Your Recipes NEEDED

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 19:29:54 (permalink)
I spent some more time at Mama's Kitchen today. Real nice Diana! I hope these recipes help.

My new years fix was a new Texas take on Hoppin John. Just black eyed peas, ham, onions, okra, tomatoes, and jalapenos . I called it Hoppin Papa. I know this is not in recipe form but use it as you like. I just had a bowl and it got better after sitting in tha fridge.
Joe
writeitup
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 19:35:40 (permalink)
Thanks PapaJoe.

I sure work hard at that site.

And I have been inspired to yet another page on the Super Bowl by this group, in particular that Jambalaya recipe. No end to the Super Bowl. Not sure my idea is going to work, but it might. Anything to do with a party is fun and GOOD-NATURED rivalry is the best. Note the caps.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 19:52:18 (permalink)
It for sure won't work if you don't try it! I can tell that allot of work has gone into your site. Best of luck in the new year! And happy Super Bowl!

Now for more roadfooder recipes.
Joe
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 20:14:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I spent some more time at Mama's Kitchen today. Real nice Diana! I hope these recipes help.

My new years fix was a new Texas take on Hoppin John. Just black eyed peas, ham, onions, okra, tomatoes, and jalapenos . I called it Hoppin Papa. I know this is not in recipe form but use it as you like. I just had a bowl and it got better after sitting in tha fridge.
Joe

My & spouse's meal very similar, PJ. We had some fresh cornbread with blackeyed peas (w/onion & jalepeno), some GLORY greens, and some Hormel "Cure 81" ham slices. Simple, but very good.

--Joe DK--
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8497
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 20:18:56 (permalink)
I made the best dinner tonight-black beans,corn,onions,jalapenos,hamburger,and sharp cheddar cheese-then with a topping of cornbread...absolutely wonderful
writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 20:24:45 (permalink)
Hey PapJoe*
I see you're from Texas. I'm in NYC and went to Texas for the first time in my life this summer. I was in Fredericksburg and Austin. Fine eating, even a couple of really astouding places, but best of all, did I love the people. I left wishing I could cover the whole state.

Didn't like that they all talked about rattlesnakes, though. And one fellow told me about being "bit in the butt" by a copperhead. I was afraid to sit down anywhere after that story." />
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 20:55:42 (permalink)
My Finest Chili (expensive) (no beans, sorry):

3lbs beef brisket cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 cubanelle pepper chopped
3 tbs olive oil
1/2 lb ground pork
1 tbs cumin
5 tbs chili powder
1/4 tsp oregano
6 garlic chopped
1 large onion chopped
1 tsp dry mustard
1 small can plain tomato sauce
1 cup canned whole tomatoes
1 small can chopped mild green chilis
1 small can chopped HOT green chilis
1 beef bouillion packet
2 tsp brown sugar
1 can beer
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup tequila

To make this chili, saute in a large frying pan, then transfer the sauteed in a large pot:

In pan, with olive oil, saute beef till brown. Transfer.
Saute onion, cubanell pepper, garlic till soft. Transfer.
Saute pork. Drain. Transfer.
NOW in the large pot, add all else bring to boil, simmer on VERY LOW and cook 3-4 hours.
I like it just with white rice, topped with fresh chopped onions, maybe some cheddar or some sour cream. Some like it with just saltine crackers.
Best with lots of cold beer and football.

writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/02 21:06:52 (permalink)
You are not only a fabulous oyster, you are a fabulous chili maker. That looks astounding.Thank you
fabulousoyster
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 09:19:40 (permalink)
You are welcome!
I forgot to add, if it starts to get dry from simmering for 3 hours, add beer. You could add water, but I like the beer!
Its cold in NY, this chili is great when everyone is inside watching the game.

For dessert I usually put out a pie, brownies and some ice cream. This year I want to get a nice lemon meringue pie from the bakery.
writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 09:28:34 (permalink)
Wow, you do the whole thing. Can I come? I'll root for whichever team you want!

