Your favorite pizza places?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Author
lilbuddypizza
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2004/12/27 12:24:21 (permalink)
CHICAGO AREA PIZZAS
Simply Slices in Crestwood: Exc. thin crispy, yet somehow soft interior---like bread. GREAT tomato-ey sauce with no acidity, good sausage.Order a whole pizza to get the whole experience.
Palermo's (on 63rd Street): This is a sweet sauce, but rich and thick. The crust perfect area between thin and thick--actually has a great taste of its own. Stuffed is excellent and so is the Deep Dish(2" thick crust). Near Midway Airport---for air travellers a good stop.
Old World Pizza on North Ave., just off Harlem: Get the deep dish (here it is like Chicago style[Uno's or Gino's]). Great balanced pizza sauce, exc.sausage. Cheese not too gooey, so you can eat while driving. I go out of my way for this one.
Mama K's (is it Norridge,IL?) by Ohare airport: A MUST is the slices. They are rectangular and big, sliced froma full sheet tray of a great pizza. Pizza has great fresh tomato flavor with maybe a hint of onion or onion powder. Never had their regular pizza--the slices can't be passed up.
Beggar's pizza, locations thru-out SW side of Chicago and burbs: The regular is heavy with plenty of ingredients, but the deep dish(cheese on bottom) is awesome--plenty of sauce gooey cheese and a part cornmeal crust that tastes incredible.A mess to eat, so park your ride.
Pizza King in New Lenox: Now here is a place that Chicago needs more of. This harks back to the great early 70's of Chicago style pizza. Crust is just thick enough to hold it together, sauce is difficult to explain, but it is great, non-acidic, and maybe gravy-like. The cheese is baked to a golden brown, with the dark brown bubbles on top. No undercooked crap here.Good sausage.
Pizza Castle on West 55th Street (near Midway): A staple of the community since the 70's, this place makes their own sauce and sausage, and it is worth it! Thin-like crust and again a tomato sauce that has all the flavor, but none of the acid. Sausage is exquisite. Try the Chorizo topping--spicy, but great. Their stuffed is made the way EVERYONE made it in the early 70's---actually "stuffed", with a minimum of sauce on the top outer part--all the goods are inside!No undercooked top layer here (ahem..Giordano's!!!).
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2004/12/28 12:21:06 (permalink)
As far as nontraditional pizzas go, I must admit a weakness for the alfredo pizza of Felix & Oscar's of Des Moines, Iowa. I can only eat about half as many slices as I can of regular pizza...it's incredibly filling and tastes great.

Brad O.
Scott Farkus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2004/12/31 20:28:42 (permalink)
the best pizza in SoCal I have found:

Petrillo's Pizza Restaurant

833 E Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
626-280-7332
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2004/12/31 20:56:51 (permalink)
Another Voice from Chicago: Best pan style is a little joint in Morton Grove (North suburbs)called Burt's Place. Burt Katz has a long and glorious, but low key reputation in the world of Chicago styel pizza. His first place in the early sixties was an Evanston establishment called "The Inferno". After that he was one of the founders and original owners of "Gulliver's" up on the north side. His best known place was opened in the early seventies, also in Morton Grove, "Pequod's" He sold that place in 1986 (the quality and popularity have been slipping ever since). Burt layed low until '89 when he opened his latest operation two blocks away from "Pequod's". The crust is a happy medium between the thin crust and the stereotype thickness associated with most other Chicago pan pizzas. Ingredients are unbelievably fresh-onions, mushrooms, tomatoes. The "green peppers" are actually a selection of green, red, yellow and orange peppers. Depending on availability, mushrooms might include, in addition to the usual white buttons, shiitakes porcinis and portabellos. Even the spinach is fresh leaf instead of the usual frozen stuff you find at most pizza places. The decor is classic roadfood: real knotty pine panelling, beat up old booths, great old pictures on the walls, and a vast collection of antique radios and other esoteric bric-a-brac. Whenever possible, call ahead. The number is unlisted, so here it is: (847) 965-7997.

