Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/11/29 20:54:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Those cookies sound really good.
I once did mini cheesecakes with a cherry jalapeno topping.
Gawd, they were good.

Are you on the Chileheads E-Mail List? That sounds like someting one of our folks would do. Heck, we got one dude that makes Habanero Cookies - which ain't as bad as it sounds. (Doug's Eeeeevil Cookies) Recipe follows. Saaaay, these would go good on the dessert cart at the chilli parlour.

Pictures of the Eeeeevil Cookies can be seen here http://tinyurl.com/yb7m3s

These cookies were seen at the October 2000 Hot Luck, held in Warren NJ, on the Food Network TV show "Eat the Heat". Rating: very, very hot (that's why they are "Evil"). If making, please observe all the warnings listed below.

Doug's Evil Cookies

Recipe By: Doug Barnhart,
Serving Size: 1/8 to 1 cookie
Categories: Chile-Heads Chiles Chocolate Hot & Spicy

Amount Measure Ingredients
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 recipe Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for about 48 cookies) (1)
3 tbs smoked habanero powder (heaping) (2)
20 drops PurCap (3)

Preparation Method:

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Thoroughly mix smoked habanero powder in with the dry ingredients. Melt the shortening (butter preferred) and then thoroughly blend in the PurCap. (Handle the PurCap very carefully, then immediately clean up & wash hands.)

Let the shorting re-solidify, but only to the very soft point.

Mix the wet and dry together.

Drop by tablespoonfuls (large) on a sheet of parchment paper or on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for however long your chocolate chip recipe calls for. Let cool on a wire rack.

Ingredient Notes:

1) "Toll House" and "Peanut butter /chocolate chip" are also very good.

2) Applewood-smoked Red Savina or smoked chocolate habanero recommended.

3) This is a solution of pure capsaicin in a vegetable oil - very, very hot.

Use extreme caution with use. Soap cleanup required - not soluble in water.

WARNINGS:

1) When baking, use plenty of ventilation -- any normal members of your family would probably not appreciate gagging and eyes tearing.

2) When done, best to secure the baking pan used away from the normal kitchen area. (Doug thought he had sufficiently cleaned the cookie pan, but hadn't.

Sandy, intending to make normal cookies for the rest of the family obtained cookies that - well - weren't normal. Doug caught hell from Sandy and all three boys.)

3) Use a warning with these cookies. These have a delayed heat, 5 to 10 seconds. A fast cookie muncher could get into extreme trouble before realizing it.

4) Have the "antidote" ready: milk and/or ice cream (water/beer wouldn't work.)

(Those who have lactose intolarence are extremely at risk.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Additional Preparation Suggestions:

For the *extremists* amongst us, two more suggestions are offered:

1) Add a dollop of rich vanilla ice cream on top of a Evil Cookie, then darken the top of the ice cream with some more hab powder. Sort of like taking the poison and the antidote at the same time. (Seen on "Eat the Heat")

2) OK, I know that there are a few really extreme out there -- you know who you are. When baking, after the dough flattens, but before it is done baking, generously sprinkle some Blair's Death Rain on top of selected cookies. (Do remember which.)

WARNING! remove from oven during sprinkling, lest the oven's
convection currents put the powder in your face and eyes.

NOTE that the powder will tend to form clumps on top, producing
interesting hot spots -- even for the experienced CH.

Received from Andy Barnhart, Chile-Heads
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/01 12:10:45 (permalink)
Basically, I used basic canned cherry pie filling and just added jalapenos to it.
The rest of the ingredients is my secret.
Easy to make, it also doubles as a dipping sauce for battered fried pork pieces, and battered fried chicken chunks.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/01 12:44:46 (permalink)
Great, the dessert menue is coming together! Howdy's chili cookies and Roossy's secret recipe jalapeno cheese cake are a must. Don't worrry Roossy, we can keep a secret.
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/01 18:29:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Great, the dessert menue is coming together! Howdy's chili cookies and Roossy's secret recipe jalapeno cheese cake are a must. Don't worrry Roossy, we can keep a secret.
Joe

We'll see. Next Thursday, December 7th (Pearl Harbour Day for all you old pharts), the Illinois Chilli Society will hold its annual holiday party - where the Howdy Doodat cookies will be a part of the dessert selections ... but not Doug's Eeeeevil Cokies.

