Your favorite school lunch....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ardee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/09/25 23:35:50 (permalink)
I attended grades 1 thru 8 in the 1940s and 1950s at a four-classroom school with a separate lunch house out back where the meals were prepared and served.  I believe that all of the meals prepared there were based on USDA issued commodities; I am certain that the peanut butter, honey, butter, and cheese were government issue.  At the end of each school year the oldest student in each family represented at that school was given a share of the left-over butter and cheese to take home.

There was a meal that consisted of a bowl of bean soup, a hunk of cornbread, and a slice of raw onion.  There was also a hamburger based chili with a lot of beans, a lot of water, and very little tomato, not at all spicy - I don't remember what, if anything more than crackers, was served with it.

Another individual item that I remember was a sandwich, peanut butter mixed with honey on white bread.  This was my favorite food in elementary school.

Except for the Johnny Marzetti, I really can't remember anything that was served in the high school cafeteria; however, I am confident that the meals served there were also based on USDA issued commodities.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/09/27 03:51:07 (permalink)
Creamed Turkey and mashed potatos served over biscuits with a side of green beans and usually a brownie. Always ate seconds that day.
Jenniferyoung2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/11/20 14:54:04 (permalink)
In elementary, my school had chicken nuggets like McDonald's.  It was always served with very yummy fake mashed potatoes and gravy and a roll.  Usually another side and milk.  Our spaghetti and meat sauce was good, served with side salad and breadstick.  We also had thick chili with breadsticks and a cheesestick. 
In middle school, chef salads were always good.  
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7022
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/11/20 16:39:18 (permalink)
In the 7th grade I went to a school that was near St. Cecilia Catholic school.  You could bring your lunch or walk to St. Cecilia.  We all went to St.  Cecilia because there would be homemade ravioli, lasagne, meatballs, etc.  The food those Italian ladies made was wonderful and they were always smiling, watching us kids eat.
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1021
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/11/20 19:58:17 (permalink)
lleechef

In the 7th grade I went to a school that was near St. Cecilia Catholic school.  You could bring your lunch or walk to St. Cecilia.  We all went to St.  Cecilia because there would be homemade ravioli, lasagne, meatballs, etc.  The food those Italian ladies made was wonderful and they were always smiling, watching us kids eat.

Sounds as though you have fond memories of those lunches.  

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/11/21 00:41:11 (permalink)
Made from scratch ham salad sandwiches on fresh white bread
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/11/22 17:05:02 (permalink)
"Back in the day" (1965) before public schools had salad bars, taco bars, al la carte to order, etc. we had "one tray serves all" cuisine.  Every Tuesday was "pizza day" where one could buy as much as desited for 15 cents/slice.

The pizza was one of the first frozen pizzas - Augustine's of New Castle, PA.  They are still in business today and still selling tons of frozen pizzas.  They are even "The Official Pizza" of PNC Park, home of the once mighty Buccos.  It is even served at Heinz Field, home of the still formidable Steelers.

Their success has always amazed me as their "pizza" is basically tomato sauce and oregano on Wonder Bread, topped with a little dried, grated parmesian.  From the pics on their site it hasn't changed a bit:  http://www.augustinespizza.com/

Nevertheless, everything being relative, it was a Tuesday treat.
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
Re:Your favorite school lunch.... 2011/11/23 08:22:59 (permalink)
Speaking of school lunches, did anyone see chopped last night? It had 4 school lunch ladies competing. It was great to see their dedication, Passion, and love for what they do. Highly emotional episode with them all making some great food. Kudos to chopped for showcasing these women.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1