The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your favorite pizza places?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 14, messages 121 to 150 of 395
clemspal

• Total Posts: 70
RE: Your favorite pizza places? Sun, 05/30/04 2:50 PM (permalink)
there used to be two places in orlando ; la cantina , on hwy 50 , out near herndon airport ( 436 & 50 ) , and over on lake underhill road , johnny's . la cantina pizza was just plain GOOD !!! , everything about it . at johnny's , it was all in the fresh mozzarella grated over the pie , as it came out of the oven . cheese heaven

in san francisco , there was a place down in the marina that made a clam & garlic pie that was to die for . they added a second store , up on van ness somewhere . village pizza . oh heck , i might as well mention goat hill , over on potrero hill . get a window seat , have a pitcher of anchor steam ( made right around the corner ), and know how good life can be . the spinach & feta pie is KILLER !!!

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
    RE: Your favorite pizza places? Mon, 05/31/04 9:14 PM (permalink)
    I love all pizza, even BAD pizza, but over the years, I've found some I really like:

--Mac & Manco on the Jersey boardwalks. Thin crust, gooey, greasy fun

--Matthew's Pizza in Baltimore. Really fun, authentic Balto experience. Since I live near there now, I visit fairly often. They do a great "traditional" pizza that is just juicy tomatoes, grated cheese and spices. It's a really fun place, and very inexpensive

--Lido Pizza, different places in MD. This is a sort of franchise, I think, but I like the style of pizza (don't know or care if it's authentic). Sweet sauce, thin pie-crust type of crust in rectangular trays. Really good.

Can't believe I lived in CT for years and missed the New Haven places. Oh well, some day...

takats

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Your favorite pizza places? Mon, 05/31/04 9:58 PM (permalink)
      I agree that Pepe's and Sally's should both be on this list, but adding the Spot to make a "trinity" is silly since their pizza is essentially identical to Pepe's. I would add that there's no question that New Haven's Modern Apizza deserves to be on the list. Their meatball pizza is truly outstanding (and they're open for lunch). They also have the best service of the three. For truly outstanding New Haven style pizza in the Detroit area, try Tomatoes Apizza in Farmington Hills. The owner claims to have trained at Pepe's; the pizza happily seems to bear out this contention.

Roadfoodwarrior

• Total Posts: 8
        RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 06/4/04 9:55 AM (permalink)
        Rossini's in Cheshire CT has what I think is the best Pizza outside of Wooster St in New Haven.

for a frozen pizza like treat I like mystic brand. I wouldn't feel right calling any frozen pizza ...pizza though.

greasewheel

• Total Posts: 52
          RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 06/4/04 10:24 AM (permalink)
          Have to agree with Colony in Stamford, CT as well. One of my favorites. Also a favorite of mine but not well know is Beverly Apizza in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. This is the place that inspired my user name. I swear the same two cooks have worked there forever!

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
            RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 06/17/04 3:25 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by arbusjones

Finding good pizza or any Italian food in Minnesota is like finding good skiing in Miami in
            August. However, Cossetta's at 211 7TH ST W near Downtown St.Paul is pretty good.

I can't find anyplace here in central SC that's acceptable. Cossetta's is almost worth the $240 airfare to the Cities all by itself. My other have-to-have-it-if-I'm-in-town place is Carmine's in South Pasadena.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
              RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 06/17/04 4:18 PM (permalink)
              I have yet to find a good pizza (at least what I consider good) in the whole Baltimore area. Everyone raves about Matthews but it is not the pizza that I am used to. I want it thin and crispy underneath and really flavorful fresh tasting sauce and cheese....I would enjoy any add-ons but the basics have to be just right.

Incidentally, does anyone have a really super recipe for homemade crust? I have tried so many and none are what I would like them to be.

