Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town??

Author
georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2006/10/13 18:10:28 (permalink)

Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town??

Where's your favorite place for Italian Beef and/or Italian Sausage in Chi-Town???

27 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2006/10/13 18:25:24 (permalink)
    GAdawg, check out this thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11331

A bunch of us got together this past March and toured some of Our Town's best Italian Beef joints. You will find addresses, and multiple commentaries on a number of different places.

Buddy
    georgiadawgs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2006/10/13 21:28:57 (permalink)
    Buddy, great thanks, I searched the forums, but somehow missed that thread...???

Is there any difference between the Al's on Ontario and the original on Taylor? Also does Mr. Beef close around 4 or 5? I went by there about 5:30 and the sign said closed, the people who worked there were still inside, but the sign said closed...Don't know if they were just cleaning up or something, but it appeared they were closed pretty early (that's how I ended up at Al's for a second time ;-)
    georgiadawgs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2006/10/13 21:36:15 (permalink)
    Had Italian Beef 2 places, Al's on Mich Ave. and Carmie's on S. Cicero Ave.

Al's Giardania(?) was definately hands down better, but the overall winner was Carmie's. There's was delicious, TONS and I mean TONS of beef, VERY juicy, gret roll, Al's was fantastic, but Carmie's just edges them out, because they put so much beef on there's.
    JVN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2006/11/22 09:15:52 (permalink)
    Not sure if it's still there, I can only imagine it is...
    Frankie's on Oakton in Des Plaines. East 1600 block. I must have had hundreds of their Italian Beefs growing up until my parents moved downstate when I was 9. Their combo is excellent as well.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2006/11/22 10:53:48 (permalink)
    How odd that you should mention this place; it is about 30 seconds from my home-even closer than Paradise Pup! Unfortunately, Frankie's is closed. Kind of an interesting story behind the whole thing.

They sold the joint to a Japanese family late in the summer of 2005. They kept the name and maintained the Italian Beef/Hot Dog/Hamburger/general fast food menu for a few months as they phased in more Japanese foods. It was a strange menu for a while. They finally eliminated all the fast food, made the change over to Asian casual cuisine complete and changed the name to "Teri-Soba" by spring of 2006.

It was pretty good food too; a welcome change in an area that already has three very good and well established Hot Dog/Hamburger stands (Paradise Pup, Charcoal Delights, and Mr. Pup), nearly a dozen or so very good Mexican places ranging from humble taqueria to white cloth sit down, and almost every corporate fast food outlet you can name, all in a relatively small area.

They served very good food and the family worked plenty hard to appeal to the neighborhood. They just couldn't make it.

Currently the building is up for sale with an Asian realtor with no immediate prospects for a new tenant. We'll have to wait an see who wants to take the next shot at the corner of Oakton and White Streets.

Buddy
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2006/11/22 12:48:14 (permalink)
    I think Mr. Beef does close on the early side. Sorry you got there too late. It's really just a lunch place.

Al's on Taylor I've never had. But I've never been impressed with the downtown (actually River North) Al's. It's OK, but it's nothing special.
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/01/08 12:00:50 (permalink)
    My grandmother's house was steps away from Al's on Taylor street, been eating Italian Roast Beefs there since the 60's, by far the best around.

LJM
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/01/08 13:08:30 (permalink)
    I used to live in the SW suburbs of Chicago many years ago. There was a drive-in called Duke's at about 8000 S. Harlem that had excellent Italian beef sandwiches. I believe that they had several drive-in restaurants in the Chicago suburbs. I'm not sure if Duke's still around today. I wish there were a restauant in Virginia where I could get a good Italian beef.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/01/08 16:31:19 (permalink)
    Is there any good CHI-town places for Italian Beef that are sit-down type restaurants that don't close early?
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/01/08 16:37:46 (permalink)
    Johnnie's in Elmwood Park is open until 11:00 or midnight, although it is just outside of the city. I think it's better than Al's (people are pretty polarized on Al's) but I believe the AL's on Ontario is open late.

If you do go to Johnny's, get the beef/sausage combo and a lemon ice.

PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/01/08 19:27:14 (permalink)
    Duke's is still around... My sister lives in Bridgeview, il. They are still around and doing strong.

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/01/09 10:28:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

Is there any good CHI-town places for Italian Beef that are sit-down type restaurants that don't close early?

