Your Way, Or Their way ???????

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2368
2013/12/21 12:47:10 (permalink)

Your Way, Or Their way ???????

My 13 yr old wanted to go to DQ yesterday for a late lunch, early dinner. I almost never have a good meal when I have my meal cooked their way. I told Mollie, lets ask them to do it our way. I special ordered the her Chicken strips fresh cook with fresh hot fries. This is the $5 buck meal. 3 strips, fries, drink and sundae. I ordered a fresh cooked 1/4 lb cheese burger fresh cooked $5 buck meal. I will never do it their way again, Mollie's chicken strips were hot with steam coming out on every bite, the fries were crispy and hot. My Cheese burger was good, grilled warm bun, fresh cooked patty, juicy with melted cheese. The lettuce, tomato and onion we fresh and crisp, the fries were also hot and crispy. I asked Mollie if she liked her meal better than normal, she said yes Papa, it was yummy.........The meal for two people came to $10.83, not bad. My question to all Roadfood member is ??????? do you do it your way, OR, their way............................pnwc

22 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18360
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 12:58:06 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by your way and their way.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3475
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 13:23:23 (permalink)
    Sounds like the only difference is fresh cooked instead of the ones that have been under the warming lamps for a little while. Fresh cooked is always better, and I've never been to a fast food place where you can't ask for it and get it. They usually keep some pre-made so you get your food faster, but if you're willing to wait a few minutes you can always get fresh. For me, it depends on if I have the few minutes to wait...often I don't, since my entire reason for getting fast food is so I can get my food, well, fast. I do usually get it "my way", though, because I have them leave off ingredients I don't like (tomato, primarily), or add cheese when there isn't any how it's listed on the menu.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 14:28:56 (permalink)
    You have to recall some old time commercials for this.  One night years ago, Rodney Dangerfield of No Respect fame was on Johnny Carson, and in his rapid-fire fashion shot off these two:

Yeah, today I was hungry, so I went to McDonalds.  They told me I didn't deserve a break.

(audience laughs)

So I went to Burger King.  They said, "Not YOUR way!"

(audience really laughs)

pnwchef
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 14:33:27 (permalink)
    MichaelHoffman

Michael, The problem with fast food is, the food sucks because it's cooked ahead of time and held in warmers until needed. My point is, if you order fast food fresh made, it's good. No one walks into a Roadfood place saying, I'll take a old dry burger, I'm in a hurry. Why do we put up with this in Fastfood, but, would never allow this in a RF place. With all of us being RD kind of people, why not order fresh made "Everything" and get a meal that's 100% better than their idea of precooked everything. Mollie went from her meal being " Just ok" to hey Papa this is good.................... pnwc
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 14:34:55 (permalink)
    And I've found that, in general, a special order is the best way to protect yourself these days.  But then you have to consider that other, more ready, items will get shoved into the bag and get cold while waiting.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 15:00:05 (permalink)
    pnwchef

MichaelHoffman

Michael, The problem with fast food is, the food sucks because it's cooked ahead of time and held in warmers until needed. My point is, if you order fast food fresh made, it's good. No one walks into a Roadfood place saying, I'll take a old dry burger, I'm in a hurry. Why do we put up with this in Fastfood, but, would never allow this in a RF place. With all of us being RD kind of people, why not order fresh made "Everything" and get a meal that's 100% better than their idea of precooked everything. Mollie went from her meal being " Just ok" to hey Papa this is good.................... pnwc

Ah, OK. Thanks. I don't think I could get away with that at a McDonald's or Burger King, etc. I never go in. If I want something from one of those places I use the drive-thru, and I doubt people would be very happy sitting in their cars behind me as I waited.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 15:15:11 (permalink)
    If you order something that takes a while at the drive-thru, they have you pull up and someone runs it out to you when it's ready.

Still, the entire point of getting fast food is to get your food fast. That doesn't happen if you order it fresh made. And while I understand it's better when it's fresh (as most things are), why would any of us go to a fast food place thinking we were going to get something high quality? I go there either because they're open when I'm hungry or because I don't have time to go anywhere else.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1336
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 15:30:18 (permalink)
    pnwchef

MichaelHoffman

I think your comment was a bit puzzling because you used the Burger King slogan but you were talking about Dairy Queen.

