Your favorite pizza places?

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 12 of 14
Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Your favorite pizza places? 2009/06/24 08:46:25 (permalink)
I know few live in my area, but I do have an important announcement for any of you who do visit or for the few who live around here.

For several years I touted Pete's in Daytona Beach as the closest thing to good NYC thin sliced pizza.  Well, my new go to pizza place is Luigi's in Holly Hill.  Luigi is making serious inroads into Pete's business and deservedly so.  He gives you a far better product IMHO.  I don't go to Pete's anymore.

Once I see the police from Daytona Beach and the EVAC guys and gals at Luigi's, the transistion will have been completed.  And the only reason they are not there yet, is they still probably don't know about it.  It's gonna happen.

Luigi is no stranger to the area.  He had an incredibly successful business on West Dixie Highway opposite Plantation Bay; a beautiful single home development.  But, the rent got ridiculous and he refused to re-up.  So, he started all over again in this little town of Holly Hill. 

This is wonderful pizza! I took my son, SK, here.  He loved it.  I went with my father, JohnA, too.  He doesn't eat pizza, but he liked the salad.  You know the older folkes have digestion problems.
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/24 08:49:14
Freddies Mommy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2009/06/24 17:33:07 (permalink)
My Favorite would be Sally's Apizza in New Haven (I do not like Spot or Pepe's), Grimaldi's Under the brooklyn Bridge in NYC, and Freddie's in LOng Branch NJ.

I dont eat frozen Pizza unless I HAVE to.  And I will not order chain pizza either.  I am fortunate to live where we have so many decent pizza places that you just go there.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2009/07/06 16:19:31 (permalink)
I really do have to get some pics of the great pizza at Capriccio's in Richmond.  For Richmond you aren't likely to do any better for NY style.
paceflchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 198
Re:Your favorite pizza places? 2009/08/30 21:13:50 (permalink)
IMOS PIZZA  St. Louis hands down..it was the only thing I missed about back home, It is the cheese, Provel,,,only made in St, Louis.....but I can order it online dryice delivered.....http://www.stlpizza.com/index.asp

awesome try it
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:Your favorite pizza places? 2009/08/31 10:05:15 (permalink)
paceflchick

IMOS PIZZA  St. Louis hands down..it was the only thing I missed about back home, It is the cheese, Provel,,,only made in St, Louis.....but I can order it online dryice delivered.....http://www.stlpizza.com/index.asp

awesome try it

I have tried it and it's not awesome.   There is a reason why Imo's is not one of the biggest pizza chains in the country. 
post edited by collinf - 2009/08/31 10:06:46
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:Your favorite pizza places? 2009/08/31 10:26:02 (permalink)
paceflchick

awesome try it

Are the pizzas shipped uncooked or partially cooked or...?

gregys
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2009/12/09 13:55:54 (permalink)
The Squirrel Hill shops like Mineos is absolutely out of this world. Its all in the dough. Never had anything like it anywhere else. Kinda sweet and chewy. Its to die for.

IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2009/12/17 13:28:27 (permalink)
Best Pizza (non chain)
1. Famous Ray's of Greenwich Village (between 11th and 12th st. and 6th av)

2. Bilbo's Pizza in Kalamazoo Michigan
Picture of Bilbos

3. Uno/Due in Chicago

Best Pizza (chains)
1. Uno's (the chain)
2. Z Pizza
Picture of Z Pizza

3. Godfather's Pizza
Picture of Godfathers
post edited by IntelligentT82 - 2010/01/21 11:21:37
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/02 10:03:59 (permalink)
My Favorite pizza in Pennsylvania is Cebula's in Dupont. One of the most unique and best tasting pizza's I have ever had the pleasure of Eating.

Thank Joerogo for the picture.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4059
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/02 17:19:11 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Here are some of my favorites from "over the years":

Villanova Inn, New Castle, PA. Great food and cheap beer!

Inner-Circle Pizza in Poland OH. Never disappointed. Great wings, too.

