Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/18 14:57:54 (permalink)
As usual I am coming late to this topic. I'm using brown text because whilst most folks call chilli a "bowl of red" it, in truth, is usually brown.

I've been in a number of chilli parlours all over the country. And the most successful ones have a simple menu and cater to the taste of their clientle. And I learned about chilli from Joe DeFrates, the only man to win both the CASI and ICS titles.

Were I to hit the lottery I'd start a chilli joint - which has been a pipe dream of mine for some time. I'd run it as long as the money held out. For the menu:

Red Chilli: Made from my own recipe that I serve at chilli suppers and cook in ICS cook offs (win prizes with it, too). In Mild, Medium, Hot varieties. Made with beef and suet and damn the trans-fats (but, that's another thread). With or without beans by using a double dip method to mix the beans into the chilli in the bowl. Served with buttermilk biscuits on the side or oyster crackers.

Chilli Mac using the chilli from menu item #1. Available with meat only, or meat and beans, cheese, chopped onion. Not Cincinatti chilli as allspice in chilli is a taste I never acquired. Served with buttermilk biscuits on the side.

Chilli Dogs using a good 1/4 lb all meat weiner and your choice of mild, medium or hot chilli meat from menu item #1. Options of yellow mustard and/or onions.

Tamales - either by themselves, with some bean gravy, or submerged in a bowl of chilli to make a double-header.

Hamburgers/Cheeseburgers - as straight sandwiches or smothered with menu item #1. In Baja Oklahoma this is called Chilli Size.

A nice beef stew for those who don't (gasp) do chilli. Served with buttermilk biscuits on the side.

Chile Verde Stew: Medium and Hot versions. (made with pork) Served with buttermilk biscuits on the side.

Coffee, Ice tea, Soda, Milk, Buttermilk and Beer (no lite beer allowed)

xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/18 15:01:15 (permalink)
uh..about the chile verde stew..
it's ALWAYS served with tortillas.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/18 15:08:32 (permalink)
Soooo, your a fellow chili head Howdy! Never to late for jumpin in on this thread, welcome! Nice menu! Tamales, of coarse. You may be the first to mention them? Hmm, I need to re read page 1.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/18 18:57:30 (permalink)
Ok Xannie, tortillas it is. They are on page 1., white and yellow corn, along with about 6 kinds of cornbread, lots of breads, and all kinds of crackers. Hmm, we forgot flour, or did we? Xannie, crunchy or soft tortillas? Hey, we'll have both, but what is the standard w/ tha verde stew? Oh, and xannie, how bout stuffed chili peppers, red and green?

The chili CFS is worth a look at the dallasfood.org CFS link here. You gota click the link to see it. Sounds knda weird but? Folks would talk! A great chicken fried steak w/ or w/o chili, works for me! It's a small bowl served on the side. You can put it on top or just have the chili as a side.
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 08:35:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

In your restaurant that may be true. In MY greasy spoon you get buttermilk biscuits, crackers or nothing
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 08:51:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Soooo, your a fellow chili head Howdy! Never to late for jumpin in on this thread, welcome! Nice menu! Tamales, of coarse. You may be the first to mention them? Hmm, I need to re read page 1.
Joe

It may just be a Springfield, IL thing but, the tamale submerged in a bowl of greasy ol' tavern chilli has long been a tradition. It's called a "double header" for reasons of which I have no knowledge. Been cooking chilli in competition for twenty years or so. Win a prize with it now and then - but, it's getting tougher than it used to was.

oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 10:08:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howdy Doodat

quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

In your restaurant that may be true. In MY greasy spoon you get buttermilk biscuits, crackers or nothing

So your going to cater to the tastes of your customers but you're only going to offer biscuits and oyster crackers . And no Cincinnati chili because you haven't acquired a taste for it .

I like biscuits and chili; I'd have biscuits available at my chili parlor. Chili on biscuits (a split, warm biscuit on a plate with chili ladled over it) is a favorite snack for me. I like biscuits better than regular cornbread with chili but not better than a chili cheese cornbread with red and green peppers, cheese and corn included.

I've never seen 'chilli' on a menu in Texas; nor have I ever seen 'chilli size' or chili size to refer to a chili burger or chili cheese burger.

What chili parlors in Texas have you visited?
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 10:40:37 (permalink)
Is that you Howdy? Love the apron. There was a story on the "Sunday Morning" news show about them today.