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 06/17/04 5:42 PM (permalink)
                I just returned to San Diego from Ct and I am sad to report I had bad pizza both times I went to Pepes. When I lived there we would go once per week. Sal never let me wait inline and would always find us a table. The first time the crust was to think nand there was not the normal amount of toppings. The second time the sauce was very sour. We did not finish it and went to Sallys and tried again. Much better but I normally like Pepes better. Will try again in 3 months when Ii go back.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                  RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 06/17/04 7:28 PM (permalink)
                  Katie, I agree, not much here in Baltimore as far as good pizza. Matthews is OK but it is a little different. Just about the only place I go to is Pizza Johns on Back River Neck Road in Essex. Very tasty crust, and top notch toppings. Pepperoni and meat sauce are the standouts. Since you missed Crabstock, let's meet for a pizza. Takes me 25-30 minutes to get there, but it's worth it. Some of the best subs in town, too. It's just subs and pizza mostly, lots of carryout, but you won't believe your eyes when you see this place. I've never seen less than 20 people working behind the counter. It's spotless too, and there's a Rita's water ice just across the street for dessert.

Ted Steak

• Total Posts: 60
                    RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 06/17/04 8:58 PM (permalink)
                    Being Jersey Shore born and bred, I gotta say that I love, love, love the "Tomato Pies" made at Vic's, in Bradley Beach. One of a kind taste...just awesome awesome stuff!

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
                      RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 06/18/04 8:06 AM (permalink)
                      Top pies on my list.

Papa's - Milford CT, (Take out only)
                      Modern Pizza - New Haven CT

Beverly - Bridgeport CT

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                        RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 06/18/04 9:26 PM (permalink)
                        Adjacent to the North End in Boston.
                        A real roadfood looking type of place-on Blackstone St. in the Pushcart Market area-Haymarket Pizza
                        Just left there tonite-$1.00 per slice for cheese,$1.50 for one with a topping
                        Sauce is a little sweeter, a little different.
                        One of the few places I enjoy onion pizza.
                        DaveM

bahabalyn

• Total Posts: 18
                          RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 06/18/04 9:53 PM (permalink)
                          Giordano's in Chicago is my all time favorite......I no longer live in the area and visited Tampa last winter to find they had Giordano's in the Orlando area.......you know I was on the interstate that same day to get my stuffed pizza fix......it was just as good as ever...real heaven on earth!

Cheese Board in Berkley, Ca.......really fresh tasting herbs on it and sooooooo wonderful!

Little Nippers in Mt. Lenanon, Pa. puts together a wonderful thin crust pie and I love, love, love it with all the traditional toppings minus the anchovies!

Woo

• Total Posts: 64
                            RE: Your favorite pizza places? Sun, 06/20/04 8:08 PM (permalink)
                            If anyone is in the Northeast Ohio area, it would be well worth your while to come to Wooster and try Coccia House Pizza! It's still in the same home that the Grandma made it in originally back in the 50's, there's a small restaurant and bar, but most of us call and order and go pick it up, no delivery! The crust is great, the toppings are covered with provolone cheese, it's pretty garlicky, and it weighs a ton! A piece or two of this, and you are full! Great pizza!

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                              RE: Your favorite pizza places? Wed, 06/30/04 8:11 PM (permalink)
                              sorry if it's been mentioned, but----Mama Bearno's Special Pizza at the 6-7 store chain in Louisville-Lexington, KY was outstanding.

flattop5

• Total Posts: 113
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Your favorite pizza places? Wed, 06/30/04 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                Don't think this one's been mentioned in the pantheon of great CT pizza:[url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=77']Perroti's[/url] in Middlebury. I would rate them up there with Pepe's (when Pepe's is good, which it sadly wasn't the last time), Modern, and Roseland (have not been to Sally's, and judging from the prior mentions sounds like it's not worth it). The calamari at Perroti's is also tops, and the people are really nice too. Out of the way, but you don't have an hour's wait, either.

Closer to home, also give high marks to [url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=421']Letizia's[/url] and [url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=568']Carminuccio's[/url]. And thanks to this site (and the books that spawned it) for bringing them all to our attention.

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
                                  RE: Your favorite pizza places? Wed, 06/30/04 9:11 PM (permalink)
                                  Y'all please stop with this pizza talk, I am so hungry, I may have to drive 350 to Denver to get a GOOD pizza

The Lady

greasewheel

• Total Posts: 52
                                    RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 07/1/04 7:54 AM (permalink)
                                    legalLady, I lived in Denver for a few years and believe me, there is no such thing as good pizza! IMHO

Xintara

• Total Posts: 1
                                      RE: Your favorite pizza places? Tue, 07/13/04 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                      Staten Island NY- DeNino's white pizza, and their fried calamari was pretty awesome too...it's been a few years though so I don't know anymore.

