Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2009/01/27 01:59:10 (permalink)

Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws.

Dearfolk,
   I just read where Mississippi is working toward modernizing their antiquated alcohol laws. While areas of the state do allow both beer and wine sales on Sundays, liquor stores (only legalized in 1966) seem to have no signs and close at 11:00 P. M. -- Also areas of the state are dry for one thing but not for another.
   Alabama now allows transportation of alcohol (in limited quantity) into dry areas. Until the 1970's or early 1980's, this was not the case... dry was DRY.
   Georgia allows no package sales anywhere on Sunday, but beer and wine can be sold 24 hours a day, 6 days a week (unless city or state ordinance differs). And our liquor stores are allowed to be open from 8:00 A. M. until midnight. Licenses for beer and wine are handled locally and require no election; both package liquor and mixed drinks require separate referenda.
   I'll toss in more, but I want to hear your comments about your state's liquor laws.
      Curiously, Ort. Carlton in Wet-Since-1968 Athens, Georgia.

79 Replies Related Threads

boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 02:44:21 (permalink)
      Wet for sure! The bars here in Alaska can be open for 23 hours per day but must close at 5:00am for one hour. They don't have to kick anyone out but can't serve alcohol for that hour. Most bars have a cook on to handle the inevitable morning munchies from too much party the night before.
      Liquor stores are open 7 days per week from 8:00 till 11:00pm or midnight. The only dry areas here are at the fish camps and the oil rigs, as far as I know.

Drenched, David O. in The Last Frontier, Wasilla, AK
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 03:23:07 (permalink)
    The laws are fairly simple here in California, no difference from county to county and the laws are the same seven days a week. Just no alcohol can be sold or served between 2 a.m and 6 a.m. And, of course, that goes for beer wine and liquor all the same.
    beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 04:05:20 (permalink)
        Haven't drank in 14 years but lets see what i can recall lmao.  Grew up CT. Liguor stores buy your beer, wine and spirits 8 AM to 8 PM Monday to Saturday. Closed Sunday. 745 PM line form no one admitted in door after 759PM but if in door you could buy be snucked out back door.   Grocery stores same hours but only could buy beer absolutely no one could buy beer a second past 8 PM.
           Bars open 8 AM. 9 AM or 10 AM (don't know didn't care) why 3 different times just we all knew who opened at 8 AM. Last call 2 AM. Restuarants could sell beer wine or spirits but only for on premise consumption. Beer wine spirits single drink purchases (couldn't buy the 5 th even if you planned drink it all) lol. Sundays only could get beer wine and spirits at bar or restaurant (none to go)
             Everyone knew where they could go to buy during not legal hours but cost 2X normal rate lol.
            In China now (work) no drinking for me, but no laws about drinking here. If your buisinessman and your client not sloshed out of gourd your not going to get the deal though. lmao
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 07:29:35 (permalink)
    From a different perspective...I was thinking about running for local office and last week, found out the holder of liquor license can not run for office.  I feel this is discriminatory and would have been happy to recuse myself from any conflicting votes. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 07:39:03 (permalink)
    Here in White, Protestant Collin County, Texas (pop. 800,000+) the retail sale of spirits is forbidden.  I have to drive 20 miles all the way to Dallas to buy a bottle of Evan Williams!

Almost as bad, as Mrs. Metro and I do our major grocery shopping on Sunday mornings, the sale of beer and wine are forbidden until Noon on Sundays. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8657
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 07:52:08 (permalink)
    Retail sales of any type of alcohol are generally 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days per week.Bars, on the other hand, at least in the city of Milw.can be open at 6 a.m. and serve til 2 a.m. New Years eve is an exception at bars-some stay open til 7 a.m.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 07:57:36 (permalink)
    In Johnstown, Pa. there was a terrible flood in 1902.  The state put a 24% tax on liquor to help pay for repairs.  It was supposed to be a one year tax.  We are still paying it today along with 6% sales tax.  That's 30% in state taxes on liquor that can only be purchased in state owned stores.