The Illinois Chilli Society meets every Thursday at noon in some venue or other which serves an honest bowl of red in Central Chillinois. If you are coming this way and jonesing for some good ol' tavern chilli give me a shout and I can probably turn you on to a selection of joints.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/01 20:37:10 (permalink)
Sounds like lotsa fun Howdy! Ok, It's the Howdy Doodat cookies also.

Anyone ever heard of a chili pot pie? With the right crust it might be great? Hmm, maybe a jalapeno conbread kinda crust?
Joe
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/08 10:50:39 (permalink)
Chili pot pie sounds fantastic, Papa!
Maybe even little mini ones as appetizers for the Parlour.
I just googled and saw this..
http://kovax.org/archives/2005/01/
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/09 13:20:53 (permalink)
Roossy, thanks! If I have enough ideas, I'm bound to come up with a good one now and then. It's the blind hog and the acorn kinda thing. I have some small bowls just like the one on your link above. Hmmm, I might try that. My idea was a cornbread crust but??? That puffed deal looks kinda good. We could have an apetizser and a meal size pie.
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/09 17:00:13 (permalink)
quote:

Roossy, thanks! If I have enough ideas, I'm bound to come up with a good one now and then. It's the blind hog and the acorn kinda thing. I have some small bowls just like the one on your link above. Hmmm, I might try that. My idea was a cornbread crust but??? That puffed deal looks kinda good. We could have an apetizser and a meal size pie.
Joe

What about a baked chilli-mac? It's not all that original a dish with me. A local mom & pop pizza parlour does a baked spaghetti that I like pretty well. So, I just filed off the serial numbers and adopted it - using chilli instead of Bolognese red meat gravy. I do it in a metal au gratin dish. Put in the well drained pasta (either spaghetti or linguine) layer on the chilli and cover it with mozzerella. Pop it in the oven until the cheese is browned slightly and serve. Yuuuuuuum

There is a picture of the au gratin dish I'm referencing here:
http://tinyurl.com/yxxymw

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/09 17:42:29 (permalink)
Hey, I like it Howdy!!! Mozzeralla w/ chili, strange but... never tried it. I ment its strange that I have never tried it, but maybe a strange combination also? That link takes you to a SS augratin pan. Can you edit it?
Joe
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/09 17:45:56 (permalink)
quote:

Anyone ever heard of a chili pot pie? With the right crust it might be great? Hmm, maybe a jalapeno conbread kinda crust?
Joe

A daughter of one of the 'ol timers I hang out with and lose checkers to(they cheat I think)brought us lunch the other day.
It was little individual Tamale Pies. She took cornmeal and masa harina and makes like a graham cracker crust(without the graham crackers of course). Fills them with this really good tomatillo, green chili, shaved roast beef spicey mixture she cooks in a crockpot all day. Sprinkles her flour mixture on the top a little but not to much and bakes.
I would have to say it's the closest thing I've had to what I'd call a Chili Pot Pie and the best Tamale Pie I have ever had.

Excuse me now, as I have to brush up on my kinging technique. There's a jug of homemade blackberry wine on the line as the checker championships continue. Got to keep my eye on them 'ol dogs. They oughta be ashamed of themselves, taking advantage of a young man such as myself" />!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/09 18:06:00 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
My dream chilli parlour (and those are the spellings) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. It's downtown in a medium-sized city with a sizeable college. The place is only about 15' wide (maybe even less): just enough to have booths down one side and a counter down the other. The floor is uneven at best. There is only one bathroom, and that room's floor is really whonky.
The name of the place is City Chilli Parlour. It's run by Greek-Americans (naturally). The menu consists of chilli, hamburgers, and hot dogs... nothing else. You can get a five-way there, but you have to bring in your own spaghetti (they don't keep any around, unless someone leaves a partial box). They use aged cheddar from the nearby university's dairy science department. The chilli is heavily laced with a zillion spices and is, similar to really good homemade menudo, a prime-quality hangover cure (or ideal late-night munchie.
Beverages available are coffee and that all-time favorite, Sanitary Cola (made by Sanitary Ice & Bottling Works [Est. 1911]): no two bottles taste exactly alike. And their coffee is so strong that no matter how much half-and-half you put in it, it stays dark.
I should add that the place uses nothing but 100% butter and lard: margarine and "healthy" oils are not a part of their lexicon.
The only oddity to the menu would be that feta cheese is substitutable for cheddar on anything at no extra charge. Imagine... a five way made from feta cheese or a chilli burger (handmade patties only) or chilli dog (top-quality, from a long-established local purveyor) with feta garnish... I really would be prime candidate for cardiac problems if this place really existed....
After all, it's right down the street from The City Cafe', where they have a twelve-page menu of always-available items (they, too, are always open) that includes a chef salad sandwich. Seems they once offered to make any menu item into a sandwich, so some wag came in and ordered that... now they sell something like 200 of them a day, with enormous bread ideal for such purpose made by a local baker.
Gee, I won't go hungry in my novel, will I?
Hardly Hungry In Real Life Either, Ort. Carlton, Well-Fed In Athens, Georgia.
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/09 19:00:22 (permalink)
quote:

Hey, I like it Howdy!!! Mozzeralla w/ chili, strange but... never tried it. I ment its strange that I have never tried it, but maybe a strange combination also? That link takes you to a SS augratin pan. Can you edit it?
Joe

Good! That's where it was supposed to go. I put the link in there in case someone didn't understand what sort of vessel I was referencing.

I use the SS au gratin dishes because A:) I got a whole raft of them cheap on eBay (in two sizes - this one and the next size up); B:) They are definitely dishwasher safe; C:) You really got to try to break one; D:) You can bake them in the oven (or put 'em under your salamander) and not hurt them; E:) They're lots less $$$ than ceramic or LeCreuset and G: They are great for single crust pot pies, shepherd's pies, etc.

You don't have to use mozz for the cheese just becuz that's what I do. I use a mozz that has some flavour. I also keep my grater and some Parmesan handy.

I'd bet it would go good with American cheese (which is really a mild cheddar), Colby, Jack or even Velveeta - which ain't really cheese but is yellow and melts good.

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/10 16:59:15 (permalink)
quote:

Joe

Sounds good to me....both sizes...
And of course, we need Ort on Friday nights to play some of his favorite tunes.
What about the decor...
I like Orts thoughts, but then, we need room for him and his DJ equipment.
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/10 20:13:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Joe

Sounds good to me....both sizes...
And of course, we need Ort on Friday nights to play some of his favorite tunes.
What about the decor...
I like Orts thoughts, but then, we need room for him and his DJ equipment.

Whay sort of music would you have in your chilli parlour??? Mine would be limited to salsa and Western Swing.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/14 13:57:32 (permalink)
I can almost see the place Ort discribed! If you first walked into a large square room, then you could fit the band in. The narrow creeky halways, with the booths on one side, could contenue on to the back of the parlour. A hallway on each side, and a bar and the kitchen in between, might work?

Howdy, no outlaws like Willy, and Whalen, and Me? That was a Ray Wiley Hubbard song. I like to hear Willy over a bowl of chili. A Texas thing maybe?
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/14 21:54:26 (permalink)
quote:

Howdy, no outlaws like Willy, and Whalen, and Me? That was a Ray Wiley Hubbard song. I like to hear Willy over a bowl of chili. A Texas thing maybe?
Joe
I like Willie as well as the next guy. And better than some. And, he's buds with Kinky Friedman, so he must be all right. But, I've got this thing for Bob Wills and Asleep At The Wheel, etc.

So Willie and Waymore Jenkins and Merlin Hoggard in their place. And Western Swing at my chilli parlour. Wouldn't want to be as gauche as those folks who play Ozzy Osbourne records for tea dancing, would we?

And some salsa music to go with the great salsa served there. Not all out strolling mariachi bands ... but, a little salsa, a little maringue, and some ay-yi-yi's would be amiss.

You'll note I have me colours changed to green in honour of the upcoming winter solstice festivals for a number of religions. Got my lighted menorah in the front window - letting my neighbours try to figure out what's up.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 09:55:05 (permalink)
How about a CD juke box? Then folks can play what they want?. We can be kinda picky about what goes in the box. Those hold lotsa music.
Joe
Howdy Doodat
Hamburger
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 10:59:17 (permalink)
What?!?!? And miss out on all those scratchy old 78s with the constantly repeating chords - when the needle sticks in a groove????
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 11:36:59 (permalink)
Your age may be showing Howdy. A whole generation would not have a clue what a 78 is, or a record of any kind.

