The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Your First Album

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 105
EdSails

• Total Posts: 3576
RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/10/06 8:33 PM (permalink)
Uriah Heep? "Easy Livin" Great tune!

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
    RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/10/06 8:35 PM (permalink)
    i have the Nazz red lp

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 12:43 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by xannie_01

another thread reminded me of buying my first album..
      Sgt Pepper
      what was yours?

The first piece of "furniture" my parents bought was a console "hi-fi" (years before I was born), so I grew up listening to a lot of vinyl like Sam Cooke, Roger Miller, Webb Pierce, Dean Martin, and other things.

I had accumulated a lot of 45's, but the first 33 album I bought and paid for myself was Abbey Road.

Bushie

RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 9:32 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by xannie_01

i have the Nazz red lp

Todd has always been in the top 5 of my music "heros".

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
          RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
          Todd included a post card in "A Wizard, A True Star" and asked fans to fill it out and return it, promising to "do something" with the names.

He took them all and used them to make a poster of his face, which he included in the "Todd" album. I can still find my name on it, along with several of my buddies' names.

Bushie

RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 5:45 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Niagara

Todd included a post card in "A Wizard, A True Star" and asked fans to fill it out and return it, promising to "do something" with the names.

He took them all and used them to make a poster of his face, which he included in the "Todd" album. I can still find my name on it, along with several of my buddies' names.

I remember that poster. I used to have one, but that's one of those things that got lost in some move many years ago.

My name wasn't on it; I think I may have purchased "Wizard" after "Todd" was released, but I really don't remember.

They don't make 'em like Todd anymore...

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
              RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
              -Years Ago by the Statler Brothers. Are there any Statler Brothers fans out there? They are my favorite. I grew up in a very strict religious home- Wesleyan Methodist, and we weren't allowed to listen to any music other than albums made by the church. When I was about 15, a friend bought me a Statler Brothers album- The Best of the Statler Brothers Rides Again, Vol II. Amazingly enough, my parents let me keep it, and even listen to it! I loved their music, and soon bought more. Today, I have app 30 of their CDs, and several DVDs, including their Farewell Concert. My wife bought me one of Don Reid's (The lead singer) books- You Know It's Christmas When... for Christmas, and even managed to get Don to sign it along w/ a short note. COOL!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 7:16 PM (permalink)
                Uriah Heep? Been there...

Bushie

RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 10:22 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by bbqjimbob

-Years Ago by the Statler Brothers. Are there any Statler Brothers fans out there? They are my favorite. I grew up in a very strict religious home- Wesleyan Methodist, and we weren't allowed to listen to any music other than albums made by the church. When I was about 15, a friend bought me a Statler Brothers album- The Best of the Statler Brothers Rides Again, Vol II. Amazingly enough, my parents let me keep it, and even listen to it! I loved their music, and soon bought more. Today, I have app 30 of their CDs, and several DVDs, including their Farewell Concert. My wife bought me one of Don Reid's (The lead singer) books- You Know It's Christmas When... for Christmas, and even managed to get Don to sign it along w/ a short note. COOL!

I always liked the Statlers, jimbo.

buffetbuster

RE: Your First Album Fri, 08/11/06 11:07 PM (permalink)
                    soozycue520-
                    Of course, Buddy Holly plays a prominent role in the song, but that only scratches the surface. Check out this site as an example:

http://oldies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.understandingamericanpie.com

There are many other similar sites on the web, each with their own interpretation.

bbqjimbob

RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 2:01 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
                      Originally posted by bbqjimbob

I always liked the Statlers, jimbo.

Cool- good to hear! If you don't know about it- you might enjoy their website: http://thestatlerbrothers.com/

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                        RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 9:04 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by ellen4641

I love and have both the Frampton Comes Alive and Tommy , the Who albums...

does'nt get any better than Pinball Wizard, does it?

and Tommy can you hear me?!?

I remember seeing the musical Tommy when it first came out on Broadway in the 70's

Peter Frampton is now a suburban dad in Cincinnati. He lives in Indian Hill, a seriously upscale neighborhood, with his wife and kids. There was an article about him in this morning's Cincinnati Enquirer with an updated photo. Long gone are the flowing locks. Below is a link to the article:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060812/LIFE/608120323/1086

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                          RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 9:32 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Big Dave

I think one of the first albums I bought on my own was one of Peter, Paul and Mary's.

