Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4121
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 09:30:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

MetroplexJim has it right. That is what we meant.

Thanks. Thought so.

Over the years (I'm 60) I've noticed that many, if not most, "Old-Style Italian places" are owned and operated by Greek immigrants. Anyone have an idea of how this came about?

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6285
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 09:38:39 (permalink)
Intermarrying??????
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 09:39:25 (permalink)
To me, Old Style Italian place means Frank Sinatra cuisine, italian foods like from Patsy's Restaurant. North means meat, mushrooms. Middle of Italy means cheeses and veg. South means light and herbacious. I picked Antipasto.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 09:40:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

MetroplexJim has it right. That is what we meant.

Thanks. Thought so.

Over the years (I'm 60) I've noticed that many, if not most, "Old-Style Italian places" are owned and operated by Greek immigrants. Anyone have an idea of how this came about?

Here in Dallas, the so-called "red sauce" Italian restaurants and many pizza joints are mostly owned by Albanians and such. Their kitchens are manned by Latino's. And, actually, the food is pretty good for the most part. One in particular, Cafe Amore, with two locations, is impossible to get into on a Friday or Saturday night.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 09:41:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Intermarrying??????

Agreed, a good Antipasto is good anywhere!!!...and easily found anyplace!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 09:42:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

To me, Old Style Italian place means Frank Sinatra cuisine, italian foods like from Patsy's Restaurant. North means meat, mushrooms. Middle of Italy means cheeses and veg. South means light and herbacious. I picked Antipasto.

Yeah!! In Italy!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 10:02:28 (permalink)
I agree...to a point, but there is great Italian food to be had here....don't go commercial...and look for a place run by Italians, preferably places frequented by other Italians!
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/27 12:19:42 (permalink)
I don't order ravioli out, normally. Nothing is going to compare to my grandmother's (& now it's my grandfather who makes it) filling--meat, cheese, eggs, bread & spinach. Yum. I will order it if something funky like seafood or mushrooms are on the inside.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 04:10:10 (permalink)
I don't recall seeing garlic bread on the menu when in Italy.
marta
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 08:10:56 (permalink)
Leetheberd
I assure you that a true italian can prepare all that dishes (and much more...)without p roblem at home. And all the italian dishes will be better than any other restaurant...
NEVER, NEVER ordered spaghetti, lasagne, ravioli, gnocchi in a restaurant... Only pizza. Why? Unfortunately a brickoven (wood fired) could not be assembled in my kitchen...

Ciao!
A true italian,
marta

Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 09:00:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jaylhorner

Bruschetta is served all over Italy. It can be had without any topping. Just toasted bread rubbed with a raw clove of garlic. Also, in Tuscany, it's called Fettunta--again, just toasted country bread (toasted typically over a wood fire) and then rubbed with garlic. They don't make a big deal about this stuff as we tend to here (by adding all kinds of toppings, melted cheese, etc.)
hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 09:24:04 (permalink)
Being an Italian has nothing to do with it. Nothing at all. Anyone who makes the effort and uses a good recipe will turn out the same food.
I suppose African-Americans make the best fried chicken, too?
There's millions of Italians that can't cook to save their lives. It's the individual, not the race or nationality.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 09:34:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

quote:

Bruschetta is served all over Italy. It can be had without any topping. Just toasted bread rubbed with a raw clove of garlic. Also, in Tuscany, it's called Fettunta--again, just toasted country bread (toasted typically over a wood fire) and then rubbed with garlic. They don't make a big deal about this stuff as we tend to here (by adding all kinds of toppings, melted cheese, etc.)

Right. I also noticed when I have been to Italy, No"garlic bread" was ever served. But bruschetta was served almost everywhere. And it was, wonderful!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 10:42:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hutt

Being an Italian has nothing to do with it. Nothing at all. Anyone who makes the effort and uses a good recipe will turn out the same food.
There's millions of Italians that can't cook to save their lives. It's the individual, not the race or nationality.

