Zucchini Vichyssoise

Author
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
2004/07/16 09:51:58 (permalink)

Zucchini Vichyssoise

This was just passed on to me at a time when the zucchini are plentiful!

Zucchini Vichyssoie

3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground white pepper
1/2 finely minced shallots
3/4 pound zucchini (about 2 med-lg) trimmed and thinly sliced
Mint leaves for garnish

Put everything in a med saucepan and bring it almost to a boil. Lower heat andsimmer 12-15 minutes until veggies are soft

Puree (with immersion blender or regular blender) until smooth.Transfer to bowl or pitcher and chill several hours.

Before serving adjust seasoning. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken stock to thin a little.. Serve with slivered mint leaves on top.

This is really,really yummy and easy way to use up those zuchini.

1 Reply Related Threads

hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Zucchini Vichyssoise 2004/07/17 02:07:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, lamertz. Looks good. I”ve never had any luck growing squash so I’ll have to pick some up. Here’s one for you - Curried Zucchini Soup:

2.5C chicken stock
    1 T olive oil
    1.5 # zucchini, sliced
    3/4 C yellow onion, finely chopped
    1/2 t curry powder, or more to taste
    Ground black pepper to taste
    Garnish: nonfat yogurt

Saute the zucchini in a heavy bottomed pan for a couple of mins, add the onion and continue to saute until translucent. Stir in curry powder and cook for one minute. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins.

Cool slightly then puree in a blender, adding black pepper to taste. Serve hot or cold with a dollop of yogurt.

Yield 4 C.

This comes from a cookbook from a very upscale restaurant operated by the Methodist Hospital system here for a while that was designed to be a completely heart-healthy menu, hence the nonfat yogurt. I always cheat on that!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1