Grotto Pizza in Dewey Beach, DE. Someone above observed that everyting tastes good in the salt-air. Grotto Pizza certainly does.

Ledo Pizza in suburban DC. There's something about sweet sauce on thin square pieces that is a refreshing change of pace.

Faccia Luna, Clarendon Metro, Arlington, VA. We always enjoyed their wood-fired pies with their generous antipasto.

Covino's in Plano, TX is our Dallas-area choice for a "Faccia Luna" antipasto+pizza meal. Extremely nice folks run this place. And they "import" their wonderful tiramisu from NJ!

Mario's on Wilson BV in Arlington, VA. Their square pieces must be comsumed immediately; they do not "travel". I always had one with "pep" and another with BBQ while waiting for Lefty to whip up my ham, steak, & cheese sub.

Campisi's Egyptian in Dallas. Great atmosphere and good (for Dallas) oval-shaped, thin-crust pies.

Since we moved from McLean, VA to Dallas in 2005 a number of "gourmet" pizza places have sprung up, Olivella's in Park Cities being the best (IMHO) among them. But Fireside Pies @ Legacy-Plano, Campania in Southlake, Coal Vines in Dallas, and Grimaldi's (of NYC fame) in Allen all serve wonderful Neopolitan-style pizza.

With these places Dallas, the corporate home of Pizza Hut, has moved from a "chain-pizza desert" to the "big leagues" of pizza.

A little more than a year later I'd add a wonderful new place in "Old Town" McKinney, TX to my list:  Sauce of the Square.  Their crust recipe is designed by "Voila", the best bread bakery in the Metroplex and they make a pie to rival Olivella's as the best Neopolitan pizza west of the City.  In fact, Voila's baguettes are the best I've had west of Paris!
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/02 17:25:27 (permalink)
Wow that Roseland Apizza( See Review) sure looks as it would be at the top of my list!! I have got to get there!! As for me Lombardis, and Patsys, would be up near the top! But Iv'e had some amazing pie at my Brothers place just eating a nice warm slice of cheese from a slice pie!!  Rocco's In Bedminster N.J. (plug plug!) I know that they use good ingredients and that is half the battle sometimes!!
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/03 18:56:36 (permalink)
I had the pleasure of eating some of the pizza at LaScicilia on Washington Ave in Belleville, NJ, right across the street from city hall.  A great Grandma & traditional pie, their review by the Star Ledgers Munchmobile Pizza Patrol was very favorable, a great tasting sauce with a crust with a nice crunch.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/04 09:37:43 (permalink)
Favorite Thin Crust: Marion's Pizza - Dayton, OH
Favorite New York Style: Johnny's Pizzeria - Centerville, OH
Favorite Deep Dish: Gino's East - Chicago, IL
Favorite Artisanal: Motorino's - New York, New York
Favorite Chain: California Pizza Kitchen
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/04 09:41:16 (permalink)
Soccer862923

I agree with your favorite chain. California Pizza Kitchen. There was one in Beavercreek at the mall but it closed. There is a new place in the same spot have you tried it?...Russ
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/06 07:51:04 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

Soccer862923

I agree with your favorite chain. California Pizza Kitchen. There was one in Beavercreek at the mall but it closed. There is a new place in the same spot have you tried it?...Russ

Yeah I have and I have such mixed feelings on it really. I like it concept that they are trying to do the CPK thing and make "artisanal" style pizzas with higher end quality goods but I have never had anything but a "meh" experience about it.

Constistently the service is pretty poor. My mom and I went there about 2 months ago for dinner and we were practically the only ones in the restaurant at 6pm, can't remember what day of the week. It took forever for out waitress to get our order, I never got a refill on my water, and it took 10 min of waiting and a trip up to the bar to get our bill.

The pizza is ok in my opinion and despite the fact that they used higher end quality goods I can't help but feel like the pizzas are overpriced for what you get. If I remember correctly a smaller sized pie is at least $13 and I can easily put 1 away by myself. The larger pies go upwards of $18 and that is just a little too rich for my blood for what I feel like I am getting.