There are kinda two ideas going on here. A personal chili parlor ( or parlour ) and a combined roadfooder chili parlor, using everyones suggestions. I doubt that the later would be fesable, bet hey, it is fun to think about!
Joe
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 13:27:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howdy Doodat

What?!?!? And miss out on all those scratchy old 78s with the constantly repeating chords - when the needle sticks in a groove????

That would be right up Ort's alley..
Come on Ort... We need you for 'da music!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 13:49:48 (permalink)
Oh, who, that types and spells better than me, has the time to list all the menue suggestions so far? We have famous chili's, regional chili's, more chili's, chili and chile stew. Then there are all the things made with chili and chiles, the breads and crackers, drinks, and the deserts. I am probably forgeting something? What abot the breakfast menue? Hey, it's open 24 hours now! I love chili and eggs, and chili and steak and eggs.
Joe
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 13:57:12 (permalink)
Well, I found the recipe for "Octoberfest Chili"; it is actually credited to Jeanne Owens. Strange ingredients, but don't sell this sucker short; it's damn good. Different is good, when it works.

Tom

1 cup Olive oil
3 pounds Beef round, lean, 1" cubes
2 Onions,medium, finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, med, fine chop
Salt
4 cup Water, boiling
1 teaspoon Caraway seeds
2 teaspoon Sesame seeds
½ teaspoon Oregano, ground, pref. Mexican
3 tablespoon Red chile, ground, hot-mild
1 cup Olives, green, pitted
2 can Kidney beans (16oz ea)

1. Heat the oil in a large saute pan or 6-quart braising pan over medium heat. Add the beef cubes a few at a time, stirring to brown evenly. As they are browned, remove cubes to a plate and set aside, add more cubes to the pan. Continue the process, adding more oil if necessary, until all the meat is browned.~ 2. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.~ 3. Return the beef cubes to the pan, season with salt to taste, then add the boiling water, caraway and sesame seeds, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.~ 4. Gradually stir in the ground chile, tasting until you achieve the degree of hotness and flavor that suits you palate.~ 5. Add the olives and simmer, covered, 1 hour longer.~ 6. Taste and adjust seasonings, the mix in the kidney beans and heat through.~
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 14:09:59 (permalink)
Sounds good to me Mosca! I like the green olives in this. The caraway and sesame seeds are interesting also.
Joe
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 14:45:02 (permalink)
Oh yeah breakfast chili

a chili stuffed omelette

chili smothered, covered, diced, hashbrowns from waffle house

steak and scrambled eggs covered in chili and cheese

a fritatta of steak, egg, cheese covered in a thick smoky hot chili

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/15 14:54:14 (permalink)
Ok, we need larger paper for the menue. CK's breakfast stuff has gotta be on there! Hmm, maybe just a giant blackboard on the wall?
Joe
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/19 17:39:15 (permalink)
Dishes..

Cups for chili

Salt and pepper shakers
http://westernclassics.com/images/cp/cp3_mwc_cp_shaped-sp.jpg
Coffee cups

Glassware

Wallpaper border

Clock.. so we know when to give last call....

Some of the items were taken from westernclassicss.com, and others from flamingchili.com
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/19 17:53:49 (permalink)
Wow, love em Roossy!! I had not even thought about dishes, and glassware, and other stuff like that. Mix and match with the different peppers I think. Folks would say " hey I have four peppers ", others would say " yes but my peppers are bigger than yours ".
Joe
lindabrannen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/23 10:51:37 (permalink)
roossy90

Please give credit where credit is due. The iced tea glasses and the martini glasses are mine.

www.lindabrannen.com
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/23 11:28:58 (permalink)
Linda, nice stuff!

Tom
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Your fantasy chili parlor, what kinds to serve? 2006/12/23 12:25:45 (permalink)
Yes Linda, real nice, and welcome to roadfood!!! Your chili glasses are a must for our chili store!
Joe
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1