Your Favorite beer and why!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 14:16:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

Day to day beer here is Busch.. Reason being is it's price and my budget.
But for a premium beer, Bass, any weizen brew or a blonde from a microbrewery.

Nothing like a nice blonde in a microbrewery!

That brings to mind the grand opening of Bayhawk Ales in Irvine, Ca., in January of 1995. That evening I was giving tours of the brewery when this totally hot blonde told me she wanted to strip off and climb into the mash tun...well, one thing led to another...
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 14:30:06 (permalink)
The fruity beer commercial was a way to detract consumers from drinking Mexican beer, the fastest growing beers on the American market.

Anywho, I like it clean. Sapporo, Rolling Rock, Pacifico. No taste is good taste.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 14:46:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cornfed

The fruity beer commercial was a way to detract consumers from drinking Mexican beer, the fastest growing beers on the American market.

Anywho, I like it clean. Sapporo, Rolling Rock, Pacifico. No taste is good taste.

Most likely, but I was anti-fruit long before the commercials. Even while living in Germany I would accasionally receive a Hefe-Weissen with a lemon slice...always tossed it to the side. A good beer shouldn't need any "help."

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3144
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 16:27:28 (permalink)
Spaten Oktoberfest

There are many that I love; some it just depends on the setting but if I had to drink just one, the Spaten would probably be it.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6346
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 16:58:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JRPfeff

quote:
Originally posted by stlouisguy

hey, I'm from St. Louis. It's Bud or Bud Light for me, on an everyday basis.

When not having the best A-B has to offer,

The subject of this thread is Favorite Beers. Why did you mention A-B soda pop?

Jim

If I was from St. Louis I too would support my brew and the workers who made it. But I'm not though I lived there a half year when I was one year old. I never adopted the taste for it

Americans like light beers. I think they really don't like beer at all but think maybe their manhood would be questioned if they didn't drink it and chardonnay is for the women folk. I once watched a middle age Harley gang drive up to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum and they all pulled Miller Lite out of the cooler. I just shook my head in disbelief.

BTW, I jsut polised off a pint of Boddingtons. [|)]
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18362
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 17:05:14 (permalink)
I keep some Sam Adams Boston Ale in the refrigerator to occasionally have with a meal, but that's about it. I'm not much of a beer drinker. Oh, and I have a couple of bottles of Heniken in there, too. That's my grandson's beer. I don't know what I'll do with it now. He left this morning for Korea and Iraq, and he won't be back for at least a year.
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 17:45:20 (permalink)
I love a beer called SOUTHPAW..... great little flavor for a regional beer.
desertdog
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:00:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Spaten Oktoberfest

There are many that I love; some it just depends on the setting but if I had to drink just one, the Spaten would probably be it.

Then you might enjoy this pic just a wee bit more than we do !!!

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:06:23 (permalink)
That's right! Spaten builds strong bodies twelve ways!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:16:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Davy,
Can you still find Hauenstein's in Minneapolis? This was made by G. Heileman in their huge LaCrosse plant, but originally came out of New Ulm, MN., the same city where Schell's is made. The family required adherence to the original formula when they sold out, so it was a really good "bready" lager, as I remember.
Schmidt used to make an "Extra Special" that was good.
Can you still find Cold Spring? Story I was told was that it pushes the 3.2% limit a bit: "It'll get you snockered," I was told. Or has Minnesota done away with their 3.2%-beer-only-on-Sundays law? Is 3.2 even made anymore??
Curiously, Ort. Carlton in Totally-Dry-On-Sunday (Except In Restaurants) Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:21:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB
There is a beer called "Blackened Voodoo" that I enjoy.Andrea

Andrea,
You'd better stock up on Blackened Voodoo, because if I understand correctly, Dixie Brewing in New Orleans went out of business recently. It may well have been a Hurricane Katrina casualty.
Someone else may be brewing it for Dixie now, or maybe the company obtained an infusion of new capital and reopened... I'm really not sure. You might check around on Google to be sure.
I've never seen Kalik anywhere in this country, unless it has somehow eluded me. Their website (assuming they have one!) might give you more information. If it is anywhere in the U. S., I would think of Florida first.
Unthirstily, Ort. Carlton in Fixing-To-Rain Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:23:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by agnesrob
I like Yuengling lager, preferably on tap but a bottle will do.

