Your Favorite beer and why!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/23 00:03:12 (permalink)
Hefewiezen, by Pyramid or Widmer.

Oh yeah, why: It tastes so bready, yeasty crisp and fresh, especially with a squeeze of lemon, and isn't bitter like an ale. I don't do bitter.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/23 20:07:27 (permalink)

There was an on-going Sam Adams contest on the New York City station with Opie & Anthony,called "Sex For Sam" If you were willing to have sex in a public place and let it be broadcast, you would win Sam Adams Beer.

Wonder if this deal is retroactive ?
mrclean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/23 20:24:45 (permalink)
SOL
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/25 02:53:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

There was an on-going Sam Adams contest on the New York City station with Opie & Anthony,called "Sex For Sam" If you were willing to have sex in a public place and let it be broadcast, you would win Sam Adams Beer.

Wonder if this deal is retroactive ?

Yeah, I kind of heard about this contest too late. Don't any of you people like to share some good news??? I would gladly have sex in public for free beer as I have already done it in public for nothing!!
I don't see anything wrong with this promo. Where is the downside?

JMHO David O.
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/28 20:32:18 (permalink)
Favorite beer... Coors Light.
Why?????????? Tastes good.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6398
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/28 21:49:59 (permalink)
The beer in my fridge this week is Kansas City's own Boulevard Pale Ale. Most pale ales are generally from microbrewery's and tend to be good. This one is one of the better ones.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/28 22:00:42 (permalink)
Thanks to CSD working his cart in front of Milwaukee's Lakefront Brewery, I got a chance to try their new Cattail Ale. Nice and hoppy with a very clean, dry finish. This is a beer I really enjoy.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/29 04:52:13 (permalink)
I used to perform at Dogfish Head when I lived in Delaware. They paid o.k. but they were really generous with the beers...making sure I always had a full pint on stage and giving me a six pack sampler to take back to Wilmington. Sam and the boys are always pushing the envelope; some of their beers are downright wacky. 120 minute IPA? what's next? hop lozenges?
I lived in Boulder in the early 90's and used to love drinking pints at Walnut and the pub at the Rockies brewery.
Last spring I sat in the Rogue Brewhouse in Portland, OR. drinking a variety of great beer. Had a huge ploughman's platter of local cheeses and charcuterie along with some bread baked with Rogue ale...a bargain at 12 bucks. My favorite liquor store has a nice selection of the large format Rogues here in B.R. I love the Shakespeare Stout.
Whenever I visit my Dad up in Loudoun county VA. we always stop in at the Dominion Brewery. My dad was a wine guy for years but is completely nuts for their Oak Barrel Stout. They age the stuff in used bourbon casks but, as I understand it, they're having a hard time sourcing enough barrels and have, at least for the bottled version, resorted to using vanilla and oak chips. Still damn tasty. They also contract brew Tuppers' Hop Pocket ale and pils. The ale may get my vote for favorite brew. It is powerfully hoppy on the nose and in the finish but the hops are well integrated, unlike some "hop teas" I've tried. The San Diego uber IPA's are like drinking terpentine. It took the California wine makers a while to learn restraint, too. Hugely ripe fruit, high alcohol and tons of oak make a big impression but they were horrible with food and tiring to drink by themselves. There has been a move away from this style in California wine and I hope the "Extreme Beer Dudes" in SoCal eventually return to their senses and make something that doesn't taste like beer concentrate.
Speaking of which, Coors and Yuengling both brew a concentrate and add local water at the regional bottling plants. There was a time when people sought out Coors, they thought it was different than budmiller...the power of suggestion, boy. It's all the same backwash to me.
alright. just read my rambling post. gotta get to bed.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/29 13:45:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr. sausage

Speaking of which, Coors and Yuengling both brew a concentrate and add local water at the regional bottling plants. There was a time when people sought out Coors, they thought it was different than budmiller...the power of suggestion, boy. It's all the same backwash to me.

