Your review is not helpful

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
2007/02/28 12:03:52 (permalink)

Your review is not helpful

There is one thing that really irks me about this site. A person takes the time and effort to submit a review. They take pictures and write a review. They are not claiming to be professional food writers, but simply people who want to share some of their favorite places to eat good local food.

And over the last few months, someone has repeatedly made an effort to click that they did not find the review helpful. This also happens to reviews by the Sterns as well as those of Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle.

If someone disagrees with the review, they can write their own follow-up review. Or they can rate the restaurant if they have eaten there. But of what value is it to have someone read a review and then immediately say the review is not helpful?

104 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 12:32:10 (permalink)
    I agree. All that a negative response yields is hurt feelings.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 12:36:40 (permalink)
    I'm not sure on what your trying to convey here. In the reviews, we are asked to rate it, and they do post that 7 out of 9 found the review helpfull. Sometimes a review might be of vague help, such as difficulty in locating the establishment or priceing of menus and weather that it was worth the wait. Then again sometimes less is moore. Chow Jim
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 13:12:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I'm not sure on what your trying to convey here. In the reviews, we are asked to rate it, and they do post that 7 out of 9 found the review helpfull. Sometimes a review might be of vague help, such as difficulty in locating the establishment or priceing of menus and weather that it was worth the wait. Then again sometimes less is moore. Chow Jim

I think the point is that if someone posts a review, which is something most members here do not take the time to do, it is better than a review never having been posted. Someone making me aware of a roadfood place they know about, even if the review may not include all the info I'd like, is, in my opinion, always helpful. Stating that someone taking the time to take photos, write up a review, and submit it was "not helpful" seems like a slap in the face.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 13:16:58 (permalink)
    Although political statements often get a rise out of me (which is probably why a person made the remark), my pet peeve is when someone writes about, say, frozen eye of newt and someone posts that they find frozen eye of newt disgusting. I mean why bother making such a post? I find those posts serving no useful purpose. Now if you find you enjoy your newt breaded better than battered that's fine with me, but to just say you don't like it, I'm puzzled why you bother letting others know that.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 13:35:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Although political statements often get a rise out of me (which is probably why a person made the remark), my pet peeve is when someone writes about, say, frozen eye of newt and someone posts that they find frozen eye of newt disgusting. I mean why bother making such a post? I find those posts serving no useful purpose. Now if you find you enjoy your newt breaded better than battered that's fine with me, but to just say you don't like it, I'm puzzled why you bother letting others know that.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...I agree!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 16:28:29 (permalink)
    I find frozen eye of newt disgusting.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 16:47:45 (permalink)
    Fresh is better, I find.

And I will admit to being guilty of "I think such and such is gross" posts. I try to add more to the conversation that than but sometimes fail. Usually I'm trying to fill some dead time at work.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/02/28 16:49:36 (permalink)
    I recommend the fresh stuff, freezing food never does it much justice.

I agree about unnecessary posting of negative comments. I think says something about the pathetic nature of the poster. Why bother to post on things that you have no interest in or don't like? Have you nothing better to do with your time? Just as I don't "click" on posts that don't interest me, I don't bother writing my 2 cents in just for the sake of tossing it in.

I highly doubt people reflect and say "oh, well Salsailsa doesn't like frozen eye of newt. We'd better reconsider our position on that. Maybe we shouldn't like it either.....?"

Keep posting your great reviews and screw the nay-sayers!
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/01 01:02:25 (permalink)
    WTF.......
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2464
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/01 01:53:30 (permalink)
    Personally, I find all of the reviews here to be helpful as they usually introduce me to a new restaurant, region or cuisine that I'm not familiar with. Whether I get to the restaurant or not is irrelevant as I like to learn about new things and the writing and descriptions of others helps me with my own food endeavors and food writing. As far as someone saying it wasn't helpful, I don't see it as negative, but I don't put much stock in it as I have no idea WHY it wasn't helpful. Without more info, I don't know if its because they live far away and will never get there, my writeup was too vague, or they just don't dig that kind of food, etc... I write about what moves me and try to convey the passion I have for a unique or special food/restaurant through the reviews. It just makes me happy.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/01 07:00:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

Frank it's not even 6am and you've got me laughing out loud. It'l be your fault if I wake up Mrs MFL!!! Thanks.......
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/01 07:30:54 (permalink)
    I sure needed a good laugh to start my day...thanks Frank!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15334
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/01 10:10:21 (permalink)

