Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
2004/05/11 11:37:53 (permalink)

Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary

I am thinking about making a similar documentary to Super-Size Me, about eating all my meals for a month at Peter Luger's in New York. Ideally, I would have picked Pepe's in New Haven, but they open too late in the day.

What would your Roadfood month-long food destination be?

P.S. To make my film, I will accept any donations from willing would-be film backers.

39 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 12:43:10 (permalink)
    Grampy: I could eatChinese every day of the month. Egg foo Yung one day, shrimp lo mein the next...throw in a few spring rolls with duck sauce...I'd be in heaven, and much larger too!
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 14:16:59 (permalink)
    I think I could eat fried chicken at Stroud's every day for a month. Too bad I live in Chicago, where good fried chicken is hard to find. I never tire of the stuff.

Grampy
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 14:26:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

Grampy: I could eat Chinese every day of the month. Egg foo Yung one day, shrimp lo mein the next...throw in a few spring rolls with duck sauce...I'd be in heaven, and much larger too!

Kristi, on the serious side, I wouldn't mind a dim sum parlor like HSF or Triple Eight in New York, either. I wonder if anyone could to BBQ for a month, and where.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 14:41:22 (permalink)
    I could eat at the Akron Restaurant everyday for a month--no problem. All that good PA Dutchy food--MMmmmMmmm! I could finally get to sample all the good stuff on the menu.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 15:22:35 (permalink)
    I could eat at Waffle House everyday !!!!

*ducks from objects being thrown*
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 15:47:14 (permalink)
    I have given this a great deal of consideration and I make my choice on the basis of what's nearby, not on where I'd like to spend the 30 days. Thus, I choose the Grill & Skillet in Bexley, Ohio.

Now, if choosing a place where I ... Oh, never mind.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 19:01:07 (permalink)
    I could eat at any good Jewish deli for a month
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 19:06:18 (permalink)
    Hi, Grampy! Great topic! I could eat Vietnamese food every day--with an emphasis on pho thai and spring rolls. Oh--add grilled lemongrass chicken on rice to that. I bet I'd come out being healthier than when I started this project. Cheers!
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1026
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 19:54:19 (permalink)
    Great question! I would be thrilled to eat for a month at The Oyster Bar in New York (if someone else paid for it). Here's the top 1/3 of a day's menu, and the menu changes every day! Even if I got tired of oysters (unlikely), I actually know someone who once ordered the sirloin steak and said it was terrific! (Not to mention that the wine list and beer list are infinite)

Grampy
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 20:02:21 (permalink)
    Michael: Did you know that when Ian Fleming wrote the travelog Thrilling Cities, he had very little good to say about New York. In lieu of travel writing, he wrote a short "non-spy" story with James Bond. Bond went to the place he loved best, the Oyster Bar, and he had his meal with Schaefer beer. Schaefer was obviously different in the 50s. When I taught in NYC and commuted to Stamford, I would stop at the Oyster Bar and bring the missus a treat.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 20:03:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

Great question! I would be thrilled to eat for a month at The Oyster Bar in New York (if someone else paid for it). Here's the top 1/3 of a day's menu, and the menu changes every day! Even if I got tired of oysters (unlikely), I actually know someone who once ordered the sirloin steak and said it was terrific! (Not to mention that the wine list and beer list are infinite)

Wow, this sounds like the perfect place..............you could not get tired of this menu! Please find me someone with plenty of money so that I can go through their menu in one month.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15178
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 20:16:41 (permalink)

The original doesn't require going to the same location...merely eating the same stuff...so I choose to do BBQ on a thirty day roadtrip I think I could do the Carolina's, Tenn and some of Georgia,Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri Oklahoma and Texas.
    "Yep, Give me a Supersize Pulled Pork and Rib Combo...Hold the Chicken and put the slaw on the side with a cup of the sweet sauce for dipping." "OH Yeah, A Big Gulp of Cane-sweet Dr. Pepper too!"
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 20:32:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The original doesn't require going to the same location...merely eating the same stuff...so I choose to do BBQ on a thirty day roadtrip I think I could do the Carolina's, Tenn and some of Georgia,Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri Oklahoma and Texas.
    "Yep, Give me a Supersize Pulled Pork and Rib Combo...Hold the Chicken and put the slaw on the side with a cup of the sweet sauce for dipping." "OH Yeah, A Big Gulp of Cane-sweet Dr. Pepper too!"

