"Youse guys"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Roy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
2003/11/18 17:39:11 (permalink)

"Youse guys"

I'm sure there must be one or two other Roadfoodies that are sick of being addressed as "youse guys" by the servers of any number of restaurants. It's even more ludicrous when my wife and I are accompanied by my 84 year old mother-in-law. I find it irritating but she is genuinely offended. Usually the servers are doing a decent job but it is apparently the policy at a lot of places to address people this way. How about "you folks" or something similar.
Anybody know of any places that greet their guests this way. Maybe if we post their names, they'll get the point.

34 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 17:44:01 (permalink)
    While I've not heard "youse guys," I am familiar with "How are you guys tonight." And the always charming, "Are you guys ready to order?" And then there's, "Do you guys know what you want yet?"
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 17:47:17 (permalink)
    Went thru a "you guys" experience a few weeks ago. Wouldn't have been so bad-------but I guess the waiter just couldn't figure out that my female dining companion wasn't a guy. I guess that's in the second year training!" />
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 17:47:57 (permalink)
    Actually Roy, I think it must e a habit more than a insult. In the south, greetings are not generally that way. You would probably find more of: yes sir or no sir or yes mam or no mam.

When I am Philly at our home office area, I find the terminology you indicated more prevalent. "Youse guys" seems to be a northern termonology which seems to reflect all that is in a group. I hear it a lot and have not been offended. We do dinners in a group which generally includes males and females and the females seem to take it in stride.

The wait people never seem to do it to offend.

If I were you and it offended me, I would not go back. No place is worth being offended over. Remember, it is your dollars and how you spend them depends on you. You vote with your dollars.

Termonology is different all over the USA. NYC is totally different than Knoxville, TN. Wait people here tend to be very polite and NYC tends to be a bit on the crass side. That is sort of expected and sometimes enjoyed as I have heard described on other post.

If I were you, I would let it go.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 18:12:29 (permalink)
    'Youse guys' in a diner is entirely appropriate, but when I'm coughing up the big bucks for a meal I like to be addressed singularly.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 19:14:16 (permalink)
    I've never had the "youse guys" treatment at a "nice" restaurant, but it's very common where I come from, Niagara Falls, NY. Actually, more common is "yahs," as in "I'll come back in a minute and see what yahs want." My wife, who's not from my home town, picked up on it right away, having never heard it before. It drives my mom, who still lives there, CRAZY. Doesn't bother me.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 22:01:56 (permalink)
    Here in Texas, you'd hear "Y'all ready to order,hun?"
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/18 22:14:16 (permalink)
    Sundancer is right. Youse (pronounced yewz)is a very Philly thing. I personally can't stand it, but it is common here. It sounds very uneducated to my ears.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 14:25:30 (permalink)
    I don't know. Is youse ( I assume plural for you) better than saying "Are y'all ready to order". Of course in this context y'all might be the singular, wherein the plural would be; "Are all y'all ready to order". I still don't know.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 14:28:38 (permalink)
    In my part of the woods, "y'all" is always appropriate and mannerly. It is not used to address a single person.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 14:34:36 (permalink)
    we get "you-ins" sometimes...As in...You-ins ready to order?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 15:08:35 (permalink)
    It usually involves the training the waiters (-esses) have. They are usually taught to be friendly in the local vernacular by managers not much older than they are. Most of the time they are not rude or surly, it's just the way they were taught. As Paul said above, you even expect it in certain areas of the country. Sometimes even the surly types are legendary. I used to frequent a sub shop in PA (no longer with us, where the OWNER himself used to ask for your order thusly, "What the want do you f**k?" Many felt insulted if they didn't get that greeting. We are too sensitive folks. I sometimes wonder if its an ego thing. In a business or social meeting, people expect to be addressed properly, sitting at a casual restaurant manned by 16-19 year olds, we should not be so sensitive.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7890
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 15:09:06 (permalink)
    When I was in Pittsburgh, "Yinz Guys" was a common term used over there.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 15:23:12 (permalink)
    It was hit on in an earlier post that we pretty much expect it in a diner situation. This I agree, or in a very casual place. My complaint on it was in an upscale chain----a place you might go out for a nice evening out. In that context, it's not appropriate. To me, the difference is the place-----if I'm paying upwards of $50.00 for dinner for 2, I expect approprite respect and treatment. It alsodepends on the age of the help----I can feel ok about a waitress in a roadfoody type cafe that's my age or older saying "you guys" or something similar----but to have a nineteen year old doing it smacks of a lack of respect, especially in a fancier place where people are going for a true "evening out" type experience. As oneiron mentioned-------and I have places I love to go to where I expect the "rude" greeting----but those places are known for it, and you do expect it. I just don't expect it at an upscale chain eatery known for it's being a "classy place".
    Oneiron339
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 15:38:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

It was hit on in an earlier post that we pretty much expect it in a diner situation. This I agree, or in a very casual place. My complaint on it was in an upscale chain----a place you might go out for a nice evening out. In that context, it's not appropriate. To me, the difference is the place-----if I'm paying upwards of $50.00 for dinner for 2, I expect approprite respect and treatment. It alsodepends on the age of the help----I can feel ok about a waitress in a roadfoody type cafe that's my age or older saying "you guys" or something similar----but to have a nineteen year old doing it smacks of a lack of respect, especially in a fancier place where people are going for a true "evening out" type experience. As oneiron mentioned-------and I have places I love to go to where I expect the "rude" greeting----but those places are known for it, and you do expect it. I just don't expect it at an upscale chain eatery known for it's being a "classy place".