That chili is driving me mad. I MUST make it. I think it's the booze in there that is attracting me. I love the kick it gives food.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 10:24:42 (permalink)
Writeitup, glad you liked Texas! Lots of friendly folks here. And yes, great food in the central Texas area. You must come back and take in the rest of the state. About the snakes, just stay in the city, and on the sidewalk. They are easy to see that way.

Fab, the booze of three nations combined forces to make your chili, sounds great!
Joe
writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 10:35:47 (permalink)
Easy to see the snakes!
My god, that is just what I don't want.

But, oh that good food. And those amazing people. Real individualists in a wonderful way. I met a ton of people who tossed away degrees in order to pursue what they really wanted. I admire that a lot. And I loved the farmers. They lived real lives, again doing what they loved. Very impressive. And I sure would like to see the rest, but that's one big piece of land.
fabulousoyster
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 11:13:43 (permalink)
Thank you Papa. That is chili for a crowd, remember 3lbs of beef brisket cut into 1/4 inch pieces isn't fun. I have the butcher cut it into inch pieces and then I cut each inch piece into 4.
Your heart really has to be in this to make it, if you know what I mean, it takes time.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 12:13:13 (permalink)
Fab, the butchers do stew meat that is about like what you discribe. I guess they could do a briket the same way. I am assuming it is a trimed brisket? Yes, that would save allot of work if they could. I used to have whole serloin slabs coarse ground for chili but I also like the cubed meats.

Writeitup, all in fun. Stay in the city and odds are you will never see a snake. But... far better to see one than to step on it!
Joe
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 13:04:13 (permalink)
I have 2 recipes, one an old favorite and one newer one that a friend shared with me.

#1) Bacon wrapped waterchestnuts (old fave)
1 pkg pre-cooked bacon (this saves on cooking time)
2 8 oz cans waterchestnuts, drained
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup mayo or Miracle whip
1/3 cup chili sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bacon strips in half. Wrap 1/2 strip around waterchestnut and secure with toothpick. Place on cookie sheet. Bake about 12-15 min. or until bacon is crisped to your liking. Drain off bacon fat or transfer wraps to another pan.

While the wraps are baking, combine the brown sugar, mayo & chili sauce. Pour sauce over crispy waterchestnuts.

Put back into over for another 10-15 min. or until sauce is heated through. Serve hot. These can be reheated.

#2) Sweet & sour meatballs

3 lbs. lean ground beef
2 envelopes dry onion soup mix
1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs, soaked in 1-1/2 cups water
3 eggs
(or you can use premade meatballs to save time - but freshly made will obviously taste better!)

1 can (14.5 oz) sauerkraut, drained
1 can (14-16 oz) WHOLE cranberry sauce
1 (12 oz) bottle chili sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup water

For meatballs, combine ground beef, soup mixes, bread crumbs, and eggs. Mix well and form into 2 inch meat balls. Place in 13x9x2 baking pan.
Combine sauerkraut, cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 min.
Pour sauerkraut sauce over meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for an hour to 1-1/2 hours or until cooked through. There may be some grease that can be poured off. These can be made ahead of time and then reheated and served in a crockpot.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 13:41:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator
With all of the talk on the board about fish fries. . . .
Hey: as usual, I must be missing something here. Rooster, lamb, and bull fries I understand; but how on earth do you even find fish fries?
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 18:52:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator
With all of the talk on the board about fish fries. . . .
Hey: as usual, I must be missing something here. Rooster, lamb, and bull fries I understand; but how on earth do you even find fish fries?

Friends that fish.
kitty626
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 19:39:21 (permalink)
This recipe was printed in an article about Super Bowl parties in our local paper today. It looks quick, easy and interesting.

CANDIED KIELBASA
(Makes 8 portions)

1 tablespoon margarine or canola oil
1 pound turkey kielbasa
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup cold water- use what is needed

Melt the margarine in a large heavy skillet. Cut the kielbasa into 1/4-inch "pennies" and cook in the margarine for 4 to 5 minutes (until lightly browned).
Reduce the temperature to medium, add thee brown sugar, onion powder and a little bit of the water, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the temperature to low, add a little more water if the pan gets too dry, and simmer, stirring frequently for 8 to 10 minutes.
Serve hot with toothpicks.
Double recipe for the party.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 20:29:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kitty626

This recipe was printed in an article about Super Bowl parties in our local paper today. It looks quick, easy and interesting.

