Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!!

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
2010/01/19 16:14:00 (permalink)

Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!!

On the review of John Sagi,I stopped today to try the Italian Hot Dog at Zuka's on Fischer Blvd in Toms River...and I am excited......It is a great find for the Jersey shore...a touch of North Jersey in my own back yard..Talked with the co-owner(I think it was Lynn) and she is working hard to produce some great food and very nice prices.My single Italian at just over $3.00 was a buy...the potatoes were nicely crisp! It was a skinless sabrett..the skinned variety is used for dirty dogs...One of my dog faves, Thumann's natural casings are deep fried, northern style with so many toppings to choose from.....I can't wait to get back and try one of their many varieties...I'm dying to taste the dog covered in pulled pork.They're on the web...get the complete menu there...Let me know what you think...Theowner reminded me it's on the March 13th tour with John .......This stop alone should make you sign up!!!!!!

19 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 16:18:58 (permalink)
    Here's the menu from their website.

http://www.zukashotgrill.com/6301.html
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4653
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 16:44:57 (permalink)
    why are the "Fat" sandwiches so named?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 17:01:16 (permalink)
    That's one I didn't ask...maybe John Sagi knows!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 18:53:23 (permalink)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Sandwich

Did some research ...appears a fat sandwich is a LARGE sub with various mixed ingredients...like chicken fingers, sausage, burgers, etc, etc....so take that description ans look at Zuka's offerings...makes sense!
    ZukaHG
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 19:09:51 (permalink)
    "Fat" Sandwiches.... Some of the local High School students suggest we add "Fat" sandwiches to our menu and explained how some of them were made. So we put together a couple combinations of our own to start and added more when suggested and tested by our customers. 

Hope this answers your question.

John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 20:20:52 (permalink)
    The fat sandwiches are very popular at Rutgers, where my son is a student. They are sold from the "grease trucks" and are very inexpensive.

Looking forward to the upcoming Central Jersey Tour in March. I've been to Frankly Burgers and More. Their regular and Italian Hot Dogs are excellent. I've had some franks from D A Barsch and they are very good German style franks. I haven't been to Boardwalk Hot Dogs but I anticipate liking their dogs as they serve the Schickhaus frank on a griddle. I also think I'll like the dogs at Zuka's based on the pictures I've seen on their website and the reviews posted here. I love Italian Hot Dogs and theirs looks fine, but I much prefer Best's to Sabrett's. A better flavor and it fries up better.

New England Hot Dog Co. is a place I've been meaning to try even though I don't think I'll like it. But I will go there with an open mind. Too many people have told me that their dogs aren't served hot enough. And major demerits for having a roller grill as the default method of preparing a hot dog. These things are for movie theatres, 7-11's, and gas stations, not reputable New Jersey hot dog joints. I know that you can "special order" your dog grilled, but this should be offerred first before a roller grill. They come off as the New England chain that they are with little knowledge or respect for New Jersey Hot Dog culture.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/19 22:08:10 (permalink)
    Suddenly, I might be going on the Central Jersey Tour.

The Bear
    John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/20 21:34:08 (permalink)
    Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been traveling up north New Brunswick, NJ, Moms in the Hospital.

I see Lynn has answered the questions.
    John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/20 21:38:06 (permalink)
    leethebard

I live 5 minutes from Zuka's, next time your going to be around give me a hollar, will have dog at Zukas.

John
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/20 22:13:24 (permalink)
    John,you're on...will let you know!!!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/01/20 23:25:26 (permalink)
    tnx so much, lee the bard , for turning us on to this place !!!
    I just found this thread late last night, and immediately became a FAN of ZUKA'S on Facebook !!  Zuka replied to me right away, and I love their enthusiasm, and their use of fresh & homemade products ! (like fresh cut fries, and housemade roast beef!!)

Can't wait to try your Italian Hot Dog, ZUKA !!
    Not sure if I can wait all the way till March, though! That's like 2 whole months away!!!
    And I only live 45 minutes away... do I'm almost positive I'll sneak a visit in before that...
    Hope to "meat up" with you soon, ZUKA !