I bet when Xannie makes a roadtrip to Springfield, just to sample your Chili Verde Stew, you will have some tortillas on hand. Oh, when I come I want some saltines ( its a Texas thing ) w/ my bowl of your own recipe "Hot Red Chili". Ok, I'll try the buttermilk bisquits to.

When I started this thread I was expecting a lot of diiierent ideas about the kinds of chilis to serve, and what needed to be served with it. What I was not expecting is how many folks would actually like to open a chili place someday.

My question is how to serve a hot, but not overcooked, bowl of chili over a long period of time. This has me puzzled. My chili joint will be open for breakfast ( steak, eggs, and chili, mmm ) and will also be open until the late night ( after the bars close ) crowd gets there. Hey, my place is just fantasy so... why not??? Oh, in some places the bars never close. I'll be open 24 hours there.
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 12:51:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oltheimmer

So your going to cater to the tastes of your customers but you're only going to offer biscuits and oyster crackers . And no Cincinnati chili because you haven't acquired a taste for it .

Now you're catching on. I know my clientele. They do oyster crackers in Red Chilli. No crackers at all if the chilli is sufficiently thick. And Cincinatti style (Greek) chilli is not popular here. Chilli Mac or Chilli Three (Four or Five) Ways is quite popular. But, hold the allspice and cinnamon. And if I served tortillas with my Verde I'd get all sorts of questions about "What are we supposed to do with these?" Biscuits and erster crackers they understand.

quote:
I like biscuits and chili; I'd have biscuits available at my chili parlor. Chili on biscuits (a split, warm biscuit on a plate with chili ladled over it) is a favorite snack for me. I like biscuits better than regular cornbread with chili but not better than a chili cheese cornbread with red and green peppers, cheese and corn included.

Thy that over Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits. Yuuuuummmmm!!!

quote:
I've never seen 'chilli' on a menu in Texas; nor have I ever seen 'chilli size' or chili size to refer to a chili burger or chili cheese burger.

That's because y'all dunno how to spell chilli. In Illinois. by law, it is spelled with two "l"s. That is because the Nahutal in Central America - where chilli originated spelled it that way. Also, the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language (what we supposed to speak) spells it as "chilli" for the preferred spelling - with the lazy, single "l" version as a variant.

quote:
What chili parlors in Texas have you visited?

Texas Chili Parlor in Austin; Zowarka's Texas Grill & Chili Parlor in Victoria; H&H Cafe & Car Wash in El Paso (not really a chili parlour but, good all the same); a little greasy spoon diner in Shamrock whose exact name excapes me - sort of an Eat Gas For Less place;several others around the state - but the ones named were the memorable ones.

Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 12:58:59 (permalink)
quote:

Is that you Howdy? Love the apron. There was a story on the "Sunday Morning" news show about them today.

Yeah, guilty as charged, y'r Honor. At the New Berlin County (IL) Fair Regional Cook-Off last year.

quote:
My question is how to serve a hot, but not overcooked, bowl of chili over a long period of time. This has me puzzled. My chili joint will be open for breakfast ( steak, eggs, and chili, mmm ) and will also be open until the late night ( after the bars close ) crowd gets there. Hey, my place is just fantasy so... why not??? Oh, in some places the bars never close. I'll be open 24 hours there.
Joe

The steam table is your friend. Keep the meat and beenz separate. You can hold the meat sauce at 160oF for a loooooong time without ruining it. Beenz too, but, not beenz and meat together.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 13:13:17 (permalink)
Olth, I was typing my post same time as you. Hmmm, what to say? How about... can we have chili peace?... Howdy can have his place in Springfield and Olth can have his in Houstin. Mine will be in every city but those two.

Since I have both you guys attention, have you read my thread about hard to read threads in the Msc. section? I love your pics but would be neat if you could resize them so this thread is easier for many folks to read. If not, no biggie. Please don't delete the pics.

Now, if only Xannie will tell us what kind of tortillas are the best to serve w/ Salsa Verde Stew.
Joe

xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 13:15:04 (permalink)
fresh soft flour tortillas
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 13:35:20 (permalink)
quote:

Olth, I was typing my post same time as you. Hmmm, what do say? How about... can we have chili peace?... Howdy can have his place in Springfield and Olth can have his in Houstin. Mine will be in every city but those two.

I didn't realise that clarifying was considered an argument or war. Given the regional differences what sells and is "normal" in Baja Oklahoma may not fly in Spring-A-Leak, IL. We're pretty provincial and set in our ways. I just thought it was friendly banter. To quote Tom Nall the guy who makes Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chilli Mix "If you can't have fun at this, what's the point?"