San Fernando Valley, Ca- Numero Uno Pizza, the stuff that college food is made of...can live off that pizza, it's deep dish, which I don't usually care for but it was so delicious...that was even more years ago than DeNino's though.

I haven't found any in Dallas, Tx yet, I'll have to see if hubby knows where Roy51's places are.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        RE: Your favorite pizza places? Wed, 07/14/04 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by clemspal

there used to be two places in orlando ; la cantina , on hwy 50 , out near herndon airport ( 436 & 50 ) , and over on lake underhill road , johnny's . la cantina pizza was just plain GOOD !!! , everything about it . at johnny's , it was all in the fresh mozzarella grated over the pie , as it came out of the oven . cheese heaven

in san francisco , there was a place down in the marina that made a clam & garlic pie that was to die for . they added a second store , up on van ness somewhere . village pizza . oh heck , i might as well mention goat hill , over on potrero hill . get a window seat , have a pitcher of anchor steam ( made right around the corner ), and know how good life can be . the spinach & feta pie is KILLER !!!

Village Pizzeria is between Geary and Post on Van Ness and is, in fact, where I most often get pizza, but I can't call it the equal of pies commonly available in eastern cities. It's OK, not great. Other local spots include Viccolo (too Californicated for my taste but popular), Pauline's (gets raves in the foodie press but I haven't been there in years), Tomasso's (North Beach icon where rumor has it Francis Ford Coppola used to make pies for the pure pleasure of it--they are also good but not great), the venerable Marcello's in the Castro (OK if you're in the hood) and The Front Room on California St. at Larkin (also passable but not worth a trip across town).

Personally, I had a slice yesterday at a place I've walked past for years and never tried--on the west side of Polk (OK, pack your mace!) between California and Pine. They have pizzas in the window. Very good IMHO--among the best I've had locally.

Disclaimer: My pizza taste is east coast bred. I like it thin crust, not too much cheese, maximally spicey/herbie/garlicky sauce. I usually put red pepper flakes and additional parmesan on it. I think making a pizza with pineapple and/or ham is an abomination that should be punishable by burning at the stake.

Wallyum

• Total Posts: 627
                                          RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 07/15/04 12:52 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by BBQ Barney

sorry if it's been mentioned, but----Mama Bearno's Special Pizza at the 6-7 store chain in Louisville-Lexington, KY was outstanding.

I agree. We ate at one in Louisville by the bridge several weeks ago and it was mighty impressive. Our waiter talked me out of getting the largest pizza on the menu because he said that three of us could never finish it. I went with his advice, but shouldn't have. I left with some room to spare when I could have easily fit several more pieces in. Excellent pizza, but it was one of the deadest places I've ever seen on a Friday night. We had tickets to a Louisville Bats game and I was shocked that it looked almost deserted after the game also. Must do a big lunch business.

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                                            RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 07/15/04 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:
                                            Originally posted by BBQ Barney

I agree. We ate at one in Louisville by the bridge several weeks ago and it was mighty impressive. Our waiter talked me out of getting the largest pizza on the menu because he said that three of us could never finish it. I went with his advice, but shouldn't have. I left with some room to spare when I could have easily fit several more pieces in. Excellent pizza, but it was one of the deadest places I've ever seen on a Friday night. We had tickets to a Louisville Bats game and I was shocked that it looked almost deserted after the game also. Must do a big lunch business.

Thanks for the validation--I'm impressed by your appetite! My wife and I couldn't finish a medium (14") mama bearno's special--and I don't think we're amatuers. The Jeffersonville KY location was also quite empty, but delivery and carryout quite active.

alb

• Total Posts: 47
                                              RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 07/29/04 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Marsh

Mario's on 61st street in Galveston, the one on the seawall is kinda of fancy for pizza, but good though.