Agnesrob,
And it's still not available in Georgia! It is sold in Clemson, South Carolina, which is only 60 miles from me, and in North Carolina. Fact is, it's in Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi, but NOT here -- go figure.
Yuenglinglessly, Ort. Carlton in Beerfully Cheerful Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:30:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by heavy liquid
I love Bell's Beer, and it's probably what I drink the most. They're out of Kalamazoo, MI. They make some fantastic brews. Their most famous is Oberon, although they have many other great beers and lots of small batch/limited stuff that is to die for.

Heavy,
Bell's Hopslam? That's a new one on me! I ought to send a friend of mine looking for it in Asheville, North Carolina, where you can find nearly all of Bell's products... even some of the one-offs.
Amazing but true, I'm sitting here typing this in Athens, Georgia (where Bell's is not yet available) wearing a Bell's SOLSUN t-shirt that I bought some years ago at my first Eccentric Day. They were asked to change the name of the beer when they brought it out of Michigan and into Illinois, which was their first market afield.
Due to a disagreement with their distributor in Illinois, they pulled out of there and are now selling in quite a few new-to-them markets. I understand that their products really took off in Asheville, where something like 65% of the beer sold is craft brews and imports.
ReBelliously, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. My favorite of their products is Two Hearted Ale. The Expedition Stout (as in one of Larry Bell's favorite sayings: "Put on your pith helmet and go on safari with me!") is my second favorite.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:32:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stlouisguy
hey, I'm from St. Louis.

St. Louis Guy,
Do you ever drink Lemp's, or do they still make it? That's an old St. Louis beer brand that was resurrected by the family fairly recently. I tried both the regular and the lighter version (they were brought to me by someone from there who lives here now) and thought they were pretty darned good.
Not Lemping Along, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 18:34:13 (permalink)
quote:
Here is the beer I had last Saturday night at Grumpy's Bar in downtown Minneapolis. It is a new local brew.
Surly Brewing Co. Bender

Davy,
I'd sure like to have that can!
Caniferously, Ort. Carlton (formerly B. C. C. A. # 24309 and still collecting occasionally and wanting to rejoin).
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 20:29:21 (permalink)
I'm not a beer person, but I'm chiming in on behalf of my husband:

He swears by Stone Brewery (and is very happy they relocated their brewing facilities to Escondido.)

#1) Oaked Arrogant Bastard (it makes me hoppy!)
#2) Smoked Porter (to accompany a meal)
#3) Imperial Russian Stout (for dessert)

Next weekend's special pour in the tasting room will be Oaked AB.
Tasting Room opens at 11am everyday. See ya there.

And don't forget....Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6346
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/27 22:30:58 (permalink)
Ort,

I haven't seen Hauenstein for years.

I haven't thought about it but I think they may still sell the 3.2 beer in grocery stores and some restaurants. SuperTargets in Minnesota only sell the non-alcoholic beers. They were never like Ohio and Wisconsin where you could drink it at 18. If they still sell it, I don't buy it.