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 08:17:50 (permalink)
    You'll love this one.  Tennessee's renowned Lunatic Legislature enacted a law in 2007 that requires you to show ID to buy beer in stores, regardless of your age (does not apply to restaurants or bars)! 

Unless it has been amended or repealed, I believe it's still in effect.
    While I don't buy it very often, I've opted to purchase across the state line.  I absolutely refuse to show an ID to prove I turned 21 some 30 years ago.  Any fool can look at me and tell that.  Even our fool governor who signed the bill.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8657
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 08:23:49 (permalink)
    We have the same thing, MellowRoast-one chain in particular Ids everyone.I think its ridiculous as I, too,turned 18( legal age when I was young) 31 years ago.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 08:25:25 (permalink)
    boyardee65

Wet for sure! The bars here in Alaska can be open for 23 hours per day but must close at 5:00am for one hour. They don't have to kick anyone out but can't serve alcohol for that hour. Most bars have a cook on to handle the inevitable morning munchies from too much party the night before.
    Liquor stores are open 7 days per week from 8:00 till 11:00pm or midnight. The only dry areas here are at the fish camps and the oil rigs, as far as I know.

Drenched, David O. in The Last Frontier, Wasilla, AK
    Makes you wonder how many patrons stay over for the 5:00am to 6:00am hour and watch the clock and think it is the slowest hour ever. Anybody ever been to a bar that is the first bar on the outside of an Indian reservation? Not a pretty sight.....

FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1768
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 09:16:39 (permalink)
    Back before NY changed its Sunday laws on the sale of beer before 12:00, you weren't even allowed to buy O'Doull's!
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 09:50:21 (permalink)
    Moving from NY to Texas almost 25 years ago, we were stunned to see beer and wine sold mostly in gas stations! Talk about "don't drink and drive"!!!!
    And we also have a few "drive thru" beer stores- you stay in your car and they load you up as you drive thru! My brother-in-law thought that was a great idea!
    Buying "hard " liquor was a problem, at first, but now, since the local towns in Dallas County have pretty much decided to sell beer, wine etc there are a few local  liquor stores- and no, they don't sell gas!
    Metroplex Jim- you can purchase the hard stuff in Richardson- a little town named Buckingham was recently absorbed ( for want of a better word) into the city of Richardson- Buckingham's claim to fame, you might ask?- why they had only 7 families living there but they had 5 liquor stores- so they were all "grandfathered" into the city of Richardson- weird!
    RedJim64
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 09:51:50 (permalink)
    Michigan: No alcohol sales of any type on Sundays before Noon. No alcohol sales of any type on Christmas Day after midnight Christmas Eve.  
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18874
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 11:04:36 (permalink)
    The laws in Connecticut were pretty weird, until you remember that Connecticut was a Blue-Law haven for many years.

For as long as I can remember, at least till the late 1960s, it wa s illegal for a woman to be at the bar, unless she was an employee and either giving or picking up drink orders. A woman could tend bar, though.

Also, bars were not allowed to operate unless they served hot food, which was why so many began using "Radar Ranges" when they first appeared on the scene.

Further, liquor stores, known in Connecticut as package stores, could not sell anything but alcohol. No sodas, no mixes, no chips, no nothing other than alcoholic beverages. Additionally, package stores were not permitted to have pay phones or to allow the use of a telephone by a patron.

Oh, and on Sundays bars could not open till 1 p.m., and they had to close at 9 p.m.

But hey, what would you expect in a state where it was illegal to give pedicures or sell contraceptive devices.
    Grillnut
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 14:25:40 (permalink)
    joerogo
    In Johnstown, Pa. there was a terrible flood in 1902.  The state put a 24% tax on liquor to help pay for repairs.  It was supposed to be a one year tax.  We are still paying it today along with 6% sales tax.  That's 30% in state taxes on liquor that can only be purchased in state owned stores.

