Your review is not helpful

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 13:23:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Back to the reviews...I go back to wanting to know the location in the subject line. A hot dog place in SC is of great interest to me but a staek place in Texas is not.

I believe the original poster was discussing the formal reviews in the "restaurant" section, not the more informally posted reviews/comments. The formal reviews will never see the light of day without detailed info about their location.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 14:34:13 (permalink)
Yeouch. No wonder we sometimes have problems between posters. I confess to thinking the original post was about the "informal" reviews and I see now that it was about the formal front page ones. Sorry. Now where is a formal newt review for the great cheese state of Wisconsin?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 20:25:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz
quote:
are there that many people out to get you?

Dearfolk,
After my grandmother died in 1979, I had to spend a lot of time in Central Florida. I somehow ran afowl of a particularly... shall we say vituperative... cell of the Aryan Knights Of The Ku Klux Klan. Real nice guys. Wanted to smear virtually everyone off the earth. Guys with beards and long hair (by their standards) and even Presbyterians might incur their further ire, which I can assure you was plentiful... and unforgetting and unforgiving.
Rather than to take shooting lessons, I was taught how to make a "moonshiner turn" on both a paved and a sand road. It sure was fun to let them follow me a ways, then crest a hill, do the turnabout, and meet them coming back. They were dumb enough that they never caught on, believe it or not.
After the county voted "wet" in 2000, the last of them moved out: they wouldn't live in a county where liquor was sold. Now they live someplace in the Florida panhandle, but since there are now only 5 dry counties left in Florida (out of 67), their options are getting more and more scarce. Pretty soon they'll have to move to someplace that's dry by land grant or charter.
I hope the Roadfood is lousy there.
Petulantly, Ort. Carlton in Far More Tolerant Athens, Georgia.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8656
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 21:41:08 (permalink)
I love the reviews because I get to see how different restaurants make certain dishes,or dream about going to a real New York deli someday.Helpful??I wouldnt say they were helpful to me,but I enjoy them.Keep em coming!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 07:45:57 (permalink)

I think all reviews are helpful, even if it is in a negative way. I am talking about the formal reviews.

Example.. Todays review of the Big Daddy Sandwich Shop in Rome New York. The review showed me that I would not consider stopping at Big Daddy's for what appears to me to be a routine Subway type of sandwich. The photo on the site homepage shows a Turkey Sub made with a minimum amount of turkey and a ton of shaved lettuce. No Thank you !
But the review was helpful. It will keep me from learning the hard way that I don't want to pay for that sub.
salsailsa
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 405
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 08:17:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I think all reviews are helpful, even if it is in a negative way. I am talking about the formal reviews.

Example.. Todays review of the Big Daddy Sandwich Shop in Rome New York. The review showed me that I would not consider stopping at Big Daddy's for what appears to me to be a routine Subway type of sandwich. The photo on the site homepage shows a Turkey Sub made with a minimum amount of turkey and a ton of shaved lettuce. No Thank you !
But the review was helpful. It will keep me from learning the hard way that I don't want to pay for that sub.

Funny, I just signed in and was thinking that that sub looked like something I could get at my local sub shop- which is neither bad nor outstanding, just "ordinary."
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8656
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 08:26:31 (permalink)
Yeah,Al,you have a point.I wouldnt visit the sub shop shown on todays review.So,I humbly concede that the reviews are INDEED helpful.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 08:58:23 (permalink)
quote:

I think sometimes people may put down "not helpful" when they don't agree with a review. I may not like reading a view that is different than mine, but it still lets me know that not everyone thinks like me...which many will tell you...is a good thing.

As for Big Daddy's, anyplace that uses Boars Head cold cuts deserves a better fate than being considered "Subway" like!
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 13:09:59 (permalink)
quote:

A citation for having a LOADED shotgun? (bTW the most absurd item on the planet is an UNLOADED weapon). Not in North Carolina. I have a concealed carry permit (only for handguns) but a shotgun w/ legal length barrels is protected by the Second Amendment of the Constitution...minor document I know but still keeps us safe.

I remember living in Iowa and Missouri having a gun rack in the pickup, usually holding Dad's 12 gauge. Haven't been back to either place for quite some time, so i don't know if it is still allowed, or if they have to be out of sight.

I can't say as I have never seen racks in AZ, maybe having them out of sight is the rule here too.