That can was in Grumpy's Bar. I thought the new startup Surly Brewing Co. only had tap beer in a very limited few bars in the Twin Cities. I was surprised when I asked for it that it came in a can. I thought about taking the can home with me but I didn't. Here is their web site.

http://www.surlybrewing.com/index.php
creek rat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 00:13:16 (permalink)
My favorite is Champagne Velvet beer out of Terre Haute, Indiana. I always ask my son to bring back a couple cases with him when he comes home to visit. Sure wish they distributed out here in Southern New Jersey.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 01:46:19 (permalink)
Hire's Root Beer

Sorry, I can't drink alcohol anymore.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 01:56:56 (permalink)
I went to TGI Friday's and they didn't have Sam Adams regular so I sufficed with a Sam's Lite. I was surprised with the deapth of flavor and will always order it over any other "light beer". After two of those I was told that they were out of the Sam's Lite so I ordered a Fat Tire Ale and I found the hoppy flavor agreeable, but the yeastiness of the head turned me off. I have taken the tour at the New Belgiam Brewery and the beer or "ale" didn't exehibit the same yeasty flavor. Maybe it is the freshness of the product at the source but I won't order a Fat Tire in place of a Sam's any time soon as the flavor isn't comparable. I have comlpeted two Beer Tours at Old Chicagos of 110 beers each so I do have some reference to some very fine beers! Boddington's stands out as a very hoppy Scottish ale! New Castle stands out as a very fine amber and chocolaty smooth ale without moch hop. I used to cook with Shiner Bock in AZ as it was our beer "on tap". Good local flavor! IPA is a little too bitter for me so I tend to go for a Lager or a Light Ale. I reall enjoy a Lambic in the summer months as the fruit in the mix gives it a refreshing flavor when poured over ice.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 08:16:43 (permalink)
Hello All,
Cajunking, for you I will make an exception and have a Hire's Root Beer.
When not having a Hire's with the Cajunking,
I love Molson Ale and Kingfisher.
But being a poor boy, I normally drink Keystone Lite at $9.00 a case.
In the past I've been acquainted with the following which were okay to fine... (please excuse the spelling as I've had a few)
Old Milwaukee-bottled
Stroth's
Rolling Rock
Heinken
Moosehead
Red Dog
Foster's
New Castle
Pabst Blue Ribbon-I was very young
Carlise
Schlitz Malt Liquor
ahh and many more.
There are many good local made beers in my area, and
I enjoy the many ales at Chowning's Tavern in Williamsburg, Va.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 08:26:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
Heavy,
Bell's Hopslam? That's a new one on me! I ought to send a friend of mine looking for it in Asheville, North Carolina, where you can find nearly all of Bell's products... even some of the one-offs.

Don't bother sending your friend in Asheville to find Hopslam. Bell's is only distributing a limited number of their bottled beers in NC at this point - Amber, Kalamazoo Stout, Oberon, Winter White and maybe one or two others.

The reason for this is both that it is a new market for them and they didn't want to overwhelm it with product. Also, in NC, beers with an ABV over 6% need to have the ABV on the label, and Bell's will need to produce such labels if and when they introduce their bigger beers to the market.

We may see some of the bigger beers on tap, however, as the label issue does not come into account for draft beer.
brentk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 08:37:19 (permalink)
I'm finding this thread very interesting as the beers named, by and large, are all lager styles.

On other food boards that I frequent - egullet and chowhound - the list would be very different and a lover of Bud, Rolling Rock or even Shiner would be fending off the occasional drive-by insults. (Not that those boards are meaner as I have certainly seen the occasional insult fly around here.)

Clearly, Roadfood has more mainstream beer drinkers than those boards. I don't care for lagers but I believe that people should drink what they like so I wouldn't criticize people's choices.

But I'm curious as to whether folks around here have an awareness of the craft beer market and such styles as Russian Imperial Stout, Imperial IPA, Barleywine, Belgian Dubbel, etc., that craft brewers are producing.

Anyhow, to respond to the topic, my all time favorite beer is Alpine Exponential Hoppiness, a San Diego brew available only in draft. I've only tasted it a few times when I am in the area but it has left a memorable impression of extreme citrusy hoppiness on my tastebuds.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2602
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 10:08:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brentk

I'm finding this thread very interesting as the beers named, by and large, are all lager styles.

