Your Favorite beer and why!

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/05/30 23:02:01 (permalink)
I recently tried the Rhoades' Scholar Stout from[url='http://www.southshorebrewery.com/products/index.html']South Shore Brewery[/url] and was very favorably impressed. To my uncultured palate it falls somewhere between an oatmeal stout and Guinness.

Brad
UrbanSpaceman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/07 09:58:53 (permalink)
Son of a... this might take a while.

-Guinness: my default chain GOOD beer, always better from the tap (this is the case with any brew though). Especially good on cold winter nights. One of my favorite Guinness memories was enjoying a couple of pints in a Dublin bar while watching traditional Irish dancing/music. Can't get much better than that.

-Corona: a good, light, summertime beer - always better with the lime. This is more my "activity" beer, aka if I'm in a crowded bar or club and don't want to be bogged down by something heavier. I've heard people claim that Dos Equis is better, and that is a good beer in and of itself, but Corona has just the right amount of lightness for my tastes.

-Blue Moon: great, fruity wheat beer. As with Corona, having the fruit (in this case, orange slice) with the pint is an essential. Recommended for those who like sweet beers, or those who don't usually go for a Mike's Hard Lemonade instead of beer. For me at least, this is the best beer to have with food (particularly chicken wings).

-Hebrew Ale (get it?): ok, it was more of a gimmick beer for me at first. It's grown on me since, though. Goes down smooth with a great aftertaste. Lchaim.

-Killian's Red: nice middle of the road texture to it. This one just brings back fond memories for me since it's one of the main beers I drank during college, along with Pilsner Urquell. It's not spectacular, but it's not crap either.

-Samuel Smith Taddy Porter: richer than Guinness. 'Nuff said.

-Chimay Red: pretty good. Kind of has an herby flavor to it, though I haven't had it enough times to give it a fair rating... usually because it's so damn expensive.

Those are a few, anyways. You will NEVER, EVER NEVER, NEVER EVER, EVER NEVER hear me praise the great taste of anything such as Natural Light, Keystone, Coors, or any other horse-piss water passing as "beer." I consider these and similar types to be "utility beer", aka ONLY good for drinking games like beer pong, flip cup, etc. The only slight exception I'll make is for Bud Light, and I'll only have that if there's a special on it in the bar I'm watching the game in.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/16 15:46:03 (permalink)
The fact that they bought the Florida brewery and built another would suggest they no longer need to brew a concentrate. As of three years ago (again, according to Jerry Bailey)they were diluting on site because their original brewery was tiny and they had made the decision to greatly increase their distribution area. Either way, I find their beers pretty ordinary.
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

Does someone have confirmation that Yuengling ships concentrate to its other plants? I toured the original brewery on the side of a hill surrounded by private houses in Pottsville, PA. I didn't see any signs of concentrate being shipped.

The only thing they don't brag about is that they now have three breweries. There is one in Port Carbon, PA they built from the ground up. It is only a few miles from Pottsville. The problem is that there is no room to expand the original brewery in Pottsville. They also bought a brewery in Tampa, Florida from Stroh. That Tampa brewery was a Schlitz brewery before that. Since the Tampa brewery was self sufficient, there is no reason they couldn't produce beer from scratch there.

unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/16 17:23:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

I have recently fallen in love with Samual Adams Boston Lager! What an aromatic and heady beer. It has a fullness and mouth feel like no other beer I've had. So.... whats your favorite and why?

Yuengling Lager
budweiser
hate coors light tastes like water
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6328
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/16 22:11:10 (permalink)
Beer is not beer IMHO unless it is barley, hops, yeast and water. Budweiser, therefore, is not beer.

Also there should be a transformation in the human body of what goes in and what comes out. That disqualifies a lot of so called beers.
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/16 22:27:13 (permalink)
Tonight my wife and I a couple of our Dive Shop friends headed up to Kclingers in Hanover. The 3 beers that I had off of the tap list tonight were a Brooklyn Summer Ale, a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and a Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/16 23:25:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd
Beer is not beer IMHO unless it is barley, hops, yeast and water.
No pork tenderloin?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/17 15:01:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:
Beer is not beer IMHO unless it is barley, hops, yeast and water.
No pork tenderloin?

Not in my beer.