With that said I think that their salads are pretty good and fulfilling. They have about 8 different kinds and are relatively moderately priced at around $5 for a half and $8-9 for a full one. Appetizers always seem to be a good idea in concept but lacking a little bit. Last time we got the breadsticks with marinara and while the bread was pretty tasty the marinara was pretty darn bland.

It may be worth a stop by if you are looking for that kind of experience and happen to be in the area but I can't really recommend making a trip for the sole purpose of going there.

I also miss CPK being there. It is probably my favorite chain, behind The Pub, and if it was still there I know I would be there about once a week because I think they can just do so many tasty things with their pizzas, plus the consistency in service and pies is pretty darn solid.
irishtom29
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/13 21:56:15 (permalink)
I'm keen on Phil's in Chicago, on 35th St and Aberdeen in Bridgeport, just east of Bubbly Creek. The crust is thin but breadier than the "cracker" places like Vito and Nicks. The cheese is high quality and the sausage is as good as any I've had, very flavorful.

irishtom29
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/01/13 22:00:10 (permalink)
Aurelio's at Harrison and Canal is very good when it's good but it's inconsistent; sometimes it comes undercooked. But when done well it's very good; thin crispy crust, excellent cheese, good sauce and quality toppings.

juiceflash!
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/02/03 10:51:57 (permalink)
By far the best pizza in Miami has to be "Andiamo"! Authentic Italian (NOT American/Italian) pizza cooked in a real brick oven, in 10 years on Biscayne avenue's Design District it has become a central point of reunion, hey, you can even give your car a full valet treatment as you enjoy the setting sun on the terrace with your vino e pizza!

I go once a week and spend 2 to 3 hours relaxing, eating and doing my other favourite pass time...trading FX on my laptop!

ALLGOOD
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/02/03 13:14:47 (permalink)
DeMarini's in Menomonee Falls, WI (western 'burb of Milwaukee).
Thin crust..not powdery..crisp...nice amount of grease...sauce is the best.  Their cheese pizzas have about 2lbs of SLICED mozz on them.  Awesome
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/06/11 07:46:33 (permalink)
My wife and I went to Pizza Palace in Knoxville this week.  I've lived here 17 years, had heard Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive Ins Dives had highly recommended it and still had not been there, until this week.
It's a drive -in which makes it a rather unique pizza joint.  We ordered a pepperoni & sausage, along with some onion rings ( had heard those were grewt as well).  The pizza was awesome,  so darn good.  Excellent cheese and lots of flavor.  The car hop said they make everything themselves, fresh dough, make their own sausage.  Truly an outstanding pizza.
Onion rings were good as well.  I'll come back again.  Can't believe I've been looking for a decent pizza place in Knoxville for a long time and finally found it.
stevep
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/06/11 09:43:59 (permalink)
Thin crust is all I really care for. TC Lando's and Sal's Pizza are probably my favorites.
HPlatz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/06/13 18:05:06 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

MetroplexJim

Grotto Pizza in Dewey Beach, DE. Someone above observed that everyting tastes good in the salt-air. Grotto Pizza certainly does.

Ledo Pizza in suburban DC. There's something about sweet sauce on thin square pieces that is a refreshing change of pace.

Faccia Luna, Clarendon Metro, Arlington, VA. We always enjoyed their wood-fired pies with their generous antipasto.

Covino's in Plano, TX is our Dallas-area choice for a "Faccia Luna" antipasto+pizza meal. Extremely nice folks run this place. And they "import" their wonderful tiramisu from NJ!

Mario's on Wilson BV in Arlington, VA. Their square pieces must be comsumed immediately; they do not "travel". I always had one with "pep" and another with BBQ while waiting for Lefty to whip up my ham, steak, & cheese sub.

Campisi's Egyptian in Dallas. Great atmosphere and good (for Dallas) oval-shaped, thin-crust pies.