As for stuffed pizza, I'm partial to Nancy's (try the chicken cacciatorre-yum) and Suparossa's. Multiple locations for each. Giordano's and Edwardo's have both gotten too big for their own good. Serious quality issues at both. And unless you're a tourist avoid Uno's, Due's, and Gino's East. Nothing wrong with any of them, but nothing special either.

I have to plead ignorance and indifference when it comes to thin pizza. I know there are devotees who swear by it, and I'm sure there are some great ones out there, but for a lifelong
Chicagoan, thick is where its at.
The Scarlet Pumpernickel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/01/22 06:23:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Hey! What about us down here in Hotlanta? Three that stand out are Everybody's near Emory, Fellini's in Buckhead, and Mellow Mushroom (a few around town). They always win or place high in the best of Atlanta contest.

I usually avoid chains, especially pizza, but the Mellow Mushroom has an excellent pie. The crust and sauce are just right, and they aren't too expensive, as another poster claimed. Unfortunately their subs aren't as good as their pizza. But they do have hot pretzels!

The Scarlet Pumpernickel
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/16 17:21:07 (permalink)
As a Chicagoan (for 3 years at least) who truly dislikes thick/stuffed pizza, it's very difficult in this city to find quality crispy thin crust OR NY style pies that I adore. Most of the so-called thin pizzas have a too thick, cardboard-like crust that just aren't up to par. I've had Pat's,Philly's Best, Chicago Pizza, Ranallis'..on and on and on, but have been frustrated at nearly every turn. HOWEVER, have discovered 2 that are spectacular..unfortunately, I'm out of both places' delivery range:

Cage Luigi (N. Clark St., Lincoln Park)...Ummmmm..the real deal NY/NJ floppy pizza..run by Luigi from Brooklyn. If you're a east coast expat, you've found heaven! I've served this to Chicago friends who have turned up their noses ("ewww...it's too greasy")...poor devils..they just don't get it.

Candlelite (Way N. on Western near the Evanston border). Just discovered this. Old school signage (unfortunately remodelled within)...however, ultra-thin, crispy cracker crust pizzas are to die for. Apparently, former owners closed the place a couple years ago, but devoted patrons got together, bought the space and reopened...and KEPT the classic pizza recipe....bless their hearts!

I anxiously await suggestions from anyone else (please I'm dyin' here)...two good thin crust places just aren't enough...
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/16 19:06:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Scarlet Pumpernickel

quote:

Hey! What about us down here in Hotlanta? Three that stand out are Everybody's near Emory, Fellini's in Buckhead, and Mellow Mushroom (a few around town). They always win or place high in the best of Atlanta contest.

I usually avoid chains, especially pizza, but the Mellow Mushroom has an excellent pie. The crust and sauce are just right, and they aren't too expensive, as another poster claimed. Unfortunately their subs aren't as good as their pizza. But they do have hot pretzels!

The Scarlet Pumpernickel

They ARE good; & finally getting out of Atlanta area. I visited one in Montgomery, AL on a recent visit to my in-laws... Cool website, also...

http://www.mellowmushroom.com/
bubba trout
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/20 01:31:16 (permalink)
Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company on Main St. In Ames Iowa!!! They make their pizzas with more than just white crust, they have wheat, oat and even a potato flour crust. My favorite, canadian bacon and pineapple on the whole wheat crust with honey poured on the outer edge, and there's a lot of cheese on them too!

http://www.greatplainspizza.com/intro.html
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/21 14:47:30 (permalink)
I like pizza hut or papa johns. So many pizza places to choose form in the Detroit,Michigan area.
Xwordster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/22 15:11:36 (permalink)
Native Long Islander here, so I'm biased. The best are Albert's square pie (8 locations on LI) where the sauce is put on top of the cheese (SUPERB - trust me) and Umberto's of Long Island, 2 locations. I now live in Florida (where "pizza" does not exist...) but fortunately Umbert's opened a restaurant about an hour north of me. It's a little drive, but it keeps me from jonesin'

carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/22 16:43:14 (permalink)
One of my fave pizza places was Bruno's, in Oxford OH where I went to college. For years and years you could go there and just buy a slice or as much as you wanted and walk out, like fast food, and it was really good. It burned down in a fire, along with a few other buildings on High St, early 90's? I don't know if it has ever been replaced or simply went away.
I had a roommate worked there mid 70's and we all lived for a week off a 10# canned ham from Bruno's for about a week.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/22 16:58:35 (permalink)
Odd that a pizza place would sell a 10 pound ham :-)
carlton pierre
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/02/22 17:35:16 (permalink)
5 finger discount
carlton pierre
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/06/07 18:08:41 (permalink)
I'm in south Florida this week. The amount of roadfood places here just astonishes me. At any rate I had a darn good pizza from a little place in a town north of Ft Lauderdale called Lauderdale by the Sea. The place is on A1A in a little strip mall, called Da Vinci's Pizzeria. NY style pizza, calzones, strombolis, Sicilian, subs, and stuffed rolls.
Tiramisu
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/06/08 12:43:22 (permalink)
I had an excellent pizza in Seligman, at the Stagecoach 66 Motel cafe . It tasted well balanced. No thick crust to ball up in your throat, no cheese like rubber bands...and the toppings were all fresh, and not noo salty. I had no complaints. The cheese was easy to chew, and swallow. Some of the mozarella on pizza is like rubber tread.
carlton pierre
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/06/08 18:10:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I'm in south Florida this week. The amount of roadfood places here just astonishes me. At any rate I had a darn good pizza from a little place in a town north of Ft Lauderdale called Lauderdale by the Sea. The place is on A1A in a little strip mall, called Da Vinci's Pizzeria. NY style pizza, calzones, strombolis, Sicilian, subs, and stuffed rolls.

went back today and had a couple canolis. They were excellent as well.
Forsyth
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/06/12 22:25:32 (permalink)
Belatedly for the Chicago request from February:

This Long Islander (but Chicago native and lifelong Cubs fan)votes for:

Aurelio's (the Homewood store is their flagship) - order extra well-done
Sanfrantello's (Glenwood) - ditto on ordering
Eduardo's Pesto Stuffed - several locations when your arteries are clear
lilbuddypizza's recommendations are excellent too - I love Pizza King.

It's still Aurelio's that I head for when I land in Chicago. The sauce is sweet-ish, the cheese and toppings layered and their sausage - well, this is turning into a memory-fest.

I've been taken to 150+ pizza places here in NYC metro since I moved here five years ago. Recently it became clear that not eating pizza here was better for my health. Everyone has "the best" joint around they have to take me to.

I'll stick to good seafood, bagels, cheesecake and the like in New York.

Chicago is for pizza.

Off to make reservations, Midway here I come. Heck, even the pizza in the airport is good!

Cheers!
Tengo Hambre
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/06/15 09:33:21 (permalink)
Best Pizza:
Grimaldi's-133 Clinton St. Hoboken N.J.201-792-0800
The Best Go Now
West Village Italian-Cajun Pizza-82 West 12th St.NY,
NY 212-691-6787 Andouille Sausage Slices WOW!!
Lodi Pizza-46 West Lodi NJ.973-478-3306
Many slices to choose from.
plantdetective
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/06/15 12:30:45 (permalink)
One of the best pizzas is in a place you wouldnt expect.

Italian Jim's Pizzeria
342 S Mustang Rd
Yukon, OK 73099-6703 Phone:
(405) 787-0404

Their secret sauce is seriously good. Don't generally care for "secrets", but it is really, really good. Yukon is just a few mins. west of Oklahoma City

mahipp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/22 23:27:31 (permalink)
The best pizza I have ever had is De Losa's in Madeira Beach, FL. It's in the funky, touristy John's Pass Village. Their pizza is the best New York style I've ever had and I'm originally from Brooklyn! They also have killer garlic knots. Little puffs of dough in olive oil and chunks of garlic. Definitely not something to try on a first date! LOL
meiguoren
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/24 15:39:38 (permalink)
If you're in the Lafayette/Northcentral Indiana area, my favorite is Arni's. I also owe my life to Arnis, as that's where my parents met and I've known Arni Cohen most of my life. He was a great man, unfortunately he died a few years ago. His son Brad still runs the place but he's kind of smarmy.