I was serious BTW about the chiLLi spelling being the law in Illinois. Some politician with too much time on her hands got a law passed. And our dumb-ass governor (is there any other kind?) signed off on it.

quote:
Since I have both you guys attention, have you read my thread about hard to read threads in the Msc. section? I love your pics but would be neat if you could resize them so this thread is easier for many folks to read. If not, no biggie. Please don't delete the pics.

No I haven't. But, I will try to find it. I didn't realise that the picture(s) could be a problem. I'll try to do better in future.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/19 14:11:11 (permalink)
Ahhh, soft flour, thanks Xannie! If you asked 10 Texans I bet only one would know that. How many folks from Illinios would know I wonder? Nm, everyone knows I am sure.

Howdy, yes, all in fun. You can have chili peace without ever having a war. About the "chili" spelling, some neat stories about how that came about!
Joe
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 02:13:00 (permalink)
Hi hey howarya Howdy(sorry I had to) I noticed that can of Red Gold. They're about my favorite brand (ketchup too). Do you use it in particular or just because? I love all their products. To me they're about the freshest and ripest tasting tomatoes in a can. Not real acidic because they get most of the sugars out in the ripening I believe.

Hey Joe I just come over here from another thread and figured I'd have to throw in "Chili of the Moment " on your chili parlor(hole) menu. Just made up of pieces and parts and what at least for the moment sounds like a good idea. Which to me is what it's about. Campfire is extra!
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 07:28:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

Hi hey howarya Howdy(sorry I had to) I noticed that can of Red Gold. They're about my favorite brand (ketchup too). Do you use it in particular or just because? I love all their products. To me they're about the freshest and ripest tasting tomatoes in a can. Not real acidic because they get most of the sugars out in the ripening I believe.

I use Red Gold by choice. They are the best of the best and I will pay more for them if I have to (don't tell the folks down the grocery) but, they are usually less by a few cents than the "national" brands like Del Monte and Hunts.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 11:17:15 (permalink)
Pat, "chilli of the moment", good idea! It's on the menue. "Never the same, always an adventure" cold be what to say on the menu?

Howdy, this border is beter but I must stil scroll sidways to see who made the post. And you never answered, is that you?

And, was it a sign painter that mispelled chile, so now thats why we call it chili?
Joe
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6460
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 14:32:08 (permalink)
Hey PJ8

I was thinking of dessert

I love making chocolate chess pie, what if we spiced it up a bit and added some heat to the chocolate??

You would get the sweetness of the chocolate and then the kick of the cayenne!!

Sounds like another dessert to add to your menu.

Maybe some jalapeno ice cream on top.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 14:50:24 (permalink)
Neat idea! Sounds like we have at least three good items for the desert menue! Sounds great CK! That jalapeno ice cream can be ordered on the pie, or alacart. I think there may be a few more deserts on P1.?

When I was a kid the Tex Mex places would serve sherbert, lime I think? Was good after a big plate of enchaladas covered with chili!
Joe
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 14:55:16 (permalink)
sherbet is a good thing after a chile burn, I always loved lime and orange
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 15:31:06 (permalink)
Ok, that settles it, sherbet (so thats how you spell it) is also on the desert menue.

The "famous / regional chili" part of the menu is close to done I think, #1 thru 6 + local famous chilis. Oh, I forgot Carroll's and Wick's chili! I stumbled upon a gourmet recipe for Carrol's at "recipe source" sounded good. I bet Wick has one also. Yep, just founds Wick's recipe from 1967. He says that if it's to hot, drink a quart of buttermilk. We can just use the season packs and add to them, make it good and folks will come.

The desert menu has a good start, as does the drink menu. The sides menu is well on it's way. We also have a few other menu items besides chili.

The not so famous part of the chili menu is what needs some work, including it's name. We have the "chili of the moment" but what else? Ah, what about the low carb "black soy bean chili" mentioned on another thread? And chicken, turky, venison, and vegie chilis. I know I forgot some!

Oh, the hot wing "finger food" soup is a must have! Ahhh, what about the "soup and salad" section of the menu?
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 16:15:20 (permalink)
Yep, I forgot to mention quite a few "not so famous" chilis from page one.

Grampas Chili

Chili slopy "papa" joe's

Octoberfest chili

Jane's chili

School cafateria chili mac

Did I miss any chilis from P1.?

