Zipp's in Cincy

Author
Banshee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2005/08/29 15:56:51 (permalink)

Zipp's in Cincy

If you ever make it to the East side of Cincinnati, you have to stop at Zipp's! They have the best hamburgers in the whole world (and the chili isn't all that bad either)!

26 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/08/29 16:33:56 (permalink)
    I live near Zips, have given them multiple tries, and found them to lacking on every occasion.

For a better burger in Cincinnati, try Arthur's in Hyde Park or Quatman's (or Indian Mound Cafe, as a close second) in Norwood
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/08/29 19:35:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I live near Zips, have given them multiple tries, and found them to lacking on every occasion.

For a better burger in Cincinnati, try Arthur's in Hyde Park or Quatman's (or Indian Mound Cafe, as a close second) in Norwood

I have to second TJ on this one.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/08/30 00:44:31 (permalink)
    The Main Street Bar & Grill in Newtown serves a pretty good burger, as does the Wooster Tavern in Mariemont. I've also enjoyed the burgers at Salem Gardens outside of Mt. Washington and at the Skyline Tavern in Highland Heights, just off the Northern Kentucky University campus.
    wesleyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/08/30 13:41:09 (permalink)
    I love Zips. They make a great burger. However, Salem Gardens makes the best burger in Cincinnati.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/08/30 21:42:53 (permalink)
    Salem Gardens is only a mile away from wesleyman and I.....I ate there just once, had a burger of course, and categorized it as good but not great. Service very friendly and informal, as I recall.

I'll have to give it another go, on wesleyman's word.....it being so close by and all
    wesleyman
    Hamburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/09/04 14:51:48 (permalink)
    We love the Gardens TJ. Service is always adequate. You either get the old timers who call you hon and are super, or you get the juniors and seniors from Anderson and Turpin who are not so good. Either way I like their burgers, simple but juicy and tasty. We go up to watch basketball a lot, its a good atmosphere even with the kids.

Aurthurs is good too. J and J's over in Bridgetown makes a good burger. They are the ultimate greasy spoon.

johnmu2005
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/09/05 21:09:21 (permalink)
    Quatman's in Norwood has hands down the best burger in Cincinnati...if not the whole world! Big juicy burger that tastes exactly the same every time you go. Many of the employees have been there for decades, and despite serving the food on paper plates, the place has tons of character. For anyone who hasn't been there, it is definitely worth the drive (At the corner of Montgomery Road and Quatman Ave.)
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/09/21 17:20:29 (permalink)
    I had to stop by my doc's office (at the corner of Salem and Beechmont) around lunch time today, so I decided to drop by Salem Gardens for another go at their burger.

I ordered the half pounder (the standard burger is a quarter pound patty) with swiss, american, onions, and lettuce, and when i was told I could have it cooked to order, asked for medium rare to medium.

It came back medium well to well done, and was not very juicy or flavorful at all. It wasn't bad, not at all, and I had no complaints, but it wasn't outstanding in any way.

Salem Gardens is close enough by that I can give it a few more shots, but should I be opting for the standard smaller burger? the patty melt? wally? wesley?
    wesleyman
    Hamburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/09 22:33:30 (permalink)
    Sorry i just saw your post TJ. I'd say if you tried the Garden twice and didnt like, it may just not be your thing. We went there for my Birthday(one day after you posted this interestingly enough) and it was good. my wife and i always get half pound basket and get double fries with cheese instead of slaw. i think it reminds me of a hommade burger and thats why i like it. They always come with plenty of fresh toppings, tomatoes, lettuce adn thick cut slice
    of onion which i really like. Ive never not had a juicy burger there, if anything i have gotten too juicy. I'll admit the burger doesn't have a unique or extra special flavor, I just think its a good solid homemade tasting burger.

I dont think they have been as good since the fire, but still good. and close to home.

In the good old days Bob Huggins would often stumble into Salem Gardens and hassle any Xavier fans he saw.

Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/10 23:04:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wesleyman

In the good old days Bob Huggins would often stumble into Salem Gardens and hassle any Xavier fans he saw.

Then he'd stagger into the Wooster Tavern, then into .........

A friend of mine played in a charity scramble a few years back and Huggins was in the foursome in front of them. This guy said his sides hurt at the end of the day from laughing. Apparently Bob gets more entertaining as the round progresses and the beer flows.

Anyone ever eat at the short-lived Hugg's Inn up on Madison? I always wanted to walk in there with a Xavier shirt on, but that would mean I'd have to buy a Xavier shirt. Some things I just won't do.
    wesleyman
    Hamburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/11 13:35:09 (permalink)

yeah, Im sure Bob made his rounds. i remember him being particularly scathing to someone in a blue shirt one evening at Salem gardens. And i mean a blue shirt, not a xavier shirt, the poor guy just happenned to be wearing blue.

Wooster Tavern is pretty good.

I used to love Huggs Inn. The food was nothing spectacular, but it was great for watching the games and the had a basketball court.
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/13 08:40:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:
    Originally posted by wesleyman

Then he'd stagger into the Wooster Tavern, then into .........

A friend of mine played in a charity scramble a few years back and Huggins was in the foursome in front of them. This guy said his sides hurt at the end of the day from laughing. Apparently Bob gets more entertaining as the round progresses and the beer flows.

Anyone ever eat at the short-lived Hugg's Inn up on Madison? I always wanted to walk in there with a Xavier shirt on, but that would mean I'd have to buy a Xavier shirt. Some things I just won't do.

I'd have sooner eaten at McDonald's than grace Bob Huggins' joint with my business. Or Bill Cunningham's for that matter....

I liked the Salem Gardens OK when we lived in Mt. Washington. But just OK. The best place for a burger was Harold's Bar & Grill, which used to be at the corner of Beechmont and Sutton. That was a swell old place. Dark, cool, with a great burger-all-the-way.