But getting a concealed carry permit here is quite normal. The shooting club I belong to gives classes every weekend, one can apply for the permit after 8 hours of instruction.

As far as good/bad reviews go, this site would be pretty boring if no one disagreed about this and that. All I say is, keep it clean and if you do not like something, give an honest opinion why and then offer an alternative.

BTW, that sandwich pictured today did nothing for me either, although I have not yet read the entire review, maybe I am missing something.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 13:17:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:

A citation for having a LOADED shotgun? (bTW the most absurd item on the planet is an UNLOADED weapon). Not in North Carolina. I have a concealed carry permit (only for handguns) but a shotgun w/ legal length barrels is protected by the Second Amendment of the Constitution...minor document I know but still keeps us safe.

I remember living in Iowa and Missouri having a gun rack in the pickup, usually holding Dad's 12 gauge. Haven't been back to either place for quite some time, so i don't know if it is still allowed, or if they have to be out of sight.

I can't say as I have never seen racks in AZ, maybe having them out of sight is the rule here too.

But getting a concealed carry permit here is quite normal. The shooting club I belong to gives classes every weekend, one can apply for the permit after 8 hours of instruction.

As far as good/bad reviews go, this site would be pretty boring if no one disagreed about this and that. All I say is, keep it clean and if you do not like something, give an honest opinion why and then offer an alternative.

BTW, that sandwich pictured today did nothing for me either, although I have not yet read the entire review, maybe I am missing something.

My son-in-law has a gun rack in his vehicle, and so does my daughter. They live in Phoenix. And, while concealed carry permits are available in Arizona, open-carry is also legal without any permit.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 13:30:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

As for Big Daddy's, anyplace that uses Boars Head cold cuts deserves a better fate than being considered "Subway" like!

Tony, I would consider the use of Boar's Head cold cuts not necessarily irrelevant, but not helpful. they're a great cold cut, but not uncommon. I would need to know a lot more about the place. And drive 80 miles to go to a sandwich shop? Please. I couldn't find a place just as good, if not better, in an 80 mile radius? Or if I was driving past, would I take a four hour detour to go to Big Daddy Sandwiches?

That is actually an example of a review that I would consider "not helpful". There is nothing there that would make me consider that shop any different from 25,000 other sandwich shops in central NY. "I used to eat here a lot. here are some pictures." Honestly, if you are going to write a review of a place and claim it is worth a visit, make sure you tell people what makes it different and better. That review is like saying, "I used to go to this bar and listen to a band. they were really good, we liked them a lot. they played cover versions of a lot of our favorite songs. here's a picture of the bar." I mean, sure, someone took the time to write it, but it isn't very helpful.

Tom
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 14:48:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

Tony, I would consider the use of Boar's Head cold cuts not necessarily irrelevant, but not helpful. they're a great cold cut, but not uncommon.

I get what you are saying, and my comment was meant as a joke, but when compared with the stuff at Subway, which is 2 slices that was sliced during the Eisenhower administration in a factory somewhere miles from where it is being served and stuck between wax paper to ripen, the fact they use a good brand of cold cut, that is sliced in store isn't what I'd consider irrelevant or not helpful. How is that for a run on sentence!

quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

That is actually an example of a review that I would consider "not helpful". There is nothing there that would make me consider that shop any different from 25,000 other sandwich shops in central NY. "I used to eat here a lot. here are some pictures." Honestly, if you are going to write a review of a place and claim it is worth a visit, make sure you tell people what makes it different and better. That review is like saying, "I used to go to this bar and listen to a band. they were really good, we liked them a lot. they played cover versions of a lot of our favorite songs. here's a picture of the bar." I mean, sure, someone took the time to write it, but it isn't very helpful.

Well...it seems you learned that you wouldn't go to this place. To be honest, I probably wouldn't drive 80 miles either. I see that as helpful the same way I find movie reviews that describe a movie I wouldn't want to see helpful. Any time I learn something from a review I didn't know before, I consider that helpful.

I understand your (and other people's) yardstick may differ...and I guess that is why some people feel justified in saying a review isn't helpful.
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 15:23:17 (permalink)
quote:

Exactly. Even if the food pictured in a review does not appeal to your tastes, this is helpful information.

