a UTENSIL for eating WINGS?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 13:50:22 (permalink)
here's something I'd like to know...just HOW important was that phone call that Dan Ferrara missed, which led to his invention?

NYDan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 15:30:48 (permalink)
It's funny how some people feel that their opinion is the ONLY opinion.

As pdxyyz mentioned, simply wiping your hands doesn't always do the trick. Hot sause really gets into your skin. So if eating wings and ribs with trongs makes me a wussy... then so be it.

I bet there was a time in history when eating with a fork was considered wierd. People probably ate steak with their hands and called it "finger food." I guess we will have to wait a few hundred years to see what the outcome of this new utensil will be.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 15:45:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYDan

It's funny how some people feel that their opinion is the ONLY opinion.

As pdxyyz mentioned, simply wiping your hands doesn't always do the trick. Hot sause really gets into your skin. So if eating wings and ribs with trongs makes me a wussy... then so be it.

I bet there was a time in history when eating with a fork was considered wierd. People probably ate steak with their hands and called it "finger food." I guess we will have to wait a few hundred years to see what the outcome of this new utensil will be.

Are you one of the inventors, Dan??
SFS Fan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:01:22 (permalink)
I think this is a WONDERFUL device for a restauranteur to offer to his customers. If a restaurant serves wings, ribs, or any other finger food which gets your hands messy, the server can offer trongs at the customers request. If customer doesn't know what trongs are, the server can pull out a demo pair from his or her pocket. If the customer reacts positively to them, the restaurant gains another regular (assuming, of course, that the food is good. It should be obvious that trongs will not make bad restaurant food better) If the customer refuses the offer or reacts negatively to them, the restaurant at least creates a local buzz by having them. I suspect there will be more than a few customers who will request them, especially those with children. Trongs wouldn't work too well for really young kids (say, below age 8), but for those picky moms and dads who don't want their kids wiping their greasy fingers on their clothes, they may be a handy thing for their child to use.
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:07:06 (permalink)
Yes porkbeaks, I am the Dan who missed the call. And to answer the question, the call wasn't that important... it was just annoying that I missed it.

I know that trongs aren't for everyone. In fact, I figured I would get some negetive feedback in this forum. Trongs are not designed for the die hard wing fans who enjoy getting their fingers messy (although I question if anyone really ENJOYS being messy). They were invented for people like myself who enjoy wings from time to time, but don't enjoy getting messy.

In the test markets that we have run, we have found that trongs are more popular in bigger cities and in college towns.

One thing is for sure, people either love them or hate them... there is no inbetween :)
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:07:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SFS Fan

I think this is a WONDERFUL device for a restauranteur to offer to his customers. If a restaurant serves wings, ribs, or any other finger food which gets your hands messy, the server can offer trongs at the customers request. If customer doesn't know what trongs are, the server can pull out a demo pair from his or her pocket. If the customer reacts positively to them, the restaurant gains another regular (assuming, of course, that the food is good. It should be obvious that trongs will not make bad restaurant food better) If the customer refuses the offer or reacts negatively to them, the restaurant at least creates a local buzz by having them. I suspect there will be more than a few customers who will request them, especially those with children. Trongs wouldn't work too well for really young kids (say, below age 8), but for those picky moms and dads who don't want their kids wiping their greasy fingers on their clothes, they may be a handy thing for their child to use.

If not cost prohibitive, the restaurant could put their branding on them, have the food served with them regardless and let the customer take them home. A little pizzaz to the "buzz," so to speak. Ya' know, Gypsy was told, "Ya gotta have a gimmick."
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:10:44 (permalink)
quote:

Yes porkbeaks, I am the Dan who missed the call. And to answer the question, the call wasn't that important... it was just annoying that I missed it.

I know that trongs aren't for everyone. In fact, I figured I would get some negetive feedback in this forum. Trongs are not designed for the die hard wing fans who enjoy getting their fingers messy (although I question if anyone really ENJOYS being messy). They were invented for people like myself who enjoy wings from time to time, but don't enjoy getting messy.

In the test markets that we have run, we have found that trongs are more popular in bigger cities and in college towns.

One thing is for sure, people either love them or hate them... there is no inbetween :)

Now that the truth is out and we have you here, I have a question that occurred to me immediately. Are they not cumbersome? Could they not, in fact, make more of a mess than they prevent? Again the earlier reference to escargot comes to mind and I think of Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman," when her snail goes flying... .
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:19:42 (permalink)
They really do work in preventing the mess and they are easy to use. It takes about 3-5 wings before you really get the hang of using them (most people squeeze too hard at first).

When I compare that to the first time I used a fork, or chop-sticks, I guess this is a pretty short learning curve.