Right now I am in my summer beer mode and buying for my boat. That means cans and that means Leinenkugel's Original brewed with the same recipe by five generations of Leinenkugels.

http://www.leinie.com/original.html
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/17 15:18:24 (permalink)
Hello All.

Female with credentials: I used to work at Dock Street Brewery in Philly back when they brewed great beer on site (I left a while back, curious if it is still any good!). I live in England now, and have - at different times - for almost 6 yrs, been drinking only real ale. So hopefully I have educated taste buds. (My favorite local here in Oxford does 8-10 real ales on tap at a time!)

Beer prefs depend a lot on what your own buds like. That said I am a bitter and darker drinker... usually.

I saw one tiny post that mentioned my all time favorite: Old Peculier. Props to Efeury for the mention. I have been searching for it on tap for many years (or at least checking every pub I enter...!) and FINALLY FINALLY last weeek found it at the Roundhouse in Covent Garden while I was in London.

Also did not manage to find ANY mention of my favorite lager-style beer: Carlsberg's Elephant. Strong but yummy. Try it next time you spot it in your local beverage supplier!

p.s. agree with all the Leinenkugel's posts, like their darker stuff.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/22 15:07:55 (permalink)
I understand the point you're making about Bud being brewed with adjuncts but I can't let you slide on the sweeping generalization about what constitutes beer. Ever drink a hefe or wit? Both brewed with wheat, the latter traditionally flavored with coriander and bitter orange. There are lots of other examples but you see my point. By the way, I see you're stocking summer quaffers for your boat-if you get any of the Oskar Blues beers from Colorado there in Minnesota, try 'em. They're all available in cans as are the beers from Surly Brewing in your home state. Cheers
quote:

Beer is not beer IMHO unless it is barley, hops, yeast and water. Budweiser, therefore, is not beer.

Also there should be a transformation in the human body of what goes in and what comes out. That disqualifies a lot of so called beers.
cd348
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/22 15:45:29 (permalink)
Stuttgarter Hofbrau and Corona. I still have a soft spot in my heart for San Miguel also, probably from the time I spent in SEA. Never, never drink Coors that mass produced pretend beer. Coors, yech! Blech!
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1459
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/22 17:11:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cd348

Stuttgarter Hofbrau and Corona. I still have a soft spot in my heart for San Miguel also, probably from the time I spent in SEA. Never, never drink Coors that mass produced pretend beer. Coors, yech! Blech!

Funny that you should mention San Miguel as I carry that brand at my job. I work at an American Legion Post in Wickenburg AZ an alot of the guys that spent time in the Pacific remember it fondly! We carry the lager, dark and the lite versions. It's not a big seller but we do carry it.

Good eating and good drinking!!!

David O.
Buckshot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/22 17:30:02 (permalink)
Here's some of my favorites:

Shiner Bock
Fat Tire
Blue Moon
Tsingtao (found it in China about 7 years ago)
Corona
Killian's Red
Sam Adams
Beer brewed by Calhoun's on the River in Knoxville, TN

Lots of good beer to choose from!

Buckshot
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2007/06/22 19:40:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr. sausage

I understand the point you're making about Bud being brewed with adjuncts but I can't let you slide on the sweeping generalization about what constitutes beer. Ever drink a hefe or wit? Both brewed with wheat, the latter traditionally flavored with coriander and bitter orange. There are lots of other examples but you see my point. By the way, I see you're stocking summer quaffers for your boat-if you get any of the Oskar Blues beers from Colorado there in Minnesota, try 'em. They're all available in cans as are the beers from Surly Brewing in your home state. Cheers.
quote:

I'm mostly disappointed with the Americanization of beer that actually started way back in the 1870s because Americans adopted a lighter taste that continued right down to the latter light beers. I'm very familiar with the wheat beers but I am not fond of them. I haven't seen an Oskar Blue in Minnesota. Surly's is in very limited supply. Most of it is going to the bars. There is probably no reason I can't take bottles on my boat. It is just that bottles are more cumbersome in a cooler. My wife always hauls a bottle of wine on board. At home I drink mostly Schell's, Summit, Boddington's and Guinness. I like to vary the type of brew and will grab an extra six pack of bottles from all the microbrews.
Shaun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2008/04/25 06:28:34 (permalink)
An ice cold Dos Equis Amber in a frozen glass with a slice of lime squeezed in and just a touch of salt is one of my favorite thirst quenchers. Whenever I eat at a mexican restraunt, this is my drink!