I personally wasnt saying that ALL Italians are great cooks when is aid i dont eat in Italian places run by Wasps---i also dont eat in nChinese places where the cook are Irish---or Greek places run by Aussie---its a matter of ETHNICITY---when i eat Ehtnis i mwant to taste the Flaovrs of the Culture and AS A RULE that is hard to capture if you have not LIVED the culture--although it CAN be one can be learned -it is NOT the rule in MOST American food venu-exceptions do exist for sure--i know that i make lots of great Chinese style dishes-Thai-Mexican and lots of others--i also know that my BEST cuiisine is Italian--i grew up with it--i LIVED it---we raised the food--cooked it--served it--etc--BUT i do know ==that if i am out for diner--it is USUALLY better to go to a place --of any ethnicity-that is run run by folks FROM that group---especially if you are ONE OF THEM--AS CHANCES ARE GREAT THAT YOU WILL NOT BE SATISFIED ANYWAY BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW--NOBODY CAN COOK AS GOOD AS "MY GRANDMOTHER"!!! I certainly did not mean to say that only Italians can cook Italian--just that for THIS Italian--if you wqant my MONEY for it--you better be REALLY good---cause i know i can do it myself cheaper than you can serve it to me.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 10:45:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by hutt

I personally wasnt saying that ALL Italians are great cooks when is aid i dont eat in Italian places run by Wasps---i also dont eat in nChinese places where the cook are Irish---or Greek places run by Aussie---its a matter of ETHNICITY---when i eat Ehtnis i mwant to taste the Flaovrs of the Culture and AS A RULE that is hard to capture if you have not LIVED the culture--although it CAN be one can be learned -it is NOT the rule in MOST American food venu-exceptions do exist for sure--i know that i make lots of great Chinese style dishes-Thai-Mexican and lots of others--i also know that my BEST cuiisine is Italian--i grew up with it--i LIVED it---we raised the food--cooked it--served it--etc--BUT i do know ==that if i am out for diner--it is USUALLY better to go to a place --of any ethnicity-that is run run by folks FROM that group---especially if you are ONE OF THEM--AS CHANCES ARE GREAT THAT YOU WILL NOT BE SATISFIED ANYWAY BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW--NOBODY CAN COOK AS GOOD AS "MY GRANDMOTHER"!!! I certainly did not mean to say that only Italians can cook Italian--just that for THIS Italian--if you wqant my MONEY for it--you better be REALLY good---cause i know i can do it myself cheaper than you can serve it to me.

tiki~I totally agree with you.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6905
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/06/28 17:46:34 (permalink)
In Boston's North End there is a great little restaurant called Mangia Calamari. Their clams in white sauce (garlic and olive oil) on linguine is absolutely outstanding. It's served in the saute pan it was cooked in. All the other stuff I can make at home. But this dish is truly outstanding, served with thick slices of good crusty Italian bread (no garlic).
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 11:23:49 (permalink)
Hole in the Wall - Northbrook Illinois. No checks or credit cards, no reservations, menu on a chalkboard, tables uncomfortably close together. It's on a suburban feeder road, but once you're inside, it's like being in an old neighborhood place. The Chicken Vesuvio is excellent, as is the seafood (my favorite is a seafood over fettucini dish with plenty of shrimp, clams and red sauce). They have a salad for two that can't be beat, and plenty of warm bread and olive oil. If you're on the North Shore of Chicago, it's worth a trip. But remember - the place opens at 5, and by 5:30 the wait is probably 40 minutes to an hour, at least on weekends. So either arrive early, or be prepared to bide your time for a while. It's worth it.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 12:55:54 (permalink)
Sounds like a great place....
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 15:01:42 (permalink)
I was in Myrtle Beach on business and a sales rep offered to take us out to dinner. He said there was a great new Italian place in town. I won't give the name, even though it was about 10-12 years ago.

That day we were watching the local tourist channel on TV and they are interviewing A guy from Texas. Big Cowboy hat, big cigar and big Texas accent. He was talking about a restaurant he just opened. He explained that there wasn't anyplace in town to get a good HiiiTalian meal, so he opened a HiiiTalian restaurant. Sure enough it was the place we were going to that night.

I told the people in my group I had a feeling that our meal was going to suck tonight....I was right.