The thing I find most confusing here in PA is that wine is sold at the state liquor stores, whereas beer is sold at privately owned "beer and beverage distributors."  Most states lump wine and beer together, not wine and hard liquor.

On the bright side, the state does get some pretty good deals since it can buy in bulk, so our prices aren't all that high compared to those in other states, even with the taxes.  I've purchased wine in PA that I've seen quoted at higher prices in other states.
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1144
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 14:42:38 (permalink)
    Wanna talk about a racket... you buy a bottle, give it to the bartender and he sells you drinks out of your bottle. Who the hell thought that one up? Our geniouses here in the Texas legislature led by governor Hair.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 15:19:46 (permalink)
    Grillnut

joerogo

The thing I find most confusing here in PA is that wine is sold at the state liquor stores, whereas beer is sold at privately owned "beer and beverage distributors."  Most states lump wine and beer together, not wine and hard liquor.

On the bright side, the state does get some pretty good deals since it can buy in bulk, so our prices aren't all that high compared to those in other states, even with the taxes.  I've purchased wine in PA that I've seen quoted at higher prices in other states.

Living on the border near to MD, DE, and NJ, I'm not sure we get any deals from the state stores.  Maybe PA on sale is cheaper than others off sale, but not on much else.

And if you think beer/wine places are confusing, try hard cider (a fvorite of mine).  It see-sawed back and forth several times as to who was going to handle.  Currently, I think it is offered in both! (usually cheaper at the private place, but you have to buy a case)
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 15:24:07 (permalink)
    The only times pubs ever really shut here are on Christmas day and maybe some of the Easter days, Sunday has reduced hours but restaurants with licenses will serve you an alcoholic drink as far as I know.

One thing I noticed when in New England was the lack of spirits in supermarkets, it seemed to be just beer and stuff.  Supermarkets here that sell alcohol tend to sell spirits and all.

We have weird licensing laws here, we only have a certain amount of licenses as far as I'm aware and if there are none free a business has to wait until another licensed business closes to obtain a license.

We have the usual stuff here like no alcohol at all on public areas and pubs tend to close their doors at 11pm to new punters.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 15:32:42 (permalink)
    Our laws go by city ordinance. Here in Gainesville, beer and liquor M-S from store opening to close.  Sunday, beer only beginning at 1p.  Newberry, which is about 12-15  miles west is the same weekdays but on Sundays you can buy beer beginning at 7a, and the ONE bar is closed, no liquor. In Alachua, also about the same mileage and direction, weekdays the same, beer on Sunday the same but the bars are open at 1p for indoor drinking only, 5 miles further west is High Springs, DRY on Sunday.  You get the picture, we are all in the same county though.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1037
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 15:38:15 (permalink)
    I've lived in Texas for a couple of years and I still don't begin to understand its "Club" rule.  It seems in certain areas you have to be a club member to order alcoholic drinks.  So there is something statewide called the "Unicard Systems" where you apply for "Membership."  When you apply at a bar or restaurant you get a Unicard Systems card, then the info gets entered into a statewide (?) computer system so then you just have to show them your driver’s license.

It get confusing because where they enforce it and where not does not seem to follow any logical rules, like by town or county.  I hadn't been asked for better than a year, so when I ordered a beer in North Dallas recently when they checked my drivers license my membership had expired and I had to apply for a new one.  And there can be two places literally next door to each other and one will ask and the other won't.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5213
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 15:46:10 (permalink)
    annpeeples

Retail sales of any type of alcohol are generally 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., 7 days per week.Bars, on the other hand, at least in the city of Milw.can be open at 6 a.m. and serve til 2 a.m. New Years eve is an exception at bars-some stay open til 7 a.m.

The 9pm cutoff is so that you'll spend your money in taverns, not package stores.  And I'm pretty sure it's Wisconsin-wide, although it's possible to get a special dispensation to be able to sell later than that.  Last I knew there were all of 3 stores in the Madison area allowed to do so, but that might've changed.