So Ed, What the want do you f**k?
    Oneiron339
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 15:40:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:

Im joking Ed, get it, Ed?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 16:11:55 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Just some F**kn respect!!!!!" />
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 16:14:36 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Believe me, oneiron------I'm as casual a guy as you'll find------I get it!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/19 16:24:40 (permalink)
    "Youse guys" is not my favorite expression in a restaurant but as a mature women the greeting I cannot stand is for some 19 year old twerp to say to me is".........and young lady, what can I bring for you?" I would like to smack him in the face. The term "young lady" should never be used for any female over 12 years of age!
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/20 08:53:19 (permalink)
    In our neck of the woods (Reading, PA), the first thing out of a server's mouth is likely to be "Can I bring youse a drink awhile?"
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/20 12:48:29 (permalink)
    Chezkatie reminded me that--"The term "young lady" should never be used for any female over 12 years of age!"
    AND
    Should only be used in a sentence that contains "Go to your room" or Grounded for life" !!

I prefer the Adult server's groveling "May I help you SIR?" to the smartass youth who half-shouts to me while watching His friend outside, or a tushy as it wanders within sight "Know whatcha want yet?"
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/20 13:00:01 (permalink)
    Al,

I know what you mean and along those lines ... I hate it when I don't get their full attention !!! I'M THE PAYING CUSTOMER !! Look at me and listen to me, don't to do 10 things at one time ! Don't worry about your hair, or somebody walking by .....
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/20 14:59:34 (permalink)
    Think about poor (late?) Jimmy Hoffa who would just kill to be addressed as "youze guys" again.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/20 19:48:33 (permalink)
    Here in rural Ontario youse is word heard too often and can take many forms. Wouldjouse like a drink before dinner? How areyouse tonight? Didyouse like that? I seenyouse at the show. It brings the level of a dining experience down especially if you have been reading books written in the English language.
    Oneiron339
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/11/21 09:12:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

Think about poor (late?) Jimmy Hoffa who would just kill to be addressed as "youze guys" again.

Or, perhaps, he'd probably want to kill alot of youse guys for burying him under the Giants Stadium (as the legend goes).
    Plaza 6
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/12/01 00:12:01 (permalink)
    I'am their for the FOOd,I really don't care how I'am greeted, just as long as 'am not given a seat by the door or kitchen, if there are planty of seats avelible. I think the worst Is ARE YOU PEOPLE READY TO ORDER.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/12/01 00:35:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Sundancer is right. Youse (pronounced yewz)is a very Philly thing. I personally can't stand it, but it is common here. It sounds very uneducated to my ears.

But to me, it's irresistibly sexy. I was crazy half in love with a guy in our Philly field office and loved to hear him talk...
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/12/01 13:06:36 (permalink)
    OneIron made a particularly good point about wait staff being instructed by managers who are barely older, or in some cases younger than they are. Young people <God I sound OLD here> are no longer taught manners or business-like behavior in school, and most do not get it at home. So when they enter the work world they are untrained in how someone would want to be addressed, and many really don't care about how they act. My wife and I recently stopped by a Friendly's to get a little dessert after being out on a Sunday afternoon. While we were waiting for a table, a customer who had had a poor experience there, was complaining, <in a polite fashion> to the hostess and asked if there was an "800" number where she could call the home office. The hostess who was about 18-20 essentially told the woman to stuff it, and then gave her the phone number and told the customer to "Go for it lady!" We decided that we didn't want to eat there, and left before we ever got a table. Now I certainly blame the hostess for such poor manners, but I suggest that I someone looked deeper, she'd never been taught anything different.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/12/01 16:34:27 (permalink)
    As I get older, especially since I passed 60, the thing that irritates me is for servers (or nurses or doctors or any damned body) to patronizingly call us gray headed old farts "honey", "sweetie" or some other term in a voice usually reserved for 4 year olds. My normal 20% TIP will fall to 10% very quickly when I think I'm being patronized.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: "Youse guys" 2003/12/01 17:32:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

As I get older, especially since I passed 60, the thing that irritates me is for servers (or nurses or doctors or any damned body) to patronizingly call us gray headed old farts "honey", "sweetie" or some other term in a voice usually reserved for 4 year olds. My normal 20% TIP will fall to 10% very quickly when I think I'm being patronized.

Oooh! Me Too! Unless they are calling me "gorgeous" or "beautiful"

In all the years I was nursing I never talked to patients like that (unless they were under 10). I used "Sir", ", M'am", and always used formal address unless I was asked to do otherwise. There's enough indignity that goes on without having some little nurse call you honey or baby.

I did give a newly-minted, hot-stuff resident pause one day in the ICU after I saved his a** and he said "Way to go BABE". I will not repeat what I said to him, but I was always "Nurse E." to him after that.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1