Your favorite pizza places?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 14
Author
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/29 16:53:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BostonChowHound

Boston - Pizzeria Regina's in the North End is still a damn good pie. Someone else mentioned the hole-in-the-wall place on Blackstone St and that is also very good, especially for a slice or two at lunch.

John's in NYC (Theatre district) was over-rated. We went there after seeing it on the Food Network.

My wife & I hit the Jersey shore a few times each year, and we always have a pie or 2 at Vic's Pizza in Bradley Beach, NJ. Thin-crusted heaven (as is Federici's in Freehold). Make sure you also get the Chopped Antipasto Salad at Vic's.

Regina's pizza is very good I've over heard some tourists complain that its greasy thats the olive oil that adds so much to the flavor.Up on Hanover St. there is the Galleria Rustucia Umberto's can get in and out of there for about $3.00,opens at 11am and closes when they run out somewhere around 2pm they have other items beside pizza.The La Hacienda on Sommerville Ave? Sommerville nice family bar type with good solid f ood. Chow Jim
kvendler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/29 17:23:03 (permalink)
When it comes to pizza in my area, it is hard to come across anything that is extraordinarily good. There are a lot of palatable options, like LaRosa's and Snappy Tomato Pizza, but nothing truly inspiring, save one brand of take-out pizza that ironically is sold in a local gas station: Hunt's Brothers' Pizza, distributed out of Tennessee.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/29 17:55:34 (permalink)
kvendler: sorry I didn't welcome you to the board earlier.....always good to see another Cincinnati/N Ky. member on board.....

just exactly where is this local gas station that sells great pizza?
fablerox
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/29 18:04:12 (permalink)
I think Pepe's white clam is the best (as weird as it may seem) but their other pizzas are pretty tasty, too. Several years ago my son had surgery at Yale on Valentine's Day and we celebrated with Pepe's brought into the hospital.

When not in the New Haven area, we like the thin crust pizza at the Colony Bar in Stamford. Don't expect fancy and they only have pizza.

Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/08/30 02:36:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Where's Hometown Pizza?

I think the closest to you might be out on KY. 18 in Florence/Burlington. (Turn right off of the I-75 exit. Keep driving past Mall Road. Hometown is on the right a ways down the road.) They're a small-town central Kentucky thing. Not bad at all. My wife works in Carroll County and we've eaten at the Carrollton and Warsaw locations on numerous occasions.
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/09/07 10:18:59 (permalink)
I completely fell in love with a pizza I had at Fanelli's Cafe in Manhattan. It was divine.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/09/13 12:26:46 (permalink)
Lido's Italian Food http://www.lidositalianfoods.com/

Prana1971
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/09/13 15:05:55 (permalink)
Some of my favorites:

Philly - Best late night slice - Lorenzo's on South Street (across from the TLA)

New Haven, CT - Pepes

Houston - Star Pizza is good (deep dish w/sausage - very Pizzeria Uno like) but the best slice in Houston is without a doubt the NY Pizzeria in the plaza near the Edwards movie theater off Highway 10. There are other NY Pizzeria's in Houston and not sure if they are affiliated but have been to all and none are even close to the one by the theater. Never go to a movie without a slice or two!

Jersey - Big fan of the Riveria II on Tuckerton Rd. Riviera I used to be really good but has gone downhill a little bit in recent years.

Special mention - Watertown, CT - Daveley's Pizza, great atmosphere (very old school Italtian family joint) Have not been in awhile but used to be one of the best.

Best slice I have ever had, go figure, was in Italy, just sauce, big hunks of mozzerella spread out and fresh basil leaves and well... how do beat the atmosphere!
EatEmUp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/09/27 15:51:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Joisey

1) Jules restaurant-Jersey City NJ--they had 2 locations that unfortunatley no longer exist. The sauce is to die for. great crisp pizza & the dinners were excellent too. I grew up on their stuff and was happy to find they reopened a few times in my neck of the woods (central NJ) , but the last of those (Jules South-Silverton)-just closed & now a Charlie Brown's is there. *sigh*--If anyone has any info if they were to reopen elsewhere, please let me know.

2) Federici's-Freehold NJ--Very very thin crust. Sauce is nice, a little sweet, but you need to eat a lot to fill up.