Since we moved from McLean, VA to Dallas in 2005 a number of "gourmet" pizza places have sprung up, Olivella's in Park Cities being the best (IMHO) among them. But Fireside Pies @ Legacy-Plano, Campania in Southlake, Coal Vines in Dallas, and Grimaldi's (of NYC fame) in Allen all serve wonderful Neopolitan-style pizza.

With these places Dallas, the corporate home of Pizza Hut, has moved from a "chain-pizza desert" to the "big leagues" of pizza.

A little more than a year later I'd add a wonderful new place in "Old Town" McKinney, TX to my list:  Sauce of the Square.  Their crust recipe is designed by "Voila", the best bread bakery in the Metroplex and they make a pie to rival Olivella's as the best Neopolitan pizza west of the City.  In fact, Voila's baguettes are the best I've had west of Paris!

There's a Faccia Luna in State College, PA right up the street from me and I agree their pizza is among the best, certainly the best in this town.  I guess it's a mini 2 or 3 restaurant chain.  That Cebula's in Dupont looks great as well.  Back home in the PA Coal Region the top pizza to me has to be Centiole's in Girardville.  Next time in NEPA I gotta look for that Cebula's.  That's the kind of pie I grew up eating.  Looks similar to Marrone's.

cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/10/17 22:00:57 (permalink)
My new favorite pizza place since I've moved is definitely the Reservoir Tavern in Boonton NJ. Outstanding is the only word I can find to describe it. Grrrr.....now I'm annoyed because it's too late to get some...
oigetit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/11/02 19:29:37 (permalink)
When in Chicago, ya gotta try Phil's Pizza.  Absolutely captures the Chicago style taste 100%.  They roll out the sausage to cover the entire crust. Sausage in every bite!
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2010/11/02 22:16:15 (permalink)
I like Sportstime Pizza on Grantline Road in New Albany.They make their own Pizza and they are also a micro brewery "Newalbanian Brew Comp"
Try the Community Dark beer, you will like it!

Georgieporgie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2011/02/18 14:53:49 (permalink)
Ronaldi's pan or even Giordano's... mmmmmm Sweet home chicago....
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 730
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2011/02/18 20:13:01 (permalink)
Although I could eat at several pizza places across the river in Evansville, Indiana, I have over the last year favored a little hole-in-the-wall place (two tables) in Henderson, Kentucky called Dave's Pizza (614 North Green Street) that has been around since 1970.  They have a very delicate, almost potato chip thin (but sturdy) crust.  I've known about it for years, but it has risen to the top of the list in my area because its competitors have gradually fallen down on the job.  They have few (but good) toppings.  Nothing fancy.  It's the crust that brings you back time and again.  The secret is in the oven; it's what makes it stand out among other pizza parlors.  People from Evansville (10 miles away) who know about it come through its door fairly frequently.

post edited by Louis - 2011/02/18 20:16:16
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2011/02/19 09:04:34 (permalink)
So many to choose from here,Jersey is blessed...but lately I'm loving DiNino's here in Brick...a great New York style thin crust!!!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2011/02/20 07:04:41 (permalink)
HPlatz

MetroplexJim

MetroplexJim

There's a Faccia Luna in State College, PA right up the street from me and I agree their pizza is among the best, certainly the best in this town.  I guess it's a mini 2 or 3 restaurant chain.  That Cebula's in Dupont looks great as well.  Back home in the PA Coal Region the top pizza to me has to be Centiole's in Girardville.  Next time in NEPA I gotta look for that Cebula's.  That's the kind of pie I grew up eating.  Looks similar to Marrone's.

Faccia Luna's first store was the one in State College and is one of the nearly infinite number of reasons why that area is called "Happy Valley".
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2011/02/20 07:09:00 (permalink)
leethebard

So many to choose from here,Jersey is blessed...but lately I'm loving DiNino's here in Brick...a great New York style thin crust!!!

So true.  It has been my experience that the further East one goes, the better the pizza.

Fuhgettaboutit!

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 12 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1