This is news to me. I don't know how you could do that. What is your source?
mr. sausage
Hamburger
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/03/30 03:33:22 (permalink)
The Coors thing I've known for a while now. It even says on cans of Coors Light something to the effect of "born in the rocky mountains and packaged in the shenandoah valley." It saves a lot of money to ship the concentrate and add water later on. The Yuengling dirty secret I learned from Jerry Bailey, ex-president of Dominion Brewery (ex as of this month, he just sold to AB and a Baltimore regional brewer) on one of my many visits to his wonderful northern Virginia facility.
And on the subject of Dominion and their fine beers, I hope Anheuser Busch doesn't screw them up. The new name, by the way, will be Coastal Brewing. If you've been to the brewery in Ashburn you know why that is worth at least a chuckle. I'm sure it tested well in focus groups, though...
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/04 20:33:37 (permalink)
BUDWEISER :
Because
U
Deserve
What
Every
Individual
Should
Enjoy
Regularly
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/06 07:35:36 (permalink)
My favorite is Anchor Steam, PORTER, this is a really good dark porter..
Blower
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/08 02:29:25 (permalink)
- Guinness
- Oberon (summertime)
- Grolsch

Anything with a ridiculous amount of hopps (especially areomatic ones) which leads me to a lot of IPA's

- I make a mean homebrewed stout

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/08 10:55:44 (permalink)
I can agree on the IPAs. They all seem to be fairly good. Right now I have Summit IPA in my fridge along with Big Hole Brewery Headstrong Ale and Tommyknocker Doppelbock Lager.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/12 10:53:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Blower

- Guinness
- Oberon (summertime)
- Grolsch

Anything with a ridiculous amount of hopps (especially areomatic ones) which leads me to a lot of IPA's

- I make a mean homebrewed stout

I love Guinness, and Grolsch was my first non-American beer. I loved the old swing-top bottles; when emptied, washed, and dried they make great bottles for homemade salad dressing.
RoyHarv
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/12 11:07:25 (permalink)
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, generally available for a few weeks starting just before Thanksgiving, is my favorite. Most years I buy a couple of cases and run out around the end of March.

Pilsner Urquell was my favorite for years, but it has serious problems with condition (like most beers in green glass) and they simplified the brewing process back in the early 1990's without quite preserving all the character.

My day to day beer is either Sierra Nevada (when I can get it on sale) or Long Trail (because it is on sale regularly around here). I enjoy just about any of small-brewery ales, though some IPAs go a bit far for me.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/12 21:01:44 (permalink)
Here's a thought. If a beer bottle still has a regular cap and not a twist off cap then maybe you can believe the brewer still cares. Not always the case but often.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/23 01:35:46 (permalink)
quote:

The Coors thing I've known for a while now. It even says on cans of Coors Light something to the effect of "born in the rocky mountains and packaged in the shenandoah valley." It saves a lot of money to ship the concentrate and add water later on. The Yuengling dirty secret I learned from Jerry Bailey, ex-president of Dominion Brewery (ex as of this month, he just sold to AB and a Baltimore regional brewer) on one of my many visits to his wonderful northern Virginia facility.
And on the subject of Dominion and their fine beers, I hope Anheuser Busch doesn't screw them up. The new name, by the way, will be Coastal Brewing. If you've been to the brewery in Ashburn you know why that is worth at least a chuckle. I'm sure it tested well in focus groups, though...
Sorry, Coors is only shipped as a whole unit!! Rocky Mountain spring water ONLY!!! That is their trademark. Not only that, it is also one of the only beers that are kept refrigerated from the time they are bottled until delivery. That is one of the reasons that you couldn't get it east of the Mississippi River as it was too costly to ship cold and Coors would not let the product be shipped warm. Budweiser is mixed locally but not Coors. Please recheck your sources again as I am sure that you are wrong!

David O.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/24 17:09:49 (permalink)
Coors brews a stronger version and adds water on site. I've known this for years. My source? I just did a cursory internet search and found a piece from the Rocky Mountain News confirming it. You sound like you're defending Coors. I can't imagine why.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/24 19:23:02 (permalink)
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/24 20:54:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

quote:

Sorry, Coors is only shipped as a whole unit!! Rocky Mountain spring water ONLY!!! That is their trademark. Not only that, it is also one of the only beers that are kept refrigerated from the time they are bottled until delivery. That is one of the reasons that you couldn't get it east of the Mississippi River as it was too costly to ship cold and Coors would not let the product be shipped warm. Budweiser is mixed locally but not Coors. Please recheck your sources again as I am sure that you are wrong!

David O.

David O, man I hate to be rude, but this could very well be the most incorrect post I have ever read on here. Virtually everything you say is incorrect.

1.Coors is not only shipped as a whole unit. (see above article)

2. Coors does NOT only use only " Rocky Mountain Water ", they have been brewing in Virginia since the mid 80's, and also have a brewery in Tenn.