The first album I bought with my allowance was the first Peter, Paul, and Mary album. After that, it was everything by the Beatles. I'd buy the Beatles albums the day they hit the racks. My first eight-track was "Breakfast in America" by Supertramp.

I bought cassette tapes for the player in my old VW Rabbit. Stuff like "Let it Bleed" and "Exile on Main Street", but also Motown compilations. We lived in a neighborhood where kids would regularly go through cars at night looking for stuff to steal. You'd just leave your car unlocked to avoid having your window broken. Whenever I could tell that my car had been searched (door left leaning in the frame), I'd find all my cassettes neatly stacked on the floor. Nobody else wanted 'em.

acornlover

RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 7:17 PM (permalink)
                            It is interesting to read all the different responses to this album question, you can see somewhat the age of a person. Plus, you all are way beyond me, such wonderful interests and experiences!

As I have said in another post, my parents did not let me listen to any popular music, and being as it was their stereo (a really bad one at that, never had a needle that worked), I was a bit behind in the popular music thing.

I did buy a 45 for music class, really, we had to do an analysis of the lyrics- "No Time Left for You" by ??? you see? I am still clueless.

My dad brought home from a conference a free "Tapestry" album by Carole King (I still LOVE her) and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by S&G so I guess they were my first, a CCR album was there too
                            I grew up listening to Tom Leher (sp?) and barbershop, man, kinda sad [|)]

I have made sure my kids explore all music ,and I must say, I highly enjoy what they listen to.

Rant over

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
                              RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 7:33 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by acornlover

I did buy a 45 for music class, really, we had to do an analysis of the lyrics- "No Time Left for You" by ??? you see? I am still clueless.

The Guess Who.

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                                RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by felix4067

quote:

The Guess Who.

Who's on first?

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                                  RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                  First concert besides teen garage bands was Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

But of the 200+ I've seen (Stones, Dead, Elvis, Beach Boys, Floyd, Zepp) they all pale in comparison to seeing Springsteen Live in concert. I've seen him close to 50 times, some as long as a 5+hour marathons, its just his band, with no opening act. I've seen shows with 6-7 after a 4 hour show some encores while the roadies are tearing down the stage.

Once you've seen his smaller intimate shows, as opposed to the later stadium shows it's no comparison.

semperfimom

• Total Posts: 29
                                    RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                    My first album was The Smothers Brothers at The Purple Onion. Does that count?

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                      RE: Your First Album Sat, 08/12/06 10:11 PM (permalink)
                                      yeah it does, semperfimom..
                                      and welcome to roadfood!!

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                        RE: Your First Album Sun, 08/13/06 2:47 AM (permalink)
                                        Hello All,
                                        Semperfimom, I have a Smother Brothers album and of course it counts. The Purple Onion, ahhh, far out. It
                                        was a legendary place to visit for this poor, country boy from Va.. I never made it there except through albums.
                                        I have one of Pat Paulsens playing at the Ice House.
                                        Bbqjimbob, I live about 20some miles from Staunton, Va., the home of the Statler Brothers. Every 4th of July they would give a free concert at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton until they retired. I have a few of their vinyl
                                        albums that I inherited from my Dad. My hope is one day that their harmonies will be be appreciated by music
                                        historians as well as by the public.
                                        Take Care,
                                        Fieldthistle

bbqjimbob

RE: Your First Album Sun, 08/13/06 3:15 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                                          Semperfimom, I have a Smother Brothers album and of course it counts. The Purple Onion, ahhh, far out. It
                                          was a legendary place to visit for this poor, country boy from Va.. I never made it there except through albums.
                                          I have one of Pat Paulsens playing at the Ice House.
                                          Bbqjimbob, I live about 20some miles from Staunton, Va., the home of the Statler Brothers. Every 4th of July they would give a free concert at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton until they retired. I have a few of their vinyl
                                          albums that I inherited from my Dad. My hope is one day that their harmonies will be be appreciated by music
                                          historians as well as by the public.
                                          Take Care,
                                          Fieldthistle

>Every 4th of July they would give a free concert at Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton until they retired.
                                          I have a DVD of one (I believe it's of their last such concert) of those concerts- The Statler's Happy Birthday, USA! Actually, they stopped doing the Fourth of July concerts in 1989, I believe it was.