But I'm curious as to whether folks around here have an awareness of the craft beer market and such styles as Russian Imperial Stout, Imperial IPA, Barleywine, Belgian Dubbel, etc., that craft brewers are producing.

Brent - I am a fan of ales, too, especially IPAs. But I typically drink ales at brewpubs or purchase microbrews. There are so many interesting ales out there that I never seem to buy the same microbrew twice. I just don't remember the names anymore.

I generally stick with my tried and true lager choices, so I had a favorite ready to post.

Jim
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 10:22:24 (permalink)
FWIW, when out for an evening to a "beer" bar, that is a bar with perhaps a minimum of 12 tappers (draft lines for you non-Wisconsinite's), I'll try to sample all the available IPA's with a Russian Imperial Stout (my favorite Sprecher beer) to end the evening. In the Milwaukee area, I recommend stops at Roman's Pub in St. Francis http://www.romanspub.com/beersel.htm and Benno's in West Allis http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4171/?view=beerfly or http://members.tripod.com/bennosbar/home.html#thetop
Roman's has a curmudgeonly owner that is part of it's charm. Newcomers are sometimes sent to the bar to order a Miller, Bud or Leinenkugel just to amuse the old-timers with Mark's response. It also has a hand pulled beer engine for those foamy British ales.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 18:58:10 (permalink)
quote:

Davy,
Many, many thanks for the Surly link. I'd REALLY like to taste both of those canned products. I just wish I could travel, or else knew someone going to the Twin Cities who could glom some up for me!
Massively Curiously, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. We can obtain Oskar Blues Brewery's Dale's Pale Ale, Old Chub Scottish Style Ale, and Gordon Beer here in Athens. You might want to link to their website: www.oskarblues.com for more information.
Gee, maybe we can work up a trade... it's legal to send beer via Fed X, RPS, and UPS, the last time I heard... for analytical purposes, the law states! -- If enjoying it with a slightly criticial eye isn't analysis, nothing is!
desertdog
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 19:00:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:

Spaten Oktoberfest

Then you might enjoy this pic just a wee bit more than we do !!!

quote:

That's right! Spaten builds strong bodies twelve ways!

Hmmmmmm...a couple of which immediately come to mind.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 19:01:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by creek rat
My favorite is Champagne Velvet beer out of Terre Haute, Indiana. I always ask my son to bring back a couple cases with him when he comes home to visit.

Creek Rat,
That's an old brand that I thought was long defunct. I remember it well: "The beer with the million-dollar flavor," so the old signage read.
It hasn't been sold in these parts since sometime in the early 1960's.
My guess is that G. Heileman in LaCrosse, WI. (or someone else) has resurrected the brand.
Wonderingly, Ort. Carlton in Chilly Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 19:08:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65
I ordered a Fat Tire Ale and I found the hoppy flavor agreeable, but the yeastiness of the head turned me off. I have taken the tour at the New Belgiam Brewery and the beer or "ale" didn't exehibit the same yeasty flavor. Maybe it is the freshness of the product at the source....

Boyardee,
Yes, that is a factor, and so is how the beer is stored in its journey to Friday's -- and there as well!
Beer is more highly perishable than many people think. A lighter product will go skunky quicker than will a heavier one, and hoppy beers last far better than do mild-flavored ones. Hops act as a preservative in Fat Tire, but the wheat in the malt can cause the off-flavor you describe... and it might have been an old sample as well.
My suggestion would be for you to try Fat Tire on draught at another account (I am assuming that you were drinking it out of the bottle) and see if that pint of brew isn't more to your liking.
Hope this helps you.
Bulgingly UnBelgianly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/01/28 19:11:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brentk
I'm curious as to whether folks around here have an awareness of the craft beer market and such styles as Russian Imperial Stout, Imperial IPA, Barleywine, Belgian Dubbel, etc., that craft brewers are producing.

Brent,
Yup. I'll get to that in a minute or two... thank you, thank you for mentioning this sub-thread.
Hopping Along, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1