Your sandwich wish list

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
abigailsdaddy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2009/10/27 10:16:45 (permalink)

Your sandwich wish list

With sandwich choices being limited to Subway, Quiznos and those making the standards (ham, turkey, roast beef, etc.), I am planning a sandwich shop that offers the "off the beaten path" choice of sandwiches.

An example would include the following "southern" sandwiches:

Grilled tomato, bacon and cheddar with roasted red onion mayo
Grilled peanut butter and banana
Grilled tomato, mozzarella and bazil
Grilled pork and fontina
Grilled pimento cheese and tomato

I would like to hear from you: what kinds of sandwiches do you crave and yet, can't find anywhere.  They don't have to be "southern", just tasty.

Thanks for your input.

59 Replies Related Threads

appycamper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 11:03:47 (permalink)
    grilled sliced pear or apple and brie

thank you
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 11:05:41 (permalink)
    oh and an at-home favorite of mine bacon with egg salad
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 11:35:11 (permalink)
    An at home favourite of mine is turkey, ham and stuffing with cranberry sauce...I know a little Christmassy but I could eat those all the time!
    abigailsdaddy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 11:39:13 (permalink)
    Thank you appycamper and kirstine!  I like your suggestions; and kirstine, I think your sandwich would do especially well with the upcoming holidays.  Thanks again. 

Keep 'em coming!
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 12:01:21 (permalink)

You could offer specialty burgers like the Luther Burger, the Butter Burger and the Goober Burger.

Luther I prefer the grilled one, like in the third picture.

Butter

Goober
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 12:05:09 (permalink)
    cool! another at-home favorite of mine is sliced avocado and super thin-sliced red onion on toasted english muffin topped with a drizzle of caesar dressing.
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 12:12:02 (permalink)
    this is fun! just thought of one from sue grafton's mystery series featuring kinsey milhone: salami and pepper jack melted on a hard or kaiser roll and topped with a fried egg.
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 12:26:21 (permalink)
    haven't tried it as a sandwich but i love to take like 3 stalks of fresh asparagus and wrap them with a slice of prosciutto and grill as a side. could be awesome on a croissant with a dollop of hollandaise?
    Suzy Gruyere
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 12:34:44 (permalink)
    appycamper

haven't tried it as a sandwich but i love to take like 3 stalks of fresh asparagus and wrap them with a slice of prosciutto and grill as a side. could be awesome on a croissant with a dollop of hollandaise?

Bristol Farms markets here in southern California offer a sandwich that is similar to what you describe. I think the asparagus is wrapped in thinly sliced turkey and topped with tomatoes, maybe bacon, some type of white cheese and mayo on a seedy dark bread, then grilled/pressed. When you cut it in half, the green dots of the asparagus cross-sections are surprising and fun.

When I was in high school I worked summers at a now-defunct (I think) sandwich shop in PA. One of the specialty sandwiches there was called the Mad Dog. I think it was pastrami and turkey with cole slaw and Russian dressing on marble rye. I loved it so.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 13:07:11 (permalink)
    Jalapeno Cheese Bread Grilled Cheese
    Spicy Chicken Salad
    BLT with Fried Egg
    BLT with Avocado
    Itallian Beef
    Peanut Butter and Jelly on Salt Rye with Cold Butter
    Hard Salami with Cold Butter on Jewish Rye and Mustard
    Tuna Fish on Soft Itallian Bread Crushed Red Pepper and Soft Butter (capers and cracked fresh black pepper) Make sure Tuna Salad is not too wet.
    Warm Pastrami on lightly toasted Rye.
    Reuben Sandwich on Dark Pumpernickle (learn how to make it so the bottom is not soggy)
    http://rowlandweb.com/reuben/history.asp

Only way you are successful is if the Bread is Top Notch...Russ
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2009/10/27 13:23:23
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 13:07:31 (permalink)
    My own home-made favorite: French toast (made with no added sugar or vanilla, just soaked in beaten eggs with a little of milk and a dash of black pepper) sandwiched around sliced processed cheese (any flavor) the minute it comes out of the skillet, so it will melt the cheese.  A slice of ham can also be added at this time. (It's especially good when built up in this order: French toast, silce of cheese, slice of ham, another slice of cheese, French toast.)