Olth is working on the chili cone idea. It needs to be real thick chili so it does not run all out when you take a bite.

From P2.;

Bowl of red

Bowl of red chili mac

Double dip chili

Double header chili
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/20 22:32:18 (permalink)
quote:

Yep, I forgot to mention quite a few "not so famous" chilis from page one.

Grampas Chili

Chili slopy "papa" joe's

Octoberfest chili

Jane's chili

School cafateria chili mac

Did I miss any chilis from P1.?

Olth is working on the chili cone idea. It needs to be real thick chili so it does not run all out when you take a bite.

Is it still chilli if there is no gravy??? Something doesn't ring quite right here. I think this may have potential - but, it's gonna take a LOT of work.

quote:
From P2.;

Bowl of red

Bowl of red chili mac

Double dip chili

Double header chili

Here's my current chilli supper recipe, freely shared.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal Master (tm) v8.06

Title: The Recipe For Chilli Supper Chilli
Categories: Beef, Chilli, Stews
Yield: 5 Gallons

10 lb Ground chuck
8 oz Suet
6 Ribs celery
2 Jalapeno peppers; minced
1 #10 can of tomato sauce
1 tb Chicken base and
1 tb Beef base in
3 qt Boiling water
-=OR=-
48 oz Can chicken broth
-=AND=-
48 oz Can beef broth
8 oz Chilli powder (Baron's Spice Co. #5640)*
2 1/2 oz Cumin; ground
3 tb Brown sugar
3 tb Onion powder (granules)
1 1/2 tb garlic powder (granules)
1 1/2 tb Salt
1 tb Oregano; dried, crumbled
1 tb White pepper
1 tb W powder
3 tb White vinegar
1/2 tb Prune juice

MMMMM-------------------------NEXT-DAY-------------------------------
5 tb Chilliman chilli mix
1 tb Cumin
1 ts Salt
3 #10 Cans Brooks Chili Hot
-Beans

* The successor company to SpiceCraft

This should produce 3 gallons of chilli sauce;
Refrigerate overnight then:

With the addition of the "next day" spice dump and the beans,
there should be 5 gallons of chilli. This should serve:

80 eight-ounce bowls of chilli.
or 64 ten-ounce bowls
or 58 eleven-ounce bowls.
or 40 pint carry-outs

MM Format by Dave Drum - 15 August 2004

MMMMM

I made up a batch (without beenz) this weekend and froze the result in one-quart containers. Ohhhhh, Yeaaaahhhhh!!!

Phish Phetcher
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/21 00:55:34 (permalink)
My Moma's Chili with soda crackers, corn bread and ice cold beer
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/21 12:05:41 (permalink)
We will need that recipe Phish. We have Grampa's but no Mama's so. Maybe post it on the "sticky" recipe thread?
Joe
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/29 13:43:39 (permalink)
Those pictures of CFS with chili looked awesome, I also think a chili cheese burger would go well too.

garlic buttered texas toast, a decent burger, chili, melted cheese, dollop of sour cream and some sliced jalapenos on top.

oh man I am hungry!

PJ8 when do we open??
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/29 14:02:01 (permalink)
Yep CK, that CFS w/ chili looks REAL good! And of coarse, we need some great burgers, w/or w/o chili. We may still have just a bit of work to do on the menue, like listing all the good stuff mentioned here, and then we are ready to open. Hey, it's our fantasy, we can open whenever we like!
Joe
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/29 20:02:43 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Joe

It may just be a Springfield, IL thing but, the tamale submerged in a bowl of greasy ol' tavern chilli has long been a tradition. It's called a "double header" for reasons of which I have no knowledge. Been cooking chilli in competition for twenty years or so. Win a prize with it now and then - but, it's getting tougher than it used to was.

Tiki or Hoffman?....which one?
Howdy??? Izzat you????
We have another contender for Santa Claus here on RF......
My, my, my, triplets are in the house....
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/29 20:20:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

quote:

Joe

Tiki or Hoffman?....which one?
Howdy??? Izzat you????
We have another contender for Santa Claus here on RF......
My, my, my, triplets are in the house....

I'm making a good buck this year selling my list of girls that haven't been good.

Busy baking holiday cookies - various shapes using a basic sugar cookie dough and then iced with red (cayenne spiked) and/or green (jalapeno spiked) frosting. Yuuuuuummmmm!!!!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/29 20:25:10 (permalink)
Those cookies sound really good.
I once did mini cheesecakes with a cherry jalapeno topping.
Gawd, they were good.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1