3) Bella Vita Cafe-Freehold. Nice spongy crust, sweet sauce & a lot of cheese. My current fave!
EatEmUp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/09/27 15:52:43 (permalink)
quote:

1) Jules restaurant-Jersey City NJ--they had 2 locations that unfortunatley no longer exist. The sauce is to die for. great crisp pizza & the dinners were excellent too. I grew up on their stuff and was happy to find they reopened a few times in my neck of the woods (central NJ) , but the last of those (Jules South-Silverton)-just closed & now a Charlie Brown's is there. *sigh*--If anyone has any info if they were to reopen elsewhere, please let me know.

2) Federici's-Freehold NJ--Very very thin crust. Sauce is nice, a little sweet, but you need to eat a lot to fill up.

3) Bella Vita Cafe-Freehold. Nice spongy crust, sweet sauce & a lot of cheese. My current fave!
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/09/30 09:27:03 (permalink)
My favorite pizza place is the Good Times Cafe, Hinesburg, Vermont. Thin, but not too thin; crispy crust, but not too crispy; just the right amount of cheese, purchased from the local cheese factory in that town, and a sauce with just the right spices.
melissar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/01 17:09:25 (permalink)

I'm happy to say that Jules is owned by my family and is opening a new restaurant in the next month or so. I was just there today, actually, and it's coming along very nicely. The new location is behind the Carousel Ice Cream place, if you are going North on Brick Boulevard, it's one block before the Charlie Brown's....just a stone's throw from the old location.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/01 18:01:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
Dearfolk,
At the moment, probably Little Italy on North Lumpkin Street in Athens.
Getting Hungrily, Ort. Carlton, Just Down The Street.

Re-Dearfolk,
After considerable consideration, I stand by my choice above - Little Italy Pizza & Subs on North Lumpkin Street in downtown Athens. The owner's father (or is it uncle?) has another place- Peppino's Pizza - out south of town on Whitehall Road. I've never been to that location, but used to frequent the old Peppino's on East Broad Street downtown.
Unfortunately, my favorite Atlanta pizzaria is gone - Rocky's Brick Oven Pizza on Peachtree Road, N/W at 26th. Street. With the demise of that place, I rarely eat pizza in Atlanta, preferring instead to patronize either mom-and-pop cafes or BBQ places.
Strombo-ly, Ort. Carlton in Sunny Athens, Georgia.
P. S. There's a pizza place I've been told offhandedly about (not by Captain Hook!) in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania that is run by a Slavic family and makes a variety of pizza unlike anything else in the area. No, I'm not confusing this with the "pitza" places in Hazleton - this is a unique eatery, and I cannot wait to venture up whenever I can and give it a looksee. Kielbasa on a pizza crust with goat cheese? Sure; why not! Sauerkraut on the side? Sounds good to me. Not to mention a Yuengling draft or three with it... yumsville!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/02 12:41:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by melissar

I'm happy to say that Jules is owned by my family and is opening a new restaurant in the next month or so. I was just there today, actually, and it's coming along very nicely. The new location is behind the Carousel Ice Cream place, if you are going North on Brick Boulevard, it's one block before the Charlie Brown's....just a stone's throw from the old location.

Hey Melissa--thanks for the great news! My family grew up eating Jules' food and were saddend by the closing. Looking forward to the grand opening & please say hi to the family for us!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/09 21:06:00 (permalink)
Best Pizza...Good Times Cafe. Hinesburg, Vermont. Very astute and knowledgeable pie makers. Had their whole wheat pie last time I was up that way. There is a big cheese factory in Hinesburg...I forget their name. Well, the Good Times uses their cheese. Try it. Even if you disagree with me, Vermont's beautiful this time of year. Foliage and all that, y'know.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/11 12:19:28 (permalink)
Hi! Nice to meet you & good luck! I am sure I will see you soon!
johns72604
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/11 12:54:54 (permalink)
I am a big fan of Joes of the Village Pizza in good ol' NYC. A couple old employees from the origional location have opened up other Joes of the Village Pizzarias (two) in Brooklyn, and one of them is across the street from where I live and it is really good as well. It is hard to not eat it all the time having such good pie right across the street, so why try. Also, there is a place in Morris Park, Bronx that has unreal brick oven pizza that never gets any recognition on these boards that is just as goos as John's, Grimaldi's, and Lomabardi's. It's worth checking out.
Bella Vita Cafe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/11 23:17:22 (permalink)
quote:

If you come in ask for John, I'm the bald guy behind the counter. lol anything you want, Ill take care of ya
Sanibelle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/11 23:30:29 (permalink)
There is still nothing like Pepe's or Sally's in New Haven, CT. We stopped going to Sally's because of the "attitude" there and the apparent lack of cleanliness. Pepe's is the Number 1 pizza in the U.S.
Sanibelle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/11 23:33:05 (permalink)
What is the name of the one on Morris Park?
quote:
Originally posted by johns72604

I am a big fan of Joes of the Village Pizza in good ol' NYC. A couple old employees from the origional location have opened up other Joes of the Village Pizzarias (two) in Brooklyn, and one of them is across the street from where I live and it is really good as well. It is hard to not eat it all the time having such good pie right across the street, so why try. Also, there is a place in Morris Park, Bronx that has unreal brick oven pizza that never gets any recognition on these boards that is just as goos as John's, Grimaldi's, and Lomabardi's. It's worth checking out.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/12 08:33:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Vita Cafe

quote:

If you come in ask for John, I'm the bald guy behind the counter. lol anything you want, Ill take care of ya

If you've been there the past few weeks, I prob already know ya! LOL! I think last I had at your place was chicken parm a week or 2 ago. Im John also! Time to grab a pie or 2!
Bella Vita Cafe
Junior Burger
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/12 08:43:18 (permalink)
See you there
johns72604
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/12 09:43:19 (permalink)
The place in Morris Park is called Patricia's
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/13 08:31:37 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

John--nice meeting you last nite. great pie as always! Good Luck & I'll def be seeing you guys again soon.!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/13 09:07:22 (permalink)
I live in a very small town north of Charlotte, if we want good pizza I havee to make it.
Bella Vita Cafe
Junior Burger
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/13 22:23:22 (permalink)
John--nice meeting you last nite. great pie as always! Good Luck & I'll def be seeing you guys again soon.!

Thanks John... a pleasure meeting you too. Bring the wife over and have a sit in dinner.

also, deliveries have been really crazy since last Friday night. maybe 40 deliveries or more a day. hehehehe, I may have ot hire more drivers. I hope tomorrow will be even more busy.

anyway, take care. see you soon.

John
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/14 11:52:27 (permalink)
Hello All,
We have a local pizza place called Luigi's, which makes a wonderful beer-battered dough pizza. The toppings are multiple and good, but the crust is heavenly. The smell and taste of the bread enhances the toppings, almost makes them secondary. I always have a thin crusted pizza, but it not like a cracker crust which some places make thin as. It still has a lite, chewey quality, not a hard, crunchy texture. And even with the toppings, the smell of the baked dough is strong and makes it taste richer.
My daughter, however, prefers, Pizza Hut. As a special treat, sometimes she and I go to Pizza Hut to just have a special time between us, and my wife is glad to get us out of the house so she can have some time alone.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
kidtcha
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/29 09:14:29 (permalink)
A friend of mine read that the best pizza in Virginia AND the world was located 2.5 hours from us in Crozet, Virginia. So we drove down to Crozet and tried the Crozet Pizza! It was very good! Part of the charm was the actual restaurant. We were curious as to why we needed to make a reservation and found out the reason as soon as we walked through the door. There were only 6.5 tables in the place with one Tiffany lamp in the middle of the place giving us light. The restaurant only serves salads and pizza along with sodas and beer. My friend and I are not big on veggies so we ordered the Meatlover's style pizza. It was delicious! It had ham, meatballs, pepperoni and sausage on it!
If you are in VA and would like to check out this pizza joint, look up Crozet Pizza. I'm not sure if anyone on here has mentioned it yet!
kidtcha
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/29 09:19:49 (permalink)
How long have you been open and are you IN the town of Freehold? I have friends who just MOVED from Freehold to MD but they plan on going back to visit some friends. They ARE Pizza lovers and would probably love to try your place next time they go back.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EatEmUp

quote:

I just wanted to say that I am the NEW owner of Bella Vita Cafe in Freehold, NJ

Please see my ad

Bella Vita Cafe
Junior Burger
RE: Your favorite pizza places? 2005/10/30 07:37:15 (permalink)
Yeas we are located in Freehold. Its right on Route 9 on the north side. We are in the Shoprite Shopping Center right next door to Blockbuster.

Look forward to seeing you guys....
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1