I never tried Quatman Cafe, but a friend of mine who lived down the street from the place took her two foster sons there once a week and they loved it.

I would have to second (third? fourth? fifth? I've lost count) the notion that Zip's is really overrated. I mean, it's OK, it's kind of fun, what with the toy train and all, and it's local rather than chain. But not worth raving about. I've always harbored a secret suspicion that its reputation rests firmly on its location: Heavily Yuppie Mount Lookout, with proximity to the rarified environs of Hyde Park.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/13 08:56:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee
    The best place for a burger was Harold's Bar & Grill, which used to be at the corner of Beechmont and Sutton. That was a swell old place. Dark, cool, with a great burger-all-the-way.

on the 4 corners of that intersection (which I pass through twice a day every weekday) now is

Corbly side
    Kroger's, ie the great wall of Mt Washington.
    Key Bank

Sutton side
    Walgreens (0n the former Hardee's and mini public parking site)
    Union Savings Bank

which corner housed Harold's, and how long ago was this?

-TJ-
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/14 14:29:24 (permalink)
    Went by the place that was Hugg's, and before that, Blue Moon, and before that...etc etc...it is now Mulligan's of Hyde park
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/14 15:31:27 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    The best place for a burger was Harold's Bar & Grill, which used to be at the corner of Beechmont and Sutton. That was a swell old place. Dark, cool, with a great burger-all-the-way.

on the 4 corners of that intersection (which I pass through twice a day every weekday) now is

Corbly side
    Key Bank

Sutton side
    Union Savings Bank

-TJ-

I'm going to guess that it was the spot where Kroger's now stands. There was a small bar there that we used to occasionally hit on weekends because they had live music. Can't remember the name anymore, but back then I think the lineup included a Hardee's where Walgreens now stands, and two banks on the other corners. That was 20 or so years back, so it's fair to say that the Kroger location was the only possible answer.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/14 15:34:04 (permalink)
    quote:

I'd have sooner eaten at McDonald's than grace Bob Huggins' joint with my business. Or Bill Cunningham's for that matter....

Works for me. I'm not a fan of either, although I have a friend who has benefitted greatly from doing Cunningham a favor once a few years ago.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/14 16:18:21 (permalink)
    Doogie's
    jmckee
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/17 12:54:20 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Corbly side
    Key Bank

Sutton side
    Union Savings Bank

-TJ-

Harold's was on the Walgreens site, right on the corner, next to a pharmacy the name of which escapes me.

Harold's has been gone at least 14 years or so. But the memory lingers.... My wife and I used to walk there from our old house off of Sutton, have a burger and a beer, and walk home.....
    jmckee
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/17 12:56:03 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Corbly side
    Key Bank

Sutton side
    Union Savings Bank

-TJ-

I'm going to guess that it was the spot where Kroger's now stands. There was a small bar there that we used to occasionally hit on weekends because they had live music. Can't remember the name anymore, but back then I think the lineup included a Hardee's where Walgreens now stands, and two banks on the other corners. That was 20 or so years back, so it's fair to say that the Kroger location was the only possible answer.

No, that was The Station, a former gas station (natch). My next door neighbor, a divorced lady who, ummmm, like a good time used to wander home from the station and have trouble getting into her own house. Her grown daughter used to have to come let her in. Once, she lost her keys in the unmown back yard trying to let herself into the tool shed, thinking it was the front door......
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/17 21:22:49 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Corbly side
    Key Bank

Sutton side
    Union Savings Bank

-TJ-

No, that was The Station, a former gas station (natch). My next door neighbor, a divorced lady who, ummmm, like a good time used to wander home from the station and have trouble getting into her own house. Her grown daughter used to have to come let her in. Once, she lost her keys in the unmown back yard trying to let herself into the tool shed, thinking it was the front door......

I don't remember The Station. It had another name when I visited it in the mid to late 80's. Mingles maybe? I got to know the Cincinnati area bars pretty well, but twenty+ years later, a lot of the names have melted together.
    Your neighbor sounds like a former friend of mine. He'd mistake the lid on his turtable for a toilet seat after a night of "refreshments". I'll leave the rest of this picture to your imagination, but I will say that no one was anxious to lend him an album after that.
    jmckee
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/21 09:13:10 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Corbly side
    Key Bank

Sutton side
    Union Savings Bank

-TJ-

I don't remember The Station. It had another name when I visited it in the mid to late 80's. Mingles maybe? I got to know the Cincinnati area bars pretty well, but twenty+ years later, a lot of the names have melted together.
    Your neighbor sounds like a former friend of mine. He'd mistake the lid on his turtable for a toilet seat after a night of "refreshments". I'll leave the rest of this picture to your imagination, but I will say that no one was anxious to lend him an album after that.

Mingles was further up Beechmont, at that odd little shopping center across from Mears Avenue.

Relieved himself on the music, eh? Gosh. Everybody's a critic.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/10/21 09:34:56 (permalink)
    Mingles is now Lisa's Billiards
    mabk34
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2005/11/01 16:51:05 (permalink)
    I like Zip's burgers, but I like Habit's in Oakley better.
    Hamburgler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2006/05/11 14:19:44 (permalink)
    Try Zola's in the Main Strauss area in Covington. Their burger is one of the best I've ever had.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2006/05/11 14:59:37 (permalink)
    Zola's is indeed pretty good, especially on Wednesday when it's 5 bucks for all the toppings you want.
    startrooper00
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Zipp's in Cincy 2006/05/11 23:07:18 (permalink)
    I love the entire Main Strasse area in Covington.... And, yes...Zola's is great. Back when I was younger..I used to love going to Tickets...Just a few blocks down from Main Strasse..>I never got a bad burger there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1