CANDIED KIELBASA
(Makes 8 portions)

1 tablespoon margarine or canola oil
1 pound turkey kielbasa
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup cold water- use what is needed

Melt the margarine in a large heavy skillet. Cut the kielbasa into 1/4-inch "pennies" and cook in the margarine for 4 to 5 minutes (until lightly browned).
Reduce the temperature to medium, add thee brown sugar, onion powder and a little bit of the water, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the temperature to low, add a little more water if the pan gets too dry, and simmer, stirring frequently for 8 to 10 minutes.
Serve hot with toothpicks.
Double recipe for the party.

Polish Sausage Makers the world over are moaning, crying out in anguish and rolling over in their Graves, (If Deceased) at the thought of Kielbasa being made from TURKEY!! not to mention Desecrating it in a brown Sugar Goo!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 20:47:51 (permalink)

Oh Well...
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/03 21:43:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by writeitup

You are not only a fabulous oyster, you are a fabulous chili maker. That looks astounding.Thank you

Talking about oysters reminds me of a great halftime soup. It's really fast to make if you do all the chopping and slicing ahead of time and put the ingredients in plastic bags in the refrigerator.

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER STEW – 4 servings

4 slices bacon
1 cup thinly sliced leeks
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/ 8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cups half-and-half
2 cups milk
1 1/ 2 pints shucked oysters and liquor
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups thinly sliced raw spinach leaves
Salt and black pepper
1 Tbs. butter (optional)
Oyster crackers to serve with stew

In a large heavy saucepan or soup kettle, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel, crumble and reserve. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of drippings from the skillet.

Add the leek and celery and saute over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the cayenne pepper.

Add the half-and-half and the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters (cut large ones in half) and the Worcestershire sauce. Return to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the spinach is just wilted and the oysters are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Swirl in the optional butter, if used, and serve immediately in large, shallow bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with the reserved bacon.

This is what we always serve with it:

CRUNCHY RYE BREAD

1/ 3 cup softened butter or margarine
1/ 2 tsp. celery seed
1/ 2 tsp. sesame seed
1/ 4 tsp. paprika
3/ 4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 loaf (1 lb.) round unsliced rye or pumpernickel bread

Mix butter, seeds, and paprika until smooth. Stir in cheese. Make 3 lengthwise and 3 crosswise cuts through top of bread, leaving bottom crust intact. Spread mixture on all sides of cuts and over top and sides of bread. Heat on cookie sheet in preheated 375 degree oven, uncovered, until hot and crunchy, about 20 minutes.

Notes: Bread can be prepared with spread earlier in the day. Keep in a plastic bag until time to bake. Swiss cheese can be substituted for the cheddar or a combination of the two cheeses.

writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/04 05:35:27 (permalink)
You folks are aces. Thank you for sharing.
I sometimes think the government should declare the Super bowl a national holiday as we seem to celebrate it as much as the Christmas hholidays.

By the way, fabulous oyster, I think it rather wonderful that you will do all that mincing and chopping to make a great chili.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/04 08:01:23 (permalink)
This one's labor intensive, but requires no culinary artistry, so I make it a lot:

In a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, pour an 18 oz. bottle of whatever barbecue sauce is on sale. Add a 3 pound beef or pork roast and cook on low for 8 hours. Take 2 forks and pull the roast until it's nice and shredded. Cook for another hour on low. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP UNLESS YOUR SERVING THIS TO BEARS FANS!!! You didn't add enough fluid to cook the roast through to the middle the first time.

Makes a not bad sammich filling or sorta chip dip if the chips can deal with it.

This one takes about 15 minutes from start to finish, and chili purists will nail my scalp to a goal post for calling it chili, but it's not bad if you gotta get something on the table and don't want to miss a play or the best thing to happen to the Super Bowl since Vinny T., the commercials.

