Krema. I prefer the smooth version of this wonderful, all-natutral peanut butter that is made in Columbus, Ohio. There's nothing in it but peanuts.

ericats

• Total Posts: 112
          RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 9:57 PM (permalink)
          Trader Joe's brand organic crunchy. My favorite use of peanut butter is to make an asian spicy peanut sauce to pour over cold noodles.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
            RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 10:08 PM (permalink)
            Dearfolk,
            Somewhere previously I posted about running across a brand of peanut butter in creamy and crunchy made in Opelika, Alabama. It's got a picture of George Washington Carver on the label. This is the best local brand I know of, and contains a small enough amount of sugar that I can eat it with impunity.
            For the "all-natural" variety, I go for Kroger's house brand. When I come up with something used container-wise to put it in, I'll opt for buying it in bulk at Daily Grocery, our local natural foods co-op.
            Uncrunchingly (At The Moment), Ort. Carlton in Creamy Smooth Athens, Georgia.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
              RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 10:34 PM (permalink)
              My favorite peanut butter was what my kids and I ate when they were very small.
              About once per month I'd buy a big bag of roasted peanuts. We'd sit around for a couple hours on a friday night and shel them. Then we'd dump them into a blender and turn them into peanut butter. I went through a couple cheap blenders doing that. . . it took a lot of blending, poking and such to get good creamy stuff. You always had to mix it when you opened the jar as the oil would come to the top.
              Well worth the expense of a couple blenders over the years.

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
                RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Sun, 02/27/05 11:50 PM (permalink)
                My favorite peanut butter brand is JIF creamy. I never tried Kraft peanut butter before. I also like Smucker's all natural peanut butter, you have to stir it to get all the oil on top to mix evenly. I like to make peanut butter sandwiches with grape jam or cherry preserves and I also like to put peanut butter on apple slices.

CHOOSY MOTHERS CHOOSE JIF!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 3:06 AM (permalink)
                  Jiff Crunchy for this old fart...
                  (still a kid at heart)...

jerseygirl127

• Total Posts: 454
                    RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 6:14 AM (permalink)
                    hmmmmmmm interesting topic.... i grew up on skippy... and now i can't even eat that.. don't know why- something about the way the oil separates or something..now i'm a 'choosey mother' and we choose jif... like the smooth/creamy-- but every once in a while i'll get chunky for the hubby for something different...

good topic......:)

gatorbreath

• Total Posts: 105
                      RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 6:27 AM (permalink)
                      Peter Pan on celery. Or, on toast with a smattering of dry roasted peanuts, banana rounds, and a few M&M's, plain, not peanut.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                        RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 1:59 PM (permalink)
                        usually jiff but if theres a sale I'm open to skippy or even the deepsouth brand, definately creamy though, strawberry jam and a slice of american cheese(dont knock it till ya tried it!) peanutbutter and honey with bananna(oh MY!)or just grab a jar and a spoon!! my all time fav has to be the gov't issue peanut butter where the oil came to the top!!

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                          RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 2:17 PM (permalink)
                          JIF creamy is fine,either on a saltine or ritz cracker.....I would love to try an all-natural creamy but the local health store only makes a crunchy(which I like as well).....who am I kidding,I love it all!

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
                            RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 2:40 PM (permalink)
                            I grew up eating kraft and skippy and the like. About 10 years ago I read the labels and realized what kife it was. I switched to all natural smooth from the bulk store. Took some getting used to but I wouldn't go back now. My kids have known nothing else.

I really enjoy peanut butter with old cheddar cheese. I find the sharpness of the cheddar balances the flat flavour of the peanuts. Grilled peanut butter sandwiches are great as well, although no one in my house will try one.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                              RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 2:50 PM (permalink)
                              Whatever has peanuts or peanuts and salt as its sole ingredients. Usually Smuckers or Crazy Richards are what I can get in the supermarket. I can't stomach anything with hydrogenated vegetable oil, xantham gum, dextrose, etc. and whatever else they add. However, slightly off topic, but I do have a weakness for Nutella.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                Whatever plain ground peanut butter I can find. My daughter lives on Jiff extra crunchy, but I can't stand all the crap RC1Mike refers to above either.

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
                                  RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 5:09 PM (permalink)
                                  Oh, well. I prefer Jif crunchy.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                    RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                                    Somewhere previously I posted about running across a brand of peanut butter in creamy and crunchy made in Opelika, Alabama. It's got a picture of George Washington Carver on the label. This is the best local brand I know of, and contains a small enough amount of sugar that I can eat it with impunity.
                                    For the "all-natural" variety, I go for Kroger's house brand. When I come up with something used container-wise to put it in, I'll opt for buying it in bulk at Daily Grocery, our local natural foods co-op.
                                    Uncrunchingly (At The Moment), Ort. Carlton in Creamy Smooth Athens, Georgia.