Portillo's is a local chain that operates as a full restaurant. I like their beefs and have been eating them since the early 1970's when a friend who was a Villa Park cop introduced them to me. It's a good place to go try a beef because they have so many other things on the menu for the non beef eaters as well. My SO is vegetarian and likes their grilled tuna sandwich and the grilled vegetable sandwich.

http://www.portillos.com/
    jceriale
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 16:11:19 (permalink)
    There was a food "expert" on T.V. today during the pre super bowl show, showing the foods of Indianapolis and Chicago. He proceeded to make sandwich's for the announcers.
    He made a perfect Chicago style hot dog and then he made an Italian beef sandwich............WITH MUSTARD!!!!!!!!!!!
    The guy needs to be banned from Chicago.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2993
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 16:13:05 (permalink)
    Probably a Colts fan!
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 16:27:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

Portillo's is a local chain that operates as a full restaurant. I like their beefs and have been eating them since the early 1970's when a friend who was a Villa Park cop introduced them to me. It's a good place to go try a beef because they have so many other things on the menu for the non beef eaters as well. My SO is vegetarian and likes their grilled tuna sandwich and the grilled vegetable sandwich.

http://www.portillos.com/

I second this recommendation. I have been to a couple of other places but i think Portillo's is every bit as good as the "hole in the wall" places. I also tried the combo one time which was a beef with a hot Italian sausage in the bun. It was very good but a little spicy for some. The dogs there are alos pretty good.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2993
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 16:37:07 (permalink)
    There's a family run place in the western Chicago suburb of Westmont near the Ogden Ave. Cass Ave. intersection. It's in the strip mall just north of the Jewel Food Store. Named Johnny's with no relation to the North Avenue legend, it's a simple, straight forward menu. Hot Dogs, great fries, polish, and beefs. They cook all the beef on site and if you look in back (it's a pretty small place - 6 small tables, no counter) you can see the roasts cooking. Usually 4-5 at all times. I lile mine with cheese and sweet or hot depending on my mood. There regular is quite wet so I have never needed to order a wet one. They have opened a second location near 75th Steet and Lemont Road. Both are family run.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10412
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 17:26:03 (permalink)
    I have only had Italian Beefs at three places.....Max's, Al's and Mr. Beef. Als's was my favorite and I particular enjoy their combo.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 18:28:42 (permalink)
    M R B E E F

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/04 22:17:19 (permalink)
    TJ, where did those onions come from? Were you carrying them in your back pocket? No self respecting Italian Beef joint that I've ever been to offers onions on their product.

Buddy
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/05 06:25:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

TJ, where did those onions come from? Were you carrying them in your back pocket? No self respecting Italian Beef joint that I've ever been to offers onions on their product.

Buddy

I agree, no onions! Hots or gardinera but no onions!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/05 08:08:39 (permalink)
    I specifically asked for the onions, after having explained I had driven from Cincinnati to try this sandwich.

Onions definitely enhance the flavor of beef
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/05 13:54:59 (permalink)
    TJ, they must have been in a good mood that day. Next time you're in town head on over to Al's on Taylor Street and ask for some ketchup with your Italian Beef; let me know how that works out. If you can make that happen, the Italian Lemonade at Mario's, across the street, is on me.

Buddy
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/05 14:14:12 (permalink)
    Not sure I will like Al's - they shred their beef :-) I did spot it on that trip, dwarfed by the Geno's East across the street

I definitely don't want ketchup......I'll see if I can get onions again...and I will get a combo the next time
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/05 14:28:34 (permalink)
    TJ, the Al's location you are referring to is on Ontario Street, a good ways north of the original Taylor Street, flagship store. Nothing wrong with the place but, if you are going to try Al's you should definitely go to the original spot first.

Besides, as mentioned above, you've got Mario's Italian Lemonade right across the street (only open from early May until mid-October) on Taylor Street. You go in to Al's and get the sandwiches and fries while your buddy goes across the street for the Italian Lemonade or Ice. You meet in Al's parking lot and have a brilliant feast on the trunk of your car while the pigeons poke their beaks into your business until you give them something to eat and then they won't leave you alone until you finally give up and toss half a bag of fries across the lot so they won't bother you until they finish it and want some more.

What could be better?

Buddy
    Suspended
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2007/02/10 20:14:36 (permalink)
    For consistency and convenience, I like Portillo's.
    For the superlative sandwich, I like Johnnie's, but since I moved away from Elmhurst four years ago, I only go about once/year.
    For a change of pace, I like Al's, but it's a different texture/taste to me and I have to be in the mood for it.

I grew up on Buona - we used to drive from Wilmette to Berwyn back when it was just two stores. But my last visit was extremely poor, and I won't be going back.

I live a half mile from the Johnny's that ChiTownDiner references, and I've never been to it. I should give it a try.
    Pennagirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2008/02/09 12:45:43 (permalink)
    Best is Jays (Shiller Park and 2 other locations).
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Your favorite place for Italian Beef in Chi-Town?? 2008/02/12 13:58:49 (permalink)

I third Portillo's! This is a Big Beef double dipped of course!

But I like Mr. Beef, and Al's also. Portillo's is available all over the Chicago area so convenience almost always wins out for me when I'm in Chi Town.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1