In the case of Big Daddy Sandwiches, the picture of the menu shows that you can request extra meat for $1. And if you think there is too much lettuce shown in the picture, then when you order you can ask them to not add so much lettuce.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 17:08:22 (permalink)
SAPS and TJ,
Your posts were deleted. Take your personal arguments to email. Consider this a warning.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/06 17:09:00 (permalink)
I understand, and I wasn't trying to take a dig at anyone; rather I was saying, to the writer, "Use your review to tell me what makes the place special!" That review might be useful to keep me from going to the place.... but how do I really know? Maybe the dressing for the sandwiches is homemade with fresh garlic and garden oregano! Maybe there's a capicola and ham sandwich with provolone, spinach, onion, roasted red pepper, and hot bacon dressing on a huge kaiser roll! Maybe the uninformative review makes me MISS a place!

THAT'S what I'm meaning. I know that billyboy wrote the review, and he posted in this thread; billyboy, the place was important enough to you that you took the time to write about it. Now, use the review to make me want to try it, too! Show me WHY it's special!

It's just a different understanding of what's being defined as "unhelpful". Sure, there's information, but nothing useful. If the place is average, say so; that way no one just assumes averageness from the lack of useful information (like we all did).

Tom
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/08 20:20:55 (permalink)
quote:

SAPS and TJ,
Your posts were deleted. Take your personal arguments to email. Consider this a warning.

I hate it when I miss the good stuff.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/09 02:38:09 (permalink)
Every site I see has that...was this review helpful?

I never saw much of a point to it.

What would make a review not helpful for me is if there is not the info I need to make a decision...hours of operation, dress code, vegetarian, kosher, whatever options, etc....is it way too out-of-the-way? Is there parking? Do they refuse service to women named Elise?

Now, Ort, when are you going to write your memoirs?

uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/26 22:45:15 (permalink)
I think that if a reviewer has the right to be a critic, then the readers of those reviews certainly have the right to "review the reviewer." I agree that sometimes a review can be helpful positive of negative if you know the reviewer and you know you have different sensibilities than he or she. Reviews that are "not helpful" to me are the ones that are overtly self-consciously clever about dishing out negatives, or the ones where the reviewer obviously has an allegiance to a nearby restaurant over the one being reviewed. That being said, I think I enjoy this site more than any food-related site I've found on the web.

jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/27 00:22:44 (permalink)
FWIW, what I really find unhelpful is when a picture is posted with a caption underneath that doesn't tell you what it's a picture of. There was one here recently. The picture looked like orange french fries. Were they sweet potato fries? Spicy fries? Don't know, because all the caption said was something like, "These are among the best you'll find anywhere."
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/30 08:11:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr. sausage

What kind of give or take is there if every post on a given topic is positive? Are we so thin skinned that we can't bear another point of view? I read the forums to learn about new places or just enjoy somebody's description of last night's pork roast but I don't usually feel compelled to add a "mmm!" like some. If I come across something that I consider gross and I comment on it, it's because I'm TRULY moved by how distasteful I find it! I'll wander on to a discussion that I know I'll find repellent because it also fascinates me that people eat certain stuff. Maybe I'm strange that way but me dissing it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it.
It's a forum. Differing views, you know?
As far as rating reviews helpful/not helpful...I don't know. People do go to the trouble of writing and putting it up here for our benefit. It's a cool service. If you didn't get the info you wanted or whatever, send 'em an e-mail and ask them to elaborate. They'll probably be delighted to give you a more in depth account.
Hmm...
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/30 08:46:25 (permalink)
quote:

I am a bit more mean. I had a trucker bump the back of my vintage (OK it's a 1983 but that is vintage for a BMW) BMW to force me to block an intersection (large sign not twenty feet away asking not to block the intersection). He not only gave me the one finger salute which I returned w/ a wide smile and a cheery wave but proceeded to break my driver's side window (that had to have hurt his hand). I am a great believer in the Second Amendment and exited my car w/ a coach shotgun. A shotgun almost always trumps an ugly stupid toothless wonder. I had already called the Police and when they arrived he was put into custody (don't think his delivery was made on time). The 633 CSi got a new paint job out of it and he got a few convictions.

Never think the old man who limps can't ruin your whole day w/ a 12 gauge. Had funny comment from the arresting officer..."Sir you have this shotgun loaded w/ shredder rounds""

"Yes Sir is that a problem"

"Oh No...Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."

