Your favorite American microbrew(ery)

Author
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
2012/01/18 22:04:06 (permalink)

Your favorite American microbrew(ery)

this can be your favorite American microbrew, if you want to be specific, or microbrewery (if you feel like you can't just pick one).   

I hope to be able to find some great beer to try by posting this.

My favorite brewery right now is Lagunitas and the beer that really got me hooked is WTF.  I have had others I love, but WTF is my Favorite.  

What is yours?

18 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6412
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/18 22:17:27 (permalink)
    If you ever get to Minnesota you might want to try The Surly Brewing Co..That's the hot high demand brand in the Twin Cities and is limited in distribution.

As far as more nationally distributed microbrews, I've always liked Bell's Brewery out of Comstock, Michigan. Their whole lineup of brews is topnotch.

Then when I go to Wisconsin (about once a month to see the grandboys) I always stock up with the New Glarus Brewing's many labels and brands as they are only sold in Wisconsin.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 12:10:20 (permalink)
    Man... pick ONE? I dunno.

I might pick Dogfish Head, except for the hit-and-miss nature of their offerings. Some are awesome, and some are equally awful.

Davydd's suggestion of Bell's would definitely be in the running. I've never had a Bell's brew that I didn't at least like, and I've had some I love.

North Coast Brewing gets a bid just for Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. I've never had anything else from there, but that one is enough.

Rogue ales are all interesting.

Victory is another. Storm King Stout, you can almost chew it. And they aren't just top fermented, they make a really good pilsner.

Founders, except they are responsible for Old Curmudgeon, which I hate.

I'm going to say Bell's. That is the only brewery where I feel confident shutting my eyes and picking a beer.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5215
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 12:32:55 (permalink)
    Mosca

Man... pick ONE? I dunno.

What he said.  Just picking one from Wisconsin is hard enough!

However, Lake Louie is a consistent favorite.

Brad
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 12:43:08 (permalink)
    I am going to have to see if I can find some of these by me. I am always looking for new beers to try. Flying fish and dog fish are 2 of my other favorites.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 13:39:53 (permalink)
    I occasionally enjoy a Rare Vos from Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY. They have several other good ones also.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 14:08:55 (permalink)
    A lot of microbrewers I know might chafe a bit at most of the places mentioned here being labeled microbrewers.  Most of the ones mentioned are now into "fairly large craft brewery" territory.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 15:20:33 (permalink)
    fattybomatty

I am going to have to see if I can find some of these by me. I am always looking for new beers to try. Flying fish and dog fish are 2 of my other favorites.

A couple of times a year I get together with groups of geographically diverse people and for many years local beer swaps have been part of the festivities.  It's a nice way to sample brews that I otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to experience.

Yeah, I could order a lot of them online but what's the fun in that?

Brad
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 19:57:18 (permalink)
    kaszeta

A lot of microbrewers I know might chafe a bit at most of the places mentioned here being labeled microbrewers.  Most of the ones mentioned are now into "fairly large craft brewery" territory.

You're correct, of course. However, I'm not sure the question would be as much fun if it were restricted to true micros. Part of what I like about it is that I'll be able to track down locally most anything crafty, but I'll just be able to read about the micros. (I can't have alcohol shipped into Pennsylvania.)
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6412
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/19 20:49:18 (permalink)
    kaszeta

Craft vs Microbrew is just linguistics. I feel any beer is fair game to discuss as long as it is good and not a fake marketing craft brew by the BudMillerCoors axis. But if you want real small microbrew then head to Bisbee, Arizona to the Old Bisbee Brewing Co.. It is a recent startup by two former wine makers in an alley with an on premise bar seating about a half dozen and growlers to go.

I like to get in our RV and pub crawl all over Colorado.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/20 00:43:14 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
       Our local Terrapin Beer Co. (Athens, Ga.) is mighty good; so's SweetWater in Atlanta and tiny little Jailhouse Brewing (now THERE'S an original brewer!) in Hampton, Ga.
       My favorite of all is probably Cigar City in Tempa. Wayne Wambles, the brewer, is a genius and creates things nobody but he could pull off.
          Wholeheartedly, Ort.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/20 09:53:22 (permalink)
    Davydd
    But if you want real small microbrew then head to Bisbee, Arizona to the Old Bisbee Brewing Co.. It is a recent startup by two former wine makers in an alley with an on premise bar seating about a half dozen and growlers to go.

Heh, you picked one I've actually been to.  Nice place, and it gave me an additional bar to hang out at when in Bisbee.  :)
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/20 09:58:06 (permalink)
    Mosca
    You're correct, of course. However, I'm not sure the question would be as much fun if it were restricted to true micros.

Point noted.  We're all somewhat limited by what the various laws and eccentricities of beer distribution make available to us. 

Part of what I like about it is that I'll be able to track down locally most anything crafty, but I'll just be able to read about the micros. (I can't have alcohol shipped into Pennsylvania.)

I'm lucky enough that my job has me travel.  And for better or worse, most of that travel is on Southwest.  No baggage charge, so I often bring one of several hard side pelican cases with me so I can easily bring back beer and wine.  Here's a pic of the smallest one I use for quick trips (showing my bringing some Bell's Two-Hearted back to NH):

VenusPaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/22 15:04:00 (permalink)
    Deschuete's Brewery, Bend, OR and Ska Brewery here in Durango are our favorites.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/22 17:52:52 (permalink)
    Dogfish Head. But, they make so little of my favorites!
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 913
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/24 17:47:58 (permalink)
    While often the beer I'll order when available at a tavern or pub is Sprecher Black Bavarian ... I don't know if Sprecher qualifies as a micro-brewery, whatever that is.  I think the Craft Beer label is a more useful term.

I think the thing I like best about craft beer IS in fact the variety ... which largely runs contrary to having just one favorite.
    Craft Beer? ... yes! ...

Large Man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/24 21:48:23 (permalink)
    Terrapin or Sweetwater

saltybill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/25 00:35:24 (permalink)
    My fave Microbrew is the ESB at Sonoma chicken coop in Campbell Ca. But I also like Death by Hops in Hickory, NC, the CSB at Laughing Dog in Sand Point, ID (that's Crotch Sniffing B***ch), pretty much everything from Rogue Brewery in Newport, OR, and my vote for the most scenic brewery is Grizzly Paw in Canmore, BC. PS You can find all these breweries and more by using the iPad app "brewcator"
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Your favorite American microbrew(ery) 2012/01/25 09:19:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the video clip, Sonny.  Although I have to admit that I briefly imagined that all those people were saying, "I am a Kraft beer drinker!"" />
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1