It's thin crust Pizza King type pizza, only better ingredients. Once I took my friend Pascal from France there...he liked it a lot, mostly because it had a greasy spoon type atmosphere and it reminded him of the movie Pulp Fiction.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/24 22:05:53 (permalink)
If you are passing thru Holly Ridge NC,Checkout Yogis For real pizza,it dont get no fresher, Its twenty Minutes North Of Wilmington.
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/26 15:53:06 (permalink)
Tacconelli's, in the Port Richmond section of Philly, is the greatest Pizza I've ever had. This family-style pizzeria is so popular it asks customers to call a day ahead to reserve pizza dough. Once inside, patrons find a jukebox filled with Italian and lounge-hall favorites, plus tables and booths fashioned to fit a few generations. Customers can watch while the pizza makers sling the pies deep into the oven. And when the pies come out...they're my idea of perfection! The thin crust carries a terrific balance of softness and crunch; the sweet and tangy sauce dances down the palate; the cheese bubbles and dares you to bite in early while its hot.

Everything about Tacconelli's makes me miss home.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1976
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/26 16:33:34 (permalink)
I'm glad to see this topic back. My opinions change, especially in my area where all of the independent pizza places are excellent. For now, my favorites are: A&D Pizza and Pizza Chef in Millbury Mass, or just about any place on Shrewsbury Street in Worcester. Even the chains make a decent product around here. (but not as good as the above). Interestingly, at least to me, the pizza rated best in a local "best of" poll, although excellent, is far from my "top". Usually my opinion on food and movies is very mainstream.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/27 15:32:42 (permalink)
1) Jules restaurant-Jersey City NJ--they had 2 locations that unfortunatley no longer exist. The sauce is to die for. great crisp pizza & the dinners were excellent too. I grew up on their stuff and was happy to find they reopened a few times in my neck of the woods (central NJ) , but the last of those (Jules South-Silverton)-just closed & now a Charlie Brown's is there. *sigh*--If anyone has any info if they were to reopen elsewhere, please let me know.

2) Federici's-Freehold NJ--Very very thin crust. Sauce is nice, a little sweet, but you need to eat a lot to fill up.

3) Bella Vita Cafe-Freehold. Nice spongy crust, sweet sauce & a lot of cheese. My current fave!
stridge
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/28 16:57:35 (permalink)
I remember Pizzio's in Lauderdale and Key West they closed up in the 60's
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/28 17:05:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by The Scarlet Pumpernickel

quote:

The Scarlet Pumpernickel

They ARE good; & finally getting out of Atlanta area. I visited one in Montgomery, AL on a recent visit to my in-laws... Cool website, also...

http://www.mellowmushroom.com/

Can you please describe their crust?? I know it's a silly request, but we've had one here in Gainesville for a few years. I've thought about trying them but always go to the "Brick Oven" because I KNOW I like their THIN crust. I'm not much of a "pan" styler, if I get in that mood it's Leonardo's pizza.
The Scarlet Pumpernickel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/07/30 17:45:26 (permalink)
Originally posted by Rusty246
quote:

quote:

Can you please describe their crust?? I know it's a silly request, but we've had one here in Gainesville for a few years. I've thought about trying them but always go to the "Brick Oven" because I KNOW I like their THIN crust. I'm not much of a "pan" styler, if I get in that mood it's Leonardo's pizza.

Their crust is thick enough to not flop over your wrist when you
pick up a slice, but by no means is it a pan pizza. And its made
with spring water the same as their pretzels, so you will eat the
ends instead of feeding them to the dog.
flyingfoodie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/29 16:17:57 (permalink)
Cincy area, in order of preference: PARKERS PIZZERIA (Georgetown, OH)
, Dewey's, Spinners Pizza, Hometown Pizza, Larosa's, Donatos. I'd like to go to smaller, individually run places more, but there just aren't that many around where I live in Burlington, KY. I grew up in Georgetown, and my all-time favorite will always be Parkers.

Chicago: Giordanos or Lou Malnati's

New York: John's (in the Broadway district)

New Haven: Pepe's, as much for the atmosphere as for the pie

Everywhere: California Pizza Kitchen - c'mon, you can't help but like it!

Least favorite pizza chain of all time: Papa John's. Ugh. It's fresh alright. Fresh and soggy.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/29 16:35:29 (permalink)
Where's Hometown Pizza?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1