No problem, we closed the bar that night.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8392
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 17:16:48 (permalink)
We still have a wonderful "Italian" section of town here in Milwaukee, where restaurants serve good old fashiond cooked food.I, myself, as of Irish-German descent, have been given a wonderful "Gravy" recipe from one of the grandmas of a guy I dated( His dad owned one of the best Mom and Pop restaurants on the east side-the boys still do, and have kept the original recipe)Point being, every ethnicity in this country has wonderful recipes passed on through the generations( I make a mean beef rouladen that rivals any German restaurant in town)and while this woman taught me how to cook "Italian", she beat me out every time.Nothing wrong with that.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 17:34:40 (permalink)
"Spiritos in Elizabeth N.J." totally old style mom and pop lots of red sauce lots of veal parm, chicken parm, and homemade ravs and meatballs...pizza aint bad either!!!
Rookiecook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 18:59:49 (permalink)
Moving to Lodi (NJ) when 5 years old, this Polack quickly got educated and learned to love both Italian cuisine and its heritage. Though now in Mahwah, my Italian wife of over a third-century keeps me well fed with all types of foods (I need to diet bad). When she was young, she could look out her window and see the NY Italian food establishment often seen on the Food Channel. Her Dad often was allowed behind the counter too! As I kid, I remember buying 5-cent lemon ices (with rind) at a pastry shop just a ½-block from my grammar school. Nearby Garfield (NJ) still has fine Italian fare. Know most of the country has equally great spots. As a kid, Mom often sent me down the street to Barcelona’s to pick up a large 88c pizza, and their bartender often gave me a free soda while I waited! It’s a condo-complex now, but their Garfield location may still be around for one of the best antipastos around, as it was even serving them through my thirties. Pizza-Town USA on 17w in Elmwood Park still has the best pizzas, zeppolies, and calzones around, and nearby Mario’s in Clifton completes my A+ ”old-school Italian.”
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 19:52:23 (permalink)
Sounds like you're living in a food paradise,according to this Italian!!!
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 22:04:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

quote:

Melted cheese on bruschetta is a travesty.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 22:34:17 (permalink)
Meatballs and spaghetti.

The Bear
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/05 23:27:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

In Boston's North End there is a great little restaurant called Mangia Calamari. Their clams in white sauce (garlic and olive oil) on linguine is absolutely outstanding. It's served in the saute pan it was cooked in. All the other stuff I can make at home. But this dish is truly outstanding, served with thick slices of good crusty Italian bread (no garlic).

My grandmother told my mother that garlic is actually from French cooking, not so much Italian. That's why she doesn't put it in her meatballs, sauce, lasagne, ravs, etc. Is that valid?

& hutt, yeah I have to respectfully disagree with you. My Italian grandparents make the best Italian food, IMHO. And my Italian poppa & stepmomma. My German & French mother is good at many things in the kitchen, but Italian food isn't one of them. Although she does have good ideas, just needs help on the execution.

"HiiiTalian"

^^This & the ever-popular Eye-Talian both make my teeth itch.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/06 07:15:39 (permalink)
My mom always said do NOT put garlic into the meatball mix...it didn't belong! I still don't. i DO put plenty in with the onions and olive oil to start my sunday gravy...couldn't make sauce without it!
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/09 11:56:01 (permalink)
My choices at an old style Italian Restaurant ...
I like the veal. I love eggplant.
As far as a dish, if they'll make it for me - or if it's on the menu, which is not very often - I'll order Pasta Cicci (a pasta dish made with cicci peas).
And I always ask if they have homemade Italian breadcrumbs to sprinkle on top of my pasta, whatever I ordered.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/09 12:02:17 (permalink)
Easy -- Mario's in Westport, CT. A true old-style red-sauce place. Prime rib, Lamb chops, Steaks, Pastas, and Martinis.

I get long hots with anchovies and onions, salad with Gorgonzola vinaigrette, and Lamb chops, med rare, with spaghetti on the side. Sometimes I get a meatball with the pasta...

Great place...
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4612
RE: Your Favorite at an Old-style Italian place 2008/09/09 13:42:51 (permalink)
I enjoy Joe's in Northampton, MA.

Another place around here is the Skyline, in Windsor Locks, CT.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1