My favorite there is shrimp, onions, mushrooms! I like to watch them toss the dough. Sometime while tossing they'll fling it out into the seating area to give some kids a thrill. Their linguini and clams ain't bad, either.

poundpod

RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 07/29/04 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                                The Black River Barn, Route 10, Randolph, New Jersey

Thin Crust bar pizzas, from a wood-fired oven. The plain is outstanding. Great sauce/cheese balance. Quality ingredients, and that charred bottom from a real wood fire.

And for a walk on the wild side, they make an amazing thin crust pie with just asiago cheese, arugula, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic and olive oil---a few black olives. Yuuuuuum. Good beer list, too.

Rick

Edwaste

RE: Your favorite pizza places? Thu, 07/29/04 10:57 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by flattop5

Don't think this one's been mentioned in the pantheon of great CT pizza:[url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=77']Perroti's[/url] in Middlebury. I would rate them up there with Pepe's (when Pepe's is good, which it sadly wasn't the last time), Modern, and Roseland (have not been to Sally's, and judging from the prior mentions sounds like it's not worth it). The calamari at Perroti's is also tops, and the people are really nice too. Out of the way, but you don't have an hour's wait, either.

Closer to home, also give high marks to [url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=421']Letizia's[/url] and [url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=568']Carminuccio's[/url]. And thanks to this site (and the books that spawned it) for bringing them all to our attention.

Another great and rarely mentioned place for pizza in CT is [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1222']Lorenzo's.[/url] The sausage on the pie was truly fresh tasting. Great crust.
                                                  I may be biased in my opinion, but I think CT has the largest number of legendary pizza houses per capita.

rh8x

• Total Posts: 2
                                                    RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 07/30/04 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    Brother's Pizza Blows! So does Al John's. ALl of NJ pizza Blows!
                                                    NYC has real Pizza!
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by SkyyeBlue

I grew up on Brother's Pizza, in East Brunswick, NJ, just off of Route 18. Awesome, hole in the wall but delicious NY style pizza.

Down here in Florida land (that would be Flaaaarida for youse that speak New Joisey) there is a little place called "Babe's Pizza" in Brandon, very good, a tiny little place that also features a train track built into the upper part of the walls that runs around and round.

Anybody been either of these places??

OK, one more, but not for pizza... for Stromboli... the original "Stuff Yer Face" in New Brunswick near Rutgers... mmmmmm good.

Comments??

rh8x

• Total Posts: 2
                                                      RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 07/30/04 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                                      Little Caesar's HAD the best pizza until Hormel purchased them, and changed the sauce.

Tower Pizza -1970's Ohio Owners died in car accident and place closed.
                                                      Master Pizza -1970's Ohio Owners retired and new owners could not duplicate sauce, or overall experience.
                                                      Danny Boyz -1970's Ohio Still going strong, but not as good as above.

Delorenzo's - Trenton's best
                                                      JoJo's - Trenton's 2nd best

Lombardis - NYC best
                                                      John's on bleeker - NYC 2nd best

Ginoseast - Chicago's best
                                                      Lou Malnati's - Chicago's 2nd best
                                                      Rosati's - Chicago's 3rd best

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
                                                        • Location: New Haven, CT
                                                        RE: Your favorite pizza places? Fri, 07/30/04 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                                        Edwaste....is Lorenzo's in West Haven?

bxfinest

• Total Posts: 79
                                                          RE: Your favorite pizza places? Mon, 08/2/04 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                          NICKS, NICKS, NICKS!!! On E Gun Hill Road in the Bronx...
                                                          Great slices, calzone(best in the Bronx), sicilians, heros and mozorella beef patties. Simply the best...

Others

Marcello also on E gun Hill before he moved.(fabulous well down crust pizza) Where ever you are we miss you!!!
                                                          Rays Famous in Manhattan (excellent pizza)
                                                          Romeos in South Jamaica, Queens

Edwaste

• Joined: 12/12/2001
                                                            • Location: Milford, CT
                                                            RE: Your favorite pizza places? Mon, 08/2/04 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by booboobirdie

Edwaste....is Lorenzo's in West Haven?

Click on the name[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1222']Lorenzo's[/url] and it will link you to the Roadfood review. Lorenzo's in in Sandy Hook, CT.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 14, messages 121 to 150 of 395

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com