Helpful Replya corny question...

Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
2012/07/19 09:40:21 (permalink)

a corny question...

tomorrow I will be helping with dinner for a small program ( only 10 people)that helps homeless families; the way it works is we preapare food at home, then bring it to a church and serve it. I will need to leave home at 430 , arrive at the chutch  at 5 , serve at 6 ( the doors will not be open before 5) . I would like to bring corn on the cob , but cannot figure out how to do it; since the church only has a small electric stove , I am afraid a big pot of water will not boil in time - also cannot imagine how to do it at home by my usual method and transport it....maybe I should just do frozen kernels- thanks for any help.    
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4568
Re: a corny question... 2012/07/19 09:44:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Wrap the corn in a damp paper towel, 2 minutes in the microwave, 3 ears at a time.  Works like a charm!
Hot Dog Empire
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re: a corny question... 2012/07/19 09:53:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Steam the corn in the husk. Soak the cobs in water for 30 minutes, wrap in foil, place on the grill for 20-30 minutes depending on temp. Place the steamed corn in a aluminum tin and cover with foil. It will stay hot for 1 1/2hrs, warm for 2 1/2.
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2119
Re: a corny question... 2012/07/19 11:23:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Prepare the corn on the cob as you would normally do.  Roast/steam in a warmer-roaster oven with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. After the water is hot, turn down to medium (180 -200 deg).   These should be done in about 45 min.     ... You can cook these at home and transport in the warmer and hold hot until ready to serve.

The last time I did this with 4 dozen ears of corn, I think they were ready in less than an hour. But,  I had plenty of time and held the corn for about another hour before serving.  So I'm not 100% certain of the cooking time. The corn was perfect.  The electric roaster was perfect for starting and forgetting until ready to serve.

OH .... In case you don't have a roaster.   You only need a 2 to 4 of inches of water in the bottom of the pot and a lid.  The water should boil & steam in a few minutes, faster than a full pot, and the corn should cook in less than an hour.  Add water if needed and adjust heat to a slow boil. Don't steam out all the water.    The difference here, is that you can burn the corn on the bottom if the pot steams dry.
post edited by edwmax - 2012/07/19 11:34:55
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2119
Re: a corny question... 2012/07/21 12:04:32 (permalink)
OK  ... what did you do an how did the corn turn out?? 
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
Re: a corny question... 2012/07/21 13:57:12 (permalink)
thanks all - I never knew you could make corn in just a little bit of water..did not seem to suffer at all...asol had really good fresh corn,picked in the morning, and only 5 for one dollar- aint summer grand!
Ed Face
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:a corny question... 2012/07/21 15:57:32 (permalink)
Here is a  a great way to do fresh corn from the Barefoot Contessa: Cut corn off cob, saute it in a pan with alot of butter, towards the end add salt & pepper. It takes about 10 minutes, some kernnels may even carmalize, which adds to the flavor. I believe this is the proper way to serve corn to a crowd as some may not have all their teeth.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
Re: a corny question... 2012/08/04 08:27:49 (permalink)
edwmax

Prepare the corn on the cob as you would normally do.  Roast/steam in a warmer-roaster oven with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. After the water is hot, turn down to medium (180 -200 deg).   These should be done in about 45 min.     ... You can cook these at home and transport in the warmer and hold hot until ready to serve.

The last time I did this with 4 dozen ears of corn, I think they were ready in less than an hour. But,  I had plenty of time and held the corn for about another hour before serving.  So I'm not 100% certain of the cooking time. The corn was perfect.  The electric roaster was perfect for starting and forgetting until ready to serve.

OH .... In case you don't have a roaster.   You only need a 2 to 4 of inches of water in the bottom of the pot and a lid.  The water should boil & steam in a few minutes, faster than a full pot, and the corn should cook in less than an hour.  Add water if needed and adjust heat to a slow boil. Don't steam out all the water.    The difference here, is that you can burn the corn on the bottom if the pot steams dry.

i've done the same, 2 dozen ears of corn in an electric nesco roaster oven with all of the corn suspended on the turkey roasting grate, very little water in the bottom of the pan. works great, corn cobs tend to hold a lot of heat so you can cook them far ahead of time and they hold and reheat well.
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1