Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven

Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
2008/06/23 05:01:42 (permalink)

Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven

I have been trying to upload this restaurant into The Roadfood files for all to read. Each attempt has resulted in dissapointment as I must have made some mistake in sending what I posted. Dang!!!
I feel that Zuppardi's is worthy of incluson as a place to try and get a great pizza in the immediate New Haven region. They have the same pedigree as the 'Big Three' as far as longevity is concerned. They too, have been in business since the mid-30's. What makes them unique, is that they are nestled among a neighborhood of suburban houses. It is like having a pizza parlor on your block. I was down that way one day to take care of things, and then went there as soon as they opened the door.

This is the place from the outside. The sign looks a little raggedy, but this was due to a recent storm. There are houses all around and I could not step back any further, as I would have had to stand on someone's front yard.

This all there is to the inside. Not much, and unassuming.

The menu is posted on the wall. It has all the usual suspects, including clam. They use the same black felt push-pin board as the other three places. The 30's was a great decade for the push-pin business.

And here is the pizza itself. This is their sausage pie. I seem to be having problems taking a great photo of a pizza. The pizza grease always reflects back.

The proof is in the crust. Here is the underside. What is interesting is that they get these results using a standard pizza oven set at 550 degrees.

The unique thing about Zuppardi's is they make pizza that is sent out to regional bars. Here are pre-baked tomato pies fresh from the oven. They will be finished off at the bars. These same pies get shrink-wrapped and can be bought for you to take home and cook yourself.

This freezer holds a variety of frozen pies and meals.

Fresh baked pastry are at the front door.

I bought a few pies to cook for myself. This is what a sausage pie looks like in the shrink wrap. This pie costs only $5.00, a incredible bargain.

This is what it looks like after cooking in my countertop toaster/convection oven. I posted these two photos in the topic of 'Great Frozen Pizza?', as it does answer the question if there is such a thing. It can be done.
Zuppardi's also seems to answer another question. They manage to get the thin, crisp crusted results as the other guys without using a high-temp coal burning oven. It makes me wonder why other places in this nation are unable to duplicate pizza from this region.

I want to aknowledge that this piece was written due to comments from Michael Hoffman. He was right on the money. Michael, if you are reading this (and I know you are), I'll take more suggestions.

mark

15 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/23 05:29:22 (permalink)
    Looks tasty, mark! I have to say though, that there seems to be a difference between the pie at the restaurant and the ones that are pre=baked and frozen. the restaurant one appears to have the thin crust, but the crusts on the pre-baked ones look much thicker and perhaps even doughy (at the edges). Did you notice a difference between the one you ate there and the one you baked at home? I gotta say, I like the idea of broccoli rabe on a pizza!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18426
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/23 12:42:26 (permalink)
    I'll have one small plain, please.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5062
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/23 13:54:23 (permalink)
    So what exactly is on a plain pizza? I ask because mozzarella costs extra at Zuppardi's, but here in the Midwest I've never been anywhere where a plain pizza didn't have cheese...

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/23 14:10:38 (permalink)
    Plain is tomatoes and grated cheese -- parmesan or romano, whatever. That's the best apizza ever.
    doggydaddy
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/23 14:43:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Looks tasty, mark! I have to say though, that there seems to be a difference between the pie at the restaurant and the ones that are pre=baked and frozen. the restaurant one appears to have the thin crust, but the crusts on the pre-baked ones look much thicker and perhaps even doughy (at the edges). Did you notice a difference between the one you ate there and the one you baked at home? I gotta say, I like the idea of broccoli rabe on a pizza!

billyboy,

I don't recall a too substantial difference in the thickness of the crust, maybe they are made a little thicker to survive transportation of the fresh pies to the bars. To me, the outer crust with its yeast bubbles is one of my favorite aspects of eating pizza, so its appearence was fine with me. I already knew how good it tasted, so any doughiness may have been overlooked.
    The only problem is that the cheese was leoparding, preventing me from cooking it much further. It is hard to get that burnt edge without burning the cheese completely.

mark
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/24 04:10:34 (permalink)
    Damn, the secret is finally out. Zuppardi's has been my go-to place for a while, not the least because it's about 10 minutes closer than Wooster Street (and I don't feel like waiting forever for a pie most of the time, especially when I'm by myself.)

For the record, they're in West Haven, not East Haven (or were you trying to keep the secret going, too?)