3. The shipping cold bit is so wrong as to almost be amusing, and certainly had nothing to do with its availability in the 70's. Where did you ever hear such a thing ? Coors beer is shipped just like every other beer, ask any bartender or beer distributor.

Cheers, Jack
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/27 15:25:53 (permalink)
Lazy Magnolia Brewery in Kiln , MS (home of Brett Favre) ia putting out some really good products. I especially like Blue Heron. You can find them at lazymagnolia.com
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/27 20:04:32 (permalink)
Right now I am drinking an August Schell FireBrick all malt Vienna style lager.
911mom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/27 21:17:04 (permalink)
Any beer made by the Ithaca Beer Company but especially Partly Sunny. This is a great interpretation of a Belgian Witbier. A couple of fresh, ice cold growlers right out of their taps at the brewery and believe me, life doesn't get much better!
www.ithacabeer.com
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/27 22:20:36 (permalink)
I must admit I was wrong on point 3 in my above post. I spoke to the local beer distributor,and he said the Coors brewed in Colorado is still shipped from the brewery cold. He found it rather amusing however, as he said that hardly any of the distributors store it cold,and most of the retailers dont store it cold, so whats the point ?? ( doesnt really matter to me, I dont drink the stuff)

The Coors brewed in VA is not shipped cold, however.

Anyway, I apologize for accusing another poster of being wrong, when in fact on one point it was me who was wrong.

Cheers
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/04/29 02:01:09 (permalink)
plenty of good beer up here in seattle, but lately i've become rather fond of 2 beers from the south: arrogant bastard ale from stone brewing in california, and dead guy ale from rogue ales in oregon. both are very dark, both are very tasty :) both are also 7%..
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/05/26 10:00:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marzsit

plenty of good beer up here in seattle, but lately i've become rather fond of 2 beers from the south: arrogant bastard ale from stone brewing in california, and dead guy ale from rogue ales in oregon. both are very dark, both are very tasty :) both are also 7%..

nice picks! both breweries make some great products.

for those imperial stout fans...here are my two picks for today. i was hoping to find an older rogue but 2006 was all that was available in my area right now. if you haven't had the oak aged yeti you are missing out.

Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/05/26 10:21:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joanie41

I'm another woman who loves beer. Always have, according to my parents, who said I used to ask for sips back when I was a toddler!

Having said that, I'm not very sophisticated. Around here, it's usually a Yuengling draft or a wheat beer. And last weekend, someone bought me a PBR draft and it tasted surprisingly good.

One thing I don't like is room-temp beers. I really want it cold, cold, cold. I know that Europeans would disagree with that, but if it's not cold, it tastes yucky to me!

Joanie,
Here are a couple of places that my wife and I like to frequent in our area that have a large selection of beers (both on tap and bottles/cans).

Max's on Broadway in Fells Point.
Max's Beer List
http://www.maxs.com/beerlist.php

Kclinger's in Hanover, PA.
39 Taps, 2 Handpumps and over 600 bottle/can selections. Here's the Tap list for a past week
http://www.kclingers.com/#

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/05/26 18:28:32 (permalink)
Does someone have confirmation that Yuengling ships concentrate to its other plants? I toured the original brewery on the side of a hill surrounded by private houses in Pottsville, PA. I didn't see any signs of concentrate being shipped.

The only thing they don't brag about is that they now have three breweries. There is one in Port Carbon, PA they built from the ground up. It is only a few miles from Pottsville. The problem is that there is no room to expand the original brewery in Pottsville. They also bought a brewery in Tampa, Florida from Stroh. That Tampa brewery was a Schlitz brewery before that. Since the Tampa brewery was self sufficient, there is no reason they couldn't produce beer from scratch there.

Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/05/26 18:45:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Beer&Snausages
Kclinger's in Hanover, PA.
39 Taps, 2 Handpumps and over 600 bottle/can selections. Here's the Tap list for a past week
http://www.kclingers.com/#

In fact we stopped in tonight at Kclingers and I had the Blue Point Sour Cherry Stout, Corsendonk Brown and the Bell's Brown Ale on draught. My wife had the Blue Point Cherry Stout and a Chimay White.

Counted up my drafts and bottles we've had at Kclingers in the past couple of years and I'm sitting at 326 different beers. I've had some mighty fine beers there over the years. Among my favorites styles are Porters, Stouts (Imperials, Oatmeals, Chocolates, Milks & Creams) RauchBiers, Lambics and IPAs.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1