Hee hee hee! Road rage has been ruinous to a lot of egos. I once had two macho young guys cut me off in traffic and attempt to block my truck after having flipped me off. When I left my truck first and came at the two of them with a waffle-headed, straight claw framing hammer they reconsidered the odds, locked their doors, and exited the scene posthaste.
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/30 09:12:35 (permalink)
So I’m reading these posts and “coincidentally” the advertisement on the bottom is for something called the front sight firearms training institute. Looks like Roadfooders like a side of self defense with their greasy burger!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/30 19:52:10 (permalink)
In the month or so this thread has been around, I have noted that many other web sites also have the "Was this helpful to you" box. Most of the sites I found them on were on computer vendor online help sections. Now, I can see the purpose for them there. If most people found the tutorial for removing the cover of the computer not helpful, maybe the computer support staff would rewrite the tutorial, add photographs, etc.

But, does anyone do anything with the data is collected on this site? Or was it just a stock feature of the software the web site was created with? There are so many scientifically dubious surveys being conducted that they become mentally blocked-out by people. To my mind, they now only allow crackpots to get their jollies by posting ridiculous answers to the questions. Maybe we should rethink our need for that famous word from the 60's, "feedback".
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/31 07:18:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

So I’m reading these posts and “coincidentally” the advertisement on the bottom is for something called the front sight firearms training institute. Looks like Roadfooders like a side of self defense with their greasy burger!

Do you want fries with that burger and self defense training?

John
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/31 07:30:50 (permalink)
There is another website that I frequent (strictly travel related) in which many of the forums participants use the "Helpful Rating" in an attempt to belittle or discredit other posters. Of course that website, and I understand that it is one of the most widely read on the net, has a LOT of jerks on it.

As an example, a number of the participants decide to group together because they like, let's say Cancun Resorts. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tries to relate a less-than-excellent experience at a Cancun Resort will be BOMBARDED with "Not Helpful" ratings.

Childish, but that's the way it works.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/04/02 10:05:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:
...For the record, when driving and someone flips me off, I'll typically acknowledge said flip with a smile and wave...utilizing all five fingers! It's not ruining my day!

I smiled and blew a kiss at single digit waving trucker one day. He turned all shades of red, pulled over and waved me/dared me to stop. I was laughing so hard I almost soiled myself! People can be funny at times.

When somebody flashes me the "I think you're number one" sign, I (carefully, while driving with my knee) flash them back with both hands ... one hand displaying all five fingers (fingers and thumb), and the other hand displaying two.

If they get the opportunity to ask me "what's that supposed to mean, pal?" ... I tell 'em "It's a whole weeks worth of THIS"
(ok, this is a visual joke ... think about it for a moment.)

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/04/02 10:15:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennie

... My guess is that in general, it is very easy to make internet posts that might be read as hurtful or rude simply because the screen in front of you isn't a human face ...

I think that is exactly the case Jennie.
It really is more imperfect and difficult to communicate by writing than we give it credit for. Simple misunderstanding is why so many flame wars break out. And the relative "snideness" of most peoples comments is probably over-interpreted.
Another issue is that public communication can further miscommunication.
Often, if it I am unable to confidently interpret what someone says, or that a comment I am making might be misinterpreted, I try to communicate by PM or email to hopefully avoid confusion and teeth-grinding.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/04/02 10:25:53 (permalink)
I think too that a "not helpful" vote can very easily be misinterpreted as well. Online there is so much trolling that people get sensative to the possibility that someone's intentions are, shall we say, tiny-minded.
Just as was mentioned, if these were face to face conversations, seldom would things digress into hard feelings.

That's one of the things about this board that I really appreciate ... there is a notable lack of trolling and rancor here. There are so many other sites that are so packed with kiddies with sh*tty attitudes that intelligent conversation is outright impossible.

I'd like to say a big "THANK YOU" to all the members on this forum who make it a nice place to participate in!

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/04/03 00:21:15 (permalink)
We get our share of trolls and trouble makers. The mods try to shut them down ASAP. We lock out an average of 3 new members a week for trolling or spamming the board. We ocassionally suspend a seasoned user for misconduct. Not to mention the occasional e-mails to users asking them to modify their behavior.

MikeS.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5110
RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/04/03 00:42:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I find frozen eye of newt disgusting.

Is newt kosher?
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1