Hmmm. This is rather near my abode. I shall investigate further...

mugirl2003

• Total Posts: 19
                                      RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                      Hmmmmmm....... Upon my investigation and random boredness, I have found that mixing Splenda with natural creamy/crunchy PB is excellant! I pour all the oil out(still stuck in this fat is bad 90's era thing!) to cut the calories/fat and mix some splenda in. I was surprised by the taste, but it doesn't spread well at all, but I like it by the spoonful. I always like Better than Peanut Butter, which I have found at Drug Emporium. Sweeter than PB, a lot less calories and fat, but it spreads a smile on my face(no pun intended!

Vanessa

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                        RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Mon, 02/28/05 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm open minded:

Jif, creamy or crunchy. On White or wheat. With strawberry preserves or banana. Or plain. Or on crackers. Or with an apple. Or right out of the jar. Or . . .

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                                          RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Tue, 03/1/05 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                          I experimented with Jif, Kraft and Skippy.
                                          Jif won hands down and is my favorite in the
                                          extra crunchy version. I usually eat it by the
                                          tablespoonful when I wake up at 2 in the morning.
                                          I have tried natural peanut butters but Jif wins
                                          out for my taste. Being a lover of most nuts, I
                                          have tried cashew butter and almond butter. AFter
                                          buying and slowly eating both it is clear why
                                          they have never overtaken peanut butter. Its simply
                                          that peanut butter tastes way better.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                            RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Tue, 03/1/05 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                            as far as widely availiable.......Jif Honey Peanut Butter, creamy style, or Jif extra crunchy. Locally, a blend made at a co-op that consists of honey, peanuts, cashews, almonds and hazelnuts. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                              RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Tue, 03/1/05 4:18 PM (permalink)
                                              I like the Kroger's crunchy. Jiff and Skippy always seemed too fakely smooth, if that makes sense. I like the texture of crunchy peanut butter better.

Andrea

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
                                                RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Tue, 03/1/05 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                                Peter Pan creamy on challah bread (or toast) with strawberry jam.

My boyfriend eats peanut butter in what I find odd combinations with other stuff. The other night though he had me try peanut butter on celery sprinkled with wasabi peas. I thought he was crazy, but the sweetness of the peanut butter and the spicy wasabi was a wow combo. :)

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
                                                  RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Tue, 03/1/05 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  Smucker's natural crunchy with nutella on oat bread for me, or on white bread with a banana and honey or with grape preserves or cherry preserves.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
                                                    RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Tue, 03/1/05 6:48 PM (permalink)
                                                    In the interest of cardiac and circulatory health, I will only eat a peanut butter that has the peanut oil floating on the top. (Note: Upon first opening this jar, just spend a couple of minutes mixing the oil into the more solid peanut puree below, and then refrigerate. You will never have to mix it again.)

Any peanut butter that is "homogenized" so that it is uniformly creamy when you open the jar is one that has had partially-hydrogenated oils blended into it. Partially-hydrogenated oils contain a very high level of "trans fats", and trans fats are widely believed to be the worst type of fat that you can put into your body. The peanut butters that contain these laboratory-made fats are Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan, and any other peanut butter that is smooth and uniformly creamy in the jar. I think that the extra 2 minutes that this takes me to mix up the peanut butter is well worth the benefits to my health.

Usually, I buy Wegman's Natural Peanut Butter, but I also like Smucker's Natural. You might be surprised at how much fresher these natural peanut butters taste, in addition to being more healthy.

shen

• Total Posts: 150
                                                      RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Wed, 03/2/05 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                                      I say this not because it is what I grew up on, but because I feel like it is just the best. JIF creamy.
                                                      Skippy is like fake peanut butter. Jif smells rich and peanutty and tastes so damn good. Even the low fat JIF.
                                                      But now on occasion I enjoy trader joes organic creamy. very good too. but i still favor JIF.

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
                                                        • Location: Greenville SC
                                                        RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Wed, 03/2/05 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        Choosy mothers really do choose Jif! Super crunch for me. Preferably nice and warm on toast. :-)

jinjo76

• Total Posts: 204
                                                          • Location: Oakland Park, FL
                                                          RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Wed, 03/2/05 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                                          Smucker's Natural on saltines with a cold glass of milk, usually at 2:30am.

Salustra

• Total Posts: 510
                                                            • Joined: 12/17/2004
                                                            • Location: Escondido, CA
                                                            RE: Your Favorite Peanut Butter Wed, 03/2/05 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Shara

peanut butter on celery

Peanut Butter and celery was a lunch box staple when my boys were much younger. To get them to eat such a healthy snack, I spread PB on celery and topped with raisins; called it "Bugs on a Log".

Nobody has mentioned my favorite "Laura Scudder's". It's one of those old-fashioned, natural-style peanut butters that has the oil floating on top and must be kept in fridge. Have to remember to take it out early enough to warm up or risk tearing the bread apart to make PBJ. Also like to fresh-grind my own at Henry's.

Oh, yeah--smooth for sandwiches or spreading on graham crackers; crunchy for making cookies! Got milk??

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 66

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com