I've mentioned here that many items at FF places are pretty good if you walk in and tell them to cook it fresh. For instance, I'll go to the local BK and ask for a Whopper cooked fresh and tell them not to nuke it. I eat it there because once you wrap it up and take it home, it has already started to become an homogenous mess.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3960
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 15:32:44 (permalink)
    Both In-n-Out and Jack in the Box mention in their ads that everything is made fresh.
    pnwchef
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 15:51:43 (permalink)
    Lets take the drive through idea out of the equation. I'm not looking for fast food being fast, if I'm eating in the restaurant. The difference being a few minutes more if it's fresh made, is well worth waiting a few minutes. The quality of any food is less if it sits in a warmer. The quality of something right off the grill or right out of the fryer is worth the wait. The quality is 100% better.........pnwc

pnwchef
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 15:54:49 (permalink)
    jman, Michael is always puzzling...........like one of those 1000 piece puzzles that you lost the picture of what the finished puzzle should look like.......

I guess it's me that puzzling, but, ask Lisa, Michael is more puzzling, along with his side kick Chewingthefat.........
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/12/21 16:49:06
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 16:24:34 (permalink)
    In my experience, I can't think of a restaurant (fast food or slow food) that has ever refused a such a request.  Freshly prepared is always a winner.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 18:20:23 (permalink)
    pnwchef

jman, Michael is always puzzling...........like one of those 1000 piece puzzles that you lost the picture of what the finished puzzle should look like.......

I guess it's me that puzzling, but, ask Lisa, Michael is more puzzling, along with his side kick Chewingthefat.........

Hey, hey, don't get me involved!  Around here, it's my way or the highway!!!   

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 18:27:29 (permalink)
    Oh? Are you heading for the highway?
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 20:29:09 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Lets take the drive through idea out of the equation. I'm not looking for fast food being fast, if I'm eating in the restaurant. The difference being a few minutes more if it's fresh made, is well worth waiting a few minutes. The quality of any food is less if it sits in a warmer. The quality of something right off the grill or right out of the fryer is worth the wait. The quality is 100% better.........pnwc

Well, sure. But then you're the exception rather than the rule as far as being willing to wait a few minutes. They don't call it "fast food" because you're supposed to have to wait for it.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5025
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 20:50:02 (permalink)
    IIRC all Culver's orders are made fresh.  There is (or at least used to be) a little sign next to the drive-up window that because of this it would take a little longer for the food to be ready.
    pnwchef
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/21 20:55:19 (permalink)
    Like Ed said, In-N-Out and Jack in the Box are both fresh made. If a few minutes more of a wait gives a 100% better product, then that's worth the wait. It's still fast food, just not as fast............
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1297
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/22 22:42:46 (permalink)
    At McDonald's and Burger King, it used to be the case that pretty much all the burgers cost the same per pound of beef. So I would see whatever was just coming out, and get $X worth of those.

Bart
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 626
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/24 01:02:55 (permalink)
    To be honest, i've never seen anything sitting under heat lamps at a DQ. My hometown DQ is pretty good compared to others I have been to.  Anyways, when you order, you have a clear view of the grill and fryer and they always cook it on the spot. Its not like McDonalds where the teenager grabs an already cooked patty out of the plastic bin and throws it in the microwave.  Just my experience anyways.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/24 19:15:13 (permalink)
    For the wife and I, fast food burgers are from Culvers unless we are traveling then we eat at place we don't have here. We don't mind waiting and we don't do mcdonalds or burger king and never our dq, way to slow of service with just kids working there.
    post edited by KurtSara - 2013/12/24 19:17:12
    Texascajun
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/25 00:33:56 (permalink)
    I know its different depending on where you go but at our local Dairy Queens all the food(no matter what you order) is cooked to order. Its slower but I don't mind. The consistency comes with the cook. They do put high schoolers back there sometimes and they have to learn but the local managers line them out pretty quick. A family friend owns the 3 local DQ's and he really tries to run a good business even giving his number to call and people do call him. Saying all that I still only eat meals there maybe twice a month. DQ to me is mostly about the ice cream.   
    pnwchef
    Re:Your Way, Or Their way ??????? 2013/12/25 11:42:52 (permalink)
    It doesn't bother me that teens are cooking, it doesn't take much training to cook burgers on a grill. To me pre made food in any fast food restaurant isn't even close to the quality it could be if made fresh. I think DQ is doing a great job with their $5 meals. My Mollie likes the Chicken strips, fries, drink and a sundae. Where in the heck can you get that for $5 now a days. I see a lot of seniors there, I think it fits their budget just fine. I think this last time at DQ that I ordered the meal fresh cooked is the first time I had a meal that I said was pretty good... Mollie gave it a thumbs up. I'm not saying it's Roadfood, I'm saying get the best food you can where your at............pnwc
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1