The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 11:37 AM (permalink)
I am thinking about making a similar documentary to Super-Size Me, about eating all my meals for a month at Peter Luger's in New York. Ideally, I would have picked Pepe's in New Haven, but they open too late in the day.

What would your Roadfood month-long food destination be?

P.S. To make my film, I will accept any donations from willing would-be film backers.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 12:43 PM (permalink)
    Grampy: I could eatChinese every day of the month. Egg foo Yung one day, shrimp lo mein the next...throw in a few spring rolls with duck sauce...I'd be in heaven, and much larger too!

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
      RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 2:16 PM (permalink)
      I think I could eat fried chicken at Stroud's every day for a month. Too bad I live in Chicago, where good fried chicken is hard to find. I never tire of the stuff.

Grampy

RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 2:26 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Kristi S.

Grampy: I could eat Chinese every day of the month. Egg foo Yung one day, shrimp lo mein the next...throw in a few spring rolls with duck sauce...I'd be in heaven, and much larger too!

Kristi, on the serious side, I wouldn't mind a dim sum parlor like HSF or Triple Eight in New York, either. I wonder if anyone could to BBQ for a month, and where.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
          RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 2:41 PM (permalink)
          I could eat at the Akron Restaurant everyday for a month--no problem. All that good PA Dutchy food--MMmmmMmmm! I could finally get to sample all the good stuff on the menu.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
            RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 3:22 PM (permalink)
            I could eat at Waffle House everyday !!!!

*ducks from objects being thrown*

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
              RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 3:47 PM (permalink)
              I have given this a great deal of consideration and I make my choice on the basis of what's nearby, not on where I'd like to spend the 30 days. Thus, I choose the Grill & Skillet in Bexley, Ohio.

Now, if choosing a place where I ... Oh, never mind.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 7:01 PM (permalink)
                I could eat at any good Jewish deli for a month

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                  RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 7:06 PM (permalink)
                  Hi, Grampy! Great topic! I could eat Vietnamese food every day--with an emphasis on pho thai and spring rolls. Oh--add grilled lemongrass chicken on rice to that. I bet I'd come out being healthier than when I started this project. Cheers!

Michael Stern

RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 7:54 PM (permalink)
                    Great question! I would be thrilled to eat for a month at The Oyster Bar in New York (if someone else paid for it). Here's the top 1/3 of a day's menu, and the menu changes every day! Even if I got tired of oysters (unlikely), I actually know someone who once ordered the sirloin steak and said it was terrific! (Not to mention that the wine list and beer list are infinite)

Grampy

RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 8:02 PM (permalink)
                      Michael: Did you know that when Ian Fleming wrote the travelog Thrilling Cities, he had very little good to say about New York. In lieu of travel writing, he wrote a short "non-spy" story with James Bond. Bond went to the place he loved best, the Oyster Bar, and he had his meal with Schaefer beer. Schaefer was obviously different in the 50s. When I taught in NYC and commuted to Stamford, I would stop at the Oyster Bar and bring the missus a treat.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                        RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 8:03 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Michael Stern

Great question! I would be thrilled to eat for a month at The Oyster Bar in New York (if someone else paid for it). Here's the top 1/3 of a day's menu, and the menu changes every day! Even if I got tired of oysters (unlikely), I actually know someone who once ordered the sirloin steak and said it was terrific! (Not to mention that the wine list and beer list are infinite)

Wow, this sounds like the perfect place..............you could not get tired of this menu! Please find me someone with plenty of money so that I can go through their menu in one month.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 8:16 PM (permalink)

The original doesn't require going to the same location...merely eating the same stuff...so I choose to do BBQ on a thirty day roadtrip I think I could do the Carolina's, Tenn and some of Georgia,Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri Oklahoma and Texas.
                          "Yep, Give me a Supersize Pulled Pork and Rib Combo...Hold the Chicken and put the slaw on the side with a cup of the sweet sauce for dipping." "OH Yeah, A Big Gulp of Cane-sweet Dr. Pepper too!"

Sundancer7

RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 8:32 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The original doesn't require going to the same location...merely eating the same stuff...so I choose to do BBQ on a thirty day roadtrip I think I could do the Carolina's, Tenn and some of Georgia,Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri Oklahoma and Texas.
                            "Yep, Give me a Supersize Pulled Pork and Rib Combo...Hold the Chicken and put the slaw on the side with a cup of the sweet sauce for dipping." "OH Yeah, A Big Gulp of Cane-sweet Dr. Pepper too!"

Al, I like the way you think. You repeated Tennessee twice so could i guess that Is you favorite? I noticed that you enjoyed Hayes very well.

