a love story

too bad he's closing in NYC, someone somewhere else will be happy

http://www.divisionofsafety.com/NATURALLYRISEN/

http://www.unapizza.com/

10 Replies Related Threads

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:a love story 2009/10/01 14:59:10 (permalink)
    nice movie , but the finished product looked skimpy on the sauce and overall....I can see why he might have to close in ny where there is so much good, real pizza around...maybe he should come to CA ,looks more like what they go gaga over here
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:a love story 2009/10/01 16:10:16 (permalink)
    californyguy

nice movie , but the finished product looked skimpy on the sauce and overall....I can see why he might have to close in ny where there is so much good, real pizza around...maybe he should come to CA ,looks more like what they go gaga over here

Don't go by the run of the mill NYC pizza, this guy had a real following.  Personally, I never had but I know people that are in mourning of this guy's move.  With these shops it's virtually all about the crust (note naturally risen).  Here's a link to someone who really tracts this stuff.   Note Una Pizza Napoletana placed #3 on tier 1. Also note that the list has a few California places listed; if you can, give one a try and report back.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:a love story 2009/10/01 20:05:58 (permalink)
    Good pizza, but a bit pricey for my tastes. 
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 01:10:20 (permalink)
    It's been closed for a while now.  A new restaurant is already almost open in it's place.  Good riddance, I say.  Arrogant and overpriced.  Delicious, yes.  Worthy of my hard earned money, not even close.  
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 09:02:43 (permalink)
    Pigiron

It's been closed for a while now.  A new restaurant is already almost open in it's place.  Good riddance, I say.  Arrogant and overpriced.  Delicious, yes.  Worthy of my hard earned money, not even close.

I've heard similar comments from other former patrons.  Some of these guys get such swelled heads when a magazine or 2 writes them up as the greatest thing since caviar.   They want to be rock stars even more than they want to be chefs.  If not for the fact they can create great tasting pizza, they would be completely ignored.  At some point they need to realize they are pricing themselves way out of line.  But then again, maybe they want it that way.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 09:50:50 (permalink)
    If I remember...wasn't this guy first in Point Pleasant...He had great pizza,made according to the Italian pizza association or something like that...We read in the local paper when he moved to NYC. His pizza was superb...yes pricey...but we splurged once in a while.....it brought me back to my pizza eating days in Italy....maybe he'll return to point Pleasant, where he's appreciated!!!!!!
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 15:46:46 (permalink)
    Pigiron

are you saying the pizza was arrogant?  or are you calling Anthony arrogant.  What type of transaction did you have with Anthony to lead you to that conclusion?  
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 16:54:20 (permalink)
    tommyeats
    are you saying the pizza was arrogant?  or are you calling Anthony arrogant.  What type of transaction did you have with Anthony to lead you to that conclusion?  

I ate there about a half-dozen times during their run (my bridge-and-tunnel friends always begged to go there).  Arrogant doesn't even begin to describe the staff.  Downright snotty would be a better description- and it wasn't one isolated incident, it seemed like it was policy.  One time I walked to the back to admire the oven.  When I asked Mr. Mangieri something about the history of the space, and he looked at me and walked away without a word.  Nice way to treat a paying customer. 

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 19:33:59 (permalink)
    When he ran his place in Pt. Pleasant, he was amicable and loved to talk about how he made his pizza. We found him a nice guy!!!!!
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1597
    Re:a love story 2009/10/02 22:22:22 (permalink)
    << Arrogant doesn't even begin to describe the staff.  Downright snotty would be a better description- and it wasn't one isolated incident, it seemed like it was policy>>

Ditto. I had this place on my NY To Do list for at least a couple of years. I made two attempts to eat there, each time it just seemed like too much of a hassle for us to deal with the arrogant staff (not to mention the clientele..) while waiting for a precious table. It's New York, there's plenty of other great pizza. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1