In Stoughton Sunday package sales don't happen before noon.  And up until a few years ago only liquor stores could sell alcohol, but now there's a full liquor department in the grocery store and convenience stores/gas stations can sell beer and other malt beverages.

Brad
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 17:08:19 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic

Grillnut

joerogo

Living on the border near to MD, DE, and NJ, I'm not sure we get any deals from the state stores.  Maybe PA on sale is cheaper than others off sale, but not on much else.

And if you think beer/wine places are confusing, try hard cider (a fvorite of mine).  It see-sawed back and forth several times as to who was going to handle.  Currently, I think it is offered in both! (usually cheaper at the private place, but you have to buy a case)

Take it from someone who has a serious wine problem, NJ and NY are around 20-30% cheaper on wine.  Hard liquor is about them same in price.

Here is where the problem is.  NJ & NY are all private shops.  The State of PA. has the best buying power, yet the prices are high and the selection is terrible.  The words State and Store should never be in the same setence, let alone next to each other.

You can check prices on your favorite wines yourself:

PLCB http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/

NJ http://winelegend.com/

NY http://popswines.com/

Anywhere http://www.wine-searcher.com/

World Class http://zachys.com/retail/

Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 18:49:29 (permalink)
    Of course you already have Georgia covered - I was definitely pleased when they gave the go-ahead to sales of high-gravity beers. The case against was ridiculous, supposing that 'the children' would buy a Belgian tripel ale to go drinking and driving, and not a rotgut vodka for the same price.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 19:35:58 (permalink)
    joerogo

Are you kiddin? You have enough Italian wine in that FANTASTIC wine cellar to last you until 2102! PA might make the "Joe Rogo" clause, soon. You need no hard liquor. Meanwhile, the rest of us are drinking Coke Zero & Gatorade, because you have all of the good stuff!!!
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/01/27 19:37:27
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 20:02:33 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

joerogo

Are you kiddin? You have enough Italian wine in that FANTASTIC wine cellar to last you until 2102! PA might make the "Joe Rogo" clause, soon. You need no hard liquor. Meanwhile, the rest of us are drinking Coke Zero & Gatorade, because you have all of the good stuff!!!

I left plenty of Asti Spumonti on the store shelf.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 20:15:07 (permalink)
    Hey ort,

You know what else frosts me.  The shipping across state lines nonsense.  In fact, I would ship you a case of Straubs right now if it was legal.
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 20:29:07 (permalink)
    I remember passing through Indiana a few years ago asking a store clerk a question.  Indiana cannot sell cold beer.  All of their beer at the stores were warm on the shelf.  Interesting state law I guess.  Im not sure of the timeframes they sell it but I got a kick out of not being able to buy cold beer.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 20:30:30 (permalink)
    Oh...a surprise 40th BD party for a classy friend?

Cool! I will bring the ice, and plastic cups!!

I pretend to be surprised!

Lock up the good stuff! Are wine auctions allowed on Ebay?

Oh...just to be on topic. Bars close at 3 am (latest) in NJ. Bars close (latest) at 4 am in NY. Can open back up at 5 am in NJ.

It may not be a "big" issue for many of the communities of NY/NJ, that are not right up against the border. However a universal agreement amongst these states (or any  bordering states) means nobody has it in their mind to speed over a bridge, to catch an extra hour of bar time. 
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/01/27 20:49:18
    FriedClamFanatic
    Re:Your State's (Ridiculous Or Not) Alcohol Laws. 2009/01/27 21:15:45 (permalink)
    Joerego

I agree with you about PA, but once upon a time I had the privilege to live in the Great State of New Hampshire.  There the state realy DOES know how to run a good show, witness all the MASS, Maine, VT, CT, RI, and even NY cars in the lots..and how they all seem to be slightly logey in the rear end when they are leaving!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1