Paul E. Smith
                            knoxville, TN

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
                              RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Tue, 05/11/04 9:51 PM (permalink)
                              Jennie's in Paridise, PA. Huge portions designed for a Penn. Dutch farm hand. Great prices, and good old fashioned delicous food.
                              It's the classic Stainless Steel diner with about a dozen 18 wheelers parked in the lot.
                              The chicken fried steak came with 2 large very tender cuts of meat and a pile of mash potatos the size of 3 fists. A fork was sharp enough to cut the steak. All covered with a wonderful white gravey. Under $8.00 American.
                              Other members of our party split the Veal Parm dinner. There was still some leftover. Unusual for a diner to serve Italian fare that actually tasted great!

Beware: A handwritten sign on the front door..."THERE IS NO NON-SMOKING SECTION IN THIS RESTAURANT"

If you can get past that, you are in for a true roadfood treat.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Wed, 05/12/04 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                I second the good jewish deli vote. Corned beef, pastrami, brisket, chopped liver, knishes etc.

All washed down with a thirty day supply of Cel-Ray.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                  RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Wed, 05/12/04 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                  Have you ever seen the "King of the Hill" episode where Bobbie eats at the new Jewish deli in town every day for a month and develops gout?

Ok, sorry to admit that I watch KotH and think that it is funny sometimes

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
                                    RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Wed, 05/12/04 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                    I think I could do Joe's Noodle House in Rockville or Dusit (Thai) in Wheaton for 30 days no problem, and still not go through the whole menu(s). Those or a good Vietnamese place.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                                      RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Wed, 05/12/04 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                      All this talk about deli reminded me of Manny's in Chicago. With a different wonderful lunch special each day of the week, I'm sure I could eat there 30 straight days. It's not all corned beef and pastrami. Their turkey special, which I believe is on Tuesdays, is some of the best turkey I've ever had.

Richard Brooks Alba

• Total Posts: 93
                                        RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Wed, 05/12/04 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mayor, that strikes me as a bit of cheat - Morgan Spurlock wasn't eating at the same location, but he WAS ordering from the same menu the whole month! His story would've been a bit different if he was only eating at burger joints or chain burger joints. What sacrifice (or gamesmanship) is there in selectively eating barbecue?

As for me, while Manny's in Chicago sounded pretty good, Philippe's in L.A. could probably best sustain me [w/ French dips, beet pickled eggs, deli salads, & cheesecake or baked apples] for a month from the same menu - and not force me to soak like a country ham to get the house bouquet out of my pores....;)
                                        Buen provecho,
                                        Richard
                                        Berkeley/SF, CA

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Wed, 05/12/04 7:31 PM (permalink)

Richard- You are probably correct in defining the diet the way you did.... But I don't think I would care to participate in one that was any narrower than the one I suggested.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                                            RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Thu, 05/13/04 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Rhodes

I think I could do Joe's Noodle House in Rockville or Dusit (Thai) in Wheaton for 30 days no problem, and still not go through the whole menu(s). Those or a good Vietnamese place.

Great choice on Joe's, Sam!! I believe you could eat there three meals a day for 30 days and never have the same thing twice. That is unless you've eaten everything else and are down to the chicken feet and duck tongues. Then I might eat something twice!

You guys have got to see this menu...link is below:
                                            http://www.joesnoodlehouse.com/menu.html

Grampy

RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Thu, 05/13/04 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:

Great choice on Joe's, Sam!! I believe you could eat there three meals a day for 30 days and never have the same thing twice. That is unless you've eaten everything else and are down to the chicken feet and duck tongues. Then I might eat something twice!

Count me in! Thanks for the menu, Meowzart.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                                RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Thu, 05/13/04 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by meowzart

quote:

Oh, Wow!

Paulie

• Total Posts: 119
                                                  • Location: Bristol, CT/ Westerly RI
                                                  RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Thu, 05/13/04 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by kland01s

Ok, sorry to admit that I watch KotH and think that it is funny sometimes

Why sorry? What's so horrible about that?

Rhodes

RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Thu, 05/13/04 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by meowzart

quote:

Oh, Wow!

Wow indeed. I have only just begun to delve into the menu, and that doesn't include the specials posted on the wall behind the cash - beef tendon with hot sauce anyone? Grampy? Michael? some spicy chicken gizzards for you Debbie?

Grampy

• Location: Greenfield, MA
                                                      RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Thu, 05/13/04 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      I've had beef tendon in a Pho noodle shop, but I must confess that I have not had any pig intestines lately. How are they?

Rhodes

• Location: Dickerson, MD
                                                        RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Fri, 05/14/04 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                                        I must also confess that I have never tried Joe's pig intestines. I'll let you know when I do, but it may be a while

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
                                                          • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
                                                          RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sat, 05/15/04 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                                          Sushi Sasabune in Honolulu---the freshest and the best I've ever had---and I'd probably lose weight.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                            • Location: Central FL
                                                            RE: Your Roadfood "Super-Size Me" Documentary Sat, 05/15/04 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Grampy
                                                            I wonder if anyone could to BBQ for a month, and where.

I don't know if this, too, would violate the spirit of the rules, but I am pretty sure if I lived in Dallas, TX, I could eat BBQ for every meal, every day for a month, and not duplicate the same meal at the same restaurant!

Steve

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com