Big Frank
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:30:21 (permalink)
I can see these appealing to the Felix Unger's of the world.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:33:40 (permalink)
I agree with the fingernail sentiment in that I have long ones as well. My main dislike is that often messy things not only get under them, they also stain them. But, I will not cut them. I gave up nail biting years ago and like my nails. Plus, I eat more crab than wings and they come in handy for that!! LOL!!! I wouldn't mind testing them out of curiosity, but I've pretty much gotten my science down on using my fingers and keeping my nails to a minimum of necessary afterward maintenance, thankfully. What do you think about the marketing ideas, such as disposable ones or branding and giving them away? Just curious about that, too. If people did have their own, it isn't unheard of to bring your own utensils. The earlier post mentioning before forks brings to mind that when people did start using eating implements, it was initially the knife and folks were expected to bring their own. The same can be said today where I live. If one is invited to an oyster roast, one is expected to bring their own oyster knife, although the good host/hostess will have plenty to spare for those who aren't aware of this. I own a bunch of oyster knives... .
Sorry if I digress, it does seem pertitinent to the train of thought, at least to me.
Thanks for answering and so quickly, as well.
m.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18947
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:35:35 (permalink)
Well, now we know that the original poster put an unpaid advertisement on the board.

SPAM Alert!
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:40:18 (permalink)
It wasn't an advertisement. If I was looking for a quick bang, I wouldn't still be here writing. I was looking for honest feedback and I knew that if I started off by saying it was my product, the feedback might not have been as blunt.
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 16:48:35 (permalink)
Yes Matilda, they are disposable. They can be branded as well, but a large order would have to be placed by the company to cover the tooling costs to change the mold.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 17:13:00 (permalink)
quote:

Yes Matilda, they are disposable. They can be branded as well, but a large order would have to be placed by the company to cover the tooling costs to change the mold.

Could they be stamped?
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 17:15:01 (permalink)
Yes, that is another method that could be used. Of course the ink would have to be food safe.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 17:22:07 (permalink)
Would your advertising budget cover the cost of say, allowing people to order one set per household for free from your website? You could even run a limited campaign for it and the first so many customers to request them could receive a set, based on numbers of requests or numbers you'd be willing to part with for free, what have you... .

As to the branding, do they not have your own branding on them now? Name, address, phone, web address, etc.? Surely they have that... .

Of course, cost per unit, etc. has to be taken into consideration...I realize that. I just don't know what production runs you on something like this.
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 17:47:00 (permalink)
We have considered the free sample idea, but right now we are in negotiations with some major restaurant chains. We really haven't begun to market them for home use yet.

They are branded with our company logo, but we wouldn't mind removing that if a big company wanted to order a large quantity.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/20 20:23:17 (permalink)
Well, if they are popular in the places you mention, I suggest you make a quick bang and get out of the business. Build it up fast and sell the whole thing to a larger company. The product seems to have "novelty" written all over it. I do not buy into the idea that it will have the lasting power of a fork. And even if it does last longer than a quick fad, I can't imagine a two person enterprise competing with a major manufacturer when your patent expires. (that's no slam on you. I'm only speaking to the idea of how cheaply plastic pieces are manufactured and sold by overseas corporations)

But, I can see marketing them to restaurants. Maybe Hooters. Not sure of the marketing campaign for them...maybe...Girls don't like messy boys...or...At Hooter's, you won't get sticky fingers from your food.

I doubt individuals would buy boxes of these. It doesn't seem to be something one would need at home.

And, at a restaurant, as someone said, after you use it, you're not likely to stick it in your pocket and walk out with it. Also, trying to get these on retail shelves would be a tough job for a small company. You're probably smart sticking to the food business and bulk buyers like a chain restaurant.

I'm originally from CNY, and we're pretty serious about our wings. Hard to believe Trongs would take off in that area. But, hey, I'm no marketing guru for sure!
Good luck Dan.

Oh, PS - the only bad thing, now you're without an excuse when you miss a call!

DandyDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 13:04:52 (permalink)
What a cheap plug. NYDan you could have fessed up from the beginning and asked our opinions instead of trying to sneak in through the back door. However you're not the first (and probably won't be the last) to try and advertise their product on this forum. A dead giveaway is when first time posters suggest we try the new and latest widget and their strong, firm, emotions start to give them away.
On that note, IMO, eating any type of finger food with or without utensils is a personal preferance. I like my wings extra wet and I keep the mess to a minimum.....somethimes!!!
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 13:31:38 (permalink)
Just my two cents, but if you don't like the mess, isn't that why most places offer boneless as well?
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 15:58:20 (permalink)
DandyDog,

I already explained why I didn't "fess up" as you call it. If I was looking for a "cheap plug," don't you think I would have put the word "Trongs" in the subject line of the thread for all the people who don't bother to read through all the posts?

I was looking for honest opinions... many times people give much more positive feedback when they know they are speaking to the inventor.

DandyDog
Cheeseburger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 16:27:14 (permalink)
quote:

It wasn't an advertisement. If I was looking for a quick bang, I wouldn't still be here writing. I was looking for honest feedback and I knew that if I started off by saying it was my product, the feedback might not have been as blunt.