Rogue HazelNut Brown Nectar is one of my favorite treat beers, rich and nutty, but only 1 or 2 of these, pretty high alcohol content! Probably hard to find unless you live in the NW like me.

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock is a great beer, hard to find around here though, I found a bottle in a specialty beer store and wish I would have bought more of it.

There is nothing wrong with Sam Adams, it's a good round the house drinking beer. It sure does beat the hell out of the beer flavored waters out there.

I DO NOT like skunky beers like Corona, New Castle Brown Ale, Heiniken, Mgd. Apparently when beers are put into clear or light green bottles, the ultraviolet light attack and breaks down the isohumulones in the hops. This is what leads to the offensive skunky taste and odor. No wonder people put lime in their Corona's lol. And actually if you like the basic taste of Corona without the skunkiness, try a Pacifico, it's the same beer, just protected in a dark brown bottle
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2008/09/03 15:24:22 (permalink)
Amen to the comment about fruit and beer not mixing.

My favorite is Schoenling's Little Kings Ale from Cincinnati.
Joedog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 194
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/06 19:59:05 (permalink)
Tuckermans pale ale. Its brewed in North Conway and it is a gift from the gods.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/06 20:36:17 (permalink)
Davydd

Call it what you want, but draft Bud suuuuure goes well with Mexican food.

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/06 20:40:45 (permalink)
This is my latest find. Why I like it: Locally-brewed wheat beer with the tang of locally-grown oranges. I normally don't like fruity beers, but citrus and hefeweizen complement each other.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6202
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/06 21:24:33 (permalink)
Don't have a favorite...great Micro brews now are like great wines...half the fun is in the discovery of another gem....I love the search for another find!!!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/06 21:57:16 (permalink)
I like Newcastle Nut Brown Ale.  It's an English beer--mainly because it has a touch of sweetness to it.  Some people can't detect it, but I can.

As for American beers, there might be some microbrewery out there that will appeal to me, but as far as mass-produced beers in this country, all of them taste like slop to me.

The only exception to that rule was Stroh's.  Now long gone.  Maybe because it was fire-brewed, but for some reason it tasted a lot better than any of the commercial products.  I could get a can of it down the gullet and not vomit later.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/07 14:29:07 (permalink)
I try to keep a stock of Shiner Boch here at home. I like it, and I feel a link to my Czech Heritage thru the Texan Czechs !  Must be the Texas water, since I reall don't care for Pilsner Urquell.

Mass-produced? I do appreciate Mic's Amber Bock when a cold beer is available.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6202
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/07 14:39:40 (permalink)
The only mass produced beer I'll drink is Yuengling...On tap it's quite good.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/07 18:45:31 (permalink)
I don't drink so much as I used to, simply because I work two jobs and don't have that much social time. However, my all-time favorite has always been Molson Ice. I always liked the taste of it. Sometimes at dinner, depending on the meal, I might order a Hoegaarden. I think it's just delicious. Unfortunately I'm certain they don't even brew it over there anymore.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/07 20:26:17 (permalink)
Joedog

Tuckermans pale ale. Its brewed in North Conway and it is a gift from the gods.

Good stuff.

I love the brewing scene up here in VT, NH, and ME.  We have a lot of breweries for our small populations.

Speaking of VT, anyone else going to the VT Brewers Festival in a week and a half?
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/07 20:42:43 (permalink)
With Mexican Food Tecate
Pizza I like Peroni
Sapporo with Sushi
I really loved Strohs when I was young but it just isn't the same today.
Strohs Bock was good also.
I always have a few Modelos in thr fridge.

How about a Coors in a Pop Top Can?

...Russ

DRoty
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/07/07 22:02:40 (permalink)
My current favorite is the Ranger IPA from New Belgium Brewing Company. On a really hot day I enjoy a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy or a Corona. If I need something cheap and in mass quantity I'll pick up a case of Miller Lite... Then there's the Rock Bottom beers, particularly the chocolate stout, which is mighty tasty.. The list goes on and on..
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Your Favorite beer and why! 2010/08/17 15:00:36 (permalink)
I was lucky enough to take the tour of Anchor Steam brewery a few weeks ago.  Met Mr. Fritz Maytag an excellent gentleman.
Tried about 7 brews, even the anniversary Humming. 

In two words my favorite is Old Foghorn........Nectar of the Gods!
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1