Hmmm, Say, Who was that Masked Man ? "Kemosabe".
    mr. sausage
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 04:18:07 (permalink)
    What kind of give or take is there if every post on a given topic is positive? Are we so thin skinned that we can't bear another point of view? I read the forums to learn about new places or just enjoy somebody's description of last night's pork roast but I don't usually feel compelled to add a "mmm!" like some. If I come across something that I consider gross and I comment on it, it's because I'm TRULY moved by how distasteful I find it! I'll wander on to a discussion that I know I'll find repellent because it also fascinates me that people eat certain stuff. Maybe I'm strange that way but me dissing it shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it.
    It's a forum. Differing views, you know?
    As far as rating reviews helpful/not helpful...I don't know. People do go to the trouble of writing and putting it up here for our benefit. It's a cool service. If you didn't get the info you wanted or whatever, send 'em an e-mail and ask them to elaborate. They'll probably be delighted to give you a more in depth account
    quote:

Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 15:51:56 (permalink)
    This is a comment that I would have posted in a certain other topic if it hadn't been locked. My guess is that in general, it is very easy to make internet posts that might be read as hurtful or rude simply because the screen in front of you isn't a human face. I'm not calling mr. sausage or anyone else here rude, btw. It's just that it's easy to make a "Oh, boy. I can't believe you people eat eye of newt. Bleah! " comment because we can't see the faces of the people with whom we are discussing it. Would you have put that the same way if you were sitting across the table from someone who had just enthusiastically described their mother's recipe for eye-of-newt casserole? Of course not. But on the internet, our inhibitions are down somewhat. It's . . . it's like road rage. People are used to grumbling curses at other drivers, provided the windows are rolled up. Unfortunately, getting used to doing that makes us more prone to other actual actions, such as cutting people off, flipping them the bird (as it were), or other even more dangerous things. (The recent McMissile case in Virginia comes to mind. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/21/AR2007022100871.html?nav=rss_metro)

I've been "online" now for 5 years, and have seen several instances of i-rage, I guess you'd call it. "e-rage" maybe? Every time I've made a post or sent an email when I was angry, I've regretted it. I haven't seen that sort of thing on roadfood, but then I'm not around a whole lot. Suffice it to say, if we're angry we should probably take a few deep breaths and walk away (as I do now) before posting. And if it's a critical remark we're planning to make, take a minute to think about how it's going to sound to those on the receiving end.

As to the restaurant review ratings . . . I haven't read the reviews in question, so I can't say whether they were truly unhelpful, or whatever. If you want to suggest that all reviews, because they took the trouble to write them, should get a positive review, well . . . that seems silly to me. Why have the option to rate the review at all? On the other hand, if anyone out there is slamming reviews, perhaps they might consider the scale they're using to judge them if it seems that people are posting "unhelpful" willy-nilly.

Jennie
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 16:09:14 (permalink)
    Most of the posts on this subject make sense, and I can agree with them. It's indicative of the individualness of the group. If we all were the same, we'd all have the same view. How boring!

If I were sitting with my best friend and he had just described his mother's eye of newt recipe in enthusiastic terms and I truly wanted no part of it or had tasted it and did not find it as enthusiastic, I would not be honest with my own self if I didn't express my opinion. And after telling my friend such, his comment would have most liekly been, "let's have another beer!" That's how friends behave.

I look at roadfooders as my friends and as such, able to deal with honest criticism or personal preferences that differ from theirs.

For the record, when driving and someone flips me off, I'll typically acknowledge said flip with a smile and wave...utilizing all five fingers! It's not ruining my day!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 16:10:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Most of the posts on this subject make sense, and I can agree with them. It's indicative of the individualness of the group. If we all were the same, we'd all have the same view. How boring!

If I were sitting with my best friend and he had just described his mother's eye of newt recipe in enthusiastic terms and I truly wanted no part of it or had tasted it and did not find it as enthusiastic, I would not be honest with my own self if I didn't express my opinion. And after telling my friend such, his comment would have most liekly been, "let's have another beer!" That's how friends behave.

I look at roadfooders as my friends and as such, able to deal with honest criticism or personal preferences that differ from theirs.

For the record, when driving and someone flips me off, I'll typically acknowledge said flip with a smile and wave...utilizing all five fingers! It's not ruining my day!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 22:15:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com
    I find frozen eye of newt disgusting.

Dearfolk,
    I'll take seconds!
    Nearly 'Bout Blind In One Eye And Can't Hardly See Out'a The Other, Ort. Carlton in Monoviewed Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. The Gingrich picture was too funny for words. Great scott, you people are superb!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 22:53:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    ...For the record, when driving and someone flips me off, I'll typically acknowledge said flip with a smile and wave...utilizing all five fingers! It's not ruining my day!

I smiled and blew a kiss at single digit waving trucker one day. He turned all shades of red, pulled over and waved me/dared me to stop. I was laughing so hard I almost soiled myself! People can be funny at times.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/04 22:53:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennie
    As to the restaurant review ratings . . . I haven't read the reviews in question, so I can't say whether they were truly unhelpful, or whatever. If you want to suggest that all reviews, because they took the trouble to write them, should get a positive review, well . . . that seems silly to me. Why have the option to rate the review at all?
    Jennie

Your last question is a good one.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 03:56:26 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    ...For the record, when driving and someone flips me off, I'll typically acknowledge said flip with a smile and wave...utilizing all five fingers! It's not ruining my day!