However, I'll probably still go on the tour, cuz it will be great to see you again, JOHN FOX,
    and hopefully you too, SCREENBEAR !!
    And , are we going to actually have a chance to finally "MEAT YOU", LEE  THE BARD ?!??
    You have been a screen name for far too long now !!!  I wanna call your bluff, and see just
    who you are !! 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/01 21:45:53 (permalink)
    Was passing down Fischer Blvd today and on the spur of the moment, found myself at Zuka's again. Mondays , I found out, you buy two dogs, you get a third free. I had three great deep fried Thumanns today..one with regular chili, one with the spicy chili, and one with pulled pork toppimg. All three were great...I loved the mixture of the barbecued pulled pork on the crisp hot dog...and the spiced home made chili was someting special....all for about $5.oo...great deal......they have different specials for each day.....Sure glad I pulled in again....I'll try to let you know when I go again John!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/02 00:41:35 (permalink)
    John Fox

"The fat sandwiches are very popular at Rutgers, where my son is a student. They are sold from the "grease trucks" and are very inexpensive."

John,
    There was a show on Food Network or Travel Channel just last night about the "Grease Trucks" at Rutgers. They featured one Guy's Truck. Been there for Years. Don't remember which one. It may have been the one who made the first "Fart"-- Excuse Me--"Fat".
    I can't remember what I had for Breakfast!
    The food looked DISGUSTINGLY------------Good.

Dumb College Kids standing in line in the Freezing Cold, 2AM in the AM! to put food in their bodies that may shorten their lives by 10 years!

I was fascinated by the Whole Scene!

Multiple "Grease Trucks" parked next to each other, with Auxiliary Lighting, somewhere near Campus, I suppose???
    No Zoning Regulations??? Must be a Fly Over Zone or a Duty Free Zone or No Tariff Zone,
    or if you're from the Health Dept, We'll Kill You Zone.
    Health Dept. closes at 6PM ZONE?????

John---This is Serious--- We need a FULL, "HERALDO" Style Investigative Report on HOW all this comes together, INCLUDING the history of the "Grease Trucks", How they operate where they are. How they continue to operate in a Squeaky Clean Political Environment that is NJ -- Where No Kick Backs, Bribes, Political Contributions, or any other Under the Table Arrangements are ever made!
    (You may need to hire your son as an undercover investigat\or!)

John, You're our Highly Thought of  Knight in Shining Armor--- A Bastion of Truth, A Man of Honor and The American Way, and the Supreme Source of all things Hot Dog in the Tri-State Area.

We expect a full, unbiased report in the matter of fact style you are known for. Take your NoteBook and Sleeping Bag!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/02 00:44:12
    John Fox
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/02 13:44:49 (permalink)
    Me, I'm just a humble, though opinionated hot dog lover. I do strive for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

As for the Grease Trucks, can't do a full report unless they serve a quality hot dog. Have to check with my son. He eats there once in awhile. The Travel Channel included a segment on their "Countdown" series that was taken from a previous "Man vs. Food" show with Adam Richman. My son could actually be seen behind  Adam in the very beginning of the program.

I almost stopped at these trucks a few weeks ago. I went to Rutgers with my son to see a wrestling match. Afterwards I was going to stop at the trucks but we decided to go to a place called Stuff Yer Face, which was also featured on the Man vs. Food show. I wanted to sit down and have a beer (or 2 or 3) which you can't do at the trucks. Stuff Yer Face has a great selection of beer as well as the best stromboli I've ever had. They are known for these.

Next time there is a home wrestling match (Feb. 16th I think) I will stop at the Grease Trucks and give a full report. Although I don't think I can persuade the owners to tell me how they get to operate in the sleazy, corrupt  Political mess which is New Jersey. I only stay here because the hot dogs and other food is so good.

A guy who operated a lunch truck at my job (otherwise known as roach coach) swore to me that a friend of his had to pay all sorts of money to certain unsavory people in order to operate his truck at certain big events. I can believe it.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/02 15:56:02 (permalink)
    John Fox

A guy who operated a lunch truck at my job (otherwise known as roach coach) swore to me that a friend of his had to pay all sorts of money to certain unsavory people in order to operate his truck at certain big events. I can believe it.