>My hope is one day that their harmonies will be be appreciated by music historians as well as by the public.

AMEN, brother! (Or sister) Sorry, I'm not sure of your gender- I guess I'm too new here to know that.

EDITED- "Poor country boy" DUH!!- I guess it was too late last night when I posted this, or perhaps it was the beverages I had consumed, but I somehow missed the country boy part! Sorry about that!

Their harmony and talent is certainly deserving of the appreciation and notoriety that seems to have eluded them! They somehow seemed to slip just under the radar of the recognition and awards that they certainly deserved! They won awards time and again that were voted on by the fans, but when it came to the awards voted on by the country music association's "powers that be", they got skipped over far too many times!

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                            RE: Your First Album Tue, 08/15/06 2:17 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by buffetbuster

soozycue520-
                                            Of course, Buddy Holly plays a prominent role in the song, but that only scratches the surface. Check out this site as an example:

http://oldies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.understandingamericanpie.com

There are many other similar sites on the web, each with their own interpretation.

buffetbuster~~

Oops!!

I guess I am ignorant !!

Ingnorance is not the same as stupidity ~ I can still learn!!

Thanks for the info!!

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
                                              RE: Your First Album Wed, 08/16/06 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                              First concert Kiss (last tour before taking the makeup off) opening act Night Ranger, Feb. 1982.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                                RE: Your First Album Wed, 08/16/06 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                                Bobby "Blue" Bland - Two Steps From the Blues
                                                [img]http://f5c.yahoofs.com/shopping/3067426/simg_t_oe60296h6var.jpg?rm_____DB.Zb8ZcP[/img]

buffetbuster

RE: Your First Album Wed, 08/16/06 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  soozycue520-
                                                  Thanks for checking out the site. Nah, you aren't ignorant. You just didn't have to do a term paper on it! I still love when "American Pie" comes on the radio. Not because of some hidden meaning behind it, I just think it is a really fun song to sing!

As for a good musical mystery, I am much more interested in who was the subject/target in Carly Simon's "You're So Vain". The experts say it is most likely Warren Beatty, but as far as I know, Ms. Simon has never revealed who the person is.

NAAMikey

• Total Posts: 193
                                                    • Location: Hopewell Junction, NY
                                                    RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/17/06 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    As for the subject of "you're So Vain", there are a few ideas about that. Warren Beatty is one, James Taylor in another seeing as though they were once married. Mick Jagger is a third, but he sings background vocals on the song, so maybe not. Supposedly Ms. Simon told one person and they are not telling. I refer you to a book I saw the other day about music and lyric and rumors in the music industry. I'm not sure about the title but it goes something like this:" Is the Elton John song' Tiny Dancer about Elton's _____. I don't know if this is appropriate for the site. If not, the powers that be may delete it. It was an interesting book though!!
                                                    Mike

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                                                      • Location: Las Cruces, NM
                                                      RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/17/06 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      "Absolutely Live" by the Doors.

Doatsie82

• Total Posts: 205
                                                        • Location: San Diego, CA
                                                        RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/17/06 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                                        First album - the soundtrack to the movie American Grafitti

First tapes (of eihter genre) - have no idea

First CD - Melissa Ehteridge...Man that girl can rock!

acornlover

RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/17/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by felix4067

quote:

The Guess Who.

Thanks felix, ya see what I mean?

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                                            • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                            RE: Your First Album Thu, 08/17/06 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by buffetbuster

soozycue520-
                                                            Thanks for checking out the site. Nah, you aren't ignorant. You just didn't have to do a term paper on it! I still love when "American Pie" comes on the radio. Not because of some hidden meaning behind it, I just think it is a really fun song to sing!

As for a good musical mystery, I am much more interested in who was the subject/target in Carly Simon's "You're So Vain". The experts say it is most likely Warren Beatty, but as far as I know, Ms. Simon has never revealed who the person is.

Don't know about "You're so Vain", but have heard her say in an interview that she wrote "Anticipation" while waiting for Cat Stevens to pick her up for a first date. Wow, how times, and things, change!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 105

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com