Al, I like the way you think. You repeated Tennessee twice so could i guess that Is you favorite? I noticed that you enjoyed Hayes very well.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/11 21:51:14 (permalink)
    Jennie's in Paridise, PA. Huge portions designed for a Penn. Dutch farm hand. Great prices, and good old fashioned delicous food.
    It's the classic Stainless Steel diner with about a dozen 18 wheelers parked in the lot.
    The chicken fried steak came with 2 large very tender cuts of meat and a pile of mash potatos the size of 3 fists. A fork was sharp enough to cut the steak. All covered with a wonderful white gravey. Under $8.00 American.
    Other members of our party split the Veal Parm dinner. There was still some leftover. Unusual for a diner to serve Italian fare that actually tasted great!

Beware: A handwritten sign on the front door..."THERE IS NO NON-SMOKING SECTION IN THIS RESTAURANT"

If you can get past that, you are in for a true roadfood treat.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/12 09:14:00 (permalink)
    I second the good jewish deli vote. Corned beef, pastrami, brisket, chopped liver, knishes etc.

All washed down with a thirty day supply of Cel-Ray.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/12 12:16:55 (permalink)
    Have you ever seen the "King of the Hill" episode where Bobbie eats at the new Jewish deli in town every day for a month and develops gout?

Ok, sorry to admit that I watch KotH and think that it is funny sometimes
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/12 14:00:26 (permalink)
    I think I could do Joe's Noodle House in Rockville or Dusit (Thai) in Wheaton for 30 days no problem, and still not go through the whole menu(s). Those or a good Vietnamese place.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/12 16:35:45 (permalink)
    All this talk about deli reminded me of Manny's in Chicago. With a different wonderful lunch special each day of the week, I'm sure I could eat there 30 straight days. It's not all corned beef and pastrami. Their turkey special, which I believe is on Tuesdays, is some of the best turkey I've ever had.
    Richard Brooks Alba
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/12 19:26:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mayor, that strikes me as a bit of cheat - Morgan Spurlock wasn't eating at the same location, but he WAS ordering from the same menu the whole month! His story would've been a bit different if he was only eating at burger joints or chain burger joints. What sacrifice (or gamesmanship) is there in selectively eating barbecue?

As for me, while Manny's in Chicago sounded pretty good, Philippe's in L.A. could probably best sustain me [w/ French dips, beet pickled eggs, deli salads, & cheesecake or baked apples] for a month from the same menu - and not force me to soak like a country ham to get the house bouquet out of my pores....;)
    Buen provecho,
    Richard
    Berkeley/SF, CA
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15178
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/12 19:31:53 (permalink)

Richard- You are probably correct in defining the diet the way you did.... But I don't think I would care to participate in one that was any narrower than the one I suggested.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/13 10:05:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes

I think I could do Joe's Noodle House in Rockville or Dusit (Thai) in Wheaton for 30 days no problem, and still not go through the whole menu(s). Those or a good Vietnamese place.

Great choice on Joe's, Sam!! I believe you could eat there three meals a day for 30 days and never have the same thing twice. That is unless you've eaten everything else and are down to the chicken feet and duck tongues. Then I might eat something twice!

You guys have got to see this menu...link is below:
    http://www.joesnoodlehouse.com/menu.html
    Grampy
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/13 11:04:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Great choice on Joe's, Sam!! I believe you could eat there three meals a day for 30 days and never have the same thing twice. That is unless you've eaten everything else and are down to the chicken feet and duck tongues. Then I might eat something twice!

Count me in! Thanks for the menu, Meowzart.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/13 12:16:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

quote:

Oh, Wow!
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/13 13:32:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

Ok, sorry to admit that I watch KotH and think that it is funny sometimes

Why sorry? What's so horrible about that?
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/13 15:59:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

quote:

Oh, Wow!

Wow indeed. I have only just begun to delve into the menu, and that doesn't include the specials posted on the wall behind the cash - beef tendon with hot sauce anyone? Grampy? Michael? some spicy chicken gizzards for you Debbie?
    Grampy
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/13 16:01:39 (permalink)
    I've had beef tendon in a Pho noodle shop, but I must confess that I have not had any pig intestines lately. How are they?
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/14 09:21:12 (permalink)
    I must also confess that I have never tried Joe's pig intestines. I'll let you know when I do, but it may be a while
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/15 08:52:33 (permalink)
    Sushi Sasabune in Honolulu---the freshest and the best I've ever had---and I'd probably lose weight.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary 2004/05/15 12:07:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy
    I wonder if anyone could to BBQ for a month, and where.

I don't know if this, too, would violate the spirit of the rules, but I am pretty sure if I lived in Dallas, TX, I could eat BBQ for every meal, every day for a month, and not duplicate the same meal at the same restaurant!

Steve
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1