I smiled and blew a kiss at single digit waving trucker one day. He turned all shades of red, pulled over and waved me/dared me to stop. I was laughing so hard I almost soiled myself! People can be funny at times.

My mom pretends to recognize them, smiling and waving like maybe she knows them from church.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7372
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 04:37:00 (permalink)
    Elise, I can just picture your mom doing that! Of course, this is the lovely lady that got snarky with you when you said, "Oh, this is beautiful!" in the Palm Springs museum to which she replied, "Of course it's beautiful......it's in a MUSEUM."

Don't mess with Elise's mom!
    sftreat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 06:46:09 (permalink)
    My mom always said, if you don't have something nice to say, shut your piehole. Mom's due out on parole any day now!
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 10:03:45 (permalink)
    My peeve is a review that has NO location in the subject line. "I love Pete's Diner" and it happens to be 3000 miles from me...doI care?
    V960
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 10:25:38 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I am a bit more mean. I had a trucker bump the back of my vintage (OK it's a 1983 but that is vintage for a BMW) BMW to force me to block an intersection (large sign not twenty feet away asking not to block the intersection). He not only gave me the one finger salute which I returned w/ a wide smile and a cheery wave but proceeded to break my driver's side window (that had to have hurt his hand). I am a great believer in the Second Amendment and exited my car w/ a coach shotgun. A shotgun almost always trumps an ugly stupid toothless wonder. I had already called the Police and when they arrived he was put into custody (don't think his delivery was made on time). The 633 CSi got a new paint job out of it and he got a few convictions.

Never think the old man who limps can't ruin your whole day w/ a 12 gauge. Had funny comment from the arresting officer..."Sir you have this shotgun loaded w/ shredder rounds""

"Yes Sir is that a problem"

"Oh No...Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 11:17:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    V960 Posted - 03/05/2007 : 10:25:38
    Never think the old man who limps can't ruin your whole day w/ a 12 gauge. Had funny comment from the arresting officer..."Sir you have this shotgun loaded w/ shredder rounds""

.........and what citation did you receive for unlawfully carrying a loaded coach shotgun in your vehicle??
    Better yet what's a nice guy like you having to protect yourself with a shotgun for at all times.........? where do you live Baghdad.........? or, are there that many people out to get you?
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 11:40:58 (permalink)
    I find almost all the reviews either very helpful or at the very least- entertaining. I may not live anywhere close to the "reviwee" ( is that a word?) but you never know- someday ( after winning the lottery) I may be in that locale and say to my self- "Self, didn't we read about a place not too far from here that serves fabulous eye of newt?" and then I can say sure, Roadfood had a review a while back- and pull out the laptop and check the forums and reviews and bam- there I am eating eye of newt ( not really, that does sound gross) but maybe ordering something else and having a grand old time.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18940
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 12:20:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    V960 Posted - 03/05/2007 : 10:25:38

.........and what citation did you receive for unlawfully carrying a loaded coach shotgun in your vehicle??
    Better yet what's a nice guy like you having to protect yourself with a shotgun for at all times.........? where do you live Baghdad.........? or, are there that many people out to get you?

He's in a state where it is quite "lawful" to carry his shotgun, or any other gun, in a vehicle. Be careful when jumping to conclusions, you might end up on a petard, and I understand that can hurt.
    V960
    RE: Your review is not helpful 2007/03/05 12:59:37 (permalink)
    A citation for having a LOADED shotgun? (bTW the most absurd item on the planet is an UNLOADED weapon). Not in North Carolina. I have a concealed carry permit (only for handguns) but a shotgun w/ legal length barrels is protected by the Second Amendment of the Constitution...minor document I know but still keeps us safe.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

I came out of the car w/ the shotgun because it tends to settle down the situation. Shotgun trumps a mean redneck everytime. Pump shotguns are better as the sound of a round being chambered is scary as the devil but a twelve gauge double barrel at close range settles the wild nut case. I can't physically fight anymore but as it is said "Sam Colt made all men equal". I may appear to be a large and imposing male but a ten year old could kick my butt w/o breaking a sweat.

Back to the reviews...I go back to wanting to know the location in the subject line. A hot dog place in SC is of great interest to me but a staek place in Texas is not.

I did not mean to sidetrack this thread and my apoligies for doing so but reviews tend to bring out the strangeness in us all. A review for a diner serving cheese curds in Wisconsin gets jumped on by someone from Flordia or California about fat content. Odd but it happens. Time to get off the soap box.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1