The ultimate high-protein sandwich: bread slice spread with peanut butter, hard-boiled egg slices, slice of cheese, slice of ham or other meat, bread slice spread with horseradish sauce, hot pepper or other spicy mustard, or even sandwich spread, tartar sauce or mayo. (The peanut butter holds the hard-boiled egg slices in place.)

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 13:28:14 (permalink)
    6star

My own home-made favorite: French toast (made with no added sugar or vanilla, just soaked in beaten eggs with a little of milk and a dash of black pepper) sandwiched around sliced processed cheese (any flavor) the minute it comes out of the skillet, so it will melt the cheese.  A slice of ham can also be added at this time. (It's especially good when built up in this order: French toast, silce of cheese, slice of ham, another slice of cheese, French toast.)

The ultimate high-protein sandwich: bread slice spread with peanut butter, hard-boiled egg slices, slice of cheese, slice of ham or other meat, bread slice spread with horseradish sauce, hot pepper or other spicy mustard, or even sandwich spread, tartar sauce or mayo. (The peanut butter holds the hard-boiled egg slices in place.)

6star,
    Two great examples of signature sandwiches. If you have a Sandwich Shop you need something special like this....Russ
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 13:34:51 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus I like what you're doing there! We share similar tastebuds and stomachs
    appycamper
    Hamburger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 13:53:31 (permalink)
    this is a riff on a cheeseburger... sliced sirloin pounded as thin as you can without it breaking up. roll with pickle slice, cooked bacon and american cheese. tie it or use a couple of toothpicks to hold together. grill or fry and serve on crusty roll. 
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 14:01:08 (permalink)
    Cream cheese & chopped green olives on pumpernickel.

Cream cheese & spreadable fruit on lightly toasted honey wheat--like a cheesecake!!

Peanut Butter & Nutella

Nutella & marshmallow fluff
    post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/10/27 14:04:46
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1864
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 14:10:25 (permalink)
    A Classic BLT, but only if you have access to really really good tomatos.  The tomato makes or breaks this sandwich in my opinion.  This is a sandwich I always look for, is actualy hard to find, and when I do find it I want to see the tomatos first before I order it.  If they're irregular and ugly, I'll get it.  If they're perrfect hydroponics, pass.

A fav sandwich of mine from the sadly long gone Bushnell's Turtle (Iowa City, IA) was toasted caraway rye, split grilled bratwurst, melted havarti cheese, hot saurkraut, and plenty of rustic whole grain mustard. Insanely flavor packed.

Good toasted bread, sliced REAL turkey, and a cream cheese/cranberry spread. At the most you might put some fresh crunchy lettuce in here, but keep it simple.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 17:27:19 (permalink)
    When really good fresh tomatoes are not available---BLT with thick cut bacon.baby greens and fried green tomatoes on toasted Hawiian or Portugese bread or rolls and a dallop of mayo and a spread of pesto is AWESOME!!!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 17:45:10 (permalink)
    "Thanksgiving all year 'round" sandwich.................no restaurant serves this one!   Toasted white bread with good mayonnaise on it, slices of fresh turkey breast, layer of really good stuffing,
     and a slice of cranberry jelly..............with ice cold unpasteurized cider as the beverage.

Another one would be a well made  good old fashioned club sandwich, nicely cut with those great  long tooth picks to hold the quarters in place!  Too few places serve this anymore.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 18:05:03 (permalink)
    Great topic...

Head cheese on plain white bread with mustard & hot sauce.

Bologna, mustard, hot sauce & pickles on rye.

Hot sausage, raw onions, pickled peppers & bbq sauce on a poboy bun.

Leftover pork roast, gravy, stuffing on a good French bread.

Vienna sausages in hot sauce on stale white bread (fishing & hunting essential meal).

And the list goes on....

cy
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 18:09:13 (permalink)
      A classic Cuban Sandwich with roasted pork, smoked ham, bacon, Swiss cheese,and sour dill pickles. Cut a baguette and turn it inside out, butter it and insert all ingredients and grill with a press. One of my all time favorites!!!

JMHO

David O.