Without question, their frozen pies are the finest I've had. Even my frugal father, a product of the Great Depression, has no problem dropping five bills on one (though he does manage to get two meals out of one.) If I'm preparing one for somebody who's never had it before, it'll be introduced as "what's considered to be the finest frozen pizza made" -- it goes without saying that the person doing the consideration is yours truly.

Also, and this is great news during ski season, Wilmington VT just south of Mount Snow is home to Tony Zuppardi's Apizza. It's owned and run by, I think, the great-grandson of the West Haven store's founder. The abeetz is in the same style, just as (or almost as) delicious, and they even have the same deal going on with frozen pies. I'll usually pick up 3 on the way to the lodge in Brattleboro and that takes care of lunch and dinner for a couple days. Plus they sell slices (most days!)
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/24 04:13:03 (permalink)
    Oh, the default cheese includes or is maybe entirely pecorino romano -- yes, that comes from sheep's milk -- which is responsible for the distinct, wonderful flavor.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/24 04:17:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

It is hard to get that burnt edge without burning the cheese completely.

I get my best results with a convection oven. And I go a little higher on temperature than what they suggest on the back of the wrapper.
    doggydaddy
    RE: Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2008/06/24 20:17:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by caratzas

==== Damn, the secret is finally out. Zuppardi's has been my go-to place for a while, not the least because it's about 10 minutes closer than Wooster Street (and I don't feel like waiting forever for a pie most of the time, especially when I'm by myself.)

For the record, they're in West Haven, not East Haven (or were you trying to keep the secret going, too?)

Without question, their frozen pies are the finest I've had. Even my frugal father, a product of the Great Depression, has no problem dropping five bills on one (though he does manage to get two meals out of one.) ===

This is a mistake of geographic proportions. It reminds me of a disaster movie that came out in the 60's, 'Krakatoa, East of Java'. The only problem was that Krakatoa is west of Java....

I go down to that area for the V.A hospital. Zuppardi's is a five minute drive with stoplights. It was a secret to me until I heard it mentioned here. I am looking for other suggestions... If they serve Foxon Park birch beer, that's even better.

mark

gabagool
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2011/11/08 19:02:34 (permalink)
    Just eat there.....................THE SINGLE BEST PIZZA I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY WHOLE LIFE.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, to me, than the big three in NH.
    The whole difference is the crust....it doesn't taste like pizza crust.....it tastes like italian bread.  And the rim is MUCH thicker than normal NH pizza, but the crust itself is thin, simply the rim is thick. 

The only dissappointment is that the next day, it was extremely soggy, like dominos soggy.  But, hot and fresh, unbeatable.

Here's my question.....WHAT makes this crust so different.  What??
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2011/11/12 17:36:05 (permalink)
    gabagool

Here's my question.....WHAT makes this crust so different.  What??

The water.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re:Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2011/11/12 17:41:15 (permalink)

Zuppardi's Apizza is possbly the best I've ever had.  Certainly in the top 3.   It's a very close tie with Pepe's in my opinion, and much less fuss and muss than Pepe's with Pepe's interval "seatings" and waits. 
     On our way up 95 to visit relatives in RI, Zuppardi's is a much quicker stop, with never a wait.   Been there many times.  Always great. 
    But, in my opinion, their frozen pies are not in the same class.  Eat a fresh one there, and bring the leftovers home to re-heat later.   

Glenn

gabagool
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2011/11/14 17:29:29 (permalink)
    The AMOUNT of water, maybe.....the water itself it isn't.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2011/11/14 23:02:17 (permalink)
    Definitely a better clam pie than Pepe's!  Their white pie with fresh clams, shucked to order, is the best I've had anywhere.  And I totally agree about the frozen ones -- not at all in the same class as a fresh one.  I wish I could get down there more than 1-2 times a year...  Chris
    doggydaddy
    Re:Zuppardi's Apizza in East Haven 2011/11/15 02:06:15 (permalink)
    Nice to see a return of Zuppardi's as a topic. A couple of things:
    1: I wish I tried their clam pie. I liked the house made sausage and consider east coast Italian sausage a benchmark of a great pie.
    2: Their frozen pie is not the same, but it is the best frozen pie that you can eat. Is there a better frozen pizza?
    3: I can take better photos now, without day-glo reflections.

mark 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1