NYDan,
Shame on you....you're condradicting yourself!
It took you to post 5 times before you fessed up and that was only because a member asked you point blank.
Trust me, you would have gotten a blunt, honest answer if you were straight forward from the get go.
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 16:40:39 (permalink)
Where exactly did I contradict myself?
DandyDog
Cheeseburger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 16:48:45 (permalink)
quote:

DandyDog,

I already explained why I didn't "fess up" as you call it. If I was looking for a "cheap plug," don't you think I would have put the word "Trongs" in the subject line of the thread for all the people who don't bother to read through all the posts?

I was looking for honest opinions... many times people give much more positive feedback when they know they are speaking to the inventor.

If you read this quote and then the one above you'll see where you condradicted yourself
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 16:54:46 (permalink)
DandyDog,

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I really don't se where I cotradicted myself.

You do me Contradict, right?

Pronunciation: \#716;kän-tr#601;-#712;dikt\
Function: transitive verb
1 : to assert the contrary of : take issue with <contradict a rumor>
2 : to imply the opposite or a denial of <your actions contradict your words>
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 18:24:02 (permalink)
I tried the initial link for this miracle product, but alas I got bored because it was taking forever to load and looked lame. I do think anyone offering such a product needs a good dope slap.

Hello! A superior product was invented eons ago for the dainty among us. They are called chopsticks, they are very cheap and available everywhere.

Personally, I am not a dainty eater. I want that hot sauce on my fingers, how would I know if the wings were finger licking good otherwise? Certain foods have been created to enjoy very simply and hands on as it were.

I would suggest though that die hard hands on eaters of spicy food such as myself, wash their hands before using the water closet. Afterwards might be a good idea as well.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 18:41:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DandyDog

quote:

DandyDog,

If you read this quote and then the one above you'll see where you condradicted yourself

actually he didn't. He stated, when people know he's the inventor, he finds that he get more positive reviews, i.e. people say it's great rather than maybe their true feelings. When Dan is a round people who don't know he's the inventor, he gets a wider variety of answers. Therfore, he felt that if he exposed himself too soon as the owner, he wouldn't get the blunt answers.

I will say, though, Dan, had you lurked the site a little longer, you would've realized that this group wouldn't have held back their true feelings on the product had they known initially you were the inventor.

The site often gets spammed by people looking to post ads in the forums, which is a no-no. It's happened enough that people get upset when anything remotely resembles an ad.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2464
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 18:57:20 (permalink)
NYDan, a few questions for you. First, sorry that many on this site seem to be mocking the idea simply because they don't subscribe to it themselves. Folks, there is no right or wrong way to eat wings. If I'm paying for my own wings, I'll eat 'em whatever way I choose. So the question now is "Is there a market for this?" Are there enough people who want finger foods but don't want the mess on their fingers? You might be on to something, however, as one previous poster said, where would you store them after you use them? It seems it bit of a chore to remember to bring them along and have something to store them in after use. Personally, I think a lot of people don't plan to go out for wings, they head to the bar after work for happy hour and grab a pitcher and some wings. For me, it would just be one more thing for me to remember to carry on my person. I try to be a minimalist regarding what is in my pockets. How many out there are like me in that regard? Disposable might be a good idea if they are biodegradable, but what kind and level of waste would be created by the manufacturing process? Just my two cents.
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/21 19:00:49 (permalink)
Amen, say it again, Scorereader!
NYDan
Junior Burger
RE: a UTENSIL for eating WINGS? 2007/12/22 00:05:47 (permalink)
Thank you Scorereader for taking the time to really read what I wrote. And I see what you are talking about with people not being afraid to be brutally honest here : ) But that is what I was looking for, so it is a good thing.

billyboy, you ask some good questions that I have asked myself as well. First, these are disposable. In fact, we haven't made a non-disposable version yet. We are currently working on a biodegradable material. They were designed to nest into each other in order to ship in smaller boxes (smaller boxes = more on a truck = less fuel used to deliver them). Not only is that better for the environment, but it saves on shipping costs too.

The idea of someone actually bringing their own trongs to a restaurant was never part of my vision. The way it works now (in the few restaurants that currently carry trongs) is that they give them out with every order of wings (just like you get catsup when you order a burger). Some people use them... and some don't. At the end of the meal, the trongs are left on the table for the waiter to dispose of them.

Greyghost, although I do enjoy a swift "dope slap" once in a while, I think even you would agree that eating wings with chop sticks would be nearly impossible. And since you brought it up, think about the first time chop sticks were invented. Imagine if you had never seen chop sticks before and I showed you two sticks and told you that billions of them would be sold each year to eat food (including rice). You would have told me I was crazy. Now I'm NOT saying that trongs will ever compare to the success of chop sticks, but crazier inventions have worked (how about the Chia Pet).

I do appreciate your feedback on the website though. What makes you say it is lame? What could I do to make it better?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1