Nuke a pound of ground beef until the pink's all gone, then drain and chop it up. for such an occasion as the Super Bowl, I use a food processor, but I usually use the side of a tablespoon. Add a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes and a 15 oz can of beans. Black, red, lima, great northern, chili, or pork~n~ work well, but if you have a choice, go for smaller rather than any genus. If you used straight up beans and tomatoes, add a teaspoon or so of chili powder, and chopped onions or peppers if you want to. Stir and nuke for another couple minutes and set out. This takes about 20 minutes if you start with frozen beef.

Packerwmn, my wife makes ramaki (bacon wrapped water chestnuts) in the slow cooker with barbecue sauce and honey enough to cover.

Let's all try and keep government out of the Super Bowl, shall we? They have a nasty habit of ruining stuff that's good by regulating it to oblivion.
writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/04 11:02:21 (permalink)
In the middle of all the super bowl talk, adjudicator is thinking about swamp gravy. Okay, here I am in NYC where many think they know everything and have everything. I got over that before I was 20, and feel free to ask those of you who are southerners what a good fish fry is. Can you find that if you are on the road or do you have to do it yourself?
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/07 14:04:42 (permalink)
I'm not into the whole football thing and only go to the parties for the food but thats a whole lot better than my poor brother in law. His job with NFL Films REQUIRES he attend EVERY superbowl! Of course they have to compensate him with 5star acommodations and pay for travel etc. AND it's not just the superbowl but playoffs and various games though the season!

I used to make this following recipe once a month or so when the kids where all home, now it's requested for special events and even though the kids are gone I still make the large amount because it gets better with age and I can eat for a week off one afternoon in the kitchen.

TACO SALAD
5lbs ground beef
3-4 bell peppers
5-6 jalapenos (or to taste)
2-3 onions
5tablespns chopped garlic
7 packets taco mix
2 pounds of cubed chedder
one small bottle each of french and catalina salad dressing
Dorito chips (any flavor)

Chop peppers and onions, layer in bottom of large skillet, add garlic and ground meat with 2 packets of seasoning, cook until browned and drain, add remaining seasoning packets and half amount of water, heat through and allow to cool.
Place the cooked mixture in a large bowl and add salad dressings, cheese and crushed doritos, mix well and refrigerate.
Best if served chilled. Top each serving with more crushed dorito chips and hot sauce as desired
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/07 14:54:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by writeitup
Okay, here I am in NYC where many think they know everything and have everything. I got over that before I was 20, and feel free to ask those of you who are southerners what a good fish fry is. Can you find that if you are on the road or do you have to do it yourself?
Best bet is to find somebody who lives in the area where you'll be, which shouldn't be hard in RoadFood, and ask. Except for the[url='http://www.tnvacation.com/events/1138/']Annual Fish Fry[/url] in Paris, TN, I don't know of any public ones. Christ Episcopal Church in Brownsville, TN, used to hold one annually and guests were invited. If you're headed that way I can probably arrange an invitation; and I do have a friend here who sometimes does them commercially. Of course, if you're coming my way, let me know and I'll check here.
writeitup
Junior Burger
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/07 19:01:40 (permalink)
I checked that fish fry link, Rick. Oh, but that looks fantastic.
Yup, gottat do one of these one day
And find out more about it.

I don't know where down your way is....
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2007/01/08 10:42:47 (permalink)
Writeitup, you can click anyone's name here and it says where they are. Around north Texas, many of the marinas and RV parks, around the lakes, have fish frys. The lakefront neighborhood where I live also has one now and then.
Joe
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2010/11/07 14:06:25 (permalink)
OK.  I opened it back up.  ;)
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Your Recipes NEEDED 2010/11/07 15:21:03 (permalink)
Smores Mix

2 boxes (12 ounce size)  Golden Grahams or Cinnamon Toast Crunch
(I used Aldi's Cinnamon Toast cereal)

2 packages Nestle chocolate chunks

1 large package miniature marshmallows. DO NOT get the fruit flavored marshmallows or the larger ones.

Mix everything together in a big bowl. Put lid on the bowl & shake it up. Serve in small cups.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1