Naw, that can't be true! Unsavory people in NJ??? NEVER. Paying money to stay in business in NJ " />" />-------Say it isn't so!!
    Anxiously awaiting your Report! I suggest you not tell the truck operators you're doing an "Investigative report". Might not be good for your health! ---- And don't wear your FBI Ballcap either!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/02 16:02:56
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/05 18:00:37 (permalink)
    John Fox

Me, I'm just a humble, though opinionated hot dog lover. I do strive for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

As for the Grease Trucks, can't do a full report unless they serve a quality hot dog. Have to check with my son. He eats there once in awhile. The Travel Channel included a segment on their "Countdown" series that was taken from a previous "Man vs. Food" show with Adam Richman. My son could actually be seen behind  Adam in the very beginning of the program.

I almost stopped at these trucks a few weeks ago. I went to Rutgers with my son to see a wrestling match. Afterwards I was going to stop at the trucks but we decided to go to a place called Stuff Yer Face, which was also featured on the Man vs. Food show. I wanted to sit down and have a beer (or 2 or 3) which you can't do at the trucks. Stuff Yer Face has a great selection of beer as well as the best stromboli I've ever had. They are known for these.

Next time there is a home wrestling match (Feb. 16th I think) I will stop at the Grease Trucks and give a full report. Although I don't think I can persuade the owners to tell me how they get to operate in the sleazy, corrupt  Political mess which is New Jersey. I only stay here because the hot dogs and other food is so good.

as you head into NEW Brunswick , need to check out TIDO'S in his Junkyard Dog's  139 easton ave, N.B. N.J. THERE in between RWJ HOSPITAL AND SAINT PETERS HOSPITAL'S........ there on the right side coming up easton ave. from the downtown area ( the corner they sit on ,the cross road v's off to the right). i'm going to pop them a tread !!!!
    John Fox
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/05 19:50:22 (permalink)
    I read your post on the other thread. I did see an article recently (probably the same one) mentioning that Tido's has been sold.

I've been there in the summer of 06 with the Star Ledger S.W.A.T. Team. We reviewed 87 places and Tido's had the distinction of being the the absolute worst! Hopefully they changed for the better. I'll post my review below. Remember, this is roughly 3 years ago. Since I'm at Rutgers occasionally, I'll check them out again.

31) Tido's, New Brunswick
    A fairly new place, Tido's has been open for about 2 years. Located close to Rutgers. There are 3 dogs served here. A Sabrett all beef, a Hatfield beef and pork, and a turkey dog. All skinless, all boiled. I didn't sample the turkey dog. The Sabrett dog wasn't hot and had been in the water too long. Not a good dog. The Hatfield beef and pork dog, which is what they serve most of, and what you get if you come in and order a dog without specifying which one, has the distinction of being the worst hot dog I've ever eaten. It was so bad that I had to have another one just to be sure that it wasn't spoiled. I even went in the refrigerator and checked the date on the package, which was good. The only way I can describe this dog was too salty with a horrible spicing. Ironically, the fries were one of the best that we've had. So, the last 2 stops had 2 of the 3 worst dogs of the summer in my opinion as well as most on the S.W.A.T. Team.

Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/06 19:12:43 (permalink)
    WELL, I SAID IT WAS GOOD............. I NEVER SAID IT WAS FANTASTIC ,  I WAS GOING TO GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY, I DO WANT TO TRY THERE ITALIAN HOT DOG. (JUST NOTICED MY CAPS) SORRY........ yes the dog was ok to good , thats why i said over all it was good!!!  it's worth another shot ,and i'm going to give it another visit........... you know over the year's i must of went by there hundreds of times........ my buddy like it very much, but he do's have a habit of eating dog's loaded with everything , so, dog's get lost with him.

well lets see what happens on the next trip..................

yes the newspaper ........... the home news tribune !!!
    John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Zuka's Hot Grill:Wow,What an Italian Hot Dog!!!! 2010/02/07 16:30:31 (permalink)
    Dog Boss

I posted in your other post about my experience with Tido's.

I lived 10 minutes from Tido's. I felt their dogs were just OK. It seemed the owner was never around and sometime the hot dogs were not hot enough.

It looks like the new owners may give Tido's what it needed. I'll have to try them next time I'm in the area.

So, you also may want to try Blitzburgers that are down the road. They serve a 4/1 grilled hot dog.

http://thegourmetchilidog.com/vendors/nj/BlitzburgersNewBruns_01.htm

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1