Whoops!!, I forgot the spicy mustard.
    post edited by boyardee65 - 2010/04/11 02:47:13
    abigailsdaddy
    Junior Burger
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/27 18:46:49 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

About the bread...what are your thoughts on dutch crunch, focaccia and ciabatta breads.  I'm mention them specifically because of the "crunch" they each have.  I realize I would also need to offer breads such as rye, sourdough, italian, wheat, white, etc. but like the crunchy bread because of the extra "surprise" the bread offers.
    rainyday6
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 00:32:26 (permalink)
    What I wish for most of all is no processed meats, not even minimally.  Everything roasted on site or at least no brining, injecting, rubbing, etc.  I want roast beef rare if I want.  Everything sliced paper thin.  Sturdy breads from a good local bakery, custom made to compliment the different sandwiches.  

That being said, I would like:

1. Super rare roast beef on a dense and chewy French roll, housemade mayo, swiss cheese.
    2. Turkey breast with cream cheese and cranberry sauce on croissant.
    3. Sunnyside up eggs, bacon, cheddar cheese and lemony holldaise sauce on parmesan and butter grilled sliced sourdough. 
    4. Open faced Ham, tomato and broiler-browned fondue on oversized English muffins. 
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 01:51:50 (permalink)
    There's a place in NYC that makes the Thanksgiving sandwich. 'wichcraft? I can't remember their name.

abigailsdaddy

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

About the bread...what are your thoughts on dutch crunch, focaccia and ciabatta breads.  I'm mention them specifically because of the "crunch" they each have.  I realize I would also need to offer breads such as rye, sourdough, italian, wheat, white, etc. but like the crunchy bread because of the extra "surprise" the bread offers.

Grilled fresh mozz, tomato & basil should be on the focaccia, hands down.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 04:23:18 (permalink)
    6star

Sounds like a Monte Christo sandwich to me. In our place we do the same with Texas toast but add turkey and serve it with a side of strawberry compote. I have seen this sandwich served deep fried with a light egg batter but I think that the bread soaks up too much oil. I have also seen this 'wich served with currant jelly.

JMHO

David O.
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 06:26:13 (permalink)
    How about fried baloney?  It is great in any sandwich, but I really loved the one that used to be sold by the now-long-gone Toot and Tell It drive in in Richlands, NC.  White bread, mustard, fried baloney and a drizzle of a special sauce - much like a hotdog sauce, spicy with a little bit of ground meat in it.  It was the best!
    sandwichking
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 08:04:37 (permalink)
    I have a dog cart and one sandwich I've been toying with is a round bun topped w/a crispy hash brown patty w/a ladle of thick hotdog chili on top and then a little yellow mustard, onions and 2 slices of am. cheese worked in there somewhere to melt. I luv 'em but the hashbrown has to be crispy to get all the textures goin'

Doug
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 08:54:11 (permalink)
    One of my favorite sandwiches is a grilled chicken breast on an onion roll with lettuce, tomato, sautéed onions and hot/sweet mustard. I've been making this at home lately, and have been using whole wheat onion rolls.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1864
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 09:26:15 (permalink)
    Spam cut 1/4 thin, grilled on both sides, pickled red onion slices, Thai sweet chili sauce, couple wafer thin jalapeno slices, on a grilled onion bun.  My hawaiian ex-in-laws made this all the time.  Surprisingly addictive.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Your sandwich wish list 2009/10/28 11:45:04 (permalink)
    boyardee65

6star

Sounds like a Monte Christo sandwich to me. In our place we do the same with Texas toast but add turkey and serve it with a side of strawberry compote. I have seen this sandwich served deep fried with a light egg batter but I think that the bread soaks up too much oil. I have also seen this 'wich served with currant jelly.

JMHO

David O.

To me, there is a big difference between a Monte Cristo and my French toast sandwich.  A Monte Cristo sandwich is put together first and then dipped in egg or in an egg batter.  With my French toast sandwich, the bread is dipped in the egg mixture on both sides of the bread (and let to soak in a little) before frying, so when fried, it is truely what I used to call it as a child, "egg bread" (with a good eggy flavor to it).  Only then, after frying, is the sandwich put together.  If you love the flavor of scrambled eggs, try making the sandwich both ways, and you will be able to taste the difference.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1